Basel v Man City Betting Preview | Tuesday 13th February
In our Basel v Man City betting preview we look at team news, potential lineups, stats & facts, head-to-head, popular bets and more for Tuesday evening’s Champions League last 16 clash.
Basel v Man City Betting Preview
Venue: St Jakob-Park
Channel: BT Sport 3
Manchester City are still huge favourites for victory in their Champions League last 16 first leg tie on Tuesday, despite them travelling to FC Basel.
Only two sides have beaten Manchester City this season, Liverpool in the league and Shaktar Donetsk in the Champions League. The latter came in the group F of this competion but only after Pep Guardiola’s side had already achieved qualification to the knock-out stage.
The premier league leaders were in made favourites for the entire competition given the apparent capabilities, or lack of, of their opponents.
FC Basel do, however, boast a respectable record against English opponents this season, having beat Manchester United 1-0 in the group stages.
Dimitri Oberlin is FCB’s top scorer with four goals in six appareances so far. More familiar to English domestic league players and fans alike, however, is his strike partner Ricky Van Wolfswinkel who was relegated from the premier league with Norwich during the 13-14 season.
The hosts currently lie second in the Swiss Super league.
The hosts are without injured goalkeeper Germano Vailati and Midfielder Luca Zuffi.
Visitors Manchester City are without long-term absentee defender Benjamin Mendy while midfielders Leroy Sane and Fabian Delph join forward Gabriel Jesus on the injury list also.
Potential FC Basel Starting XI: Vaclik, Lang, Suchy, Alvarez, Petretta, Stocker, Serey Die, Xhaka, Elyounoussi, van Wolfswinkel, Oberlin
Potential Man City Starting XI: Ederson, Walker, Stones, Laporte, Danilo, De Bruyne, Fernandinho, Gundogan, Silva, Aguero, Sterling
Stats & Facts
- FC Basel have lost just once in 11 matches in all competitions.
- Basel beat Manchester Utd, 1-0 in the group stages of the same competition.
- FC Basel finished second in Group A, behind Manchester Utd and won four of their six matches.
- Man City have lost just twice in all competitions this season.
- Man City lost their last group fixture in this competition, 2-0 to Shaktar Donetsk, but had already qualified for the knock-out stage and still topped their group.
- Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has won the champions league twice, both during his time as coach of Barcelona.
FC Basel – 10/1, Draw – 4/1, Man City – 4/11
- Man City to win to nil – 5/4
- Man City to win the tournament, outright – 10/3