Bears v Lions Betting Preview, Odds & Tips | 22/11/18
Ben Rolfe (@benrolfe15) previews Chicago Bears @ Detroit Lions and provides us with his best bets for the big Thanksgiving NFC North showdown by analysing team news, potential line-ups, head-to-head, key stats and facts and more.
Chicago Bears @ Detroit Lions Betting Preview, Odds & Tips
- Date: 22/11/18
- Time: 17:30
- Venue: Ford Field, Detroit
- Channel: Sky Sports Action
These are two teams in very different places right now. The Chicago Bears (7-3) are riding high atop the NFC North and the Lions are in last place with a 4-6 record. The Bears have built their team around a rock solid defence, which became an elite unit when they added Khalil Mack in the offseason. The ominous sign for the Lions is that they lost the first matchup between the two teams with Mack out with an ankle injury.
However, the Lions are coming off a big win against the Carolina Panthers at home. The Lions defence stepped up in a big way in that game and they will need to do it again if they are to stand a chance in this game. One thing in their favour is that they played at home in the early game Sunday, while the Bears played in the Sunday Night Football game and have to travel to Detroit for this game.
There are going to be a lot of players missing practice this week but possibly suiting up for the game. The biggest question marks for the Lions are Kerryon Johnson, Marvin Jones, Ezekiel Ansah, Damon Harrison and Darius Slay. I have big worries for the Lions if more than three of these do not suit up.
Mitchell Trubisky was listed on the injury report this week and that is definitely something to check Thursday if you are planning to back the Bears. Other news are Adam Shaheen and Aaron Lynch with concussions, but neither of them are major.
Head To Head
- The Chicago Bears lead 98-74-5 all-time against the Detroit Lions.
- The Detroit Lions have won nine of the past 11 matchups between the two, dating back to 2013.
- The Lions are 5-0 at home in the last five games in Detroit, including winning the last Thanksgiving game 34-17.
- The Chicago Bears won the last game 34-22 in Chicago.
Key Stats & Facts
- The Lions have given up the fourth most passing touchdowns this season with 22. In addition, they have forced the fifth lowest amount of interceptions, not a good combination.
- The Chicago Bears have forced the most turnovers, most interceptions and third most fumbles in the NFL this season. They also lead the league in rushing yards, touchdowns and yards per attempt allowed.
- The Bears have scored the 6th most points in the league and have rank 4th in terms of least points given up.
- Chicago Bears 8/15 (Betfair)
- Detroit Lions 43/25 (Marathon Bet)
I think the Bears are the significantly better team but the situation is less than ideal for them. I would avoid this line with Chicago favoured by four. However, I do not see many scenarios where they blow the Lions out on a short week in Detroit. Therefore, this game would be a good one to include in a two team six-point teaser, taking the Lions to remain within 10. You can then pair that with the Redskins +14.5 or the Cowboys -2.5 to get close to even odds and add some spice to your evening.
The over/under for this game is set around the 45 point mark and I would lean to the under. I think the Bears try and control this game on the ground and I cannot see the Lions putting up more than 20 points against this Bears defence. The same theory applies to the under on total touchdowns at 4.5. This game does not have a huge amount of fun bets this week so just sit back and enjoy afternoon football involving a team that could be a contender to appear in the NFC Championship game.