Borussia Dortmund v Tottenham Betting Preview, Odds & Tips | 05/03/19
Josh Waudby (@Josh_Waudby) previews Dortmund v Spurs and provides us with his best bets for Saturdays late kick off by analysing team news, potential line-ups, head-to-head, key stats and facts and more.
- 2019 Profit & Loss: +0.5pts
Dortmund v Tottenham Betting Preview, Odds & Tips
- Date: 05/03/2019
- Time: 20:00
- Venue: Signal Iduna Park
- Channel: BT Sport 1
Dortmund are Spurs are both enjoying very respectable seasons so far. The German side sit top of the league still, only by a mere 3 points now as Bayern have seized every opportunity when Dortmund have dropped points. But for Dortmund even to be 1st for so long is a very strong achievement given the huge distance in squad value to Bayern, and their lack of ability to really challenge over the last few seasons.
Spurs in the other hand look the best outside Liverpool and Man City in the Premier League. They’re form has slightly dipped of late with a few injuries popping up to the likes of Kane and Alli. Although it looks highly unlikely that spurs could try fashion a late entrance to the title race, they have still enjoyed one of their better seasons and a run in the Champions League will come kindly to them as they have the ability to focus more into it.
Piszczek, Pulisic and Schmelzer are all unlikely to feature in this due to injuries. Spurs also have three injuries themselves. Dier is out still after his operation for tonsillitis. Alli is on the road for a comeback but its unlikely he will be ready to feature at all in this game, and Winks is also a doubt following his hip injury from the game against Chelsea.
Potential Dortmund Starting XI: Burki, Hakimi, Toprak, Diallo, Zagadou, Witsel, Delaney, Sancho, Gotze, Reus, Alcacer
Potential Spurs Starting XI: Lloris, Trippier, Sanchez, Foyth, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Wanyama, Winks, Eriksen, Son, Kane
Head To Head
- The first leg went the way of Spurs, with an emphatic 3-0 victory. If spurs can hold out this game the way they did in the reverse, it would seem the tie may be all but over.
- They have met 4 times previous to this over the last few seasons and both took equal grounds, with Spurs winning 2 and Dortmund also winning 2. Dortmund’s wins however came in the inferior Europa League as oppose to Spurs Champions League victories.
- Spurs did the double over Dortmund in the group stages last season, which left Dortmund with a measly 2 points from all 6 group stage games.
Key Stats & Facts
- Neither team comes into the game on good form. Dortmund have only 1 win from their last 5 games, and Spurs have only 2. Dortmund have managed to blow a 9 point lead from Bayern and now sit level on points, so will come into this game probably not with the most positive mindset.
- Spurs have all but ruled themselves out of the title race aswell with their recent results, so the champions league is all the Londoners really have left to challenge.
- Dortmund 1/1
- Draw 13/5
- Tottenham 5/2
Spurs don’t have to push on for anything so they can happily sit and maintain their 3 goal lead. I sense the game will be much more of a shut out for Dortmund and they will spend all the game trying to break through Spurs’ resilient defence. A draw could be a good play here, given that neither team is on fantastic form and Spurs won’t be in any rush to score. The draw is available at 29/10 with Betfair. If you wanted some extra value, you could take either 0-0 or 1-1 at 15/1 and 6/1 respectively.
The other angle I like to take is a card bet. Dortmund to receive the first card is prices up at 11/8 with Skybet. Dortmund have a lot more at stake to Spurs and can’t afford to concede again. This will leave them having to take a lot more risks, which could end up leaving them vulnerable defensively.