Celtic v Alashkert Betting Preview, Odds & Tips | 18th July
Anthony Olsson (@Ant_olsson93) previews Celtic v Alashkert and provides us with his best bets for Wednesday’s Champions league Qualifier by analysing team news, potential line-ups, head-to-head, key stats and facts and more.
Celtic v Alashkert Betting Preview, Odds & Tips
- Date: 18/07/18
- Time: 19:45
- Venue: Celtic Park
- Channel: N/A
So the World Cup is over and it’s back to the grind of club football. The first round of Champions League Qualifying is well underway. Whilst most people were watching England’s World Cup campaign come to an agonising end, Celtic were taking on Armenian Champions Alashkert. The Bhoys left Armenia with 3 goals and a clean sheet and they look certain to get through to the second round of qualifying, barring any miracles for Alashkert.
Celtic are 1/14 (Ladbrokes) to win the game at Celtic Park, whilst a win for Alashkert is 55/1 (Ladbrokes). All signs point to Celtic dominating this game despite missing a few key players due to their World Cup excursions.
As mentioned before, Celtic ran out comfortable 3-0 winners in the first leg thanks to goals from Edouard, Forrest and McGregor. They’ll be looking to better that result on when they play in front of their home crowd for the first time this season in a competitive environment. Odsonne Edouard opened the scoring when the two sides met last week and I think he’s a good bet to open the scoring again on Wednesday night.
Celtic will be looking to make light work of Alashkert once more and despite a spirted display last time out from the Armenian side. The Bhoys will looked to put the game beyond doubt with early goals, a half time score of 2-0 to Celtic is 10/3 (BetBright) and could be good value with Celtic possibly looking to rest players as they continue their preparations for the new season ahead.
- Tom Rogic and Cristian Gamboa are back with the Celic squad following the World Cup, but they will not feature in the match. Defenders Boyata and Mikael Lustig have yet to return following their exploits at the World Cup.
- Injuries rule out Jonny Hayes and Lewis Morgan but goalkeeper Craig Gordon is back in the squad and could feature.
- Since the first leg, Alashkert have signed midfielder Ghukas Poghosyan. The 24 year old has one cap for Armenia.
Potential Celtic Starting XI: Gordon, Brown, Ajer, Forrest, Hendry, Simunovic, Ntcham, Edouard, McGregor, Demble, Tierney
Potential Alashkert Starting XI: Cancarevic, Sekulic, Daghbashyan, Voskanyan, Nenadovic, Dashyan, Reis De Jesus, Praznovsky, Yedigaryan, Grigoryan, A Yedigaryan
Head To Head
- The first leg of this tie was the first ever meeting between the two sides.
Key Stats & Facts
- Alashkert won the Armenian Premier League last season, winning 14 of their 30 games, in a league that includes just 6 teams.
- This will be the second time that the Armenians have travelled to Scotland. In 2015 they knocked out St Johnstone on away goals after the game finished 2-2 on aggregate.
- Celtic 1/14
- Draw 14/1
- Alashkert 55/1
Celtic should be able to start quickly against their Armenian counterparts on Wednesday night. Captain, Scott Brown has been talking about getting a fast start and putting the game to bed. I believe that Celtic will be looking to have the game wrapped by half time and they should be able to play with more vigor than they did in the sweltering heat of Armenia.