Chelsea v Newcastle Betting Preview | 28th January
In our Chelsea v Newcastle betting preview, we look at team news, potential line-ups, stats and facts, popular bets and more for Sunday’s FA Cup tie.
Chelsea v Newcastle Betting Preview
Venue: Stamford Bridge
Channel: BT Sport 2
Chelsea will be hoping to maintain their position in their only domestic trophy this season following the visit of Newcastle United in the FA Cup 4th round.
Chelsea were knocked out the league cup on Wednesday after a 2-1 defeat to Arsenal, following a 0-0 stalemate in the first leg.
Eden Hazard scored his 12th goal of the season against Arsenal and became Chelsea’ joint top scorer alongside suspended Alvaro Morata.
Newcastle have three victories in seven matches leading up to their trip to Stamford Bridge.
The visitors, however, are looking over there shoulder in the league, currently just one point from safety.
The FA cup is also Newcastle’s sole distraction from their task of premier league survival this season.
Chelsea first choice goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, is unavailable through injury.
Willian is doubtful for the hosts after picking up a knock against Arsenal on Wednesday, and could be replaced by Ross Barkley who made his debut in the same fixture.
Leading scorer Alvaro Morata is suspended from his red card against Norwich in the previous round.
Former Chelsea defender, Kennedy, is cup tied for new club Newcastle.
Another defender missing for the visitors is Jesus Gamez, due to injury.
Potential Chelsea Starting XI: Caballero, Azpilicueta, Christensen, Rudiger, Moses, Kante, Bakayoko, Alonso, Barkley, Pedro, Hazard
Potential Newcastle Starting XI: Elliot, Yedlin, Lascelles, Clark, Dummett, Ritchie, Hayden, Merino, Atsu, Diame, Gayle
Stats & Facts
- Chelsea have failed to score in three of their last six matches.
- The hosts have kept eight clean-sheets in their last 12 fixtures.
- Chelsea have just one win in seven in all competitions.
- Newcastle were knocked out at this stage last season to League One side Oxford United.
- The last time Chelsea won this competition was in 2012.
- Rafael Benitez has won this competition before, in 2006 with Liverpool.
- If Newcastle win, it will be their first appearance in the 5th round of the FA Cup since the 05/06 season.
Head To Head
- These two sides have met on 136 occasions.
- Chelsea won their 56th victory over Newcastle with a 3-1 victory in December.
- Newcastle have beaten Chelsea 45 times in all competitions.
Chelsea – 4/9, Draw – 4/1, Newcastle – 13/2
- Draw – 4/1
- Chelsea clean-sheet – 11/10