Scunthorpe v Rotherham Play-Off 1st Leg Betting Preview | 12th May
In our Scunthorpe v Rotherham betting preview we look at team news, potential lineups, stats & facts, head-to-head, popular bets and more for this League One play off first leg.
Scunthorpe v Rotherham Play-Off 1st Leg Betting Preview
Venue: Glanford Park
Channel: Sky Sports Football
Scunthorpe ended their season by continuing their ruthless unbeaten streak to eight games with a 1-1 draw at home to Bradford whilst Rotherham snatched a 1-0 home win against Blackpool to secure their 4th place finish the season after their relegation from the second tier.
The previous meeting between the two sides came in February, where Rotherham came out 1-2 winners and secured the double over Scunthorpe for the first time in their history. With this in mind, the bookies have made Rotherham strong favourites to qualify for the final for the opportunity of promotion and an illustrious set of cash. Rotherham are priced at 4/9 to qualify here, leaving The Irons huge outsiders, priced at 13/8. I find it hard to believe that the sides seem this far apart, despite the five point gap at the end of the season, considering Scunthorpe’s current unbeaten run and Rotherham’s poor away form as of late. If The Milers can keep this game tight, however, then they should see over the claret and blue in the second leg to secure their spot in the final.
Scunthorpe head into the play-offs with a somewhat inconsistent home record, winning only 9 of their 23 home games and, before a run of 2 in 3 home wins, went 7 without a win on their own turf. This is the kind of inconsistency which saw Graham Alexander leave his position as manager, seeing Nick Daws step in as caretaker manager and seemingly take ownership for the remainder of the season. This is similarly the case in Yorkshire where Paul Warne took charge at the end of last season, when The Millers were relegated very early on. He has since kept his job and done some fine work leading his team to a fourth place finish and the chance of returning to the championship at the first time of asking.
I expect this game to see few goals, meaning it is hard to predict the match result but if i were to decide, I’d suggest Rotherham will keep it tight and try and keep the game in the balance for the second leg. Although, Scunthorpe’s chance of qualifying presents strong value with the bookmakers but i would perhaps stay clear of outrights for these playoff ties. A 1-1 draw is my prediction meaning BTTS or under 2.5 goals are my best bets.
Joe Newell (groin) is likely to miss out for the visitors which is a blow.
Potential Scunthorpe Starting XI: Gilks, McArdle, Vermijl, Townsend, Burgess, Bishop, Morris, Lewis, McGeehan, Yates, Novak
Potential Rotherham Starting XI: Rodak, Emmanuel, Ihiekwe, Wood, Mattock, Taylor, Vaulks, Palmer, Williams, Smith, Balls
Stats & Facts
- The home side are unbeaten in 8 games, with four 1-1 score lines and four wins ‘to ni’.
- 5 of their last 6 at home have seen under 2.5 goals.
- Scunthorpe haven’t scored more than 2 goals at home since December.
- 4 of Rotherham’s last 5 have not seen both teams score, with all seeing under 2.5 goals.
- Rotherham have only won 2 of their last 7 away games, losing 4.
- Scunthorpe have only failed to score once in 22 games whereas Rotherham have failed 3 times in this time frame.
Head To Head
- Rotherham won both previous ties this season, leading at half time in both.
- Prior to this, Scunthorpe won the previous 5, and have only lost once at home to Rotherham in 7 games.
- 5 of the last 7 have seen under 2.5 goals.
- 5 of the last 7 at Scunthorpe have seen both teams score.
- Rotherham to qualify – 4/9
- Draw and under 2.5 goals – 3/1
Scunthorpe 3/2 Draw 9/4 Rotherham 21/10
- BTTS – 4/5
- 1-1 – 5/1
- Under 2.5 goals – 8/11