West Brom v Southampton Betting Preview | Saturday 17th February
In our West Brom v Southampton betting preview we look at team news, potential line-ups, stats & facts, head-to-head, popular bets and more for Saturday’s FA Cup fifth round tie.
West Brom v Southampton Betting Preview
Venue: The Hawthorns
West Brom look to put an embarrassing week behind them as they entertain Mauricio Pellegrino’s Southampton side in the fifth round of the FA Cup on Saturday.
It was reported that four senior Baggies players were questioned by Catalonia police after stealing a taxi outside a fast-food restaurant in Barcelona on Thursday, during West Brom’s warm-weather training trip.
Baggies boss Alan Pardew went on record saying that the behaviour was ‘unacceptable and that he ‘felt a bit let down’.
With both sides struggling for league form and sitting in the relegation places, this cup tie could prove to be a welcome distraction with a place in the quarter finals up for grabs.
This fixture is a repeat of the Premier League matchup earlier in the month which saw The Saints come from behind to win 3-2.
West Brom, however, will be buoyed by their excellent performance in the previous round, where they beat Liverpool in a thrilling encounter at Anfield.
Jay Rodriguez impressed on the night, scoring twice as they beat the Reds 3-2.Prior to that fixture, The Albion beat Exeter 2-0 in the third round.
Southampton’s cup run has seen them beat two London clubs so far, with narrow 1-0 wins against both Fulham and Watford respectively.
West Brom could hand Egyptian international defender Ali Gabr his debut after the January loan-signing secured his work permit in time.
On-loan striker Daniel Sturridge, however, will not be fit as the Englishmen suffered a hamstring injury early in the 3-0 defeat against Chelsea.
Nacer Chadli, James Morrison, Jake Livermore and Hal Robson-Kanu are all absentees for the home side.
Southampton have declared midfielder Mario Lemina fit to play and he could be joined by Manolo Gabbiadini in the starting line-up.
Shane Long faces a late fitness test while Charlie Austin remains sidelined with a hamstring injury.
Potential West Brom Starting XI: Foster, Nyom, Dawson, Evans, Gibbs, McClean, Kyrchowiak, Barry, Brunt, Rondon, Rodgriguez.
Potential Southampton Starting XI: McCarthy, Soares, Stephens, Hoedt, Bertrand, Romeu, Lemina, Boufal, Tadic, Davis, Gabbiadini.
Head To Head
- West Brom and Southampton have faced each other 78 times, with Albion claiming 24 victories and The Saints winning 30 times.
- The teams have played each other 8 times in the FA Cup previously, dating back to February 1900. West Brom have won once, drawn three times and lost four times.
- The last three times these sides have met in the FA Cup the tie has gone to a replay, with Southampton progressing on the last two occasions.
Stats & Facts
- Southampton have won their last three meetings with West Brom in all competitions, including a 3-2 win at the Hawthorns earlier this month.
- The last time a Premier League team won away against another Premier League team twice in the same calendar month was Man City at Swansea in September 2016.
- The Saints haven’t reached the FA Cup quarter-finals since the 2004-05 campaign, losing each of their last four fifth-round ties.
- West Brom have lost their last three games in a row, conceding exactly three goals in each game, after winning three of the previous four (D1).
- Jay Rodriguez has scored seven goals in his last 10 FA Cup appearances.
West Brom – 17/10, Draw – 9/4, Southampton – 8/5
- Southampton to win 2-1 – 9/1
- Gabbiadini first goalscorer – 5/1
- Gareth Barry and Oriol Romeu both to be carded – 9/1