Wigan v Southampton Betting Preview | 18th March
In our Wigan Athletic v Southampton betting preview we look at team news, potential line-ups, stats & facts, head-to-head, popular bets and more for Sunday’s FA Cup quarter-final clash.
Wigan Athletic v Southampton Betting Preview
Venue: DW Stadium
Channel: BBC One
Wigan Athletic will look to continue their success within this year’s edition of the FA Cup, as they saw off Manchester City in the previous round in emphatic fashion. A Will Grigg inspired performance, and he certainly was on fire that day, secured the Latics a place in the quarter-final. With Southampton currently struggling, Wigan will look to capitalise on this as they aim to book their place in this year’s semi-final at Wembley.
With Wigan flying so high in League One and in cup competitions, it appears they may have the edge over a weak Southampton side. Ex-Saints manager Mauricio Pellegrino was replaced this week by the former Stoke City boss, Mark Hughes. With a new manager at the helm, Southampton may struggle as Wigan will certainly aim to take advantage.
- Wigan played in mid-week against Bradford where Jacobs grabbed a last minute winner, therefore, a few these players might be slightly jaded for the upcoming fixture.
- Charlie Austin and Maya Yoshida remain unavailable for this FA Cup clash.
Potential Wigan Athletic Starting XI: Walton; Bryne, Dunkley, Burn, Elder; Massey, Power, Perkins, Powell, Roberts; Grigg
Potential [Team B] Starting XI McCarthy; Soares, Stephens, Hoedt, Bertrand; Hojbjerg, Lemina; Ward-Prowse, Tadic, Redmond; Carrillo
Head To Head
- Draw – 2-2 -February 2013
- Wigan Athletic win – 2-0 – August 2012
- Southampton win – 3-0 – January 1986
Stats & Facts
- Have only met once in the FA Cup, Southampton won 3-0.
- Southampton haven’t beaten Wigan in 32 years.
- Since Wigan’s victory over Manchester City, they haven’t lost a game.
- Wigan – 13/5
- Draw – 16/5
- Southampton – 11/10
- Both teams to score in the first half – 6/1
- Wigan and under 2.5 goals – 9/2