In this guide we explain all you need to know about Sky Sports Fantasy Football, including Scoring, Bonus Points, Captains, Transfers, the Sky Sports Fantasy Football mobile app and more, as well as all the alternatives offered by Paddy Power, Betfair and Vbet!
Love all things football? Don't miss out on our detailed guide to the 20 best football betting sites!
Table of Contents
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
Only available to verified customers registered from 12.12.20 to 12.03.21. Place a first sports bet (min. £20; min. odds per selection - 1.8). Get £10 in free sports bets + 10 free spins on eligible NetEnt games if you lose. Get 10 free spins on eligible NetEnt games if you win. T&Cs apply. 18+. Please gamble responsibly. BeGambleAware.org #ad
What is Sky Sports Fantasy Football?
Sky Sports Fantasy Football is a great alternative to the official Fantasy Premier League (FPL) game. Although there are a number of differences (which we will come to shortly), the basic principles remain the same.
Here is a summary of the main features:
- Free to play
- Weekly and monthly prizes
- Select your formation and team of 11 players with your £100 million budget
- Make transfers throughout the season to improve your team
- Play against Sky Sports pundits and presenters
- Keep track of your score with live game updates
- Play against mates with customised Leagues
- Create a prize pot with friends and family in Prize Leagues
To play, the only thing you need is a Sky Bet account – simply sign in using your Sky ID and PIN. Those of you currently without an account can also take advantage of Sky Bet's Bet £5 and Get £20 in free bets welcome offer.
Your team will score points based on the real-life performance of your players in Premier League matches. Scoring is powered by the Opta data feed. The table below shows a full breakdown of how points are awarded.
|Goal Scored (GK & DEF)||7|
|Goal Scored (MID)||6|
|Goal Scored (STR)||5|
|Clean Sheet (GK)||7|
|Clean Sheet (DEF)||5|
|2+ Goal Conceded (GK & DEF)||-1|
|Man of the Match||5|
Bonus points are awarded for saves, tackles, passes and shots on target and there are two tiers. As can be seen from the above, losing points is also possible. Keep track of these to understand the game better and secure a win:
Tier 1 – 2 bonus points are awarded for the following:
- 5 saves made (GK only)
- 3 tackles won (All)
- 60 completed passes (All)
- 3 shots on target (All)
Tier 2 – 3 bonus points are awarded for the following:
- 7 saves made (GK only)
- 5 tackles won (All)
- 70 completed passes (All)
- 5 shots on target (All)
As with Fantasy Premier League, captains earn double points – positive and negative. A unique feature about Sky Fantasy Football, however, is the ability to pick a captain for each day of the Gameweek. So if there are games on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday, then you can pick up to four captains over that period. With this in mind, it's important to keep an eye on the fixture list.
Once the season has started, you will have a total of 40 transfers available during the season, with up to 5 transfers each Gameweek. The Gameweek runs from Friday to Thursday. You also get two wildcards.
In order to be eligible for scoring, transfers must be made before the Match Day deadline, which is kick-off of the first match that day. Transfers made after the Match Day deadline will start scoring from the next Match Day.
Playing Against Friends
A Sky Sports game will allow you to compete against friends, adding an exciting dimension to the game. You can simply create or join a Free League with friends and even win money as Sky Sports will administer your money league, allowing you to choose an entry fee of either £2, £5, £10, or £20 per person, as well as the prize structure.
Sky Fantasy Football Tips
Need some advice on picking the right team and securing a win with Sky Sports Fantasy Football? Here are our top tips:
- Analyse the ‘Stats’ section on the Sky Sports Fantasy Football website or app in order to view the previous season’s points tallies for strong performers. This is a great way to start picking your team, but remember to consider other key factors too.
- Make a list of all the players you could potentially include. Look through the last top five point scorers for goalkeepers, and remember that with ‘save' points, some busy goalkeepers will be acquiring plenty of bonus points.
- Continue this process when analysing the defenders, midfielders and strikers. Look at the best performers and at any newly signed-on players you have faith in, but also do take note of the fact that many players signed-on from overseas might need a settling-in period that could cost you.
- Don’t forget about strong players who have simply had a poor season last year, perhaps due to an injury – these are the ones that could cost you less but bounce back and provide a stellar performance.
When picking the strongest players, remember to make room within your budget by picking cheaper options and setting aside a significant amount for your preferred picks. However, don’t underestimate your defenders, as they have the chance of earning many more points with a clean sheet bonus.
Sky Fantasy Football Mobile App
With the Sky Sports Fantasy Football app you can do the following:
- Enter your team for free and compete for £50K prize.
- View your team's weekly points.
- Create leagues.
Alternatives to Sky Fantasy Football
Sky Sports' Fantasy Football is not the only Fantasy Football around offered by Sports Betting sites. In fact you can enjoy this fantasy sport also with the following recommended operators:
ThePuntersPage Final Say
In summary, Sky Sports Fantasy Football is a great bet for those looking for something different to the official FPL game. With weekly and also monthly prizes up for grabs and a slick mobile app, it gets a thumbs up from us.