The King George VI Chase is run at Kempton Park every year on the 26th of December (Boxing Day). The race, which is the highlight of Kempton Park’s annual Christmas Festival, is a Grade 1 National Hunt steeplechase. Raced over a distance of three miles, the chase is open to horses that are aged four years or older and King George VI Chase betting is a very popular Christmas highlight.
- Tournament Structure for the King George VI Chase
- Best Betting Sites for the King George VI Chase
- King George VI Chase Betting Odds, Promotions, Tips & Predictions
- 5 Reasons to Bet on the King George VI Chase
- King George VI Chase Betting Sites With Live Streaming
- Popular King George VI Chase Betting Markets
- History of the King George VI Chase
- Upcoming Sporting Events
- Similar Tournaments to the King George VI Chase
- King George VI Chase Betting FAQs
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
Tournament Structure for the King George VI Chase
The King George VI Chase is a Group 1 National Hunt steeplechase that is held annually at Kempton Park on Boxing Day. The race, which often provides hints at who might run what race at the Cheltenham Festival in March, is open to horses four years or older. The official distance of the race is three miles and is second only to the Cheltenham Gold Cup in terms of relevance to the National Hunt season.
Jockey Club Chase Triple Crown
In 2019, the Jockey Club, who are the largest horse racing organisation in the United Kingdom, announced their plans to award the biggest bonus in jump racing of £1 million to the team behind any horse that manages to win all three of the most prestigious Grade One staying chases in a single National Hunt season. By team we mean the owners, trainers, jockeys and all other racing staff that helped earn the famous victory. These races are, of course, November’s Betfair Chase which is run at Haydock Park, the Ladbrokes King George VI Chase on Boxing Day plus the Cheltenham Gold Cup in March at the end of the National Hunt season.
The feat has only ever been achieved once before when Kauto Star won all three races in 2007. The award didn’t exist then, but the feat was still recognised as one of the biggest achievements in horse racing. In honour of the legendary horse, The Kauto Star Trophy will be presented to the winning stable alongside the £1 million prize.
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first 5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4x 5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. No cashout, restrictions + Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ - Offer for new customers at bet365. Min deposit requirement. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits and are available for use upon settlement of bets to value of qualifying deposit. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
New Customer Offer. Place your FIRST bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £10. Only deposits made using cards will qualify for this promotion. T&Cs apply. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
*New UK customers (Excluding NI) only. Mobile only. £20 in FREE Bets (FB) as £10 in sports bets & a £10 casino bonus (CB). Min stake £10. Min odds Evs. FB applied on 1st settlement of any qualifying bet. FB 7 day expiry. 1 FB offer per customer, household & IP address only. Payment restrictions. 14 days to accept £10 CB, then active for 3 days. CB 5x wagering & max redeemable £100. Game restrictions apply. Cashed out/Free Bets won’t apply. 30 days to qualify. 18+. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
Key terms - New players only. Claim by placing a min deposit £10 via "My Offers" page within 30 days. Skrill/Neteller deposits excl. 7 days to stake max £10 in-play. Max. extra winnings £100. 18+ | BeGambleAware.org | LeoSafePlay.com | Play responsibly! Full T&Cs apply BeGambleAware.org #ad
King George VI Chase Betting Odds, Promotions, Tips & Predictions
The King George Chase 2021 will be run as always on the 26th of December, the day racing resumes in the UK after Christmas. The runners and riders are sure to be amongst the National Hunt’s finest, and of whom will be building towards the Cheltenham Festival in March and possibly even the Gold Cup. Read on for our betting odds and tips for King George Kempton 2021.
Make sure you get the latest information on Horse Racing Racecards & Results by checking our updated racecards for the day.
King George VI Chase Betting Odds 2021
|Clan des Obeaux||11/4||bet365|
|Asterion Frolonge||5/1||Paddy Power|
King George VI Chase Betting Tips & Predictions 2021
- There are a few standout runners in this star-studded field for the King George VI Chase. A good place to start would be Minella Indo, who will lead the charge for Ireland. Although Minella Indo has been conspicuous by his absence in recent years at Kempton, this is one of the best-trained horses. Trainer Henry De Bromhead has enjoyed a fantastic season, having won the Betfair Chase at Haydock with A Plus Tard, as well as having a decent crack in the Ladbrokes Trophy. While Minella Indo looked rather rusty and out of sorts at Down Royal where he was beaten by Frodon, conditions at Kempton may be better suited for him. Priced at 5/2, and currently the second favourite with most bookmakers, he could be worth a cheeky punt.
- Clan des Obeaux is currently installed as the favourite, and he was last seen winning the Punchestown Gold Cup at the Punchestown Festival. Although he hasn’t had a prep run ahead of the King George VI Chase, Clan des Obeaux usually saves his best form for Kempton, and you can currently get odds of around 11/4 with most bookies.
- Frodon, meanwhile, is currying odds of around 4/1, and as mentioned, he was a gutsy winner at Down Royal. He will be a strong contender at Kempton, and the only question mark will be stamina, and whether he can last the distance.
- Alternatively, you may find value in Asterion Frolonge, who is a 5/1 chance for Willie Mullins, and he can be in the mix if he can improve his jumping. Asterion Frolonge has looked vulnerable when it comes to jumping, as this was the case when he fell in the closing stages of the John Durkan. However, if he can address his vulnerabilities, then he will be one to keep an eye out for.
King George VI Chase Betting Promotions 2021
- One great promotion for your Boxing Day betting is SportNation’s. This welcome offer includes £20 in free bets and 10 free spins.
- Elsewhere, Betfair are offering up to £100 in free bets which would be a treat with all of the great horse racing taking place over the holidays.
5 Reasons to Bet on the King George VI Chase
- It is the National Hunt’s second most prestigious race.
- The race has a purse of £204,000.
- £116,178 of that purse goes to the winner.
- The best jump jockeys, trainers and horses will be on show.
- This is a Christmas TV highlight.
King George VI Chase Betting Sites With Live Streaming
Popular King George VI Chase Betting Markets
King George VI Chase betting is as good as any horse racing betting gets. Why? Because this is one of the most thrilling races on the British horse racing calendar. Three gruelling miles must be overcome on one of the coldest days of the year as the very best thoroughbreds take on their peers, also of an extremely high quality.
One thing about the King George VI Chase, or more importantly King George VI Chase betting, is that on numerous occasions a previous winner has returned to win again. Also, traditionally, this hasn’t been a race for shock results meaning that the bookies don’t call this one wrong very often. That is definitely worth remembering when considering your King George VI Chase betting.
Race Winner Betting
There is nothing complicated about a bet such as this. This bet is almost as old as horse racing itself, such is the fortuitous relationship between the two. All a punter needs to do to be successful with a bet such as this is picking the race’s winning horse. This is no easy thing to achieve and punters would be well advised to study the form and heed the betting tips proposed by those in the know. But, as we noted above, in regard to King George VI Chase betting, outsiders very rarely win this test and instead more often than not, a short, priced runner comes home first.
Best King George VI Chase betting site for race winner: William Hill
When talking about King George VI Chase betting, it is always important to remember that this is a race that always has a large field of runners and given the size of the hurdles plus the December turf, anything really can happen. Because of this, if you have any doubts about whether or not your pick might be the first horse to pass the finish line, then perhaps an each way flutter might be a better punt. This way, while your stake is indeed doubled, the bet does give you the freedom to have your horse come home either among the allotted places or as the winner and you get paid either way.
Best King George VI Chase betting site for each way betting: Coral
Successful and profitable King George VI Chase betting forecasts are a case of correctly predicting the two horses that will finish the King George VI Chase in first and second place. There is no wriggle room with this particular wager, you not only have to pick the winner and runner up, but you must also correctly predict the right order. If you wish to double your stake – or half the original stake – you can make a duel staked bet such as a reverse forecast which essentially works in the same way as a regular forecast but allows the horses to finish first and second in either order.
Best King George VI Chase betting site for forecast betting: Betfred
Jockey Club Chase Triple Crown Winner Betting
As of 2019, the Jockey Club, the UK’s biggest and oldest racecourse owners, created the Jockey Club Chase Triple Crown. This unique achievement – which has only been won once before (see below) – requires that the winning horse wins the three most prestigious National Hunt chases in the season. These are, the Cheltenham Gold Cup, the Betfair Chase, and, of course, the King George VI Chase. Winning just one of these is a magnificent achievement in itself, but all three is extremely rare. But, as rare an occurrence as it is, it is still an open King George VI Chase betting related market available to any punter that wishes to take it on.
Best King George VI Chase betting site for Jockey Club Chase Triple Crown winner: Bet365
History of the King George VI Chase
The race was first run in February of 1937, taking its name from the reigning British monarch at the time, King George VI. After two runs, the race was unable to be held again until 1947 when it was held on Boxing Day for the first time. The race has seen more than its fair share of legendary horses over the years. There are 15 horses that have won the King George VI on multiple occasions. Kauto Star has won the race five times, including a four year dominant streak between 2006 and 2009. Kauto Star’s record here even beats the record of the national treasure that was Desert Orchid, who won this race four times. Dessie, as he was known, was paraded on King George day every year until he died in 2006 at the age of 27.
The last horse to win back to back runs of this race was Clan Des Obeaux who was first in both 2018 and 2019 and is likely to run again in 2021. In 2020, when Frodon won and Clan Des Obeaux came home third, he did so with Bryony Frost in the saddle, who became the first female jockey to win the King George VI Chase. In 2020 the race was unaffected by the Coronavirus pandemic.
Recent of the King George VI Chase Winners
|2020||Frodon||Bryony Frost||Paul Nicholls|
|2019||Clan des Obeaux||Sam Twiston-Davies||Paul Nicholls|
|2018||Clan des Obeaux||Harry Cobden||Paul Nicholls|
|2017||Might Bite||Nico de Boinville||Nicky Henderson|
|2016||Thistlecrack||Tom Scudamore||Colin Tizzard|
|2015||Cue Card||Paddy Brennan||Colin Tizzard|
|2014||Silviniaco Conti||Noel Fehily||Paul Nicholls|
|2013||Silviniaco Conti||Noel Fehily||Paul Nicholls|
|2012||Long Run||Sam Waley-Cohen||Nicky Henderson|
|2011||Kauto Star||Ruby Walsh||Paul Nicholls|
King George VI Chase Key Stats
- Fifteen horses have won the King George VI Chase more than once.
- Kauto Star won this race a record five times between 2006 and 2011.
- Consequently, his jockey, Ruby Walsh, is the leading jockey in the King George VI, also winning the race five times.
- Likewise, Paul Nicholls, who trained Kauto Star, is the most successful trainer in the history of the race, having trained the winner here on 11 occasions.
- The oldest horse to ever win the King George VI Chase was also its first ever winner Southern Hero who championed in 1937 at 12 years old.
Upcoming Sporting Events
Similar Tournaments to the King George VI Chase
- 27th December 2021, The Welsh Grand National: Taking place the day after the King George, this is a Group Three race held annually at Chepstow.
- 15 – 18 March 2022, The Cheltenham Festival betting sites: Featuring National Hunt racing’s most prestigious race, the Cheltenham Gold Cup, the four-day festival has been dubbed the Greatest Show on Turf.
- 9th April 2022, The Grand National Bet: One of the highlights of the racing calendar, this National Hunt race is held at Aintree Racecourse in Liverpool.
King George VI Chase Betting FAQs
We believe the best betting sites for the King George’s VI Chase to be Ladbrokes, bet365 and Paddy Power.
The King George VI Chase will be broadcast live on ITV1 with some of the races of the two-day Christmas Festival shown on ITV4.
The King George VI Chase is run at Kempton Park in Surrey, England.
The King George VI Chase is held each year on December the 26th which in the UK is known as Boxing Day.
The King George VI Chase is run over three miles.
ThePuntersPage Final Say
The King George VI Chase is an essential part of the British Christmas and a Boxing Day betting highlight. It is also the second most prestigious National Hunt chase in all British Racing. It goes after the Cheltenham Gold Cup, which is the highlight of the Cheltenham Festival in March. A Grade 1 three mile chase that has been won by a previous winner on multiple occasions, King George VI Chase betting is one of the best things about Boxing Day.