The Belmont Stakes is a major American thoroughbred horse race held annually at Belmont Park in the city of New York, which normally takes place at the beginning of June. It is a Grade 1 race for horses aged three years, hotly anticipated by fans and punters alike. Our Belmont Stakes guide has everything you need to know!
- Best Bookies For Belmont Stakes Betting
- Best Belmont Stakes Betting Sites – Top 5 Ranked
- Belmont Stakes Betting Odds, Promotions, Tips & Predictions
- 5 Reasons to Bet on The Belmont Stakes
- Belmont Stakes Betting Sites With Live Streaming
- Popular Belmont Stakes Betting Markets
- Tournament Structure for the Belmont Stakes
- History of the Belmont Stakes
- Similar Tournaments to The Belmont Stakes
- Upcoming Sporting Events
- Belmont Stakes Betting FAQs
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
New customer offer. Place 5 x £10or more bets to receive £20in free bets. Repeat up to 5 times to receive maximum £100bonus. Min odds 1/2 (1.5). Exchange bets excluded. Payment restrictions apply. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New UK+ ROI Customers only. Deposit & Bet min £5 as first bet at minimum odds 1/2 to qualify for 1x £20 Free Bet. Certain deposit methods and bet types excluded. Free bet valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply. See full terms below. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ Minimum deposit of £10 using deposit code 30F - A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £10 placed on any sports market - Minimum odds of 1/2 (1.5) - Free bets credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days - Free bet stakes not included in returns - Casino Bonus must be claimed within 7 days. To withdraw bonus/related wins, wager bonus amount x40 within 14 days. Wagering requirements vary by game. Deposit methods, Withdrawal restrictions and Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
• New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit, and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative price Evens+) within 7 days of registration. • First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto, and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 48 hours of bet settlement. • Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
Best Belmont Stakes Betting Sites – Top 5 Ranked
#03 William Hill
Belmont Stakes Betting Odds, Promotions, Tips & Predictions
The 2022 Belmont Stakes is set to be held on the 10th-12th June at Belmont Park in New York.
Belmont Stakes Betting Odds 2022
When the final declarations for the 2022 Belmont Stakes are made and we know the field of competitive runners and riders, we will compare the best odds provided by the biggest UK online bookmakers and add them here. In the meantime, read up on our Preakness Stakes betting guide, as this huge American race takes place before the Belmont.
Belmont Stakes Betting Tips & Predictions 2022
As with the 2022 Belmont Stakes betting odds, our Belmont betting tips are not yet ready. When we know the full list of trainers, horses and jockeys involved, as well as the draw for the stall line up, we will publish them here.
Belmont Stakes Betting Promotions 2022
We will add the best promotions for the 2022 edition of this race closer to its starting date.
5 Reasons to Bet on The Belmont Stakes
- It is Grade 1 listed.
- It makes up part of the Triple Crown of American horse racing.
- The horses really are some of the finest around…
- … and the jockeys some of the most skilled riders in their field.
- It’s one of the biggest horse races in international sport.
Belmont Stakes Betting Sites With Live Streaming
Popular Belmont Stakes Betting Markets
The Belmont Stakes is one of the world’s most famous and prestigious races, and certainly one of the biggest in North America. As the jewel in America’s Triple Crown, it is also an event loved by bettors over the world. Here are some of the best Belmont stakes bet types.
Known in the US as money line betting, in the UK outright betting is a simple bet where you bet on the horse that you believe will win the Belmont Stakes. In order to make an outright bet on the winner, simply add your selection to your betting slip, decide on your stake and place the bet. Note: The only way you will turn a profit on this bet is if your horse comes first.
Alternatively, if you are harbouring a few doubts about your pick’s potential performance, you can always consider backing your selection in an each-way bet. By doing so, you have allowed yourself a slight margin of error in which your horse doesn’t have to come first, but can instead finish among the places. The stake of the bet is split 50/50 between an outright win (as above) and a finish in the places. In the Belmont, this often means finishing in the top three, which pays out at 1/5th of the odds.
Best Belmont Stakes betting site for each-way betting: Betfred
Forecast wagers are bets placed on the first two horses to pass the winner’s post in a race, but predicted in the correct order. If your two selected thoroughbreds cross the line in the order you predicted, then you win. For twice the price, punters can opt to bet on a reverse forecast. The latter is kind of like an each-way version of the forecast in that, while you still need to predict the first two horses over the line, they can come home in any order.
Best Belmont Stakes betting site for forecasts: bwin
This bet is essentially the same as above, but with three horses. As before, you are picking the three horses that you believe will occupy the first three places but in the exact and correct order. Also, as with the tricast, there is a way to throw in a little insurance on this bet, and that is to place a combination tricast. This bet allows you to win as long as your three horses finish in the first three, in any order; however, due to the potential permutations, your bet must be multiplied by six.
Best Belmont Stakes betting site for tricasts: Sportingbet
Tournament Structure for the Belmont Stakes
The Belmont Stakes is a North American thoroughbred horse race that is run over 1 and a ½ miles, and is for fully matured three-year-old horses of both genders. It is an American Grade I stakes race held on the first or second Saturday in June. The race is run at Belmont Park in Elmont, New York, just outside the borough of Queens. The track that the race is run on is left-handed and has a dirt surface.
It is often contested by the smallest of the three Triple Crown race fields, with an average of 12 horses typically lining up in the gates. The Belmont Stakes is also the oldest and longest of the three classic horse races, the other two being the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness Stakes, both of which are younger in age than the Belmont. The latter predates the Preakness by six years, and the Kentucky Derby by eight.
History of the Belmont Stakes
The Belmont Stakes is the fourth oldest race in North America, having started out in 1867. It is named after August Belmont, a German-born financier, politician, diplomat, horse breeder and sportsman who lived in New York.
Jerome Park Racetrack in The Bronx was its original home, and the first-ever race was won by a filly by the name of Ruthless. The race stayed at this venue until 1890, when it was relocated to nearby Morris Park Racecourse, where it stayed until 1904. By 1905, the new 430-acre Belmont Park was opened in Elmont, New York on Long Island, where the race has been held ever since.
From 1926 onwards, the Belmont Stakes’ champion was presented with the August Belmont Trophy. On more than one occasion, the race has been cancelled due to anti-gambling legislations in New York State.
Over the years, the Belmont has also come to be known as the Test of the Champion.
Recent Belmont Stakes Winners
|2021||Essential Quality||Luis Saez||Brad H. Cox|
|2020||Tiz the Law||Manny Franco||Barclay Tagg|
|2019||Sir Winston||Joel Rosario||Mark E. Casse|
|2018||Justify||Mike Smith||Bob Baffert|
|2017||Tapwrit||Jose Ortiz||Todd Pletcher|
|2016||Creator||Irad Ortiz Jr||Steve Asmussen|
|2015||American Pharoah||Victor Espinoza||Bob Baffert|
|2014||Tonalist||Joel Rosario||Christophe Clement|
|2013||Palace Malice||Mike Smith||Todd Pletcher|
|2012||Union Rags||John Velazquez||Michael Matz|
|2011||Ruler on Ice||Jose Valdivia Jr||Kelly Breen|
Belmont Stakes Key Stats
- The record time of running the 1 ½ mile race is 2 minutes and 24 seconds, and was set by Secretariat in 1973.
- That same year, Secretariat set another record – this time for recording the biggest winning margin in Belmont Stakes history, when he won by 31 lengths.
- Jim McLaughlin and Eddie Arcaro are the race’s most successful jockeys, with six wins apiece.
- James G. Rowe Sr has enjoyed the most wins by a trainer, with eight wins.
- Rowe Sr., along with George M. Odom, have both won the Belmont Stakes as both jockey and trainer.
- Only 23 fillies have ever competed in the Belmont, three of which – Ruthless, Tanya and Rags to Riches – have won.
- Tiz the Law's victory in 2020 made him the first New York-bred horse to win since 1882.
Similar Tournaments to The Belmont Stakes
- 2nd November, Melbourne Cup: With an $8 million prize pool, Australia’s biggest horse race has one of horse racing’s biggest prize pools.
- 5th – 6th November, Breeders Cup: An end-of-season series of Grade One Thoroughbred horse races that traditionally close the North American Horse Racing season.
- 12th – 14th November, November Meeting: Taking place at Cheltenham, the November meeting traditionally kicks off the jump season in British horse racing.
- Our page about Cheltenham betting.
Upcoming Sporting Events
Belmont Stakes Betting FAQs
The Belmont Stakes can be watched on Sky Sports.
The Belmont Stakes usually takes place annually in June.
The Belmont Stakes is held at Belmont Park in Elmont, New York.
The Belmont Stakes is run over 1 and a ½ miles.
The purse for the Belmont Stakes is a cool $1.5 million, which will be split among the race’s top eight finishers.
ThePuntersPage Final Say
The Belmont Stakes is one of the most anticipated horse races across the globe, and the oldest member of America’s Triple Crown events. Contested at Belmont Park at a distance of 1 ½ miles on the dirt, the race runs three weeks after the Preakness Stakes goes off in Baltimore, Maryland. Bettors in the States – and all over other nations, for that matter – come together to watch this illustrious equine event. This Belmont Stakes guide advises that you save the date (when available) in order not to miss out on the best bets for the Belmont stakes!