The Gibraltar Darts Trophy is part of the prestigious PDC Tour and a chance for the tiny nation to shine on the big stage. In this article, we will go over everything you need to know about Gibraltar Darts Trophy betting, including popular betting markets, odds, tips, predictions and more.
- Tournament Structure for the Gibraltar Darts Trophy
- Best Betting Sites for Gibraltar Darts Trophy
- Best Bookies for Gibraltar Darts Trophy – Top 5 Ranked
- Gibraltar Darts Trophy Betting Odds, Promotions, Tips & Predictions 2021
- 5 Reasons to Bet on Gibraltar Darts Trophy
- Gibraltar Darts Trophy Betting Sites with Live Streaming
- Popular Gibraltar Darts Trophy Betting Markets
- History of the Gibraltar Darts Trophy
- Upcoming Sporting Events
- Similar Tournaments to Gibraltar Darts Trophy
- Gibraltar Darts Trophy FAQs
- The PuntersPage Final Say
Tournament Structure for the Gibraltar Darts Trophy
The first round is played upon two stages, and from 2014 to 2019, only 48 players competed in the tournament on one stage. The top 16 entrants from the PDC ProTour Order of Merit automatically qualify for the Gibraltar Darts Trophy and are seeded in the second round. The other 32 places go to players from the six qualifying events, including 18 from the UK Tour Card Holder Qualifier, six from the European Tour, and two from the West & South European Associate Member Qualifiers. An additional four qualify from the Host Nation Qualifiers; one player from the Nordic and Baltic Qualifiers, and one from the Eastern European Qualifiers.
From 2019, the Host Nation, Nordic and Baltic – along with the East European Qualifiers – were only available to non-Tour Card holders. Before that, applicable regions Tour Card holders had to play in the central European Qualifier. The 2020 Gibraltar Darts Trophy was set to be its 14th edition, as part of the PDC European Tour and 2020 PDC Pro Tour, before it was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ Minimum deposit of £10 using deposit code 30F - A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £10 placed on any sports market - Minimum odds of 1/2 (1.5) - Free bets credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days - Free bet stakes not included in returns - Casino Bonus must be claimed within 7 days. To withdraw bonus/related wins, wager bonus amount x40 within 14 days. Wagering requirements vary by game. Deposit methods, Withdrawal restrictions and Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply. See full terms below. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New customers only. Place your FIRST bet on any sportsbook market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £20. Only deposits made using cards or Apple Pay will qualify for this promotion. T&Cs apply. Paddy's Rewards Club: Get a £10 free bet when you place 5x bets of £10+. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
New customer offer. Place 5 x £10or more bets to receive £20in free bets. Repeat up to 5 times to receive maximum £100bonus. Min odds 1/2 (1.5). Exchange bets excluded. Payment restrictions apply. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first bet loses. Wagering requirements: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Unless forfeited the sportsbook bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in. No deposit required for NI customers. Call 08081699314 to claim. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
Best Bookies for Gibraltar Darts Trophy – Top 5 Ranked
Gibraltar Darts Trophy Betting Odds, Promotions, Tips & Predictions 2021
The 2021 Gibraltar Darts Trophy will take place from September 24th through September 26th at the Europa Sports Park. It's located on the British-run peninsula of Gibraltar, which you can find on the tip of southern Spain. The three-day tourney will feature a field of 48 players and a pay out of £140,000; £25,000 of which is reserved for the winner.
Gibraltar Darts Trophy Betting Odds 2021
|Michael van Gerwen||100/30||betfair|
|Jose De Sousa||17/2||betfair|
Gibraltar Darts Trophy Betting Tips & Predictions 2021
- The Gibraltar Darts Trophy is the second and final tournament of this year’s condensed European Tour and gets underway this week at the Europa Sports Park on the British Overseas Territory on the southern tip of Spain. The tournament heralds the climax of the 2021 PDC European Tour and features a field of 48 players made up of the world’s top 16 ranked on the PDC Order of Merit plus 32 qualifiers. £140,000 in prize money is on the line over three days, with £25,000 reserved for the winner.
- The event was cancelled last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic meaning the last time we played the event was 2019. Krzysztof ‘The Polish Eagle’ Ratajski is the defending champion after he beat Dave ‘Chizzy’ Chisnall 8–2 in the 2019 final. Seeded first is Joe Cullen, just ahead Grand Slam champion Jose De Sousa, and last week’s Nordic Masters winner Mighty Michael van Gerwen. World Matchplay champion Peter ‘Snakebite’ Wright, who only two weeks ago won the World Cup of Darts with Scotland, is also in the field along with world number one and reigning World Champion Gerwyn ‘The Iceman’ Price.
- Price’s Wales World Cup teammate and Premier League champion Jonny Clayton will be dangerous as will English pair UK Open champion James ‘The Machine’ Wade and Michael ‘Bully Boy’ Smith. The top 16 will all enter the event in the second round on Saturday.
- The 32 qualifiers are entering the tournament in the first round on Friday, which includes a top tie between Luke Humphries and Germany's number one Gabriel Clemens. The Highlander Big John Henderson takes on Boris Krčmar on Friday afternoon when Rob ‘Voltage’ Cross and Mervyn King will also be in action.
- The Green Machine Michael van Gerwen returned to winning ways a week ago beating Fallon Sherrock in the Nordic Masters final on Sunday. Incredibly, that was his first tournament win in 293 days. The Dutchman will now be looking to make it a quick one-two by taking his second trophy in as many weekends. That will make him a real threat.
- It would be foolish to ignore, however, that the tournament went off without the world number one Gerwyn Price who pulled out of the tournament with an elbow injury. Had he been involved in the event, then things could have been very different and MVG might still be waiting for a trophy win. The Iceman is back this weekend and, after lifting the first European Tour event of the year, the Hungary Darts Trophy, just weeks ago. Now he will be looking to take this, and the whole Tour, title, something he is 9/2 across the board to do.
- Elsewhere another Welshman, Jonny ‘The Ferret’ Clayton is the one to watch after he posted the best numbers last week in Copenhagen. Clayton whitewashed Ivan Poulsen in round one before destroying Peter Wright 10-3 in a game in which he averaged 103. Were it not for two crucial missed doubles in the semis, he would have repeated the trick against van Gerwen and possibly gone on to win the tourney outright. He can put that right this weekend.
Gibraltar Darts Trophy Betting Promotions 2021
- Newcomers to the Coral site can enjoy a free £20 when they bet an initial £5, which would work great with the PDC Gibraltar 2021.
- Alternatively, Betway are offering new customers the chance to cash in on a fantastic welcome offer where you can get up to £10 in Free Bets on your first deposit.
5 Reasons to Bet on Gibraltar Darts Trophy
- 16 of the world’s best darters will be competing for the trophy in Gibraltar
- It is the second PDC European Tour event on the PDC Pro Tour.
- It will feature a field of 48 players.
- There is £140,000 in prize money up for grabs.
- The winner will walk away with £25,000
Gibraltar Darts Trophy Betting Sites with Live Streaming
Popular Gibraltar Darts Trophy Betting Markets
Before you venture into darts betting, we’ll fill you in on a tip. One of the deciding factors before placing a bet on darts is: Time.
It can prove useful to consider the length of the dart’s match as it reduces the chances of an upset by an underdog; the better-skilled player should ultimately emerge victorious. Therefore, to pick a player with longer odds, you should choose a shorter match.
With this in mind, let's take a closer look at the different bets available for darts below.
Best Gibraltar Darts Trophy betting site for outright: bet365
Outright Betting on Gibraltar Darts Trophy
Bookmakers invariably offer bets on the outright winner of a tournament. You place your bet on the player you believe stands the best chance of winning. Bear in mind that, if you pick a favourite, the odds will likely be rather short. You can generally see the outright betting options near the player’s name in online sportsbooks. After placing your bet, you can then sit back, relax and watch the game unfold, using the bookie's live streaming service if you so wish.
Individual Sets Betting on Gibraltar Darts Trophy
You can place a bet on individual sets whereby you stake on a few players to win games on a set-by-set basis. Some options offer odds for predicting the score correctly. You also get enhanced and unique bet types, including most maximums.
Best darts betting site for individual sets: bwin
Highest Gibraltar Darts Trophy Checkout Betting
Many bookmakers offer betting options on the highest checkout, which is the exact points required for a player to finish. They include the highest three dart scores, the first dart score and where the throw will land – and that’s just scratching the surface!
Best betting site for highest checkout: Mr Play
Nine Dart Finish Betting on Gibraltar Darts Trophy
This is the biggest checkout in darts; a nine dart finish is the throwing of a perfect leg where players take only nine throws to check out from 501. This is the lowest possible number of darts that players can use to check out with. It isn’t a common occurrence though, but it does happen more often than a hole in one in golf or a 147 in snooker.
Best Gibraltar Darts Trophy betting site for nine dart finish: Fansbet
History of the Gibraltar Darts Trophy
The PDC European Tour started in 2012, and it was played as a series of tournaments in Europe. While the event is underway, the Players Championship tournaments in Europe disappear from the darts calendar. The matches take place on big stages with large audiences. The annual Gibraltar Darts Trophy propels the European minnows into the top league as a PDC host nation.
The very first winner of the tournament was James Wade, while the most recent, at the time of writing this Gibraltar Darts Trophy review, was Krzysztof Ratajski. There was a significant shift in the 2019 season that modified the rules for darts players in the Professional Darts Corporation and British Darts Organisation. It was the very first time that players from the World Championships could also take part in the PDC Qualifying School without banning them or withholding their prize money. The strategic change has attracted top-seeded players like Scott Waites, Glen Durrant, and Mark McGeeney. The entire line-up of players features a full field of 48 players, and there is a £140,000 prize, with £25,000 for the eventual winner.
Recent Gibraltar Darts Trophy Winners
|2020||Gibraltar Darts Trophy 2020 was cancelled.|
|2018||Michael van Gerwen|
|2016||Michael van Gerwen|
|2015||Michael van Gerwen|
Key Stats & Facts
- Michael van Gerwen has won the tournament three times.
- With his three wins, Michael van Gerwen is the most successful darter at the Gibraltar Darts.
- When van Gerwen won in 2015, he became the first non-Englishman to win the event.
- The most recent winner was Krzysztof Ratajski in 2019.
Upcoming Sporting Events
Similar Tournaments to Gibraltar Darts Trophy
- 9th September – 12th September 2021, World Cup of Darts: In this event, players representing their countries play in teams of two to play for the world cup title.
- 3rd October – 9th October 2021, World Grand Prix: This double in, double out event takes place at the Citywest Hotel in Dublin, Ireland, each October.
- 13th November – 21st November 2021, Grand Slam of Darts: Held each year in November, this event features the world's top 16 darters and is held at the Wolverhampton Civic Hall.
Gibraltar Darts Trophy FAQs
This event isn’t screened live on UK TV; however, you can watch the Gibraltar Darts Trophy unfold along with all the other PDC European Tour events if you are a PDCTV-HD subscriber. You can also find the tournament streamed at selected online sportsbooks, such as William Hill.
Dutch darter Michael van Gerwen has won the trophy on three occasions.
The winner takes in £25,000, while there are numerous consolation cash prizes for reaching each stage of the tournament. The total prize money is £140,000.
The Gibraltar darts 2021 will be held on 24th of September to the 26th of September 2021 at the Europa Sports Park.
The PuntersPage Final Say
The Gibraltar Darts Trophy is a rare tournament forming part of the European Darts Tour. It permits the underdogs from a tiny nation state to compete against darts legends, like three-time winner Michael van Gerwen and Englishman Phil Taylor, who retired in 2018 as the greatest darter of all time.
Don’t miss out on all the action, as well as the opportunity to bet and enjoy handsome winnings!