A professional darts tournament played in a legs format, the prestigious PDC World Matchplay takes place each July at Blackpool’s Winter Gardens. This article will tell you everything you need to know about World Matchplay darts betting, including the most popular bet types, our expert betting predictions, the latest odds, and more!
- Tournament Structure for the World Matchplay
- Best Bookies for World Matchplay Betting
- Best Darts World Matchplay Betting Sites 2023 – Top 5 Ranked
- World Matchplay Betting Odds, Promotions, Tips & Predictions
- 5 Reasons to Bet on the World Matchplay
- Best World Matchplay Betting sites With Live Streaming
- Popular World Matchplay Betting Markets
- History of the World Matchplay
- Similar Tournaments to the World Matchplay
- Upcoming Sporting Events
- World Matchplay FAQs
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
Tournament Structure for the World Matchplay
The World Matchplay is the third of seven ranking majors in the darts calendar, and takes place each year in and between the final two weekends of July. It has only ever been staged at the Empress Ballroom at the Winter Gardens in Blackpool since its inaugural event in 1994, with the exception of 2020.
32 players make up the field for the Matchplay, drawn from the top 16 players on the PDC Order of Merit at the end of June. Each of the latter, as seeded players, take on one of 16 unseeded ProTour Order of Merit qualifiers. Matches in the first round are played in a first to 10 legs format, with second-round matches increasing to the first to 11. The Quarter-Finals are then played as first to 16 legs, with the Semi-Finals first to 17 and the Final first to 18.
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
• New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit, and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative price Evens+) within 7 days of registration. • First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto, and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 48 hours of bet settlement. • Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply. See full terms below. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first 5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4x 5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. No cashout, restrictions + Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New customers only. Opt in, bet £10 at odds 2.00+ within 7 days, no cashout. Get 3x £10 Free Bets, set events at odds 2.00+. Plus a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw max £250. Plus 100 Free Spins. 100 Free Spins have no wagering. Bonuses and Spins expire in 7 days. Card payments only. Please Gamble Responsibly. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New UK+ ROI Customers only. Deposit & Bet min £5 as first bet at minimum odds 1/2 to qualify for 1x £20 Free Bet. Certain deposit methods and bet types excluded. Free bet valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
Best Darts World Matchplay Betting Sites 2023 – Top 5 Ranked
#02 William Hill
World Matchplay Betting Odds, Promotions, Tips & Predictions
According to the PDC, the 2023 World Matchplay is scheduled to take place on the 15th – 23rd July. We will add more information about the tournament here when it is available.
Do you prefer betting on football? Visit our KickForm page now to get the latest match stats, predictions, odds and tips on all the top European football leagues. It's free to use and uses a data-driven Football Formula to increase accuracy and reliability!
Darts World Matchplay Betting Odds 2023
We will publish the best odds for the 2023 World Matchplay closer to the start date of the event.
Darts World Matchplay Betting Tips & Predictions 2023
Our expert tips and predictions will be added here once the commencement of the tournament approaches.
5 Reasons to Bet on the World Matchplay
- It is one of the biggest events of the PDC.
- It is part of Darts Triple Crown.
- The fans in Blackpool are legendary and liven up the atmosphere considerably.
- The venue is one which continues to add to the competition’s prestige.
- It will be a good form guide for the second half of darts season.
Best World Matchplay Betting sites With Live Streaming
- William Hill
Popular World Matchplay Betting Markets
There are lots of great ways punters can enjoy betting on darts. Below, we have listed a small selection of the most popular markets.
Outright Bet To Win
This market requires you to bet on the player that you believe will win the World Matchplay. As long as your player wins, your bet will pay out.
Best Darts World Matchplay betting site for outright betting: Unibet
An each-way bet is very similar to the outright winning bet above, only it allows your player to at least reach the final and lose. If they win, so much the better, as you will get paid on the win and the place. But if they lose in the final, you at least get a return back for the place portion of the bet.
Best Darts World Matchplay betting site for each-way betting: Betfair
Darts games are made up of legs, which in turn win sets. The norm, not the rule, is that each set is played over the best of five legs, but this does vary between tournaments. In the World Matchplay, games are played for the best number of legs, which rises as the tournament progresses. Many bookmakers allow punters to bet on which player will win a certain leg.
Best Darts World Matchplay betting site for leg betting: Paddy Power
Although this won’t decide the match, darters’ averages are recorded, with bookmakers using these averages for over/under bets. So, if you think that the 2019 champion – who averaged 95.16 in his winning final – will throw higher than 100 in a match (known as a ton plus), then you can place a bet predicting exactly that. If he manages to post a high enough average, you win.
Best Darts World Matchplay betting site for average betting: 888sport
History of the World Matchplay
Today, the World Matchplay has grown into the second biggest PDC Tournament in terms of status and prestige. American Larry Butler beat Dennis Priestley 16–12 to win the inaugural event. Following the retirement of 16-time champion Phil Taylor in 2017 who, before reaching and losing in the World Championship final in his last ever professional appearance, claimed this event one final time, the PDC announced that from 2018 onwards, the World Matchplay champion will receive the Phil Taylor Trophy.
Recent Darts World Matchplay Winners
|2022||Michael van Gerwen||The Netherlands|
|2016||Michael van Gerwen||The Netherlands|
|2015||Michael van Gerwen||The Netherlands|
World Matchplay Key Stats
Similar Tournaments to the World Matchplay
- 3rd - 8th October, 2022, World Grand Prix: The next major after the World Matchplay, this event takes place in Leicester.
- 12th - 20th November, 2022, Grand Slam of Darts: A month before the World Championship begins, the Grand Slam of Darts takes place in Wolverhampton. This tournament features the winners and finalists of all the big events in the last 12 months to form something of a ‘champion of champions’.
- 15th December, 2022 - 3rd January, 2023, World Darts Championship: Beginning in December and taking place over the festive period, the World Championship is the biggest darts event of the year.
Upcoming Sporting Events
World Matchplay FAQs
The 2022 World Matchplay darts tournament was available to watch on Sky Sports.
The World Matchplay is usually held at the Empress Ballroom at the Winter Gardens in Blackpool. However, due to the global pandemic, the 2020 edition was held at the Marshall Arena in Milton Keynes behind closed doors.
The World Matchplay darts tournament always takes place between the last two weekends in July, with the 2023 edition taking place between the 15th and 23rd.
The prize fund for the tournament in 2022 was around £800,000, with £200,000 reserved for the winner.
Of course – this is known as an outright bet on the winner of the World Matchplay.
You can indeed. In 2018, Gary Anderson landed a nine-darter in his World Matchplay game against Joe Cullen, so that year, you would have won this bet. Nobody has thrown one since then, though.
ThePuntersPage Final Say
Launched in 1994, the World Matchplay is the PDC’s second-longest running darts tournament behind the World Darts Championship. This event is famous for the fan atmosphere and their closeness to the darters throwing at the oche. For both of those reasons, the Darts World Matchplay has become second only to the Alexandra Palace’s festive World Championships in terms of prize money, prestige, and popularity. It’s not only the players who love it, but fans and bettors too!