The Cazoo Grand Slam of Darts is one of the premier darts competitions in the world. The very best in the sport will descend to the Aldersley Leisure Village in Wolverhampton between the 12th to 20th November in a spectacular one-of-a-kind darts tournament.
- Tournament Structure of the Cazoo Grand Slam of Darts
- Grand Slam of Darts Betting Odds, Promotions, Tips & Predictions
- 5 Reasons To Bet on the Grand Slam of Darts
- Best Betting Sites for the Cazoo Grand Slam of Darts
- Grand Slam of Darts Betting Sites with Live Streaming
- Popular Grand Slam of Darts Betting Markets
- History of the Tournament
- Cazoo Grand Slam of Dart – Key Stats
- Upcoming Sporting Events
- Similar Tournaments to the Grand Slam of Darts
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
Tournament Structure of the Cazoo Grand Slam of Darts
Qualifying for the Cazoo Grand Slam of Darts
The Grand Slam of Darts is an annual event organised by the Professional Darts Corporation (PDC). This year's edition will take place from 12th to 20th November and includes 32 of the best players this season. The criteria to be eligible to enter the Grand Slam is divided into three sections.
The first 16 spots can be secured by winning or finishing runner-up in one of the Professional Darts Corporation's (PDC) Main Competitions. There are a total of ten tournaments, including the World Cup of Darts, which is a doubles competition.
This year, 13 players qualified from the PDC Main Competitions, with the other three spots being given to the winners of the PDC European Tour and PDC Pro Tour.
Eight spots are reserved for the winners of the rest of the Professional Darts Competitions, which do not fall under the Main or European events. These include two women’s tournaments, the Asian and American championships, as well as youth tournaments.
There are a final eight spots, which are contested in a qualifier set to start on the 6th of November. This includes three of the top ten ranked players in the world; James Wade, Jose De Sousa, and Gary Anderson ranked at 5th, 6th and 10th respectively.
Once all the qualifiers are complete, the televised tournament proper can begin. The 32 elite players are placed in eight groups of four players each. The top eight players in the tournament are seeded in separate groups. The groups stage is played as a round robin with two points for a win. Each game is set to a best of 9 legs, with the top two players qualifying to the knockout rounds.
The 16 players remaining enter the second round, which is a straight knockout as a best of 19 legs. The winners will play in the quarterfinals, all the way to the final. These final three rounds are a best of 31 legs, and both the semi-final and final will be played on the 20th of November.
Tournament Prize pot
The prize pot for the tournament has been increased by a whopping £100,000 pounds this year, totaling £650,000. The pot is divided by round and tournament standing as shown below:
|Position||Amounts||Total Pot: £650,000|
|Group winner bonus||8||£8,000|
|Third in group||8||£5,000|
|Fourth in group||8||£3,500|
Grand Slam of Darts Betting Odds, Promotions, Tips & Predictions
Grand Slam of Darts Betting Odds 2023
As the final eight qualifiers are yet to decided, there are no odds available. We will update this section as soon as the odds are available.
Grand Slam of Darts Betting Tips & Predictions 2023
Since the qualifiers are set to begin soon, the final 32 players have not been confirmed. However, from the current crop of already qualified players, here are some of our top picks.
Peter Snakebite Wright
The current world number one has been in fine form this year. Wright qualified for the tournament by winning the World Championship, the biggest tournament in dart. He’s also won the Players Championship finals, the German Dart Open, and finished second in last year’s Grand Slam of Darts.
Peter Wright, ‘the Snakebite’ has actually never won the tournament and has been the losing finalist three times. He’ll be looking to improve on last year and finally taking home the gold.
Gerwyn Iceman Price
The current defending champion in the Grand Slam of Darts, Price has won the tournament three times. His qualification was guaranteed by winning last years tournament, but he cemented his place by winning the World Series of Darts and the International Darts Open.
‘The Iceman’ – the only Welsh player to win the tournament – will be looking to win it back to back, just as he himself achieved in 2018 and 2019.
Michael van Gerwen
Bursting onto the scene at 17 and considered one of the best darts players of all time, Van Gerwen was world number one from 2014 – 2021. MVG has won the Grand Slam three times consecutively, in 2015, 2016 and 2017.
Van Gerwen booked his place to this tournament by winning Premier League Darts, Darts Grand Prix, and the World Matchplay, as well as the German Darts Championship, Austrian Open and European Open. He has been incredible this season and looks like a solid bet to go on to win the tournament for a fourth time.
Grand Slam of Darts Betting Promotions 2022
- Boylesports offer a great ‘Bet £10 get £10 in free bets + £10 Casino Bonus’ promotion, which gives you £30 for sports bets, perfect for darts betting. There’s also £10 for casino betting – a fun bonus for trying out new forms of betting.
- Betfred has a brilliant ‘Get £40 in bonuses when you stake £10’ offer. The promotion includes £30 in free bets and £10 in free spins (50x20p). A super deal for any new punters.
5 Reasons To Bet on the Grand Slam of Darts
- The best players of the year are taking part in the event
- Considered the warm-up event to the Darts World Championship
- Prize pot of £650,000, one of the highest in the sport
- Selected BDO Players are invited to the tournament
- There have been four nine-darters in the history of the tournament.
Best Betting Sites for the Cazoo Grand Slam of Darts
18+ New UK customers (Excluding NI) only. £20 in FREE Bets (FB) as £10 in sports bets & a £10 casino bonus (CB). Min Deposit £10. Min stake £10. Min odds Evs. FB applied on 1st settlement of any qualifying bet. FB 7-day expiry. 1 FB offer per customer, household & IP address only. Account & Payment restrictions. 14 days to accept £10 CB, then active for 3 days. CB 5x wagering & max redeemable £100. Game restrictions apply. Cashed out/Free Bets won’t apply. 30 days to qualify. Full T&Cs apply. Bet Responsibly. BeGambleAware.org #ad
18+ New UK customers only. Register using the promo code WELCOME40, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £30 in Free Bets and £10 in Free Spins (50x20p) credited within 10 hours of bet settlement. Free Bet stakes are not included in any returns. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required. Full T&Cs apply. Bet Responsibly. BeGambleAware.org #ad
18+ New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first bet loses. Wagering requirements: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Unless forfeited the sportsbook bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in. No deposit required for NI customers. Call 08081699314 to claim. Full T&Cs apply. Bet Responsibly. BeGambleAware.org #ad
18+. New customers using Promo code R30 only. Min £10 stake, min odds ½, free bets paid as 3x £10, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment methods/player/country restrictions apply. Full T&Cs apply. Bet Responsibly. BeGambleAware.org #ad
Grand Slam of Darts Betting Sites with Live Streaming
Popular Grand Slam of Darts Betting Markets
As the sport became more professional, betting on darts has become massively popular over the years. While there are many great tournaments, the Grand Slam offers up some great matchups, with most of the players being winners or runners up in a major tournament.
There are several ways to bet on a darts tournament and we’ll underline the best markets here.
To Win Outright Betting
- The simplest bet and one found in every sports tournament is choosing the outright winner. The beauty of darts is its competitiveness, and with loads of great players at the moment, it is anyone’s guess who the champion will be.
Most 180s Betting
- Similar to betting on the average, betting on the most maximums could be applied to a single match or the entire tournament. As we mentioned, the highest score per 3 darts is 180. The bet has you guessing which player will get the most 180s in a match or tournament. These happen fairly often and is another great in-play bet. Doing some research in player consistency will also be hugely beneficial.
Finishes on the Bull Betting
- The rules of professional darts states that a player must end on a double. However, if the player needs 50 points they can end on a bullseye, which is at the center of the board. Most bookmakers will often offer an under/over bet on how many bullseye finishes will occur in a match or a session. Early on, there are many rounds being played, making it a perfect betting opportunity.
Highest Checkout Betting
- To end a leg of darts, players must end on a double, meaning there are only a set number of possibilities to end on. The highest checkout a darts player can score is 170, and this can only be done by hitting two treble 20s and a bullseye this is known as a ‘Big fish’ and is notoriously difficult. Similar to the 180s betting market, you must predict how many will happen in a single match or tournament.
History of the Tournament
The tournament was created by the Professional Darts Corporation in 2007 as a yearly event preceding the World Championships. It was notable for being the first and only tournament in the United Kingdom to feature players from both the PDC and the British Dart Organisation (BDO), which at the time were the two major darts organisations.
The Grand Slam of Darts was played at the Civic Hall in Wolverhampton from 2007 – 2017, and was then moved to the WV Active – Aldersley from 2018 till today, with the 2020 edition being played behind doors at the Ricoh Arena in Coventry due to the pandemic. The tournament is back at the WV Active for the fourth time. Funnily enough, Gerwyn Price is the only player to have won at the WV Active, with three such titles to his name.
There has been a total of six different champions since 2007. Phil Taylor has won six titles and is widely considered the greatest darts player of all time. Michael Van Gerwen and Gerwyn Price have won the tournament three times each, while Scott Waites, Raymond van Barneveld and José de Sousa have won one apiece.
Here are the finals winners:
|2021||Gerwyn Price||16-8||Peter Wright|
|2020||José de Sousa||16-12||James Wade|
|2019||Gerwyn Price||16-6||Peter Wright|
|2018||Gerwyn Price||16-13||Gary Anderson|
|2017||Michael Van Gerwen||16-12||Peter Wright|
|2016||Michael Van Gerwen||16-8||James Wade|
|2015||Michael Van Gerwen||16-13||Phil Taylor|
|2014||Phil Taylor||16-13||Dave Chisnall|
|2013||Phil Taylor||16-6||Robert Thornton|
|2012||Raymond van Barneveld||16-14||Michael Van Gerwen|
|2011||Phil Taylor||16-4||Gary Anderson|
|2010||Scott Waites||16-12||James Wade|
|2009||Phil Taylor||16-2||Scott Waites|
|2008||Phil Taylor||18-9||Terry Jenkins|
|2007||Phil Taylor||18-11||Andy Hamilton|
One of the peaks for any darts player is to hit a nine-darter, which is done by reaching a score of 501 using only nine darts. This is an extremely difficult feat to achieve and consists normally of hitting: seven triple 20s, a triple 19, an 18, and finally at double 12. So far this has only been done four times in the competition’s history:
|2018||Dimitri Van den Bergh||2nd round|
|2015||Dave Chisnall||Group stage|
|2008||James Wade||2nd round|
Cazoo Grand Slam of Dart – Key Stats
- Phil, The Power, Taylor has won the most times with six wins.
- He also won the first three tournaments in a row and six in the first eight.
- Michael Van Gerwen won all his titles on the bounce.
- The highest scoring average in a tournament is 105.42 by Michael Van Gerwen.
- The current number one in the world, Peter Snakebite Wright, has never won the competition, losing three finals.
Upcoming Sporting Events
Similar Tournaments to the Grand Slam of Darts
- 25th – 27th November 2022, Player Championship Finals: This will take place at the Butlins Resort in Minehead.
- 15th December 2022 – 3rd January 2023, World Darts Championship is the biggest and most prestigious dart event on the calendar and is played at London’s Alexandra Palace.
- 2nd February – 25th May 2023, PDC Darts Premier League: One third of darts’ unofficial triple crown with the Worlds and the Matchplay, this event runs weekly through the spring months.
- 15th – 23rd July 2023, PDC World Darts Matchplay: Second only to the Worlds in darting importance, this event is held each July at the Winter Gardens in Blackpool.
Grand Slam of Darts Betting FAQs
You can watch all the action on the dedicated Sky Sports Darts Channel.
This year, the tournament is back at the WV Active – Aldersley, Wolverhampton for the fourth time.
Each round, the tournament increases legs. Groups stages games are best of 9 legs, the second round is best of 19 legs. The final rounds – from the quarter-finals to the final itself – are each played as best of 31 legs.
Gerwyn Price won the tournament for the 3rd time last year, beating current World Champion Peter Wright 16–8 in the final.
The semi-final and final will be played on the 20th of November. The time of the final is 19:00 GMT.
This year’s prize pot is a whopping £650,000 – a £100,000 increase from the last tournament.
ThePuntersPage Final Say
The Cazoo Grand Slam of Darts is the perfect tournament for darts betting. Between the 12th – 20th of November, the best of the best will meet for a jam-packed event, and this year, the event has gotten a great financial boost so the players will definitely be bringing their A-game!