Like British Champions Day, the Breeders' Cup is an end-of-season series of Grade I Thoroughbred horse races, designed to be a celebratory goodbye to the season. It is a two-day showcase of the very best in North American horse racing. Consequently, Breeders' Cup betting has also become a major deal.
- Tournament Structure for the Breeders' Cup
- Best Betting Sites for the Breeders' Cup 2023
- Breeders' Cup Betting Odds, Promotions, Tips & Predictions
- 5 Reasons to Bet on the Breeders' Cup
- Breeders' Cup Betting Sites With Live Streaming
- Popular Breeders' Cup Betting Markets
- Breeders' Cup 2021 Schedule
- History of the Breeders' Cup
- Upcoming Sporting Events
- Similar Tournaments to the Breeders' Cup
- Breeders' Cup Betting FAQs
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
Tournament Structure for the Breeders' Cup
- There is a maximum of 14 starters that are permitted to enter each of the 14 Breeders’ Cup Championships races. Of these 14 Breeders' Cup races that are contested on either turf or dirt over the course of the meeting, 13 are rated as being Group One standard, while one is a Group Two.
- Race distances range from 1 mile 3/8 furlongs to five furlongs, while on Saturday there is a six-furlong Group One Sprint that’s not dissimilar from our own Sprint Cup, meaning Betfred Sprint Cup tips could prove useful. The two most prestigious races of the meet are both on Saturday: the Breeders’ Cup Turf and the Breeders’ Cup Classic.
- There are a number of ways a horse can qualify for a Breeders’ Cup race, from winning a Breeders’ Cup Challenge race to qualifying through a point ranking system that has built up over the previous season’s major races, wins and places. Another way in is by a panel of expert selection, which usually makes up half the 14-race field. Over the whole weekend there is $31 million paid out in prize money.
Best Betting Sites for the Breeders' Cup 2023
18+. New customers using Promo code R30 only. Min £10 stake, min odds ½, free bets paid as 3x £10, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment methods/player/country restrictions apply. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
New 18+ UK customers only. Register using the promo code WELCOME40, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £30 in Free Bets and £10 in Free Spins (50x20p) credited within 10 hours of bet settlement. Free Bet stakes are not included in any returns. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
Use code COMMFREE to trade with 0% commission for 60 days. Min. £10/€10 first deposit using Debit Card or Instant Banking. Full T&C’s apply.18+. BeGambleAware.org. Full T&Cs apply. 18+ BeGambleAware.org #ad .
Breeders' Cup Betting Odds, Promotions, Tips & Predictions
The 2021 Breeders' Cup will get underway on Friday November the 5th and finish on Saturday November the 6th. Over the two days there are 14 graded races that will go off at the Del Mar racetrack near San Diego, California, USA.
Make sure you get the latest information on Horse Racing Racecards & Results by checking our updated racecards for the day.
Breeders' Cup Betting Odds 2021
Breeders' Cup Betting Tips & Predictions 2021
- This weekend there are two days of supreme horse racing from the US as the 2021 Breeders Cup takes place once again. In all, there are 14 championship races for bettors to enjoy with each of them offering a purse of at least $1 million. The feature race of the weekend is the $6 million Breeders Cup Longines Classic. It is the ultimate middle distance dirt test for thoroughbreds and will go off at 12.40am in UK time. Across the meeting, there are 26 entries from Great Britain and a further 17 travelling over from Ireland. Aidan O’Brien’s Love and Mogul, as well as Love, Tarnawa and Teona are among the star names making the trip.
- There are nine entries in the 2021 renewal of the Breeders Cup Classic which is run over a distance of one mile and two furlongs. Trainer Brad Cox will attempt to finally win America's richest horse race as the top two favourites both hail from his yard. The 41-year-old has seven Breeders Cup wins under his belt just none in the big one. However, this year, hopes rest on Knicks Go, who won the Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile last year.
- Cox’s Knicks Go followed that up by heading to Gulfstream Park and winnning the Pegasus World Cup in Florida before making a good show of himself in the Saudi Cup when he came home fourth to Mishriff, himself the winner of the Sheema Classic and Juddmonte International. Knicks Go is available at the best price of 9/4, while stablemate Essential Quality is the 3/1 second favourite. The latter won the Juvenile dirt race at this meeting last year and has only known one defeat in nine career starts.
- Pennsylvania Derby winner Hot Rod Charlie comes next in the betting, but there will certainly be a lot of interest in the Kentucky Derby “winner” Medina Spirit. The latter of those two has, in nine career stars, five wins, three seconds and one third and won the Awesome Again Stakes at Santa Anita last month.
- The man who has trained four out of the last seven winners, Bob Baffert, will be in attendance even after Medina Spirit failed a drugs test following his Run for the Roses win six months ago. While that result technically hangs in limbo, Baffert, who was banned from attending Churchill Downs, has been cleared to enter runners into the Breeders Cup.
Breeders' Cup Betting Promotions 2021
- If you are considering betting on the Breeders' Cup, then one welcome offer you might want to look into is 888sport’s £30 of free bets in exchange for an initial £10 bet. You’ll also get a £10 casino bonus thrown on top!
- Another betting promotion you can enjoy with a Breeders' Cup bet is £50 in free bets, a £10 casino bonus, an Odds Boost Token and 20 free spins, all of which is on offer to new customers at SportingBet.
5 Reasons to Bet on the Breeders' Cup
- It’s America’s biggest racing event.
- It’s also one of the world’s most famous festivals.
- Many of the world’s finest thoroughbred racehorses will be there…
- … and the world’s leading jockeys too.
- There is $31 million in prize money on the line.
Breeders' Cup Betting Sites With Live Streaming
Popular Breeders' Cup Betting Markets
In the UK, Breeders' Cup betting is no different from betting on any other horse racing occasion, or indeed other major US horse racing events such as the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness Stakes and the Belmont Stakes. This means, among your many betting opportunities, the following four markets will be available, supplementing the Cheltenham betting offer.
Race Winner Betting
A bet on the race winner is, quite simply, a nice little wager on one race and one race only, and where the punter aims to pick the winner of that particular race. There is nothing else to concern yourself with in a bet such as this, hence why we described it as simple.
Best Breeders' Cup betting site for Race Winner: Mr Green
Why not take the above bet and, if you have a second horse that you fancy, double them together in a joint wager for bigger wins for the same single stake? To place a double, just select the two horses and place them in your online betting slip. From there, add a single stake on the double bet option and wait for the races to start. Both horses need to win in order to generate a return.
Best Breeders' Cup betting site for doubles: Casumo
Top Jockey Betting
This is a nice bet that is easy to understand. Here, all you are required to do is pick the jockey that, over the two days, will ride the most winners. Your best chances of success are to look into the rides each jockey has over the two days of the Breeders' Cup and decide if they are likely to be good runners or not.
Best Breeders' Cup betting site for Top Jockey: LeoVegas
Forecast betting is where the punter selects two horses running in the same race who they believe will be the first two horses past the post. With a forecast bet, the idea is that you pick two horses to come first and second and – this is important – you must get the order correct.
Best Breeders' Cup betting site for forecasts: 32Red
Breeders' Cup 2021 Schedule
|Friday November 5th 2021|
|Juvenile Turf Sprint||2||5 Furlongs||2||$1,000,000|
|Juvenile Turf||1||1 Mile||2||$1,000,000|
|TVG Juvenile Presented By TAA||1||1 + 1/16 Miles||2||$2,000,000|
|Juvenile Fillies||1||1 1/16 Miles||2||$2,000,000|
|Juvenile Fillies Turf||1||1 Mile||2||$1,000,000|
|Saturday November 6th 2021|
|Longines Distaff||1||1 1/8 Miles||3+||$2,000,000|
|Maker’s Mark Filly & Mare Turf||1||1 3/8 Miles||3+||$2,000,000|
|Longines Classic||1||1 1/4 miles||3+||$6,000,000|
|Fanduel Mile Presented By PDJF||1||1 Mile||3+||$2,000,000|
|Longines Turf||1||1 1/2 miles||3+||$4,000,000|
|Big Ass Fans Dirt Mile||1||1 Mile||3+||$1,000,000|
|Turf Sprint||1||5 Furlongs||3+||$1,000,000|
|Filly & Mare Sprint||1||7 Furlongs||3+||$1,000,000|
History of the Breeders' Cup
The first Breeders' Cup was held in 1984, stemming from the desire to create an end-of-season championship for North American Thoroughbred racing season. It was first proposed in 1982 by John R. Gaines, a thoroughbred horse owner and breeder who wished to clean up the sport's image. The event has become one of the richest occasions in racing, with prize money largely pooled from nomination fees paid for by breeders.
The Breeders' Cup is held at a new host venue each year, and, as of 2021, all events have been staged in the United States – with the exception of 1996, when the races were at the Woodbine Racetrack in Canada. It wasn’t until 2007 that the Breeders' Cup was relaunched as a two-day event.
Recent Breeders' Cup Classic Winners
|2020||Authentic||John R. Velazquez|
|2019||Vino Rosso||Irad Ortiz Jr.|
|2017||Gun Runner||Florent Geroux|
|2016||Arrogate||Mike E. Smith|
|2015||American Pharoah||Victor Espinoza|
|2013||Mucho Macho Man||Gary Stevens|
|2012||Fort Larned||Brian Hernandez Jr.|
|2011||Drosselmeyer||Mike E. Smith|
Breeders' Cup Key Stats
- Mike Smith is the leading Breeders' Cup jockey, with 26 wins.
- D. Wayne Lukas is the leading Breeders' Cup trainer, with 20 wins in total.
- Nine-year-old Calidoscopio became the oldest horse to win a Breeders' Cup Race in 2012.
- The oldest ever jockey to win a Breeders' Cup Race is Bill Shoemaker, who rode Ferdinand to victory in 1987 at the age of 56.
- The youngest jockey to ever win a Breeders' Cup Race is Joseph O’Brien, who was just 18 when he won on the back of St Nicholas Abbey in 2011.
Upcoming Sporting Events
Similar Tournaments to the Breeders' Cup
- British Champions Day: This is the richest day in British racing and closes the flat season.
- 2nd November: Melbourne Cup: One of the world’s richest turf races which plays out each November in Melbourne, Australia.
- 12th – 14th November 2021, Cheltenham November Meeting: This race heralds the jump season in the UK and takes place annually at Cheltenham racecourse.
Breeders' Cup Betting FAQs
Viewers in the UK can watch the Breeders’ Cup live on Sky Sports.
The total prize money on offer is around $31 million.
There are 14 races spread unevenly over two days.
A total of 14 runners go in each Breeders’ Cup race.
ThePuntersPage Final Say
The Breeders' Cup is one of the richest few days in horse racing and a major occasion for North American sport. The event is designed as a fun way to bring the curtain down on the season by staging, in one weekend, nothing but Group races of the very highest quality with prize money to match.
As such, in its almost four decades of existence, it has grown internationally as one the great occasions of horse racing anywhere on earth. Consequently, Breeders' Cup bets are hugely anticipated by the many, many fans the event has amassed over the years.