This article about BMW Championship betting refers to the golf tournament which takes place each August in the United States. If this isn't what you're looking for, check out our detailed guide on the BMW PGA Championship instead.
- Tournament Structure for the BMW Championship
- BMW Championship Odds, Betting Tips, Promotions & Predictions
- 5 Reasons To Bet on the BMW Championship
- Betting Sites With BMW Championship Livestreaming
- Popular BMW Championship Betting Markets
- History of the BMW Championship
- Upcoming Sporting Events
- Similar Tournaments To the BMW Championship
- BMW Championship FAQs
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
Tournament Structure for the BMW Championship
The BMW Championship is open to the top 70 PGA Tour golfers, meaning that there is no 36-hole cut. This event is the penultimate FedEx Cup qualifier, from which the top 30 players on the FedEx Cup points leaderboard will emerge and advance to the final playoff event, The Tour Championship, where the FedEx Cup Champion will be determined. All of this culminates in what is also an excellent golf betting opportunity.
A relatively new event on the tour, the BMW Championship started out in 2007 when it replaced the Western Open. As with its predecessor, the tournament usually, but not exclusively, takes place in Illinois, very often in and around the Chicago area.
The event itself lasts for four days, beginning on a Thursday and ending on Sunday. Each of the 70 participants plays all four days in an attempt to amass the highest possible below-par score. The player that achieves this after all 72 holes will be crowned the winner. In the event of a draw, a 3-hole playoff will ensue to determine a winner.
Prize Money for the BMW Championship
The purse for the 2022 renewal of the BMW Championship has been significantly increased to a whopping $15 million.
Best Betting Sites for BMW Championship Betting
18+. New customers using Promo code R30 only. Min £10 stake, min odds ½, free bets paid as 3x £10, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment methods/player/country restrictions apply. Full T&Cs apply. Bet Responsibly. BeGambleAware.org #ad
18+ New UK customers only. Register using the promo code WELCOME40, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £30 in Free Bets and £10 in Free Spins (50x20p) credited within 10 hours of bet settlement. Free Bet stakes are not included in any returns. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required. Full T&Cs apply. Bet Responsibly. BeGambleAware.org #ad
BMW Championship Odds, Betting Tips, Promotions & Predictions
The 2022 renewal of the BMW Championship will get underway on Thursday 18th August and come to a finish on Sunday August 21st. The event will take place at the Wilmington Country Club which is set in the rolling hills of the Delaware Valley.
BMW Championship Betting Odds 2022
BMW Championship Betting Tips & Predictions 2022
The penultimate event of the FedEx Cup playoffs swings to Delaware, US this week, with the Wilmington Country Club thrust into the spotlight. The field has been slashed to 70, and things are only likely to intensify. Will Zalatoris came up trumps last weekend at the FedEx St Jude Invitational as he held his nerve in a gripping three-hole playoff to claim his maiden PGA Tour title, pipping Sebb Straka.
- With the wind in his sails, Zalatoris has shown that he has the tools to compete week in, week out. Wilmington, which is one of the longest courses on the PGA Tour at 7,534 yards (par-71), is laden with the danger on the back nine, including the 17th which is loaded with sand, while the 18th, which is a par-4, has a huge dogleft, leaving an uphill approach shot. Although distance from the tee could be a factor, Zalatoris ranks 12th for this stat (314.7 yards), while he is also second for strokes gained from tee to green (1.797). Notoriously, it is very difficult to claim back-to-back wins on the PGA Tour, although Tony Finau recently achieved this. Zalatoris will be eager to leave a mark, and although he’s trading at 16/1 with most bookmakers to enter the winner’s circle, he could just come up short.
- A more likely candidate perhaps to claim the spoils is Justin Thomas. The American surprisingly has only won once on the PGA Tour title in the past 18 months, but he did wrap up his second Major title at the PGA Championship back in May. Thomas is a steely competitor with quite a few tricks up his sleeve. He is fabulous when in full flow and second for birdie averages (4.66). Once he gets on a roll, Thomas can be a force of nature and stands to light things up. Thomas is currently 10th in the FedEx Cup standings and a win will give him lift off ahead of East Lake. Like Zalatoris, Thomas is trading at around 16/1 to clinch the BMW Championship, and he could well end his mini-drought. If he can do so, he will be hoping to do so in 72 holes and avert a playoff, which is how things have ended in three of the past four editions of the BMW Championship.
- Meanwhile, if you are looking for value elsewhere, then we suggest you take a closer look at Cameron Young. It has been a brilliant breakout season for the rookie, who has amassed five runner-up finishes, becoming the first player to do so since Vijay Singh in 2003. Young may well relish the challenge of Wilmington, and while his scrambling needs some work, he could make another big impression. While Young is trading around the 28/1 mark with most bookmakers, a top-10 finish seems more feasible this week.
BMW Championship Betting Promotions 2022
- Your BMW betting experience could be heightened even further by taking advantage of Betfair′s offer of £100 in free bets.
- Otherwise, you could snap up 10bet′s 50% up to £50 promotion, which could easily set you on your way.
5 Reasons To Bet on the BMW Championship
- The BMW Championship has only a 70-string field.
- There is no 36-hole cut.
- It is worth $9.5 million in prize money.
- It is one of the last tourneys of the season.
- This tournament is also one of the last chances for players to collect FedEx points.
Betting Sites With BMW Championship Livestreaming
- William Hill
Popular BMW Championship Betting Markets
Like all golf tournaments, the BMW Championship is a paradise for those who enjoy golf betting. You name it, you can bet on it (with the exception of betting on the cut).
Outright Tournament Winner Betting
Betting on the outright winner simply means to place a bet on the golfer that you believe will win the upcoming tournament. In the case of the BMW Championship, there are only 70 players to choose from, which should make placing a wager (somewhat) easier!
If you have confidence that your pick will do well but still harbour a few doubts that they may, ultimately, fall short, then an each-way bet might be worth considering. True, it costs two stakes, but it will pay out if your player finishes in the places, and many online bookmakers pay more places than usual on golf as a betting promotion.
72-Hole Match Betting
Match bets on golf pit two players against each other over 72 holes or four days of play. In order to win this bet, you must select which player will score better in the tournament. Note: it does not matter where your pick finishes, so long as they do better than the player they have been paired with for your wager.
FedEx Cup Winner Betting
The FedEx Cup is a championship trophy on the PGA Tour and is awarded according to the cumulative points for the golfing year. Bookmakers offer a market on this award for punters to bet on.
History of the BMW Championship
The BMW Championship was first held at Cog Hill Golf & Country Club in Lemont, Illinois, southwest of Chicago in 2007. A year later, in 2008, it was moved to Missouri at Bellerive Country Club near St. Louis. It has also been held in Indiana and Colorado but has, for the most part, been held in Illinois.
Its forerunner, the Western Open, was first played in 1899. For many years, again, it mainly took place in and out of the state of Illinois, before eventually settling down in the Chicago area. The Western Open was once considered to be one of golf's majors.
Recent BMW Championship Winners
BMW Championship Key Stats
- In 2018, both Justin Rose and eventual champion Keegan Bradley shot a course record 260.
- The previous record, 262, was held by Tiger Woods and Jason Day.
- Over 18 holes, Jim Furyk holds the record after he shot 59 in 2013 at Conway Farms Golf Club.
- Tiger Woods’ eight-stroke victory in 2009 remains a course record.
- The record under-par score in this event current stands at -27, set by Patrick Cantlay in 2021.
Upcoming Sporting Events
Similar Tournaments To the BMW Championship
- 8th – 11th September, 2022, BMW PGA Championship: Played annually at the Wentworth Club in Surrey, England, this events is one of the key tournaments of Europe′s DP World Tour Championships.
- 15th – 18th September 2022, Italian Open: The venue for this event changes regularly, with the 2022 edition set to be held at the Marco Simone Golf and Country Club on the outskirts of Rome.
- 6th – 9th October 2022, Shriner′s Hospital Open: Played for charity, this event is another popular stop on the PGA Tour.
- 17th – 20th November, 2022, the DP World Tour Championship: The climax to the European Tour golf season, this event is held annually in Dubai.
- 25th – 28th May 2023, KLM Open: The KLM Open is an annual European Tour golf tournament played at Bernardus in the Netherlands.
- TBA, 2023, Jude Invitational: Taking place at the TPC Southwind, this is the first event in the FedEx Cup Playoffs.
BMW Championship FAQs
You can watch the BMW Championship live on Sky Sports.
The BMW Championship takes place annually in late August.
The prize fund for the BMW Championship is $15 million.
The field is capped at the top 70 players in FedEx Cup points, following the WGC-FedEx St. Jude tournament.
Yes – there is no cut in the BMW Championship.
Yes, you can bet on a hole-in-one if you fancy one happening.
ThePuntersPage Final Say
The BMW Championship (not to be confused with the European Tour's BMW PGA Championship) is the penultimate stage of the FedEx Cup Playoffs, meaning only the top 70 on the FedEx Cup points leaderboard at the start of the BMW event are eligible to take part. The tournament generally rotates in venues in and around Chicago, Illinois, and its streamlined field mean there are generally fewer stragglers. This makes for all-round excellent golf that is great for watching and, even if we say so ourselves, even better for golf betting.