The Italian Open golf tournament is an annual event usually played in Rome. It draws in thousands of viewers and is preceded by other significant events, including the Barcelona Open and the Madrid Masters. Read on to find out the latest Italian Open betting tips, odds, picks, and predictions.
- Tournament Structure for the Italian Open
- Italian Open 2022 Betting Odds, Tips, Promotions & Predictions
- Italian Open Betting Promotions 2022
- 5 Reasons To Bet on the Italian Open
- Italian Open Betting Sites With Live Streaming
- Popular Italian Open Betting Markets
- History of the Italian Open
- Similar Tournaments to the Italian Open
- Upcoming Sporting Events
- Italian Open Betting FAQs
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
Tournament Structure for the Italian Open
The Italian Open is a typical stroke play event, meaning that it begins on a Thursday and culminates in a Sunday finish. After play concludes on day two, a cut is introduced to chop the field down in size, leaving the remaining players to progress on to two more rounds. The latter are then played over the weekend, with struggling players removed from that year’s captain. By the end of 72 holes of play, the golfer with the lowest below-par score will be crowned the tournament champion.
It is, however, possible for players to come home on tied scores, in which case a playoff will take place – usually over three holes – in order to find a winner.
The event has a prize pool of €3 million that is split between the top performers.
Best Betting Sites for Italian Open Betting
18+ New UK customers only. Register using the promo code WELCOME40, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £30 in Free Bets and £10 in Free Spins (50x20p) credited within 10 hours of bet settlement. Free Bet stakes are not included in any returns. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required. Full T&Cs apply. Bet Responsibly. BeGambleAware.org #ad
18+ New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first bet loses. Wagering requirements: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Unless forfeited the sportsbook bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in. No deposit required for NI customers. Call 08081699314 to claim. Full T&Cs apply. Bet Responsibly. BeGambleAware.org #ad
Italian Open 2022 Betting Odds, Tips, Promotions & Predictions
The tournament itself will begin on Thursday September 15th coming to a finish on Sunday September 18th 2022. This year, it will take place at the Marco Simone Golf and Country Club, which hosts a a par 72 golf course in Guidonia, located around 10 miles from the city centre of Rome.
Golf Italian Open Outright Winner Odds 2022
As one can see above, Rory McIlroy is the absolute favourite to take the trophy home! With other players being a step (or more) behind McIlroy, we don't suggest putting anyone else's name on your betting slip.
Italian Open Betting Promotions 2022
- Newcomers, who may not be familiar with all of the golfing terms, looking to bet on the Italian Open golf might want to take advantage of QuinnBet′s £25 in free bets plus 5 free spins, which can be unlocked as soon as you bet £10.
- Another fantastic betting offer that would work well with golf is bwin′s £20 backup bet, which provides you with a little insurance on your first bet.
5 Reasons To Bet on the Italian Open
- It is one of the climatic events on the DP World Tour.
- Europe′s top golfers will be there.
- There are Race To Dubai points on offer.
- The tourney holds a €3 million prize pool.
- This course will host the Ryder Cup in 2023.
Italian Open Betting Sites With Live Streaming
Popular Italian Open Betting Markets
Golf betting is not as well known as other sports betting options such as football or horse racing; however, there is no question about its surge in popularity in recent years. The sport offers many betting options that, if you're lucky, will allow you to enjoy some handsome winnings throughout the year. This undoubtedly makes the Italian Open all the more entertaining for punters.
Here are a few popular bets that you should consider – not only for the Italian Open, but also for other golf tournaments.
When you bet on futures, you are betting on a golfer to win a tournament. Generally, this offers excellent payouts. A typical futures line will have the name of the golfer followed by the odds.
Matchup betting is when you place a stake on a player to score lower than another player. Usually, this will be one golfer against another, or a trio of players – a standard golf matchup betting line. The line starts from the left containing the golfer's name, followed by the spread line with a hyphen for the totals, and last of all, the moneyline. The spread includes the number at which the line will be set, followed by odds, while the moneyline contains only the betting odds.
Moneyline betting is straightforward, as you are merely betting on a golfer to score lower than his chosen counterpart. It is vital to understand the payout structure here.
Golf betting spread is when you aren't betting on a player to win or lose; however, you are covering the spread, which is set at 1/2.
History of the Italian Open
The Italian Open is a national open golf championship for men. Although it has been a European Tour Rolex event since 2017, it has been around long before that. Founded in 1925, it has formed part of the European Tour schedule since the tour's inception in 1972.
The first edition of the Italian Open was held at The Golf Club Alpino di Stresa, in 1925. Since then, the event has visited various golf courses throughout Italy. The Circolo Golf Villa d’Este has hosted the tournament a record 12 times, albeit most recently in 1972, on the Montorfano course.
Other venues have included the Golf Club Milano, the Golf Club Monticello, and the Golf Club Castello Tolcinasco, among others. Several notable golfers have won the Italian Open over the years, including Bernhard Langer, Sam Torrance, and Italian Francesco Molinari.
Recent Italian Open Winners
Key Stats and Facts
- Total Italian Open prize money for 2022 is €3 million.
- Percy Alliss set the Italian Open aggregate record of 262 in 1935
- This has since been equalled in successive seasons by Francesco Molinari and Thorbjørn Olesen in 2018 and 2019 respectively.
- Hennie Otto was one stroke away from breaking the aggregate record in 2008.
- Auguste Boyer and Flory Van Donck managed 4 wins each.
Similar Tournaments to the Italian Open
- 8th – 11th September 2022 – BMW PGA Championship: This is a European Tour event formerly held in May, but now takes place in September at the Wentworth Club in Surrey, England.
- 29th September – 2nd October 2022 – Alfred Dunhill Links: A unique pro-am European Tour tourney that is part team, part individual, and takes place each September.
- 6th – 9th April 2023 – US Masters: The first of golf′s majors to take place each year, at the famous Augusta Club in Georgia, USA.
- 18th – 21st May 2023 – US PGA Championship: Golf′s second major of the season which has no fixed venue.
- 15th – 18th June 2023 – US Open: The third out of four golfing majors to take place, and the final one to be held in the USA.
- 20th – 23rd July 2023 – The Open Championship: The oldest major of them all and the last one of the season, held annually within the UK.
- 29th September – 1st October 2023 – The Ryder Cup: Biannual team event contested between Europe and the USA, who take it in turn to host.
Upcoming Sporting Events
Italian Open Betting FAQs
Like all European Tour events, you can watch it on Sky Sports.
This year’s tourney will be held at the Marco Simone Golf & Country Club.
The latest renewal of the Italian Open will take place on September 15th, finishing on September 18th 2022.
There are several popular bets for golf. The most common are futures and matchup betting, along with moneyline and spreads.
Nicolai Højgaard won the tournament in 2021.
Auguste Boyer and Flory Van Donck have won the tournament four times each.
ThePuntersPage Final Say
The Italian Open usually sees top players in attendance, challenging each other for the lion’s share of the hefty prize pool. Eagerly awaited by punters and golf fans alike, the tournament prompts the best bookmakers out there to offer attractive odds and a variety of betting markets. Be sure to make a note in your calendar!