Following its cancellation in 2020 due to the pandemic, the Rugby Autumn Internationals (also referred to as the End-of-year Internationals), are a series of rugby tests where teams from the southern hemisphere visit the northern half of the globe. Read on to find out about Autumn Internationals betting, its tournament structure, and why it promises to be a fascinating watch.
Table of Contents
- Best Betting Sites for the Autumn Internationals
- Best Bookies for Autumn Internationals – Top 5 Ranked
- Autumn Internationals Betting Odds, Promotions, Tips & Predictions
- 5 Reasons To Bet on the Autumn Internationals
- Best Autumn Internationals Betting Sites With Live Streaming
- Popular Autumn Internationals Betting Markets
- Tournament Structure for Autumn Internationals
- History of the Autumn Internationals
- Upcoming Sporting Events
- Similar Tournaments to the Autumn Internationals
- Autumn Internationals FAQs
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New customers only. Place your FIRST bet on any sportsbook market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £20. Only deposits made using cards or Apple Pay will qualify for this promotion. T&Cs apply. Paddy's Rewards Club: Get a £10 free bet when you place 5x bets of £10+. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
New customer offer. Place 5 x £10or more bets to receive £20in free bets. Repeat up to 5 times to receive maximum £100bonus. Min odds 1/2 (1.5). Exchange bets excluded. Payment restrictions apply. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ Min deposit requirement. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits and are available for use upon settlement of bets to value of qualifying deposit. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
T&Cs: New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first 5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4x 5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. No cashout, restrictions + Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
Best Bookies for Autumn Internationals – Top 5 Ranked
#1 Paddy Power
#4 William Hill
Autumn Internationals Betting Odds, Promotions, Tips & Predictions
The Autumn Internationals 2021 makes its very welcome return on the 30th October when Scotland host Tonga at Murrayfield, and ends when the Barbarians take on Samoa at Twickenham on the 27th November. One of the series' highlights will undoubtedly be when England take on Australia at London’s Twickenham stadium. If you are looking for the England v Australia Rugby betting odds, then they will be with you shortly.
Autumn Internationals Betting Odds 2021
Each day of the series, individual match betting odds will be available for many of the matches being played that day. However, there are no outright odds as this series has no winner and is not a tournament as such.
Wales v New Zealand Betting Odds
Scotland v Tonga Betting Odds
Autumn Internationals Betting Tips & Predictions 2021
There are no outright rugby betting tips for this event because it is not a tournament that plays down to a winner. Rather, it is a series of games where the northern hemisphere teams host those from the southern hemisphere.
Wales v New Zealand Betting Tips
- Wales have a tough start to the series, facing off against the world’s number one-ranked team at Cardiff on Saturday. The All Blacks prepared for their visit to the Principality Stadium with a 104-14 victory over the USA in Maryland last on Saturday. As such, they will be full of confidence when they take on Wayne Pivac's side this weekend, and are strongly fancied by the bookies to open their tour with a win over their hosts.
- Wales have lost their last 31 games against New Zealand, a losing streak that stretches all the way back to 1953, which explains why there is no value whatsoever to be found in backing the visitors. The Welsh, however, are available at 16/1 to pull off a shock win against the Kiwis. The hosts are not helped either by being made to play without some key personnel against the All Blacks.
- Josh Navidi, Justin Tipuric, George North, Dan Lydiate, James Botham and Leigh Halfpenny are all missing with injuries. Dan Biggar, Callum Sheedy, Louis Rees-Zammit, Taulupe Faletau, Nick Tompkins, Thomas Young and Christ Tshiunza are all also unavailable for selection as they play their club rugby outside of Wales, and this fixture will take place outside of world rugby's international window.
New Zealand, on the other hand, are expected to be near full strength.
Scotland v Tonga Betting Tips
- Scotland host Tonga at Murrayfield on Saturday, in what will be the first of four Autumn Internationals to be contested in Edinburgh. The Bravehearts are also set to play Australia, South Africa and Japan on home soil over the next month. Despite being ranked as the huge underdogs, Tonga have won in Scotland before, inflicting a 21-15 defeat on Scotland at the Pittodrie in 2012.
- Townsend will be keen to avoid a repeat upset against a Tonga team that will be missing many of their household names. As such, Scotland are the overwhelming favourites to make a winning start to their Autumn Internationals, despite including as many as 12 uncapped players in their 42-man squad. However, they will be forced to do without centre Mark Bennett and hooker Fraser Brown, both of whom will miss the series due to injuries. Edinburgh's Dave Cherry has been called upon to replace Brown, while Magnus Bradbury has also been drafted into the squad.
- Flanker Rory Darge could make his Scotland debut at the expanse of Hamish Watson, who is struggling with a groin issue, while Glasgow’s Ali Price and Zander Fagerson are unlikely to start. Scotland will also be missing their British &
- Irish Lions contingent, with Stuart Hogg, Finn Russell, Chris Harris, Rory Sutherland and Duhan van der Merwe all unavailable.
As for Tonga, they have been plagued by pandemic concerns and will be without head coach Toutai Kefu, making their job even tougher.
Autumn Internationals Betting Promotions 2021
- If you are looking to bet on the Autumn Internationals or even do some Rugby World Cup betting, then you can take advantage of a great welcome offer at William Hill, where you can get £30 in return for a qualifying bet of £10.
- Another enticing welcome offer can be found at Paddy Power, where you can enjoy £20 risk free as a new customer.
5 Reasons To Bet on the Autumn Internationals
- It features the best southern hemisphere teams
- And those from Europe too
- As well as the best rugby players
- We missed this last year
- It’s rugby at its finest
Best Autumn Internationals Betting Sites With Live Streaming
Popular Autumn Internationals Betting Markets
With all of the leading rugby nations in action, the Autumn Internationals is one of the highlights of the rugby year. Because of the teams involved, many exciting rugby betting markets open up around the series. Here are some:
Match Winner Betting
Although there are three outcomes, draws are quite hard to come by in rugby, so most of the time you’re essentially choosing between which of the two teams will triumph. Not only can this be done pre-match, but most bookmakers will also offer you the chance to bet in-play right until the final whistle goes.
Best Autumn Internationals betting site for match winner: Betfair
Winning Margin Betting
With a winning margin bet, punters are able to predict the size of the margin that a nominated team will win an upcoming rugby match by. The bookmakers will set a number of margins of victories, and bettors can select the one they believe is the most likely outcome. This type of bet is a handy way of getting better odds when two teams of mismatched quality are playing a match.
Best Autumn Internationals betting site for winning margin: bet365
Total Points Odd or Even Betting
For this bet, punters need to predict whether the total number of points scored in a match will be an odd amount or an even one. This applies to the total number scored by both teams added together, not the one scored by an individual team. There isn’t any particular skill required for this wager and there are only two options, but you can make educated guesses by working out beforehand the playing style of the two teams involved. All points scored in rugby (save for conversions – which only occur after tries have been scored) are worth an odd amount of points.
Best Autumn Internationals betting site for total points odd or even: BoyleSports
Top Tryscorer Betting
Another popular bet that will keep going till the end of the competition is the top tryscorer. One of the main targets in rugby is to score a try. It’s the fastest way to score big points in a match, and for that reason, it’s very difficult to score one – we see less than 5 per game on average.
When betting on this market, you’re predicting which player will conclude the tournament with the highest number of tries. Given each team has 15 players plus subs, there are loads of options to try your hand at in this market. Those who fancy a punt could be tempted to back the generous odds on players on the lower end of the market.
Best Autumn Internationals betting site for top tryscorer: Paddy Power
Tournament Structure for Autumn Internationals
The Autumn Internationals 2021 will see a number of southern hemisphere nations visit the northern hemisphere for a series of international rugby fixtures.
Teams such as Australia, New Zealand and South Africa will take on European nations, namely England, Scotland and Wales. The USA was due to host Ireland in Las Vegas but that has since been cancelled. In total, there will be 21 matches featuring rugby-playing nations from the top two tiers of the sport.
With the series just being a collection of test fixtures, there is no overall winner of this event, although teams can climb the world ranking table if performances are good. Below, we have listed this year’s fixtures.
|Tier One||Tier Two|
2021 Autumn Internationals Fixtures
|30th October||Scotland v Tonga||BT Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh|
|30th October||Wales v New Zealand||Principality Stadium, Cardiff|
|6th November||Ireland v Japan||Aviva Stadium, Dublin|
|6th November||Italy v New Zealand||Stadio Olimpico, Rome|
|6th November||England v Tonga||Twickenham Stadium, London|
|6th November||Wales v South Africa||Principality Stadium, Cardiff|
|6th November||France v Argentina||Stade de France, Paris|
|7th November||Scotland v Australia||BT Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh|
|13th November||Italy v Argentina||Stadio Comunale di Monigo, Treviso|
|13th November||Scotland v South Africa||BT Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh|
|13th November||Ireland v New Zealand||Aviva Stadium, Dublin|
|13th November||England v Australia||Twickenham Stadium, London|
|14th November||France v Georgia||Matmut Atlantique, Bordeaux|
|14th November||Wales v Fiji||Principality Stadium, Cardiff|
|20th November||Italy v Uruguay||Stadio Sergio Lanfranchi, Parma|
|20th November||Scotland v Japan||BT Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh|
|20th November||England v South Africa||Twickenham Stadium, London|
|20th November||Wales v Australia||Principality Stadium, Cardiff|
|20th November||France v New Zealand||Stade de France, Paris|
|21st November||Ireland v Argentina||Aviva Stadium, Dublin|
|27th November||Barbarians v Samoa||Twickenham Stadium, London|
History of the Autumn Internationals
The first ever Autumn Internationals were held in November 2000. Argentina participated as a touring side, along with Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Romania, Samoa, South Africa and the USA. The Six Nations – England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, France and Italy were the hosts.
In 2020, the Autumn International Series was replaced for one year only by the Autumn Nations Cup – a tournament that England won and was played behind closed doors due to the worldwide pandemic.
Recent Autumn Internationals Winners
There are no past winners of the Autumn Internationals as this is a series of unrelated test matches and not a tournament. When the series was cancelled in 2020 to be replaced temporarily by the Autumn Nations Cup, there was a tournament format which led to a final between Wales and England, which the latter won.
Autumn Internationals Key Stats
- England won the only ever Autumn Nations Cup that replaced the Autumn Internationals in 2020.
- The top three sides in the world will all be from the touring southern teams. These are New Zealand, Australia and reigning world champions, South Africa.
- Australia achieved its only Grand Slam (beating all four British home nations) in 1984.
- New Zealand won their Grand Slams in 1978, 2005 and 2008.
- South Africa won the Grand Slam in the following years: 1912, 1932, 1952 and 1961.
Upcoming Sporting Events
Similar Tournaments to the Autumn Internationals
- 5th February – 19th March 2022, Six Nations: Held each February and March, the Six Nations is contested by the four home nations plus France and Italy.
- 28th May 2022, Challenge Cup Final: A Rugby League event, the final of the Betfred Challenge Cup which will take place at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London next May.
- 8th September – 28th October 2023, Rugby World Cup: The next Rugby Union World Cup will be held in 2023 in France.
Autumn Internationals FAQs
When will the 2021 Autumn Internationals take place?
The 2021 Autumn Internationals will begin on October 30 and end on November 27.
Which teams will participate in the Autumn Internationals?
A total of 27 teams will take part from both tiers of international rugby.
What are the best bookies for the Autumn Internationals?
Where can I watch the Autumn Internationals?
The Autumn Internationals Series will be broadcast live on Prime TV.
ThePuntersPage Final Say
The Autumn Internationals looks set to be a sporting spectacle that will thrill – a welcome bright spot during what’s been a very uncertain year.
Taking place in Europe annually each November and December, these tests are traditionally contested between the giants of rugby from the northern and southern hemispheres. These are the Six Nations participants (England, Ireland, Wales, Scotland, France and Italy), and the Tri-Nations regulars (Australia, New Zealand and South Africa), plus Argentina, Samoa, Fiji and Tonga – who refer to the series as the Spring Tours.
Although the Autumn Internationals are not a stand-alone Rugby Union tournament in their own right, they do count towards world rankings. There is also the chance for touring nations to complete a Grand Slam by beating the four home nations of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. There certainly won’t be a lack of opportunity for punters, stretching on right till the very end of the tournament!