Each September, six furlongs at Ayr racecourse are home to the richest flat race in Scotland. The Ayr Gold Cup is a highlight of the British horse racing calendar, providing a chance to experience world-class racing and bet on the finest thoroughbreds. So, read on to find out all the information you need to make the most of your Ayr Gold Cup 2022 wagers.
- Tournament Structure for Ayr Gold Cup 2022
- Ayr Gold Cup 2022 Odds, Betting Tips, Promotions & Predictions
- Ayr Gold Cup Betting Promotions 2022
- 5 Reasons To Bet on the Gold Cup
- Betting Sites With Ayr Gold Cup 2022 Live Streaming
- Popular Ayr Gold Cup Betting Markets
- History of Ayr Gold Cup
- Similar Tournaments to Ayr Gold Cup
- Upcoming Sporting Events
- Ayr Gold Cup Betting FAQs
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
Tournament Structure for Ayr Gold Cup 2022
Part of the the Gold Cup Ayr magic lies in its simplicity. Here’s all you need to know.
- It is a flat handicap horse race, open to all thoroughbreds aged three or more years.
- The distance is 1,207 metres, which means you should be able to expect the winning horse to come between 1.10 and 1.20, although anything is possible.
- The prize pool is a large one, having gone up to £200,00 in the past, attracting the finest horses and trainers across the UK.
- In 2021, the Ayr Gold Cup was watched by 24 million people.
- It is the crowned jewel of the three-day Ayr Gold Cup festival. There are other similar events, such as the Arran Scottish Fillies′ Sprint Stakes, the Doonside Cup, the Firth of Clyde Stakes and the Harry Rosebery Stakes. They do not have an impact on the Ayr Gold Cup race itself, but do show that this event is part of a broader celebration of horse racing excellence.
- This year, the Ayr Gold Cup takes place between the 15th and 17th of September and is sponsored by Virgin. The race itself will be held on Saturday the 17th of September.
- So, what time is the Ayr Gold Cup? The Virgin Bet Ayr Gold Cup handicap is set to take place at 15.05.
Ayr Gold Cup 2022 Odds, Betting Tips, Promotions & Predictions
Even for a race this simple, there are a few important things to understand. Here are the Gold Cup Ayr odds, promotions, as well as expert tips and predictions to give yourself the best chance of success.
Ayr Gold Cup 2022 Betting Odds
Here, we’ve provided the odds on the ten top picks to win the Ayr Gold Cup. Do keep in mind that the race has a max limit of 27, and the specifics of the competitors are not yet confirmed. Odds are subject to change
In the case of odds change, we will update as soon as we can. If you want additional up-to-date racing information, be sure to check out our updated racecards for information on the most recent and relevant races.
Ayr Gold Cup 2022 Betting Tips
While our predictions refer specifically to how we think the Ayr Gold Cup is going to go down, tips are a more general look at how we think you can approach this race with a strategy that works for you.
Even though we can’t guarantee success, we can provide you with some wisdom which will give you the best chance of a decent return. With that in mind, here are five simple tips we think all our readers can benefit from considering.
- Consider the handicap This means that different horses carry different weights depending on their ability, in theory providing Ayr Gold Cup with a more even and interesting contest. In terms of betting strategy, it also means that there are many more potential winners than there would likely be otherwise. Take this fact into account when selecting your markets.
- Remember the favourite is still an underdog The favourite here has odds of 8/1, which converted is probably about 11.1%. In other words, if what you prefer are short odds, then you may need to look at multiple markets and selections.
- Consider the advantage of pros and cons of different odds The pros and cons of this scale are simple. The longer the odds, the less likely something is to happen – but with greater rewards. The shorter the odds, the more likely it is believed something will happen but with smaller returns. Contemplate which possibility you prefer and the stakes you are willing to put up before evaluating the markets.
- Take advantage of multiple markets Speaking of markets, let us not forget you have many more options than just selecting the Ayr Gold Cup winner, from each way to tricast betting. It is important to think in many directions to find the right market or markets which work for you.
- Read through those racing forms When they become available closer to the start of the race, we recommend that you check out as much of the racing form as you can. All you need to do is to look up the form of the horse which interests you and consider whether those odds represent good value based on what you have learned. That is the bedrock of any good betting strategy.
Ayr Gold Cup 2022 Betting Predictions
To help get the gears whirling for your own Ayr Gold Cup betting predictions, we’ve decided to share some of our own. Here are five of our top predictions.
Many unexpected names to make an impact
Handicap races are fantastic for allowing lesser names to shine. And that’s exactly what we think they are going to do. We wouldn’t be surprised to see several runners not even considered in the top half of favourites to finish in the top ten.
Great Ambassador to fail to place
The incredibly competitive field of options does not just mean that Great Ambassador is unlikely to win the race, it also means there’s a strong chance it won’t place. This really opens the possibilities of successful markets.
One place winner at 20/1 or above
As you can probably tell by now, we think this could be a race full of surprises. While we don’t think an outsider will win the whole thing, a longer odds place winner looks entirely feasible. An option like Admiral D or Asjad, for instance, with odds above 20/1, could provide a great opportunity.
A shock Ayr Gold Cup winner
This kind of race is incredibly hard to pick a winner for. The only thing we predict here is that it will be a name slightly below the top bookie picks. We think, for example, that a mid-level pick like Jumby or Misty Grey is entirely possible. We suppose, overall, a broader prediction is that the bookmakers’ odds will be far off the end result.
An over 1.10 finishing time
For this race to be in the running for a record time, we’d be looking at under 1.10 – and while that would be exciting, we feel it is unlikely. If we’re going with longer odd predictions, then we need to be logically consistent and that means less of a chance for such a winner to also break the record.
Best Betting Sites for Ayr Gold Cup Betting
18+ New UK customers (Excluding NI) only. £20 in FREE Bets (FB) as £10 in sports bets & a £10 casino bonus (CB). Min Deposit £10. Min stake £10. Min odds Evs. FB applied on 1st settlement of any qualifying bet. FB 7-day expiry. 1 FB offer per customer, household & IP address only. Account & Payment restrictions. 14 days to accept £10 CB, then active for 3 days. CB 5x wagering & max redeemable £100. Game restrictions apply. Cashed out/Free Bets won’t apply. 30 days to qualify. Full T&Cs apply. Bet Responsibly. BeGambleAware.org #ad
Ayr Gold Cup Betting Promotions 2022
Horse racing betting enjoys some of the best promotions of any sport. That’s why even though right now there might not be a great deal of promotions specific to the Ayr Gold Cup, there are still many relevant bonuses.
Let's take a look at just a few examples from some of our favourite bookmakers. Do keep in mind, this is just a snapshot of what’s available, with all the best horse racing betting sites offering some bonuses relevant to horse racing and the Ayr Gold Cup.
- Always a top contender for best bookie for promotions is bet365, and they certainly do not let us down with their fantastic bet £10 get £50 welcome offer. This can be used broadly across all kinds of sports, including major horse racing events like the Ayr Gold Cup.
- The best odds guaranteed promotion is one of the most important in all horse racing betting. That is why many of our readers will be thrilled to hear about BetVictor′s BOG offer, so they can always getting the most out of their bets.
- Another great newcomer promotion comes from Coral, providing a £20 free bet for £5. This can be used on all kinds of markets including multiple bets and even accumulator betting. You are getting quadruple your bet here, making this one of the most generous welcome offers out there.
5 Reasons To Bet on the Gold Cup
The Ayr Gold Cup doesn’t just stand out because of its history or the festivities around it – there are tangible reasons why this deserves any punters attention!
- A broad field of potential Ayr Gold Cup winners: Some races have clear favourites. That means that even though a race may have many runners, only a few really enjoy much of a realistic shot of winning or placing. This race is different, with virtually every participant representing a reasonable bet.
- Simplicity: There is nothing complicated about a flat handicap horse race. The forms are simple to study as there are fewer factors to consider…or you could just throw caution to the wind and pick whatever feels right! The excellent field of runners means you can still be in with a chance.
- Promotions: As mentioned above, there are loads of great promotions available on the Ayr Gold Cup, so tons of extra value to be found on almost every good bookmaker. Remember too you can sign up to multiple betting accounts to utilise whichever bonus offer you see fit.
- Odds Versatility: The large number of runners (up to 27) in the Ayr Gold Cup means more markets options and thus more chance to find odds which work for you.
- Entertainment: Gambling should always be about enhancing entertainment, and this is a fine example of exactly that. The Ayr Gold Cup is one of the richest and most revered races in the UK, which means that you are getting some of the best racing the country has to offer. Thankfully, the Cup only lasts a little over a minute, because many of you will be holding onto your breath!
Betting Sites With Ayr Gold Cup 2022 Live Streaming
Popular Ayr Gold Cup Betting Markets
One of the coolest things about betting on big horse racing events like the Gold Cup is the offered number of ways to bet. To get you started, here’s some example of popular Ayr Gold Cup markets commonly available. If you want a more complete list of markets, do check out our horse racing beginners guide for more details.
As an extra tip, make sure to go over the non-runner no bet policy of your preferred bookie, especially with ante-post betting.
Win & Each Way
This improves your chances of a successful wager, offering success whether your pick is an Ayr Gold Cup winner or runner up. In a competition with as many racers as the Gold Cup Ayr, this is a popular and often wise market to go for.
Each Way Extra
Some bookmakers allow you to go further than your standard each way betting markets, typically providing up to five places. Again, there are a potential 27 racers in the Ayr Gold Cup, and if you’re going for one of the lesser favourites, this is a great way of shoring up your chances while still providing a decent return. You’ll see this market similarly popular for the likes of the Grand National or Cheltenham Festival as it helps make huge races a little more digestible to newcomers.
Any market you choose from the race can be utilised as part of an accumulator bet, where multiple selections create one giant wager with potentially huge payouts. This is a great option if you want to bet on the other races that also take place during this festival.
Some people love to go for the long shot. Forecast betting asks you to predict the horses to finish both as Ayr Gold Cup winner and runner up, providing potentially large profits. It’s a tough market, but one with big rewards.
The same as above, but this time the exact order of the top three must be predicted perfectly.
History of Ayr Gold Cup
Nearing in on two centuries old, having been established in 1804 at the former Ayr racecourse of Belleisle, the 2022 competition is one more chapter in a horse racing legend. It began as a two-and-a-half-mile race only for Scottish runners. The handicap was introduced in 1855, allowing for a more even race.
The modern version of the race really began in 1907 when it was moved to Ayrshire, which also gave it its length of six furlongs, which stands today. There was also the introduction of the Ayr Silver Cup for those eliminated from potential Ayr Gold Cup competition in 1992, and a further Bronze Cup race for those excluded from that in 2009. This helped turn the Ayr Gold Cup into the festival of horse racing greatness we all enjoy today.
|2021||Bielsa||Kevin Stott||Kevin Ryan|
|2020||Nehaar||Tom Marquand||William Haggas|
|2019||Angel Alexander||Richard Kingscote||Paul Cole|
|2018||Baron Bolt Son of Rest||Chris Hayes||Andrew Balding|
|2017||Donjuan Triumphant||P.J McDonald||Kevin Ryan|
|2016||Brando||Tom Eaves||Richard Fahey|
|2015||Don’t Touch||Tony Hamilton||David O‘Meara|
|2014||Louis the Pious||James Doyle||Andrew Balding|
|2013||Highland Colori||Oisin Murphy||Kevin Ryan|
|2012||Captain Ramius||Pay Smullen||Kevin Ryan|
Ayr Gold Cup Key Stats
- The first Ayr Gold Cup event took place in 1804, at the former Ayr racecourse in Belleisle.
- It is a flat handicap horse race, and has been so since the mid-19th century.
- The current distance is 6 furlongs, or 1207 metres.
- It is open to all thoroughbreds aged over three years old.
- The most successful Gold Cup winner, jockey, and trainer all came in the 1800s. They were Dazzle, who won in 1889, 1890 and 1891, Tom Nicholson and William Noble – the jockeys who each led four horses to victory and Tom Dawson as leading trainer of 15 Ayr Gold Cup winners.
- The Ayr Gold Cup 2021 winner Bielsa was trained by Kevin Ryan, who has trained the victor of this race five times since 1980.
- The last horse to come in under 1.10 was Angel Alexander at 1.09.26.
- Since the move to six furlongs, the lightest winning horse was Marmaduke Jinks, who weighed a little under 7 stone.
- The maximum number of runners is 27.
- It traditionally takes place on the last day or the Ayr Gold Cup Festival.
Similar Tournaments to Ayr Gold Cup
- 17th March 2023, Cheltenham Gold Cup: Just like the Gold Cup Ayr, the Cheltenham Gold Cup ends a legendary racing festival (Cheltenham Festival) with one of the most important races on the calendar. Nonetheless, it is a different experience, taking place over 5,294 metres and with 22 fences to be jumped. But it is all part of the rich tapestry of events which make British racing so great.
- 21-22 April 2023, Coral Scottish Grand National: Taking place at Ayr Racecourse, the Scottish Grand National is a Grade 3 National Hunt steeplechase that goes off around a week after its English equivalent, and will often feature some of the Grand National horses.
- 6th May 2023, 2000 Guineas Stakes: This Group 1 flat race is a summer highlight of every horse racing fan. Taking place over a mile, it is a little longer than the Ayr Gold Cup but still showcases the best in British flat racing, being both the first leg of the Triple Crown and one of the five classic races.
- 2nd June, 2023, Epsom Derby: Another classic here, and one whose riches dwarf even the mighty Ayr Gold Cup with a purse of £1,604,000 for 2022. All that money brings together the finest three-year-old colts and fillies to battle it out over a mile and four furlongs. If you love the Ayr Gold Cup but want something with a little more distance, this could be a perfect fit.
- 10th September, 2022 St Leger Stakes: We move to the north of England now at the historic Doncaster racecourse. St Leger Stakes adds another mile to Ayr Gold Cup′s six furlong sprint, and is the last of the five British classics.
Upcoming Sporting Events
Ayr Gold Cup Betting FAQs
It takes place at Ayr Racecourse in Ayrshire Scotland.
The maximum number of participants is 27, however, the exact number depends on who qualifies.
The race is six furlongs, which is 1,207 metres long.
It is a flat handicap race open to thoroughbreds at the of three or older, the track is straight with a turf surface.
The Ayr Gold Cup is held on the last day of the Ayr Gold Cup festival, three days of world class racing action featuring the best Scotland and the world has to offer. It includes multiple races, ladies’ day, and is a great celebration of the sport of kings.
In 2022, the Ayr Gold Cup is set to take place at 15.05 on Saturday the 17th of September.
ThePuntersPage Final Say
The Ayr Gold Cup is here to be enjoyed by all kinds of horse racing betting fans. It features the finest sprinters in Scotland and you needn’t be an expert to get involved. The only thing to really consider is the impact of it being a handicap race, which helps even out the field. If you keep that in mind when crafting a strategy, you’ll be able to make a smart and hopefully successful bet.
In addition, it’s easy to make the most of that wager by going for any of our top picks for Ayr Gold Cup best betting sites, each and every one of them providing an exceptional betting experience for a truly special race.