The July Cup and its associated Newmarket festival comprise one of the biggest events in the British horse-racing calendar. If you are interested in betting on this major contest, then you will need to be as well-informed as possible. Read our in-depth guide for tips, FAQs, odds and more!
- Tournament Schedule for Darley July Cup Day
- Top Table – Best Betting Sites for July Cup Newmarket Betting
- July Cup Newmarket Odds, Betting Tips, Promotions & Predictions
- 5 Reasons to Bet on July Cup Newmarket
- Betting Sites with July Cup Newmarket Live Streaming
- Popular July Cup Betting Markets
- History of the July Cup
- Similar Tournaments to July Cup Newmarket
- Upcoming Sporting Events
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
Tournament Schedule for Darley July Cup Day
The below is the schedule for July 9th:
- 1:30 pm will see the Maiden Stakes for the Rossdales British EBF Fillies (distance: 7f)
- 2:05 pm follows this with the Handicap Stakes for the Bedford Lodge Fillies (distance: 7f)
- 2:40 pm is the bet365 Mile Handicap (distance: 8f)
- 3:15 pm follows the previous event with the bet365 Superlative Stakes (distance: 7f)
- 3:50 pm is the bet365 Bunbury Cup (Heritage Handicap), the last race before the main event (distance: 7f)
- 4:25 pm is the time of the Darley July Cup (distance: 6f)
- 5:00 pm is the final event of the tournament, the Handicap Stakes (distance: 12f)
Top Table – Best Betting Sites for July Cup Newmarket Betting
18+ New UK customers only. Register using the promo code WELCOME40, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £30 in Free Bets and £10 in Free Spins (50x20p) credited within 10 hours of bet settlement. Free Bet stakes are not included in any returns. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required. Full T&Cs apply. Bet Responsibly. BeGambleAware.org #ad
18+. New customers using Promo code R30 only. Min £10 stake, min odds ½, free bets paid as 3x £10, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment methods/player/country restrictions apply. Full T&Cs apply. Bet Responsibly. BeGambleAware.org #ad
July Cup Newmarket Odds, Betting Tips, Promotions & Predictions
If you are planning to place a bet on any of the horse racing events taking place during the July Cup, then you will want to be as well-informed as possible to ensure that you don't make a bad bet. Why not take a look at our 2022 race cards and results before placing your bet? Here is some useful information that you can take into account before you pick your horse.
July Cup Newmarket Betting Odds 2022
July Cup Newmarket Betting Tips & Predictions 2022
Placing your bets on any racing event can be intimidating, but a seasoned observer will know which factors to take into account. Here are some good tips to keep in mind:
- When you are choosing a horse to back, it will be a good idea to look at its course pedigree. Currently, Ascot horses are a good bet: no fewer than 14 July Cup winners are horses that ran at Ascot in their previous outing. Bear in mind that the July Cup course is flat, and so the flats of Ascot make a good comparison point.
- The sex of the horse is another potential consideration. However, the statistics make it unclear as to whether this is worth taking into account. The July Cup has had 18 of its 269 male runners (6.7%) win versus two of its 23 female runners (8.7%). So, while female runners have a marginally higher percentage, the drastically different rations make it hard to accurately compare the two.
- One horse to keep an eye on at the July Cup is Naval Crown, which recently scored a surprise 22-1 victory alongside jockey James Doyle at the Royal Ascot 2022, adding to the excitement of the Platinum Jubilee Stakes. Creative Force came second in that contest, reversing their positions at the previous season's Jersey Stakes at the Royal meeting when Naval Crown came second to Creative Force.
- However, as both horses will be competing in the July Cup, so there is still room for Creative Force to win back the top spot. Note that the July Cup takes place on a six-furlong course, a length that both Naval Crown and Creative Force have shown themselves capable of handling at Ascot.
- While Naval Crown and Creative Force are getting a lot of attention, we should not lose sight of the other horses at the July Festival Newmarket. Perfect Power is one to keep an eye on. Having already run in eight flat turf races and won six of them, this horse is something of a rising star.
July Cup Newmarket Betting Promotions 2022
If you are interested in betting on the July Cup, then you might like to know which betting services have promotions for you to take advantage of.
Here are some of the best bookies for horse racing:
- Horse racing betting at bet365: <a href="https://www.bet365.com/promotions/en/horse-racing/itv-racing-4-to-1-offer?style=V8&
- platformid=1″ target=”_blank” rel=”noopener noreferrer”>bet365 is partnered with ITV to offer <a href="https://www.bet365.com/promotions/en/horse-racing/price-promise?style=V8&
- platformid=1″ target=”_blank” rel=”noopener noreferrer”>promotions for horse racing events broadcast live on ITV — including the July Cup.
- Horse racing betting at Paddy Power: Paddy Power offers a £10 refund on one losing bet for all of its newcomers, this applies to horse racing bets as well as other sports.
- Horse racing betting at William Hill: Finally, William Hill gives its new members £30 in free bets in return for making a £10 bet, which again applies to multiple sports, including horse racing.
5 Reasons to Bet on July Cup Newmarket
- Range of betting options: 51 hopefuls are lined up to try their luck at the July Cup, so you will be spoilt for choice.
- Flat course: as a six-furlong flat, the July Cup is a test of running ability with comparatively little room for surprises.
- Variety of bookies: an event like the July Cup is covered by many big-name bookies, a lot of them with bonuses and promotions on offer.
- Availability of odds: horse racing is a closely-watched sport, so there is plenty of available data to help you make an informed choice.
- Sheer thrill: with countless eyes on the same event, the excitement of waiting for the winner is hard to beat.
Betting Sites with July Cup Newmarket Live Streaming
If you would like to stream the July Cup live online, here is a list of the best booking websites that allow you to do so:
Popular July Cup Betting Markets
Here is a quick rundown of the betting markets that will be relevant to the July Cup. For more information on which sites have which markets, see our betting guide:
This is the most straightforward betting market, as you will be simply betting on the horse you think will win. Any betting service will provide this option.
Each-way betting is comparatively flexible, as your chosen horse will not necessarily need to finish in the first place: you can still win even if the horse is a place or two away from the top spot. The exact level of flexibility will vary between betting services.
A double bet is a bet on two different events, which will require your prediction to be correct in both events. It toughens the odds but raises your potential winnings.
In a forecast bet, you will predict not only the winner but also the runner-up. The top two horses will need to match your choices exactly for you to win.
This is a looser version of the forecast bet. You will still be predicting the top two horses, but you will not need to predict the exact order.
History of the July Cup
The July Cup was inaugurated in 1876, making it a venerable event indeed. Its first running was won by a horse named Springfield, who also succeeded in winning the second running. The July Cup finally succeeded in being granted Group 1 status in 1978, a little over a century after it was first held.
Recent July Cup Winners
|2021||Starman||Tom Marquand||Ed Walker|
|2020||Oxted||Cieren Fallon||Roger Teal|
|2019||Ten Sovereigns||Ryan Moore||Aidan O'Brien|
|2018||U S Navy Flag||Ryan Moore||Aidan O'Brien|
|2017||Harry Angel||Adam Kirby||Clive Cox|
|2016||Limato||Harry Bentley||Henry Candy|
|2015||Muhaarar||Paul Hanagan||Charlie Hills|
|2014||Slade Power||Wayne Lordan||Edward Lynam|
|2013||Lethal Force||Adam Kirby||Clive Cox|
|2012||Mayson||Paul Hanagan||Richard Fahey|
July Cup Newmarket Key Stats
- Overall purse: £600,000
- First-place prize: £340,260
- Age of accepted horses: three years and older
- Most competitive market: 2013, with an over-round of 117%
- Countries with most winners: Great Britain (15 winners), Ireland (4 winners)
Similar Tournaments to July Cup Newmarket
- April 2 2022, Scottish Grand National: With a name synonymous with UK horse racing, the Scottish Grand National needs little introduction. With seven furlongs, 27 fences and an entry requirement of more mature horses of five years or older, this is a formidable contest indeed.
- 30 April 2022, The Guineas Festival: This occurs at Rowley Mile in Newmarket and is split into the 2000 and 1000 races, each of which is a major event for British jockeys.
- 4 June 2022, Epsom Derby: One of the so-called “Five Classics”, the Epsom Derby is held at the Epsom Downs racecourse and confronts contestants with a flat run over a mile and a half.
- 26-30 July 2022, Goodwood Festival: A five-day festival with three races to enjoy. Make no mistake that the annual Goodwood Festival is one of the biggest occurrences on the British horse racing calendar.
- September 10 2022, St Leger Stakes Horse Racing: The St Leger Stakes event is seen as the tail-end of the yearly horse-racing season in Britain, coming as it does in Autumn. The race itself is a flat event that takes place at the Doncaster Racecourse.
Upcoming Sporting Events
July Cup Newmarket Betting FAQs
The festival will include roaming music across all three days, a “Ladies Day” on 7 July that includes Style Awards, and children's entertainment on the day of the July Cup.
The event will be broadcast live as part of ITV Racing.
We can recommend bet365, Betfred and William Hill as bookies.
The race is held over six furlongs (1,200 metres).
ThePuntersPage Final Say
This wraps up our coverage of the July Cup Newmarket, one of the most prestigious events in British horse racing. We hope that we have answered all of the questions that you might have and helped you to ensure that your bets are well-informed. Remember to keep a close eye on the racecards come race day!