The Coppa Italia is Italy’s premier cup competition in which the 44 highest-ranked Italian clubs compete for domestic glory every season. It’s Italy’s answer to the FA Cup and to learn more about it, be sure to check out our in-depth guide to the competition below!
- Coppa Italia – Top Recommended Betting Sites
- Coppa Italia – Top 5 Best Betting Sites
- Coppa Italia 2022/23 Odds, Betting Tips & Predictions
- Strategic Coppa Italia Betting Tips
- Popular Coppa Italia Betting Markets
- How Does the Coppa Italia Work?
- History of the Coppa Italia
- Past Winners of the Coppa Italia
- Who’s Won the Coppa Italia the Most?
- All-Time Leading Coppa Italia Goal Scorers
- Coppa Italia FAQs
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ Min deposit requirement. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits and are available for use upon settlement of bets to value of qualifying deposit. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first 5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4x 5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. No cashout, restrictions + Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
New customer offer. Place 5 x £10or more bets to receive £20in free bets. Repeat up to 5 times to receive maximum £100bonus. Min odds 1/2 (1.5). Exchange bets excluded. Payment restrictions apply. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply. See full terms below. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New customers only. Place your FIRST bet on any sportsbook market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £20. Only deposits made using cards or Apple Pay will qualify for this promotion. T&Cs apply. Paddy's Rewards Club: Get a £10 free bet when you place 5x bets of £10+. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
Coppa Italia – Top 5 Best Betting Sites
#4 William Hill
#5 Paddy Power
Coppa Italia 2022/23 Odds, Betting Tips & Predictions
We will be sharing the best Coppa Italia odds and predictions once the tournament gets underway for the 2022/23 season.
Strategic Coppa Italia Betting Tips
The Coppa Italia is unlike several other cup competitions across Europe in that it serves to benefit Italy’s best team. The seeded system ensures upsets are harder to come by, and the bookmaker’s favourites typically enter the latter stages of the competition.
Thus, conjuring up tips for Coppa Italia betting is rather tricky, but here are four that could come in handy.
- 01BACK One of the favouritesThe seeded nature of the Coppa Italia favours Italy′s best teams and it′s very likely that one of the bookie’s favourites will win the competition. The cup has been lifted by one of Italy′s "Seven Sisters" – a tag given to the seven best teams in Serie A during the golden era of the league at the end of 1990s (Parma have since been surpassed by Napoli) - every year since 1998. The last team to break the mould was Vicenza in 1997. Overall, the Coppa Italia is not a cup competition built for underdogs.
- 02Watch italian footballFor UK punters, Serie A football is accessible via BT Sport. Almost every match is broadcasted live, which gives you a brilliant opportunity to broaden your knowledge of calcio.
- 03SHOP AROUND FOR THE BEST coppa italia BETTING ODDSAdmittedly, Coppa Italia betting is not the most popular football betting option, nor is it widely available among bookmakers. The early rounds can easily slip by, while the latter stages of the competition are innocuously held in midweek. Thus, these matches are hardly well-advertised on betting sites with bookmakers typically offering a rather basic selection of markets. Thus, it is worth scanning a variety of bookies to see which ones offer an array of Coppa Italia markets as well as the best odds. We have listed some of the best Coppa Italia bookmakers above.
- 04Look out for any coppa italia betting offersCoppa Italia offers are hard to come by, which means you must do your research. Bookmakers such as bet365 and Paddy Power will offer boosted odds on random markets in the more significant matches of the cup competition. Finding and taking advantage of such offers will undoubtedly increase the likelihood of you making profit from betting on the Coppa Italia.
Popular Coppa Italia Betting Markets
The Coppa Italia isn’t as prominent among UK bookmakers compared to other cup competitions such as the FA Cup. Nevertheless, Italy’s premier cup competition rolls around – especially the latter stages – there are several markets for punters to access. Here’s a few Coppa Italia betting options worth taking advantage of.
How Does the Coppa Italia Work?
The Coppa Italia is fairly unique in that the draw for the entire competition is made before a ball is kicked. Teams from Italy’s top-three tiers are involved, although just four teams from Serie C make up the 44 competing outfits every season.
The competition kicks off early in the campaign with the preliminary round consisting of the four Serie A clubs and four of the lowest ranked Serie B sides.
The remaining Serie B sides enter in the first round, and they’re joined by the 12-lowest ranked Serie A clubs.
The remaining Serie A sides (typically those competing in Europe)don’t join the Coppa Italia until the round of 16 (third round) stage.
The round of 16 and quarter-final matches are played in quick succession in the new year, as is the first leg of both semi-final ties. The second legs are played a couple of months later in April before the showpiece event takes place in May.
The final, which has been held across various venues, now takes place at the Stadio Olimpico in Rome and has been a one-legged affair since the 2007/08 season.
From the 2022/23 campaign, there will be no away goals rule in the two-legged semi-final stage.
History of the Coppa Italia
- The Coppa Italia had a complex inception. In 1921, when the tournament was first set-up, the Italian championship was divided into two groups – the CCI Championship and FIGC Championship. This meant that the organisation of the cup competition was tricky and just three were held between 1922 and 1936.
- FC Vado, who now compete in Serie D, were the first winners of the Coppa Italia in 1922 as they beat Udinese 1-0 in the final.
- World War II brought further disruption, and it was not until 1958 when the competition was held again. Since then, though, the Coppa Italia has been held every year.
- Juventus are the most successful side in the competition, lifting the trophy 14 times. Since their first victory in 1938, the Bianconeri have won the Coppa Italia in every decade bar the 2000s.
- Juve, though, were on the losing side in the most recent final as Inter Milan claimed their eighth Coppa Italia crown in a thrilling 4-2 victory after extra-time. It was a stellar final, arguably the best since it became a one-legged contest in 2008.
- Unfortunately, the Coppa Italia does not boast the magic of the FA Cup and is more comparable to England′s League Cup. With the very best teams Italy has to offer not entering until the round of 16, the chances of a lowly seeded side pulling off a miraculous upset against superior opposition are slim.
- It is a competition bereft of emotion, and one catered for Serie A′s best. As a result, memorable upsets and fairy tale journeys are tough to come by, especially in the modern era.
Past Winners of the Coppa Italia
Here are all the winners of the Coppa Italia in the 21st century:
Who’s Won the Coppa Italia the Most?
|Team||Number of Titles||Winning Years|
|Juventus||14||1938, 1942, 1959, 1960, 1965, 1979, 1983, 1990, 1995, 2015-2018, 2021|
|AS Roma||9||1964, 1969, 1980, 1981, 1984, 1986, 1991, 2007, 2008|
|Inter Milan||8||1939, 1978, 1982, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2022|
|Lazio||7||1958, 1998, 2000, 2004, 2009, 2013, 2019|
|Fiorentina||6||1940, 1961, 1966, 1975, 1996, 2001|
|Napoli||6||1962, 1976, 1987, 2012, 2014, 2020|
|Torino||5||1936, 1943, 1968, 1971, 1993|
|AC Milan||5||1967, 1972, 1973, 1977, 2003|
|Sampdoria||4||1985, 1988, 1989, 1994|
|Parma||3||1992, 1999, 2002|
All-Time Leading Coppa Italia Goal Scorers
Coppa Italia Key Stats
- Alessandro Altobelli is the all-time leading scorer in the Coppa Italia. Altobelli scored 56 times in the competition while plying his trade for Brescia, Inter Milan and Juventus.
- Juventus have won the competition the most, lifting the trophy 14 times.
- Felice Evacuo is the highest-scoring current player in the Coppa Italia. The 39-year-old has scored 22 goals in 24 appearances, and he now plays in Serie C with Juve Stabia.
Coppa Italia FAQs
Yes, the competition has been held annually since 1958.
The final is now a one-legged affair after the two-legged final was ditched in 2007.
A: The final has been played across various venues throughout the competition’s history. It’s now played at the Stadio Olimpico in Rome.
Of course. Bookmakers will offer a variety of markets on almost all Coppa Italia fixtures.
ThePuntersPage Final Say
Coppa Italia betting isn’t hugely popular among football bettors. But there’s an opportunity for impressive profits to be made, especially in the outright markets. While the competition doesn’t boast the magic of the FA Cup, the quality of Italian football can’t be overlooked. It’s well worth investing some of your time into next season’s competition and having a flutter or two.