Ireland’s biggest dog race, the Irish Greyhound Derby, takes place annually at Shelbourne Park in the national capital of Dublin. Naturally a major occasion for Irish Greyhound Derby betting, this race is one of the biggest and most prestigious greyhound events of the year.
- Tournament Structure for the Irish Greyhound Derby
- Best Betting Sites for the Irish Greyhound Derby
- Best Bookies for Irish Greyhound Derby – Top 5 Ranked
- 2022 Irish Greyhound Derby Important Dates
- Irish Greyhound Derby Betting Odds 2022
- Irish Greyhound Derby Betting Tips & Predictions 2022
- 5 Reasons To Bet on The Irish Greyhound Derby
- Best Irish Greyhound Derby Betting Sites With Live Streaming
- Popular Irish Greyhound Derby Betting Markets
- History of the Irish Greyhound Derby
- Upcoming Sporting Events
- Similar Tournaments To the Irish Greyhound Derby
- Irish Greyhound Derby Betting FAQs
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
Tournament Structure for the Irish Greyhound Derby
The Irish Greyhound Derby is the most prestigious dog race on the Irish greyhound calendar, with the final staging the culmination of many rounds of races in which the final six runners must qualify for the right to run on the night. The race itself is run over a distance of 530 metres around the dog track at Shelbourne Park in Dublin and is contested by six dogs.
In 2021, it was announced that Irish bookie BoyleSports will be renewing its sponsorship of the Irish Greyhound Derby by three years. The deal comes with a three-year €1m commitment and takes the bookmaker’s sponsorship of the Derby to 10 years, with its value set to exceed €3m in total.
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New customers only. Place your FIRST bet on any sportsbook market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £20. Only deposits made using cards or Apple Pay will qualify for this promotion. T&Cs apply. Paddy's Rewards Club: Get a £10 free bet when you place 5x bets of £10+. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
*New UK customers (Excluding NI) only. Mobile only. £20 in FREE Bets (FB) as £10 in sports bets & a £10 casino bonus (CB). Min stake £10. Min odds Evs. FB applied on 1st settlement of any qualifying bet. FB 7 day expiry. 1 FB offer per customer, household & IP address only. Payment restrictions. 14 days to accept £10 CB, then active for 3 days. CB 5x wagering & max redeemable £100. Game restrictions apply. Cashed out/Free Bets won’t apply. 30 days to qualify. 18+. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
• New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit, and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative price Evens+) within 7 days of registration. • First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto, and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 48 hours of bet settlement. • Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New UK+ ROI Customers only. Deposit & Bet min £5 as first bet at minimum odds 1/2 to qualify for 1x £20 Free Bet. Certain deposit methods and bet types excluded. Free bet valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply. See full terms below. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
Best Bookies for Irish Greyhound Derby – Top 5 Ranked
#01 Paddy Power
#05 William Hill
2022 Irish Greyhound Derby Important Dates
The 2022 Irish Greyhound Derby kicks off on Friday 19th August and continues all the way through to the finals on Saturday 24th September. It takes place at Dublin’s historic Shelbourne Park and is largely considered to be Ireland’s most prestigious greyhound event. In 2021, 150 dogs took part in the race, so we expect a number close to that for 2022.
The structure of the different rounds is simple. First, a series of heats takes place to eliminate greyhounds from the competition based on their placement. The quarter-finals consist of four heats, with the top three making the 12 for the semi-finals. This then leads us to our final six, who will chase down glory over 550 yards on the fateful final Saturday of September.
Round 1: 19/08/2022 & 20/08/2022
Round 2: 26/08/2022 & 27/08/2022
Round 3: 03/09/2022
Quarter Finals: 10/09/2022
Irish Greyhound Derby Betting Odds 2022
The table below is based on the ante-post odds before the first round has taken place. Do note that there is no guarantee any of these will make the final.
Because of the number of racers in these events, different bookmakers provide odds on a spectrum of competitors. This list is of the top 15 to ensure they are consistently available across most operators covering this event. The odds represent the best value available for each market at the time of writing.
|Irish Greyhound Derby Winner||Irish Greyhound Derby Winner Odds||Bookmaker|
|Ballinabola Ed||12/1||Paddy Power|
|Explosive Boy||16/1||Paddy Power|
|The Other Kobe||25/1||BoyleSports|
Irish Greyhound Derby Betting Tips & Predictions 2022
With so many racers to choose from, it can be tricky to know where to begin. That’s why we’ve come up with a selection of early tips and predictions to help you out.
Irish Greyhound Derby Tips
There’s a lot of great betting sites offering odds on the Irish Greyhound Derby. Paddy Power and Ladbrokes, for instance, are very competitive when it comes to the favourites. However, if you look a little bit further down the odds table, you’ll find that BoyleSports frequently comes out strong, especially just below the top 12. If you were planning on going for some picks at around this odds level, they are absolutely worth paying extra attention to.
With such a broad field of options, there is no doubting that straight up picking a favourite successfully is tough. If you want to improve your chances of success, there are two easy options. One is to back more than one dog, and the other is to go for an each-way market. Selecting multiple runners is also a fantastic way of staying invested through the earlier stages of the Irish Greyhound Derby as well.
There are many fantastic betting offers which you can utilise on the Irish Greyhound Derby. And, get this - there is no need to just settle for one of them. If you wish to make numerous picks or simply get the most out of your selection, always remember you can sign up to multiple bookmaker accounts. That does not just mean a broader selection of odds, but also greater access to more bonus offers.
It might be early days to have a complete racing form of the final, but you can still do research on the top picks. Information on many of these racers are just a Google search away, even if there’s not yet an abundance of information from the bookmakers themselves. If you want to go the extra mile, we’d say this is well worth the effort.
Ultimately, no tips or predictions can ensure that your wager is successful. This is especially the case in a huge event as competitive as this. However, if you bet responsibly and focus on having fun during the Irish Greyhound Derby, then you are already a winner.
Irish Greyhound Derby Predictions
Two-year-old Ballinabola Ed, trained by P Buckley is the favourite to win by some measure at this stage. However, that does not mean more likely than not. Remember that even favourite odds of 12/1 come out to a little less than 8% probability, owing to the immense field of talent Ballinabola Ed is up against. Take last year’s favourites as an example: Ballymac Ariel and Explosive Boy. The latter came fourth in the final and the former got knocked out of the running in the semi-finals. There’s merit to the favourites, but that doesn’t mean it’s a sure thing or even likely.
Expect the unexpected is the lesson to learn from previous Irish Greyhound Derby races. For those of you betting closer to the finals, keep in mind it’s vitally important to pay attention to the heats for the best insight and latest odds. For instance, we’ve already seen One Time Only have their odds cut severely after winning the 2022 BoyleSports Champion Stakes. Things really can change that quickly. It might not make the Irish Greyhound Derby the easier event to bet on, but it does make it extra exciting.
We’re not confident enough to back English Greyhound Derby winner Romeo Magico to do the double here and win the whole thing. It’s possible, but much like Ballinabola Ed, we wouldn’t consider it overwhelmingly likely. However, we do think the first British-bred winner of the Star Sports & TRC English Greyhound Derby in eight long years should have enough to make it to the finals. We also think they would make an excellent each-way bet as Romeo Magico and trainer Graham Holland have more than proven their ability to perform at big events.
There’s a good chance that a few of the six finalists will not be among the favourites. As we’ve said, this is an event known for surprises and there’s an awful lot of unsung talent out there. This doesn’t mean we advise you to press ahead and back a random underdog, but it does mean to never count a runner out in the Irish Greyhound Derby.
Trained by Pete Cronin, Kildare has become a young prospect people have learned not to underestimate. With 100/1 odds, Kildare shocked many by finishing third in the Con and Annie Kirby memorial after showcasing fantastic form in the quarter and semi-finals. No doubt the then untested greyhound earned a few each-way backers a pretty penny with that shock performance. And considering they have finished first or second in their last seven outings, we’d say that Kildare winning the lot here wouldn’t astonish us. Perhaps that’s not exceptionally likely, but they’re certainly worth considering for an each-way wager. And in any case, they are one to watch for greyhound fans as a potential history maker here.
Irish Greyhound Derby Promotions 2022
When it comes to sports betting promotions, greyhound racing markets, alongside horse racing betting, is consistently among the greatest beneficiaries.
While there may some great promotions exclusive to this event as we get closer to the finals, there really is no need to wait. Best Odds Guaranteed and enhanced odds offers provide a foundation of promotional bounties, while free bet bonuses are commonly available for all kinds of racing events.
If you want to take advantage of the offers available right now, you’ll have a huge number of options available to you, especially if you take advantage of multiple bookmakers. Here’s a few examples:
- There is a £10 free bet to collect for newcomers to Novibet, which would be useful for Irish Greyhound Derby betting.
- For an extra chance of winning, Paddy Power provides a cashback offer if you bet and lose £10 on your first bet. This is available on any sports markets, and with so few promotions offering real cash bonuses, it is something seriously special.
- As far as welcome offers go, bet365 might be one of the most generous out there, offering £50 in free bets for a tenner deposit.
- Looking for boosted odds? It is always worth checking out the price boosts and super boost promotions at Unibet.
5 Reasons To Bet on The Irish Greyhound Derby
While there can be no doubt that the Irish Greyhound Derby is one of the most important events in the racing calendar, there’s also an abundance of betting options all year round. So, what specifically makes this such a great race to bet on? Here’s 5 key reasons we think it’s worth your while.
- 01Odds are incredibly competitiveDid you know that the more interest an event has from bookmakers the better it is for you? The reason is simple. If there is a lot of competition, there is more pressure on operators to provide the best deal possible. And with the biggest dog race in Ireland, you know that is exactly what you are going to get so long as you utilise a quality bookie.
- 02It’s great entertainmentWe should never lose sight of the fact that the reason we bet on sports is to have fun. And there is arguably no race more entertaining than the Irish Greyhound Derby. With the finest runners, huge prizes money, and top trainers, you are in for a great show no matter who wins.
- 03Ideal for newcomers and experts alikeOne of the things we love most about racing is that it has mass appeal - not just as an event for spectators, but also as a betting venture. You can be a total newcomer and know enough to pick a selection you think will place or win. Racing as a concept is so simple that anyone can get involved. At this same time, this is a sport with an immense amount of depth. If you have a betting strategy that works, this is the place to utilise it. You can be as casual or as in-depth as you like, and still have a great time - few events can boast that.
- 04Broad availabilityWe always recommend seeking out the best odds, promotions, and bookmakers. That said, if you are with a reputable sports bookie, not only should this event be available, but it should be available with a broad and early selection of markets.
- 05People will be watching from around the worldEveryone coming together to enjoy a big sporting event is part of makes these occasions so important. It is something you can chat about the next day at work, a reason to get together and have a good time. Placing a bet simply adds to the fun.
Best Irish Greyhound Derby Betting Sites With Live Streaming
- Paddy Power
- William Hill
Popular Irish Greyhound Derby Betting Markets
Dog racing is an extremely popular pastime in Ireland, more so even than in England. Of course, the Irish still enjoy betting on football and rugby as well as being one of the hubs for international horse racing, but there is something about betting on the dogs that really gets Irish blood pumping. As one of the biggest occasions for Irish bookmakers, you'll be glad to know that there is no shortage of fantastic Irish Greyhound Derby betting opportunities, some of which we have listed below.
To Win Outright Betting
A bet to win outright is nothing more complicated than to bet on the winning dog. In greyhound racing, punters normally bet by naming the dog’s trap number, although names will also be accepted.
Best Irish Greyhound Derby betting site for Outright Winner: 888sport
Forecast betting is where bettors make a prediction on the first two dogs to finish the race – that is to say, the winning dog and the runner up. Note: the bet can only pay out if the punter has also predicted the correct finishing order. If they wish to, punters can double their stake and place a reverse forecast, which means that the same two dogs can finish in the top two places in any order.
Best Irish Greyhound Derby betting site for forecast bets: Betfair
Like the forecast, a tricast is a finishers bet; only this time, it is on the first three dogs, rather than just the two. Again, getting the order right is critical to the bet paying out, but the odds are greater than the forecast as you need to correctly guess the finishing positions of three dogs instead of just two.
Best Irish Greyhound Derby betting site for tricast betting: NetBet
Each-Way Tricast Betting
With an each-way tricast, punters can, for an increased stake, bet on the first three dogs to cross the finishing line in any order whatsoever. When you place a bet for an each-way tricast, you will be charged six times the original stake for each potential outcome.
Best Irish Greyhound Derby betting site for each-way tricast betting: SportingBet
History of the Irish Greyhound Derby
Greyhound racing is very popular in Ireland, and the race's inaugural run took place at Harold's Cross in 1928; however, it wasn’t recognised officially until 1932. Back then, the race was known in Ireland as the National Derby, and the first ever winner was Tipperary Hills. When the race was made official, it was moved to Shelbourne Park before the run was held alternately between both venues.
The race has also gone off at Cork Greyhound Stadium and Markets Field Greyhound Stadium in Limerick, both of which are closed today, and by 1969, it was held at Harold's Cross for the final time. During the Covid pandemic, we nearly didn’t get any Irish Greyhound Derby 2020 results but fortunately, save for being staged behind closed doors, this event was largely unaffected.
Recent Irish Greyhound Derby Winners
|2021||Susie Sapphire||Owen McKenna|
|2020||Newinn Taylor||Graham Holland|
|2019||Lenson Bocko||Graham Holland|
|2018||Ballyanne Sim||James Robinson|
|2017||Good News||Patrick Guilfoyle|
|2016||Rural Hawaii||Graham Holland|
|2015||Ballymac Matt||Liam Dowling|
|2014||Laughil Blake||Michael O'Donovan|
|2013||Slippery Robert||Robert Gleeson|
|2012||Skywalker Puma||Frances O'Donnell|
|2011||Razldazl George||Dolores Ruth|
Irish Greyhound Derby Key Stats
- Three-time winner Spanish Battleship is the most successful greyhound to date.
- The fastest time ever set at Shelbourne over this distance was set on the 22nd of August 2020, when Pestana clocked 28.99 around the track.
- Since 1968, the race has been staged at Shelbourne Park, in Dublin.
Upcoming Sporting Events
Similar Tournaments To the Irish Greyhound Derby
- English Greyhound Derby: England′s premier greyhound race, which usually takes place in June each year.
- Scottish Greyhound Derby: The main dog race held in Scotland, which takes place each year not far from Glasgow.
- Select Stakes: A Group One race in which the dogs are all selected by a panel and which is run in January or February annually.
Irish Greyhound Derby Betting FAQs
The event will be broadcast by At The Races.
The prize pool is €300,000, with €20,000 allocated for the winner.
The race is run over 503 metres.
The race takes place at Shelbourne Park, Dublin.
Yes, but there are only six runners, so odds are often short.
ThePuntersPage Final Say
Alongside the English Greyhound Derby and the Scottish Greyhound Derby, the Irish Greyhound Derby is ranked as one of the biggest and best events of its kind. Punters everywhere head over to their favourite bookie or wait tentatively in front of their screens to enjoy Irish Greyhound Derby betting online. The event is considered to be the pinnacle of Irish dog racing, and is an occasion not to be missed.