The English Greyhound Derby is a Category 1 dog race in the UK, commonly referred to as the ‘blue riband' of the sport. The event marks the climax of six rounds of preliminary races and goes off over 500 metres at the Towcester Greyhound Stadium every July.
- Best Bookies for English Greyhound Derby Betting
- Best Bookies for English Greyhound Derby – Top 5 Ranked
- English Greyhound Derby Betting Odds, Promotions, Tips & Predictions
- 5 Reasons to Bet on the English Greyhound Derby
- English Greyhound Derby Betting Sites With Live Streaming
- Popular English Greyhound Derby Betting Markets
- Tournament Structure for the English Greyhound Derby
- History of the English Greyhound Derby
- Similar Tournaments to the English Greyhound Derby
- Upcoming Sporting Events
- English Greyhound Derby Betting FAQs
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply. See full terms below. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first 5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4x 5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. No cashout, restrictions + Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ Min deposit requirement. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits and are available for use upon settlement of bets to value of qualifying deposit. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
• New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit, and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative price Evens+) within 7 days of registration. • First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto, and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 48 hours of bet settlement. • Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first bet loses. Wagering requirements: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Unless forfeited the sportsbook bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in. No deposit required for NI customers. Call 08081699314 to claim. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
Best Bookies for English Greyhound Derby – Top 5 Ranked
#01 William Hill
English Greyhound Derby Betting Odds, Promotions, Tips & Predictions
The English Greyhound Derby 2022 dates are:
- 1st Round: 19/20/21st May
- 2nd Round: 27/28th May
- 3rd Round: 4th June
- Quarters: 11th June
- Semis: 18th June
- Final: 25th June
English Greyhound Derby Betting Odds 2022
|Thorn Falcon||14/1||William Hill|
|Singalong Sally||33/1||Bet Victor|
|Wide Open||33/1||Paddy Power|
|Havana Bale Out||50/1||Ladbrokes|
English Greyhound Derby Betting Tips & Predictions 2022
Following a longlist of 211 entries, the English Greyhound has now been whittled down to 192, setting the stage for a thrilling six-week odyssey. The field will feature 106 railers, 55 middle seeds and 31 wide seeds, who will all be hoping to get their hands on the whopping £175,000 cash prize.
During the first round heats – if we are to take a wider view of the competition – everyone will be looking to gun down reigning champion Thorn Falcon. Towcester has been like a home from home for Thorn Falcon, and while he wore the cloak of invincibility in the run-up to the competition 12 months ago – which included an unbeaten campaign in the Maiden Derby – he has slipped off the pace lately.
Nevertheless, Patrick Janssens’ dog is valued at the 14/1 with most bookmakers, and he will be looking to justify that price. Janssen has nine entries in the competition this year, with Thorn Falcon probably representing his best chance of glory.
However, this could be the time when Part Blake comes good. With most bookmakers, he’s lurking in the wings just behind Thorn Falcon at the 16/1 mark. The son of Irish Derby winner, Laughil Blake, Part Blake has plenty of potential and was a finalist at the Irish St Leger.
He may well like the look of his draw for the first round; apart from the fact that he will be up against Romero Magico. No first round heat is a guarantee, but Part Blake should have few problems in the early rounds, and he could come up trumps.
If you are looking for value elsewhere, then you might be tempted by Bobsleigh Dream. Trained by Pat Buckley, Bobsleigh Dream finished first at Towcester earlier this month. To a certain extent, she has slipped under the radar, but now she has a chance to shine. Currently priced at the 40/1 mark, she could throw up a few surprises.
English Greyhound Derby Betting Promotions 2022
- New customers can pick up a bet £5 get £20 welcome offer at Ladbrokes to enjoy with their correct Ladbrokes greyhound results.
- There is another great promotion for punters to enjoy at Betfair, where newcomers can claim up to £100 in free bets.
5 Reasons to Bet on the English Greyhound Derby
- It is the biggest race in English Greyhound Racing.
- The race attracts the leading British and Irish greyhounds.
- It is 97 years old.
- A host of legendary trainers will be involved.
- It is considered to be the blue riband of greyhound racing
English Greyhound Derby Betting Sites With Live Streaming
- William Hill
Popular English Greyhound Derby Betting Markets
Greyhound racing does not provide quite as many betting opportunities as other sports, but what it lacks in variety it more than makes up for in excitement. After all, how many sports see their results come in a mere matter of seconds after they start? Below, we have listed some of the more obvious, and consequently popular, ways to bet on English greyhound racing.
To Win the Race
This is a rather obvious single bet on the winner of the race – in this case, the English Greyhound Derby. The bet itself works in exactly the same way as in horse racing, wherein you simply predict the dog you think will win and place your stake accordingly.
In order for your wager to be successful, your dog must be the first dog to cross the finish line. Remember that many dog races go to a photo finish or dead heat, so don’t be surprised if this happens to you. In addition, always remember that the track stewards’ decision is final.
Best English Greyhound Derby betting site for To Win the Race: Paddy Power
Forecast bets require you to successfully predict the first two greyhounds to come in in that exact order. For example, if you pick trap 6 to win and trap 3 to come second, then they must finish in that exact order. Anything else will be deemed a losing bet. Punters can also double their stake and place a reverse forecast, which allows the same two dogs to win and come second but in any order, which provides a little bit of breathing room for your bet.
Best English Greyhound Derby betting site for forecasts: Mr Green
A tricast bet is just like a forecast bet, except that it pays more because you are picking the first three dogs to cross the finish line. Therefore, to win a tricast bet on traps 6, 3, and 4, for instance, those three dogs must finish in that precise order for you to get a payout.
Best English Greyhound Derby betting site for tricasts: Betfair
Each-Way (Combination) Tricast Betting
Each-way or combination tricasts are a little similar to reverse forecasts, except that as there are now three dogs in the bet, the permutations are greater. A combination tricast consists of six bets that allow for the same three dogs to finish 1st, 2nd and 3rd in any order. Naturally, this bet costs six times more than a straight tricast.
Best English Greyhound Derby betting site for combination tricasts: bwin
Tournament Structure for the English Greyhound Derby
The English Greyhound Derby race is run at Towcester Greyhound Stadium over 500 metres, and is the result of five rounds of preliminary qualifiers prior to the final. Dogs are eliminated from participation along the way, while others – those that place or win – progress onto the next stage of the competition. By the final, only the most worthy four-benders will line up in the tracks for that year’s English Greyhound Derby.
The race is held at the Towcester Greyhound Stadium, a greyhound racing track that is part of Towcester Racecourse at Towcester in Northamptonshire. The dogs line up in traps one through six in coloured bibs which denote their starting cage, known as a trap. The colours are as follows: trap one is red, trap two is blue, trap three is white, trap four is black, trap five is orange, and trap six has black-and-white stripes. The race, which is usually attended by around 3,000 spectators, carries a £175,000 prize purse.
History of the English Greyhound Derby
Recent English Greyhound Derby Winners
|2021||Thorn Falcon||Patrick Janssens|
|2020||Deerjet Sydney||Pat Buckley|
|2019||Priceless Blake||Paul Hennessy|
|2018||Dorotas Wildcat||Kevin Hutton|
|2017||Astute Missile||Seamus Cahill|
|2016||Jaytee Jet||Paul Hennessy|
|2015||Rio Quattro||Danny Riordan|
|2014||Salad Dodger||Bruno Berwick|
|2013||Sidaz Jack||Charlie Lister OBE|
|2012||Blonde Snapper||Mark Wallis|
|2011||Taylors Sky||Charlie Lister OBE|
English Greyhound Derby Key Stats
- Charlie Lister OBE holds the record as the most successful trainer at the Derby, having won it on a record seven occasions.
- Only four greyhounds have won the event twice: Patricia’s Hope, Rapid Ranger, Westmead Hawk and Mick the Miller, who was the first to do so.
- The most successful trap in the English Greyhound Derby is Trap 2, while the most recent multi-time winning trainer is Paul Hennessy.
- In 2011, Taylors Sky set a track record time at Wimbledon of 28.17 seconds.
Similar Tournaments to the English Greyhound Derby
- 11th June 2022, Scottish Greyhound Derby: Originally run in 1928, this race boasts a prize of £20,000 and is today contested at the Shawfield Stadium in Rutherglen, South Lanarkshire.
- 15th September 2022, East Anglian Cup: Raced over 462 metres and paying £15,000 to the winner, the field here is often made up of runners from the Greyhound Derby.
- 17th September 2022, Irish Greyhound Derby: This is raced every year at Dublin’s Shelbourne Park and is one of the most prestigious greyhound races on the calendar.
Upcoming Sporting Events
English Greyhound Derby Betting FAQs
The English Greyhound Derby can be watched live on Sky Sports.
The race is held at Towcester Greyhound Stadium in Northamptonshire, UK.
The race is run over 500 metres.
The race currently has a prize fund of £175,000.
ThePuntersPage Final Say
The so-called ‘blue riband' of British dog racing, the English Greyhound Derby has been running for more than 90 years since its inauguration in 1927.
Today, it is the biggest and most prestigious greyhound race in the United Kingdom, offering up a winner’s cheque of £175,000. This makes it the second richest greyhound race in the world after the less illustrious Melbourne Cup, which pays £350,000.
Dogs from all over the UK and Ireland compete in this race, meaning that English Greyhound Derby 2022 betting is set to be one of the biggest betting events in the entire British sporting calendar this year – and every year, for that matter!