Many punters have their eyes fixed on English Greyhound Derby betting when the final rolls around every July. A Category 1 UK dog race, this event marks the climax of five preliminary previous rounds and goes off over 500 metres at the Towcester Greyhound Stadium. For the latest odds, tips, and predictions, check out our detailed guide below!
- Event Structure for the English Greyhound Derby
- Greyhound Derby Betting Odds, Promotions, Tips & Predictions
- 5 Reasons to Bet on the English Greyhound Derby
- English Greyhound Derby Betting Sites With Livestreaming
- Popular English Greyhound Derby Betting Markets
- History of the English Greyhound Derby
- Similar Tournaments to the English Greyhound Derby
- Upcoming Sporting Events
- English Greyhound Derby Betting FAQs
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
Best Bookies for English Greyhound Derby Betting
18+ New UK customers only. Register using the promo code WELCOME40, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £30 in Free Bets and £10 in Free Spins (50x20p) credited within 10 hours of bet settlement. Free Bet stakes are not included in any returns. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required. Full T&Cs apply. Bet Responsibly. BeGambleAware.org #ad
18+ New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first bet loses. Wagering requirements: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Unless forfeited the sportsbook bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in. No deposit required for NI customers. Call 08081699314 to claim. Full T&Cs apply. Bet Responsibly. BeGambleAware.org #ad
18+ New UK customers (Excluding NI) only. £20 in FREE Bets (FB) as £10 in sports bets & a £10 casino bonus (CB). Min Deposit £10. Min stake £10. Min odds Evs. FB applied on 1st settlement of any qualifying bet. FB 7-day expiry. 1 FB offer per customer, household & IP address only. Account & Payment restrictions. 14 days to accept £10 CB, then active for 3 days. CB 5x wagering & max redeemable £100. Game restrictions apply. Cashed out/Free Bets won’t apply. 30 days to qualify. Full T&Cs apply. Bet Responsibly. BeGambleAware.org #ad
18+ Min Deposit: £5. Maximum Free Bet: £30. First bet on a Football or Horse Racing multiple with 3+ selections. Overall odds: 3.00 (2/1) or higher. Free Bets available upon settlement of the qualifying bet. This is offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered. 50 Bonus Spins credited on placement of qualifying Acca bet.50x bonus wagering applies as do weighting requirements, bonus Spins only available on selected games and expires 7 days after being awarded. Debit card deposits only (exclusions apply). Full T&Cs apply. Bet Responsibly. BeGambleAware.org #ad
18+. New customers using Promo code R30 only. Min £10 stake, min odds ½, free bets paid as 3x £10, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment methods/player/country restrictions apply. Full T&Cs apply. Bet Responsibly. BeGambleAware.org #ad
Event Structure for the English Greyhound Derby
The English Greyhound Derby race is run at Towcester Greyhound Stadium over 500 metres, and is the result of five rounds of preliminary qualifiers prior to the final. Dogs are eliminated from participation along the way, while others – those that place or win – progress onto the next stage of the competition. By the final, only the most worthy four-benders will line up in the tracks for that year’s Derby.
The race is held at the Towcester Greyhound Stadium, a greyhound racing track that is part of Towcester Racecourse at Towcester in Northamptonshire. The dogs line up in traps one through six in coloured bibs which denote their starting cage, known as a trap. The colours are as follows: trap one is red, trap two is blue, trap three is white, trap four is black, trap five is orange, and trap six has black-and-white stripes. The race, which is usually attended by around 3,000 spectators, carries a £175,000 purse in prize money.
Greyhound Derby Betting Odds, Promotions, Tips & Predictions
We will publish more information about the 2024 race once it is available.
English Greyhound Derby 2024 Odds
The 2023 English Greyhound Derby has passed. Check this page again closer to the 2024 event for updated odds.
Greyhound Derby Betting Tips & Predictions 2023
The 2023 English Greyhound Derby has passed. Check this page again closer to the 2024 event for updated tips and predictions.
5 Reasons to Bet on the English Greyhound Derby
- It is the biggest race in English Greyhound Racing.
- The race attracts the leading British and Irish greyhounds.
- It has been running for almost 97 years.
- The winner receives a cheque for £175,000, making it one of the largest rewards offered in global greyhound racing.
- 192 dogs are entered for the meet.
English Greyhound Derby Betting Sites With Livestreaming
- William Hill
Popular English Greyhound Derby Betting Markets
Greyhound racing does not provide quite as many betting opportunities as other sports, but what it lacks in variety it more than makes up for in excitement. After all, how many sports see their results come in a mere matter of seconds after they start? Below, we have listed some of the more obvious, and consequently popular, ways to bet on English greyhound racing.
To Win the Race
This is a rather obvious single bet on the winner of the race – in this case, the English Greyhound Derby. The bet itself works in exactly the same way as in horse racing, wherein you simply predict the dog you think will win and place your stake accordingly.
In order for your wager to be successful, your dog must be the first dog to cross the finish line. Remember that many dog races go to a photo finish or dead heat, so don’t be surprised if this happens to you. In addition, always remember that the track stewards’ decision is final.
Best English Greyhound Derby betting site for To Win the Race: Paddy Power
Forecast bets require you to successfully predict the first two greyhounds to come in in that exact order. For example, if you pick trap 6 to win and trap 3 to come second, then they must finish in that exact order. Anything else will be deemed a losing bet. Punters can also double their stake and place a reverse forecast, which allows the same two dogs to win and come second but in any order, which provides a little bit of breathing room for your bet.
Best English Greyhound Derby betting site for forecasts: Betfred
A tricast bet is just like a forecast bet, except that it pays more because you are picking the first three dogs to cross the finish line. Therefore, to win a tricast bet on traps 6, 3, and 4, for instance, those three dogs must finish in that precise order for you to get a payout.
Best English Greyhound Derby betting site for tricasts: BoyleSports
Each-Way (Combination) Tricast Betting
Each-way or combination tricasts are a little similar to reverse forecasts, except that as there are now three dogs in the bet, the permutations are greater. A combination tricast consists of six bets that allow for the same three dogs to finish 1st, 2nd and 3rd in any order. Naturally, this bet costs six times more than a straight tricast.
Best English Greyhound Derby betting site for combination tricasts: bwin
History of the English Greyhound Derby
- The English Greyhound Derby is steeped in history, with the event dating back to 1927. Originally, it was held at the White City Stadium in London, and is one of the toughest events in the greyhound racing calendar. The race stayed in West London before it was moved to Wimbledon in 1985, and the Derby was staged at Plough Lane until its doors were closed in 2016.
- Nottingham held the English Greyhound Derby in 2019 and 2020 before it was relocated to Towcester, where it has been staged since 2021. Towcester recently signed a five-year deal to stage what is arguably one of the toughest events in the greyhound racing calendar.
- In 2022, the Graham Holland-trained Romeo Magic produced a show-stopping display as he clocked up a time of 28.95 seconds to fend off the challenge of the 9/4 favourite Kildare. Although he missed the break, Romeo Magic produced a blistering turn of pace on the back straight to clinch a one-and-three-quarter length victory.
Recent English Greyhound Derby Winners
|2022||Romeo Magico||Graham Holland|
|2021||Thorn Falcon||Patrick Janssens|
|2020||Deerjet Sydney||Pat Buckley|
|2019||Priceless Blake||Paul Hennessy|
|2018||Dorotas Wildcat||Kevin Hutton|
|2017||Astute Missile||Seamus Cahill|
|2016||Jaytee Jet||Paul Hennessy|
|2015||Rio Quattro||Danny Riordan|
|2014||Salad Dodger||Bruno Berwick|
|2013||Sidaz Jack||Charlie Lister OBE|
|2012||Blonde Snapper||Mark Wallis|
|2011||Taylors Sky||Charlie Lister OBE|
English Greyhound Derby Key Stats
- Charlie Lister OBE holds the record as the most successful trainer at the Derby, having won it on a record seven occasions.
- Only four greyhounds have won the event twice: Patricia’s Hope, Rapid Ranger, Westmead Hawk, and Mick the Miller, who was the first to do so.
- Westmead Hawk was also the last dog to go through the entire competition unbeaten in 2006.
- The most successful trap in the English Greyhound Derby is Trap 2, while the most recent multi-time winning trainer is Paul Hennessy.
- In 2011, Taylors Sky set a track record time at Wimbledon of 28.17 seconds.
- Romeo Magico, the 2022 champion, produced a winning time of 28.95 seconds, the quickest since 2018.
Similar Tournaments to the English Greyhound Derby
- 2nd September 2023, Irish Greyhound Derby: This is raced every year at Dublin’s Shelbourne Park and is one of the most prestigious greyhound races on the calendar.
- TBA, 2023, East Anglian Cup: Raced over 462 metres and paying £15,000 to the winner, the field here is often made up of runners from the Greyhound Derby.
- TBA 2023, Scottish Greyhound Derby: Originally run in 1928, this race boasts a prize of £20,000 and is today contested at the Shawfield Stadium in Rutherglen, South Lanarkshire.
Upcoming Sporting Events
English Greyhound Derby Betting FAQs
The English Greyhound Derby can be watched live on Sky Sports.
The 2022 race was held at Towcester Greyhound Stadium in Northamptonshire, UK, where the 2023 edition is also set to be hosted.
The race is run over 500 metres.
The race currently has a prize fund of £175,000.
ThePuntersPage Final Say
Commonly referred to as the ‘blue riband' of the sport, the English Greyhound Derby is perceived as the biggest and most prestigious greyhound race in the United Kingdom. This highly anticipated event attracts dogs from all corners of the UK and Ireland to compete, as fans and punters eagerly anticipate the exciting races and potential upsets that lie ahead.