The Welsh Grand National is a Grade 3 ranked National Hunt steeplechase that takes place annually two days after Christmas Day on the 27th of December. It is held at Chepstow Racecourse, in the Welsh county of Monmouthshire. Just as betting on the Aintree Grand National is big business, so too is the case with Welsh Grand National betting.
- Tournament Structure for the Welsh Grand National
- Best Betting Sites for Welsh Grand National
- Best Bookies for Welsh Grand National – Top 5 Ranked
- Welsh Grand National Betting Odds, Promotions, Tips & Predictions
- 5 Reasons to Bet on the Welsh Grand National
- Welsh Grand National Betting Sites With Live Streaming
- Popular Welsh Grand National Betting Markets
- History of the Welsh Grand National
- Upcoming Sporting Events
- Similar Tournaments to the Welsh Grand National
- Welsh Grand National Betting FAQs
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
Tournament Structure for the Welsh Grand National
Held each year on the 27th of December, the Welsh Grand National is a Group Three handicap race over twenty three fences that lasts for a distance of three miles, five furlongs and 110 yards. It is run at the 95-year-old Chepstow Racecourse, which is in Monmouthshire, South Wales, just over the River Severn Bridge near the border with England at the bottom of the River Wye.
The race is open to horses at least four years old and up. A traditional part of the UK’s Christmas sporting schedule, it also carries a purse of £150,000 – £85,425 of which is set aside for first place.
Sponsored by the online bookmaker Coral, this historic event always attracts some of the finest long distance chasers in the sport of kings to Chepstow, Wales’ premier racecourse, for what is the course’s biggest fixture of the year. It marks a special occasion straight after Christmas, where the heady mix of a big crowd, a prestigious race and seasonal cheer makes it one of the biggest days in British horse racing.
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New UK+ ROI Customers only. Deposit & Bet min £5 as first bet at minimum odds 1/2 to qualify for 1x £20 Free Bet. Certain deposit methods and bet types excluded. Free bet valid for 7 days, stake not returned. Restrictions apply. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply. See full terms below. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ - Offer for new customers at bet365. Min deposit requirement. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits and are available for use upon settlement of bets to value of qualifying deposit. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
*New UK customers (Excluding NI) only. Mobile only. £20 in FREE Bets (FB) as £10 in sports bets & a £10 casino bonus (CB). Min stake £10. Min odds Evs. FB applied on 1st settlement of any qualifying bet. FB 7 day expiry. 1 FB offer per customer, household & IP address only. Payment restrictions. 14 days to accept £10 CB, then active for 3 days. CB 5x wagering & max redeemable £100. Game restrictions apply. Cashed out/Free Bets won’t apply. 30 days to qualify. 18+. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first bet loses. Wagering requirements: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Unless forfeited the sportsbook bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in. No deposit required for NI customers. Call 08081699314 to claim. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
Best Bookies for Welsh Grand National – Top 5 Ranked
#2 William Hill
Welsh Grand National Betting Odds, Promotions, Tips & Predictions
The 2021 Welsh Grand National will be taking place on Monday the 27th of December at Chepstow Racecoursein Wales, United Kingdom.
Make sure you get the latest information on Horse Racing Racecards & Results by checking our updated racecards for the day.
Welsh Grand National Betting Odds 2021
|7 Nothing To Ask||13/8||Coral|
|5 Go Sacre Go||4/1||Unibet|
|6 When You're Ready||2/1||Coral|
|Paint The Dream||9/2||Unibet|
|10 Saint Segal||6/1||bet365|
|4 Take Your Time||7/4||Ladbrokes|
|1 Al Dancer||4/1||Ladbrokes|
|11 Secret Reprieve||11/2||Coral|
|7 The Big Dog||17/2||Unibet|
|2 Imperial Alcazar||13/8||Ladbrokes|
|3 Storm Rising||11/2||Unibet|
|6 Mister Marbles||9/4||Unibet|
|9 Seventeen O Four||9/4||Coral|
|1 Alternative Fact||13/2||Coral|
*Odds are subject to change.
Welsh Grand National Betting Tips & Predictions 2021
Welsh Grand National Betting Promotions 2021
- There are many great Grand National betting offers out there, but one of the best ones around can be found at Ladbrokes. Newcomers can enjoy £20 in free bets after wagering an initial £5.
- Another terrific Welsh Grand National promotion is BoyleSports’ £20 bet bundle, which is available to new customers.
5 Reasons to Bet on the Welsh Grand National
- This is a Group Three race.
- The race carries a purse of £150,000.
- It’s a major National Hunt occasion…
- … and it provides good pointers for Cheltenham.
- It is one of the horse racing highlights of the festive season.
Welsh Grand National Betting Sites With Live Streaming
- Paddy Power
Popular Welsh Grand National Betting Markets
Like with most horse racing events, there are plenty of Welsh Grand National betting markets to wager on – perhaps even more so than usual, given the prestige of the occasion. We have listed some of the most popular below.
To Win the Welsh Grand National
With Welsh Grand National betting, one of the main ways to bet is to back the horse that you believe will win the race. It is merely a matter of picking one of the runners – either one that has been tipped or one that you believe will win – and adding your selection to the betting slip before pressing the relevant button to place your bet.
Best Welsh Grand National betting site for win betting: Coral
Forecast betting is a simple case of selecting two horses to finish the race in first and second place. The trickiest part of a bet such as this is that the order that you selected the horses in is fixed, and just getting the correct two horses home first isn’t enough. You have to get their finishing order right too. Unless, that is, you place a reverse forecast, which allows for the horses to finish first and second in either order.
Best Welsh Grand National betting site for forecasts: Ladbrokes
What the forecast does for two horses, the tricast does for three. Tricast betting on the Welsh Grand National is a matter of predicting the first three horses to pass the winners post, again in a fixed order. If you wish to place a bet that allows the same three horses to come in the front three – but in any order – then you will need to place a combination tricast. A combination tricast is six bets and requires six stakes, which is something to bear in mind.
Best Welsh Grand National betting site for tricasts: Betfair
A Trixie bet is a nice way to bet on horse racing in general and, if you include a selection from the Welsh Grand National, is a fun way to bet on this race too. For a Trixie bet, you are looking at four bets, each requiring a stake, on three different selections that combine into one final payout after each result has been determined.
The great thing about a Trixie bet, and indeed all other system bets, is that they offer potentially huge payouts for a minimum bet. Unlike with a straightforward accumulator, where you need every bet to win, such system bets can be broken down into three doubles and a treble which allows one horse to lose, and the bet still stays alive.
Best Welsh Grand National betting site for trixies: Paddy Power
History of the Welsh Grand National
- Ely Racecourse in the Welsh capital of Cardiff was the original home of the Welsh Grand National where it stayed until the track was shut for good in 1939. The race continued to take place until Ely Racecourse closed down. It was first run at Chepstow Racecourse in 1949 after a one year stop off in Caerleon in 1948. The first ever winning jockey in the Chepstow Welsh Grand National was Dick Francis on the back of Fighting Line.
- Until 1969, the race had been traditionally held on Easter Tuesday, but was moved back in the calendar to February in order to attract better quality horses. In 1979, it was held in winter holiday for the first time after the February race was abandoned due to snow on the course. The race has remained in late December since then and is today held the day after the King George VI Chase.
- In order to allow a longer chase to the first bend of the course, the distance of the race was lengthened to its present distance of three miles, five furlongs and a 110 yards. The race’s extension also allowed for a 23rd fence to be added to the track. The race’s association with the bookmaker Coral has become the running sponsorship in National Hunt racing having started in 1973. While the 2020 race was unaffected by the pandemic, it was postponed due to a frozen track and was run in early January 2021 instead.
Recent Welsh Grand National Winners
|2020||Secret Reprieve||Adam Wedge||Evan Williams|
|2019||Potters Corner||Jack Tudor||Christian Williams|
|2018||Elegant Escape||Tom O'Brien||Colin Tizzard|
|2017||Raz De Maree||James Bowen||Gavin Cromwell|
|2016||Native River||Richard Johnson||Colin Tizzard|
|2015||Mountainous||Jamie Moore||Kerry Lee|
|2014||Emperor's Choice||Aidan Coleman||Venetia Williams|
|2013||Mountainous||Paul Moloney||Richard Lee|
|2012||Monbeg Dude||Paul Carberry||Michael Scudamore|
|2011||Le Beau Bai||Charlie Poste||Richard Lee|
|2010||Synchronised||Tony McCoy||Jonjo O'Neill|
|2009||Dream Alliance||Tom O'Brien||Philip Hobbs|
|2008||Notre Pere||Andrew Lynch||Jim Dreaper|
|2007||Miko de Beauchene||Andrew Thornton||Robert Alner|
Welsh Grand National Key Stats
- The jockey and trainer David Nicholson won this race on three successive occasions in 1959, the year 1960 and also in 1961.
- With four wins, Peter Scudamore is the most successful jockey in the history of the Welsh Grand National.
- Since 1973, the Welsh Grand National has been sponsored by the UK betting company Coral in what has now become one of the longest partnerships commercially speaking in sport.
- The incredible 90’s horse Earth Summit is the only horse in history to win the Welsh Grand National, the Scottish Grand National and the (English) Grand National, known as the National Treble, during his career.
- The 2019 winner, Potters Corner, is owned by Welsh Rugby Union international Jonathan Davies.
Upcoming Sporting Events
Similar Tournaments to the Welsh Grand National
- 15 - 18 March 2022, The Cheltenham Festival betting sites: The Greatest Show on Turf features many great races, but none are more prestigious than the Cheltenham Gold Cup.
- 2nd April 2022, The Scottish Grand National: A Grade Three race run at Ayr over four miles prior to the Grand National which takes place a week later.
- 9th April 2022, The Grand National: A National Hunt race and the English equivalent of the Welsh National, which usually takes place on the first Saturday in April heralding the demise of the jump racing season.
Welsh Grand National Betting FAQs
You can watch this Grade 3 race live on Sky Sports Racing and ITV 4.
The Welsh Grand National always takes place the 27th of December at Chepstow Racecourse in Monmouthshire, Wales
ThePuntersPage Final Say
The Welsh Grand National is a Group Three National Hunt steeplechase that, as well as being a vital part of the British Christmas sporting calendar, also makes up one third of the UK’s National Treble along with the Scottish Grand National and the Grand National race at Aintree in April. Like the King George VI that runs a day earlier at Kempton Park, the race is a good informer for March’s Cheltenham Festival.
Also, like the King George, Welsh Grand National betting has evolved into a very big deal, and following what the bookmakers predict will happen can pay dividends. At the end of the day, the Welsh Grand National is a very big deal in its own right and an absolute must for horse racing bettors, whether new to horse racing or experienced veterans.