Man City vs Chelsea is one of the biggest fixtures in world football. Ever since both clubs received financial investment in the 2000s, they have become two of the most successful teams in England and Europe. Due to this, meetings between the pair are always hotly contested and make for some great Man City vs Chelsea football bets.
Table of Contents
- Best Bookies for Man City vs Chelsea Betting
- Best Man City vs Chelsea Betting Sites – Top 5 Ranked
- Man City vs Chelsea Betting Preview
- Man City Injuries, Suspensions & Team News
- Chelsea Injuries, Suspensions & Team News
- Man City & Chelsea Recent Premier League Form
- Man City vs Chelsea: What Channel is it On?
- Man City vs Chelsea: Live Stream?
- Man City vs Chelsea: Where Is it Being Played?
- Man City vs Chelsea Premier League Odds
- Man City vs Chelsea Betting Tips
- Man City vs Chelsea History
- Chelsea vs Manchester City: Complete Head-to-Head Record
- Chelsea vs Manchester City: Last 10 Results
- The Best Man City vs Chelsea Games Ever
- Man City vs Chelsea: Who Has Won More Trophies?
- Man City vs Chelsea: Which Team Is More Popular?
- The Best Manchester City Players Ever
- The Best Chelsea Players Ever
- Man City vs Chelsea Betting FAQs
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ Min deposit requirement. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits and are available for use upon settlement of bets to value of qualifying deposit. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
T&Cs: New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New customers only. Place your FIRST bet on any sportsbook market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £20. Only deposits made using cards or Apple Pay will qualify for this promotion. T&Cs apply. Paddy's Rewards Club: Get a £10 free bet when you place 5x bets of £10+. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
• New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit, and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative price Evens+) within 7 days of registration. • First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto, and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 48 hours of bet settlement. • Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first 5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4x 5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. No cashout, restrictions + Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
Best Man City vs Chelsea Betting Sites – Top 5 Ranked
#02 William Hill
#03 Paddy Power
Man City vs Chelsea Betting Preview
- Manchester City and Chelsea will meet at the Etihad Stadium on January 15 2022 in their Premier League clash. At the start of the campaign, City and Chelsea were inseparable at the top of the table, while at one stage Thomas Tuchel’s men set the pace in the English top-flight ahead of Pep Guardiola’s men and Liverpool. However, City have managed to pull away from Chelsea and the Reds at the top of the table to build a comfortable lead.
- Guardiola’s men have been on a relentless run of form, defying suspensions, injuries and COVID-19 absences to maintain their dominance at the top of the table. They appear to be on the march towards a second Premier League crown in a row and fourth in six seasons under the Spaniard. It would take a monumental collapse from the Citizens, which would be extremely out of character of the club and Guardiola’s City teams since taking his place in the dugout in 2016. A victory over Chelsea would effectively remove a contender from the title race, and somewhat avenge their defeat at the hands of the Blues in the 2021 Champions League final.
- Chelsea cannot afford any further slip-ups in their bid to catch City at the top of the Premier League. The men managed by Tuchel have not seen a dramatic decline in form, but have dropped too many points at home in draws against Everton, Brighton and Hove Albion and Wolves on the road. Even their 2-2 draw against Liverpool increased the pressure on the club in their title bid, although they did respond from a two-goal deficit.
- There is one encouraging factor in Chelsea’s favour heading into their showdown with City. Since Tuchel’s arrival at the end of 2020, the Blues have fared well against Guardiola and company, including their Champions League triumph. Chelsea also defeated the Citizens on the road last season in the Premier League. They also played out a tight contest earlier in the campaign at Stamford Bridge that City just edged courtesy of a Gabriel Jesus goal.
- Chelsea will go to the Etihad Stadium with confidence, although matters off the pitch have disrupted their plans slightly. Romelu Lukaku released an interview regarding his happiness at the club just months after signing with the Blues from Inter Milan. The Belgian was dropped from the squad against Liverpool, and Tuchel may want to continue to send a message against City.
Man City Injuries, Suspensions & Team News
- City have been fortunate to avoid a glut of injuries, although they have been tested by absences such as injuries to John Stones and Kyle Walker. Walker appears to be on the comeback trail, and could be pressed into action against the Blues. Oleksandr Zinchenko has battled with fitness issues throughout the campaign and was forced to miss the win over Arsenal in the Premier League after testing positive for COVID-19. Nathan Ake filled in at left-back, but the return of Walker could allow Joao Cancelo to move over to the left and Walker to slot back into the right-back position. Ruben Dias and Aymeric Laporte should anchor the middle of the defence, with Ake returning to the bench should Zinchenko not be available.
- Rodri showed no signs of fitness trouble when he scored the winner against the Gunners. He had been isolating after over the festive period, but was on point in the middle of the park. Phil Foden missed the win due to his own positive COVID-19 test, and with Riyad Mahrez away at the Africa Cup of Nations with Algeria, City will have their depth tested in the final third. Grealish could be reinstated after a spell out of the team, while youngster Cole Palmer is another option for Guardiola to consider.
Chelsea Injuries, Suspensions & Team News
- Tuchel faces a difficult decision regarding whether to integrate Lukaku back into the line-up against City. The Belgian can be a match-winner on his day, but he does not have the best record against the elite teams in the Premier League. Chelsea proved that they can score goals without Lukaku in the final third against Liverpool.
- Christian Pulisic has fared well leading the line in place of Lukaku, but Tuchel will hope that Timo Werner can return to fitness after suffering from COVID-19 to provide a natural frontman to play off. Kai Havertz has been disappointing since his move from Bayer Leverkusen, and might be the player to make way from the final third that drew against Liverpool.
- Elsewhere, Reece James could be out for an extended period after suffering a hamstring tear. He joins Ben Chilwell on the sidelines, who has already been confirmed to be out for the rest of the season. As a result, options are thin on the ground at the back for the Blues, which could be made worse by an injury suffered by Trevoh Chalobah against the Reds.
- Chelsea may have to enter the transfer market to plug the gaps in their backline. Edouard Mendy has papered over the cracks at times for the Blues this term, but he will also be absent as he is competing at the Africa Cup of Nations for Senegal. Kepa Arrizabalaga will slot into the side between the posts at the Etihad Stadium.
Man City & Chelsea Recent Premier League Form
|1/1/22||Arsenal 1-2 Man City|
|29/12/21||Brentford 0-1 Man City|
|26/12/21||Man City 6-3 Leicester City|
|19/12/21||Newcastle United 0-4 Man City|
|14/12/21||Man City 7-0 Leeds United|
|2/1/22||Chelsea 2-2 Liverpool|
|29/12/21||Chelsea 1-1 Brighton and Hove Albion|
|26/12/21||Aston Villa 1-3 Chelsea|
|19/12/21||Wolves 0-0 Chelsea|
|16/12/21||Chelsea 1-1 Everton|
Man City vs Chelsea: What Channel is it On?
Man City v Chelsea will be televised in the United Kingdom on January 15 2022 at 12:30 GMT on BT Sport.
Man City vs Chelsea: Live Stream?
The Champions League final featuring Man City vs Chelsea can also be viewed for free on the BT Sport App. The game is also being streamed on the BT Sport YouTube channel.
Man City vs Chelsea: Where Is it Being Played?
The contest between Manchester City and Chelsea is being played at the Etihad Stadium, Manchester. It is the second Premier League match of the season between the two clubs, with City edging the first game by a 1-0 margin at Stamford Bridge.
The Etihad Stadium boasts a capacity of 55,097, and up to 3,000 away supporters will be allowed to attend the contest. The match should be a sell-out given the importance of the fixture in the context of the Premier League title race.
Man City vs Chelsea Premier League Odds
Man City vs Chelsea Betting Tips
- 01Clashes between the elite teams in the Premier League can be difficult to predict as the form guide can often go out the window. City have been in dominant form in the Premier League, reeling off 11 wins on the bounce dating back to the start of November. It is very hard to look past them, especially on home soil.
- 02City have only lost once at home this season, which came in October against Crystal Palace. Guardiola and his team are on a march towards the Premier League crown and their result against Arsenal highlighted the character of the team, finding a way to win even without playing anywhere near their best. We feel that backing City, although they are the favourites for the contest, is the smart place to put your money with odds of 8/13 available with Ladbrokes. These odds may drift before kick-off, so make sure to shop around the leading football betting sites to get premium value on City to win the game.
- 03Tuchel has given Guardiola teams problems in the past and this will not be an easy match for City even at home. Chelsea displayed their clinical edge and defensive resilience to defeat City in the Champions League final. It was also evident in Chelsea’s win at the Etihad last season and their FA Cup quarter-final triumph over the Citizens. Guardiola appeared to crack the code at Stamford Bridge earlier this season when Jesus scored the only goal of the game to allow City to claim a vital three points and break a cycle of poor form against the Blues.
- 04This should not be a high scoring contest, so, we would recommend look at the under 2.5 goals market. The last two matches between the two sides have been decided by a single goal so looking the prices, we feel that a wager with bet365 at 1/1 represents good value and a chance to make a decent sum of money from your bet.
- 05City have been extremely successful this season without the presence of a predatory striker. Kevin De Bruyne, Bernardo Silva, Gabriel Jesus, Phil Foden, Jack Grealish, Ilkay Gundogan and Riyad Mahrez have been called upon to supply the goals. Gundogan is often a man for the big occasion and tracking his odds to score anytime in the contest would be a good bet.
- 06The best Premier League betting sites in the industry will cater odds boosts and free bets around Man City vs Chelsea due to the importance of the fixture in the calendar. Make sure to track all the offers at hand to ensure that you are getting value for money. These offers can be used in a variety of ways but may also require stipulations to qualify. Read the fine print of the offers before putting down your stake.
Man City vs Chelsea History
- Manchester City first faced off against Chelsea back in 1907. That game ended 2-2, and this has set the tone for the closely contested rivalry ever since.
- After trading blows for many years in both the First and Second Division, the pair were drawn against each other in the 1970/1971 European Cup Winners Cup semi-finals. Chelsea came out on top on that occasion, winning both legs 1-0 before going on to defeat Real Madrid in the final.
- In the modern era, the intensity of the rivalries has been dialled up significantly. In 2004 and 2008 respectively, Chelsea and Man City were taken over by super rich owners. Buoyed by this investment, the pair are now permanent fixtures of the Premier League elite, meaning fixtures almost always have a significant say in the title race.
- The most notable of their encounters came last season in the Champions League final. Man City were expected to win the European crown for the first time given their dominant win over Paris Saint-Germain in the semi-finals. However, Chelsea stunned their rivals as Havertz scored the only goal of the game in the first half on a quick break to hand the Champions League trophy to the Blues for the second time in their history.
- As their respective fortunes have improved since the turn of the millennium, there have been a number of players featuring for both clubs. Shaun Wright-Phillips, Nicolas Anelka and Kevin De Bruyne have all turned out for both sides, as has Blues favourite Frank Lampard.
Chelsea vs Manchester City: Complete Head-to-Head Record
Overall, Manchester City and Chelsea have played each other on 171 occasions. Chelsea enjoy a narrow advantage, winning 71 to City’s 60, while 40 of the games have ended all square.
In the Premier League era, the Blues have dominated, securing 27 wins and scoring 71 goals in 49 games. Meanwhile, City have won 15 and netted 51 times, with the remaining seven meetings ending all square.
|Games Played||Man City||Draw||Chelsea|
Chelsea vs Manchester City: Last 10 Results
|25 September 2021||Chelsea 0 -1 Man City||Premier League|
|29 May 2021||Chelsea 1-0 Man CIty||Champions League|
|8 May 2021||Man City 1-2 Chelsea||Premier League|
|17 April 2021||Chelsea 1-0 Man City||FA Cup|
|3 January 2021||Chelsea 1-3 Man City||Premier League|
|25 June 2020||Chelsea 2-1 Man City||Premier League|
|23 November 2019||Man City 2-1 Chelsea||Premier League|
|24 February 2019||Chelsea 0-0 Man City||League Cup|
|10 February 2019||Man City 6-0 Chelsea||Premier League|
|8 December 2018||Chelsea 2-0 Man City||Premier League|
The Best Man City vs Chelsea Games Ever
Chelsea vs Manchester City has thrown up some terrific contests down the years. With so many great games to choose from, selecting the absolute best was always going to be hard. However, we love a challenge, so we’ve given it a go anyway.
Chelsea 5-4 Manchester City – 1986
The Full Members Cup is not the most well known competition in football history. Set up in response of English clubs being banned from European competition following the Heysel disaster, it was supposed to feature First and Second Division sides — but only 21 out of 44 possible entrants took up the offer.
Despite its meagre reputation, its first ever final was a stone cold classic. Chelsea and Man City shared nine goals, with the Blues narrowly triumphing in front of 67,000 fans at Wembley Stadium.
David Speedie grabbed a hat trick for the Londoners, with tricky winger Pat Nevin helping himself to a few assists. Incredibly, Chelsea were 5-1 up with just five minutes of normal time remaining. However, a late rally from the Citizens made for an uncomfortable last few moments for John Hollins’ side.
Manchester City 6-0 Chelsea – 2019
This was without doubt the low point of the Maurizio Sarri era at Stamford Bridge. Chelsea went into this one nine points adrift of their opponents, who were battling it out with Liverpool and Tottenham at the top of the Premier League table.
This gulf in class did not take long to show either, with Raheem Sterling finishing off a typically Pep Guardiola-esque goal inside four minutes. A quickfire brace from Sergio Aguero and further strike from Ilkay Gundogan then made it 4-0 before the half hour mark.
Aguero completed his hat trick after half-time and Sterling grabbed a late goal to ensure Chelsea were smashed for six. The Blues nearly got their revenge the following month in the League Cup final — only for City to edge them out on penalties.
Chelsea 5-1 Manchester City – 2016
The FA Cup is well known for throwing up great games, and Man City’s trip to Stamford Bridge to take on Chelsea in 2016 was no different.
City rotated heavily for the fixture, with then up-and-comers like Toison Adarabioyo and Kelechi Iheancho both being handed starts. Meanwhile, Chelsea interim boss Guus Hiddink played close to a full strength XI.
Despite this, the game started fairly evenly, with the scores level 1-1 at half-time. After the break, Chelsea ran riot with Willian, Gary Cahill, Eden Hazard and Bertrand Traore all netting to seal a famous victory.
Chelsea 1-0 Manchester City – 2021
Chelsea and Man City faced off in the Champions League final at the end of the 2020/21 season in Porto. A limited number of fans were allowed to attend the contest due to COVID-19 restrictions, but there was still a great atmosphere at the Estadio do Dragao. City were expected to secure the crown for the first time after beating Paris Saint-Germain in the semi-finals, dispatching Neymar and Kylian Mbappe from the competition.
City had already won the Premier League and were eyeing a prestigious treble adding the Champions League trophy to the top-flight crown and the EFL Cup. Chelsea had bared their teeth to knock City out of the FA Cup and producing a fine performance to defeat them on the road in the Premier League.
Tuchel and his team played the contest to perfection by stifling the City attack and producing a brilliant effort on the counterattack as Kai Havertz scored the only goal of the contest.
The German displayed a clinical edge to round Ederson before slotting his strike into an empty net. City tried to up the ante in response, but failed to break down the Blues’ rearguard, allowing Chelsea to hold out for their second Champions League title.
Man City vs Chelsea: Who Has Won More Trophies?
Chelsea are the more successful team historically, securing 28 major honours, while City have only managed 22.
Manchester City Major Honours
|First Division/Premier League||7|
|Cup Winners' Cup||1|
Chelsea Major Honours
|First Division/Premier League||6|
|Full Members' Cup||2|
|Cup Winners' Cup||2|
|UEFA Super Cup||1|
Man City vs Chelsea: Which Team Is More Popular?
Measuring how many ‘fans’ any football club has is difficult, but there are several indicators that can be used.
In terms of match-going supporters, Manchester City’s home crowds were bigger on average than Chelsea during the 2018/2019 season — the last campaign with no spectator restrictions. However, this was largely due to them possessing a larger stadium. The Etihad Stadium has a capacity of 55,017, much more than Stamford Bridge’s 41,837.
In terms of social media following, though, the Blues hold the advantage. As per the end of 2020, they had a combined 93.2m followers across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok and YouTube. City, on the other hand, had 75.9m.
The Best Manchester City Players Ever
Bert Trautmann’s story is fascinating. Joining the Nazi Party at a young age, he fought in World War Two. During the fighting he was captured and interned in a PoW camp in Lancashire, refusing an offer to return to Germany and settling in St Helens.
While playing for the local side,, he was spotted by Manchester City. After signing for the club in 1949, he then went on to make 508 league appearances. This included his heroics in the 1956 FA Cup Final, where he played with a broken neck.
No player in history has scored more times for Manchester City than Sergio Aguero. At the time of writing, he has managed 258 goals in all competitions, but he has time for a few more before he leaves the club at the end of the 2020/2021 season.
His most famous strike was scored in the closing stages of City’s final day win over QPR in 2012. The goal secured the club’s first Premier League title with almost the last kick of the game, making it one of the most iconic sporting moments of the 21st century.
To have a stand named after you, you have to be pretty darn good — and Colin Bell was exactly that. Joining City in 1966, the mesmeric midfielder delighted fans with his trickery and stunning goals for 13 wonderful years.
When he sadly passed away in 2021, the tributes soon came flooding in for The King of the Kippax.
Both on the field and off it, Vincent Kompany was a born leader. He cost City less than £10m in 2008, but proved himself to be worth every penny. He was the lynchpin of two of City’s Premier League winning sides and played a significant role in two other title triumphs.
The definition of a club legend.
The consistency David Silva showed during his decade at Man City was unbelievable. Intelligent, agile and blessed with a world class technique, he was the perfect number 10, and was similarly effective in deeper midfield roles.
Silva would depart in 2020, having earned a place in the Premier League Team of the Season three times and secured a significant trophy haul.
The Best Chelsea Players Ever
Few players are as beloved by Chelsea fans young and old than John Terry. The fearless centre-back spent over two decades at his boyhood club, captaining the Blues to five Premier League titles and a string of other top honours.
For the majority of his time in West London, he was considered one of the best defenders on the planet.
For older Chelsea supporters, no one embodied the club’s never-say-die spirit better than Ron “Chopper” Harris.
As his nickname suggests, the full-back took absolutely no prisoners, continuing to be a mainstay of the side for 20 years. His 795 appearances in all competitions remains a club record — and it is unlikely to be bested any time soon.
Without Didier Drogba, Chelsea fans may still be waiting for their first Champions League trophy. With hope fading in the 2012 final, the Ivorian grabbed a vital equaliser to send the game to extra time. He then converted the winning penalty in the shootout to secure the title.
These sort of heroics were typical of Drogba’s time at Chelsea, who never shied away performance-wise on the biggest stages.
Forget being Chelsea’s best-ever player – there is a strong case that Frank Lampard is the Premier League’s greatest performer.
An expert in arriving late in the box to grab an easy finish, he is the highest scoring midfielder in the competition’s history, with his goals ending up being priceless to Chelsea down the years.
Chelsea fans were devastated when Eden Hazard left for Real Madrid in 2019, such was his impact at Stamford Bridge.
Hazard terrorised opposition full-backs whenever he stepped over the white line, with his talent leading the Blues to the Premier League title in 2017.
Man City vs Chelsea Betting FAQs
What channel is Man City vs Chelsea on?
You can watch Man City vs Chelsea in their Premier League clash on BT Sport at 12:30 GMT.
Who won the last encounter between Man City vs Chelsea?
Man City won the last meeting between the two sides in their Premier League match in September 2021 at Stamford Bridge. Gabriel Jesus scored the decisive goal to secure the three points for Pep Guardiola’s men.
How many times does Man City vs Chelsea happen each year?
Manchester City vs Chelsea happens twice per year in the Premier League but they could also draw each other in the FA Cup or Champions League during the 2021/2022 season.
When is Man City vs Chelsea next happening?
Man City and Chelsea will next face off at the Etihad Stadium on 15 January 2022 in their Premier League clash.
ThePuntersPage Final Say
Premier League fixtures do not come more exciting or hotly anticipated than Man City vs Chelsea. The pair are always competing at the top of the table, normally resulting in dramatic contests. If you have not tried betting on the fixture, there has never been a better time to start with the biggest ever meeting between the pair just around the corner.