The Indian Premier League, commonly referred to as the IPL, is India's professional cricket league that follows the format of Twenty20, a shortened form of the sport. The IPL cricket tournament runs each year in March, April and May, featuring ten teams that each represent a state or a city in the country. Among punters of cricket, IPL betting has taken off spectacularly.
- Tournament Structure for the Indian Premier League
- Best Betting Sites for the Indian Premier League
- Best Bookies for IPL Betting – Top 5 Ranked
- IPL Betting Odds, Promotions, Tips & Predictions
- Indian Pemier League (IPL) Betting Odds 2022
- Indian Pemier League Betting Tips & Predictions 2022
- 5 Reasons to Bet on the Indian Premier League
- IPL Live Betting – Best Sites with Live Streaming
- Popular IPL Cricket Betting Markets
- History of the Indian Premier League (IPL)
- Similar tournaments to the Indian Premier League
- Upcoming Sporting Events
- Indian Premier League Betting FAQs
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
Tournament Structure for the Indian Premier League
In 2008, the IPL was first staged by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI). Back then, the league was contested by eight teams, although not all eight participating teams are the same as in the beginning. In 2022, two teams were added, stretching the league to a ten-team competition. During the season, which lasts from April through May, each team plays each other twice, once home and once away.
At the end of this phase of the competition, the top four teams contest in the playoffs. Here, the top two sides play each other in the first match, with the winner going into the final, and the losing team playing again in the next qualifier, where they play the winner of the third- and fourth-placed teams qualifier.
The winner of this match will be the second team to take part in the final, where the winner of that season’s Indian Premier League will be crowned. The team that wins the Indian Premier League receives just short of $3 million, with the runners-up taking home $ 1.8 million.
Indian Premier League Teams
|Chennai Super Kings||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||M. A. Chidambaram Stadium|
|Delhi Capitals||Delhi, NCR||Arun Jaitley Stadium|
|Gujarat Titans||Ahmedabad, Gujarat||Narendra Modi Stadium|
|Kings XI Punjab||Mohali (Chandigarh), Punjab||PCA Stadium, Mohali|
|Kolkata Knight Riders||Kolkata, West Bengal||Eden Gardens|
|Lucknow Super Giants||Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh||BRSABV Ekana Cricket Stadium|
|Mumbai Indians||Mumbai, Maharashtra||Wankhede Stadium|
|Rajasthan Royals||Jaipur, Rajasthan||Sawai Mansingh Stadium|
|Royal Challengers Bangalore||Bengaluru, Karnataka||M. Chinnaswamy Stadium|
|Sunrisers Hyderabad||Hyderabad, Telangana||Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium|
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ - Offer for new customers at bet365. Min deposit requirement. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits and are available for use upon settlement of bets to value of qualifying deposit. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first 5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4x 5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. No cashout, restrictions + Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New customers only from 11.08.2021. £10 bet required to quality within 30 days of registration, Maximum £10 in Free Bets and up to 100 Free Spins. Free Bets valid for 3 days. Bet Responsibly. Terms and conditions apply. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first bet loses. Wagering requirements: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 50x. Unless forfeited the sportsbook bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in. No deposit required for NI customers. Call 08081699314 to claim. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply. See full terms below. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
Best Bookies for IPL Betting – Top 5 Ranked
#5 William Hill
IPL Betting Odds, Promotions, Tips & Predictions
Cricket betting doesn’t get much more exciting than this league, with the 2022 IPL set to get underway on 2nd April. Keep reading to find out all about IPL betting odds, tips, and predictions.
Indian Pemier League (IPL) Betting Odds 2022
Indian Premier League Winner odds
|Kolkata Knight Riders||13/2||bet365|
|Royal Challengers Bangalore||8/1||BoyleSports|
|Chennai Super Kings||9/1||BetVictor|
|Lucknow Super Giants||11/1||Parimatch|
|Sunrisers Hyderabad||16/1||William Hill|
Indian Premier League To Reach the Final odds
|Kings XI Punjab||11/4||Betfair|
|Kolkata Knight Riders||3/1||BoyleSports|
|Rajasthan Royals||4/1||Paddy Power|
|Royal Challengers Bangalore||4/1||BoyleSports|
|Chennai Super Kings||9/2||BoyleSports|
Indian Pemier League Betting Tips & Predictions 2022
- Over the next couple of months we will witness a carnival of cricket, thanks to the Indian Premier League taking centre-stage. Expect packed crowds, monster boundaries and devastating bowling displays, with T20 cricket continuing to grow in popularity and the Chennai Super Kings remaining the team to beat.
- Six months ago, the Super Kings claimed a stunning 27-run over the Kolkata Knight Riders - that being said, there has been some debate about just how good this Super Kings side is. MS Dhoni remains instrumental, and although he is one of the most scrutinised players in India, he is very handy with the bat. However, the veteran will need to stand up and be counted if his side are going to defend the title. Nevertheless, the Super Kings are trading at 9/1 with most bookmakers, and they may find things tougher going this time. If they reach the final, they will have done well.
- In terms of picking a winner, you may lean more towards the Delhi Capitals. They can be backed at 5/1 with most leading bookmakers, and while they are favourites, they possess plenty of power in the batting line-up. For example, Lalit Yadav is in great shape, and he is not afraid to take on the bowling attack of any IPL franchise in the competition. If they can settle into the groove quickly, then he could end up going all the way.
- Alternatively, you may find more value in the Punjab Kings. They may not be the most glamorous side in the competition, and have yet to reach a final since the inception of the tournament in 2008, but they are making serious progress. Perhaps this could be the year when things change, meaning they will be the ones to keep an eye on. Currently, they are in the 7s mark, and they could be a serious force.
- Meanwhile, the Rajasthan Royals probably ought to be a little lower in terms of their outright odds to win. The Royals were the first-ever winners of the IPL, and while the team has endured a lot of changes in more recent times, they should not be discounted. At the moment, they are nearly 9/1 to win the tournament, though perhaps they should be a little shorter than that. Either way, they will be a joy to watch.
Indian Premier League Betting Promotions 2021
- Coral make an excellent betting partner for the Indian Premier League, thanks to their fantastic ‘Bet £5 Get £20' welcome offer for new customers.
- Another great way to enjoy IPL betting online is with William Hill’s great welcome offer, which grants you a max bonus of £30 after depositing £10.
5 Reasons to Bet on the Indian Premier League
- The IPL is the world’s most watched Twenty20 cricket tournament.
- It’s the original and the best of its kind.
- Many of the world’s top cricketers have been drafted.
- The whole of India will be on tenterhooks throughout.
- Cricket fans all over the globe will be watching.
IPL Live Betting – Best Sites with Live Streaming
- William Hill
Popular IPL Cricket Betting Markets
Given the thrills of the Indian Premier League itself, the passion of the locals and the amount of betting opportunities that this excellent competition delivers, it's not a surprise that so many want to bet on IPL cricket. We've listed below the most popular betting markets for your consideration.
IPL Outright Winner
Why not place a bet on the team that you think will win the IPL? This market will be available all season long, meaning you can place your bet either before the league begins or as it unfolds. It will pay out if your chosen team is crowned IPL champion. You can also bet on a team making the playoffs, if that feels like a more sensible bet.
Best Indian Premier League betting site for Outright Winner: NetBet
In-play betting works well with most sports, but it is particularly suited to cricket since matches typically last about 3 hours and 20 minutes. That creates many great opportunities for live betting.
But what can you bet on in real time with IPL cricket? Well, IPL live score betting has always been popular, as has Next Wicket-Taker, Next Six Hit and Making a Century. Remember – by placing a small bet, some sites will even allow you to unlock their IPL livestreaming services too.
Best Indian Premier League betting site for live betting: Unibet
To Finish Bottom
If there's a team you feel is doomed and likely to be propping up the rest come the end of the season, then this is a good bet for that. As with the Outright Winner bet, this can be made either before the season gets underway, or during it. Of course, as the season continues, the picture regarding likely outcomes at either end of the table becomes clearer, so you'll have a better idea of what might happen. However, needless to say, this cause any IPL betting odds to fluctuate.
Best Indian Premier League betting site for To Finish Bottom: bet365
You can think of this type of bet as a Top Scorer bet in football, with the difference being that in cricket, the scoring is done by the batters. In all likelihood, the same names will contest this award each season, so looking into past batting averages is a good idea for those looking to make an informed bet.
Best Indian Premier League betting site for Top Batsman: Ladbrokes
History of the Indian Premier League (IPL)
The original Indian Cricket League (ICL) was founded in 2007, but unfortunately it was not initially recognised by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) or the International Cricket Council (ICC), with the BCCI displeased that its own committee members were signing up to the breakaway league. In order to squash the new movement, the BCCI raised the prize money in their existing tournaments while at the same time threatening to ban anyone considering joining the ICL.
To counter, in September 2007, the BCCI announced that they would, in 2008, be launching the Indian Premier League, a franchise-based Twenty20 cricket competition. The Indian Cricket League soon folded in 2008. Two new teams joined the league in 2010 when Pune Warriors India, who no longer exist, and Kochi Tuskers Kerala signed up. The extended league wasn’t to last for long, however, as within a year Kochi Tuskers Kerala were terminated, and a year after that, the Deccan Chargers, the 2009 champions, would also become extinct.
The league was the subject of a match-fixing scandal in 2015 which, in order to clear up the competition, resulted in two-time champions Chennai Super Kings and the first ever winners of the IPL the Rajasthan Royals, both being suspended for two seasons. On their return to IPL cricket participation, the Chennai Super Kings were again crowned champions in 2018.
In 2020, the competition was held in the United Arab Emirates due to concerns surrounding the ongoing pandemic. The following year, the tournament was suspended indefinitely, following increased health risks. At the time when it was suspended, 29 of the scheduled 60 matches had been played. The BCCI would later announce that the remaining matches would also be played in the United Arab Emirates.
Recent Indian Premier League Winners
|2021||Chennai Super Kings||Kolkata Knight Riders|
|2020||Mumbai Indians||Delhi Capitals|
|2019||Mumbai Indians||Chennai Super Kings|
|2018||Chennai Super Kings||Sunrisers Hyderabad|
|2017||Mumbai Indians||Rising Pune Supergiant|
|2016||Sunrisers Hyderabad||Royal Challengers Bangalore|
|2015||Mumbai Indians||Chennai Super Kings|
|2014||Kolkata Knight Riders||Kings XI Punjab|
|2013||Mumbai Indians||Chennai Super Kings|
|2012||Kolkata Knight Riders||Chennai Super Kings|
|2011||Chennai Super Kings||Royal Challengers Bangalore|
Indian Premier League Key Stats
- The Mumbai Indians are the most successful franchise in IPL history, having been crowned champions five times, two more than the Chennai Super Kings.
- Lasith Malinga of the Mumbai Indians is the all-time leading wicket-taker in IPL history, having been responsible for 170 dismissals over the years.
- Having racked up 5,878 runs in his career thus far, Royal Challengers Bangalore's Virat Kohli is the league’s leading run scorer.
- West Indian batting legend Chris Gayle has the most sixes, with a total of 349.
- Chris Gayle has also scored a total of six centuries, the highest amount hit by any player in IPL history.
- Royal Challengers Bangalore posted the highest team total when they chalked up a 263/5 win against the now-defunct Pune Warriors at home in 2013.
Similar tournaments to the Indian Premier League
- 16 October – 13 November 2022, T20 World Cup: The next renewal of the short-format game – where teams are limited to 20 overs each – which will take place in Australia, the reigning champions.
- July-September 2023, The Ashes: Following Australia’s resounding win Down Under, the Aussies will visit England for a five-match Test series.
Upcoming Sporting Events
Indian Premier League Betting FAQs
The Indian Premier League footage will be broadcast live on Sky Sports.
The IPL is a Twenty20 (T20) tournament, meaning that both teams play 20 overs each.
Teams can acquire players in three ways: the annual pre-season player auction, by transferring players during one of three trading windows and signing player replacements when players are unavailable.
The IPL takes place each year, starting in March and ending in May.
Yes, this option will be available.
ThePuntersPage Final Say
Cricket’s answer to the English Premier League, the IPL is the biggest domestic cricket competition in the world. India is, after all, mad about cricket, and this glitzy and relatively new tournament sees the sport at its very best and most exciting.
What’s more, matches are played in the popular fast moving T20 format that cricket fans and bettors adore. Crowds of over 100,000 and US$ 2.5 billion in TV money are testament to that. Played every year with teams drawn from all four quarters of India, the IPL is great to bet on and to simply enjoy!