UEFA has announced the introduction of a third club competition below the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Europa League – the UEFA Europa Conference League. So, who qualifies for this exciting new tournament and what is it all about? Find out in this UEFA Europa Conference League betting guide.
Table of Contents
- Best Betting Sites We Recommend for Europa Conference League
- Best Betting Sites for Europa Conference League Betting – Ranked
- The UEFA Europa Conference 2021–22 so far
- UEFA Europa Conference League Odds (Outright)
- What is the Europa Conference League?
- UEFA Europa Conference League Format
- How to qualify for the Europa Conference League and leagues that can qualify
- When will the Europa Conference League take place?
- 5 Reasons to Watch & Bet on the Europa Conference League
- Popular Europa Conference League Betting Markets
- UEFA Europa Conference League Betting FAQs
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
Best Betting Sites for Europa Conference League Betting – Ranked
#5 LV BET
The UEFA Europa Conference 2021–22 so far
So far, the 2021–22 UEFA Europa Conference has provided us with some excellent football, showing that even mid-tier European teams have plenty to offer.
32 Teams made the draw, in 8 groups. The group stage is almost over, with only 2 match days left:
- Matchday 5 on 25 November
- Matchday 6 on 9 December
Standings in each group
The knockout rounds
After that, it is time for the knockout round. The draw for the knockout stage is set for 13 December 2021. The knockout playoffs will then be on 17 and 24 February 2022. The round of 16 will continue on 10 and 17 March, with the Quarter-finals on 7 and 14 April, the Semi-finals on 28 April and 5 May.
The final is set for 25 May in the Tirana National Arena.
UEFA Europa Conference League Odds (Outright)
Below are the outright odds for the highest biggest favourites to win the competition:
|FC Union Berlin||30/1||Unibet|
|FK Baumit Jablonec||50/1||Unibet|
The outcome of the final two group stage matches is likely to have a major effect on the UEFA Europa Conference League Outright Odds, as will the draw for the knockout stage on 13 December. Check this page every day for the latest updates, odds and tips.
What is the Europa Conference League?
The Europa Conference League is a brand-new tournament set to kick off in the 2021/22 season. The Europa Conference League will welcome clubs from a diversity of lower-ranked European leagues, presenting them with a stage to compete for glory and will make for some fantastic football betting opportunities.
As things stand, most teams that consistently make it to the group stages of the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League stem from Europe’s top ten to thirteen leagues. When it comes to the winners, the list is even narrower. No team outside of England, Spain or Germany has won the Champions League or Europa League/UEFA Cup since 2011.
The Europa Conference League is being organised with the view to enhance inclusivity and give teams that are usually financially outmuscled the chance to compete at a European level.
UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin said “The new UEFA club competition makes UEFA's club competitions more inclusive than ever before. There will be more matches for more clubs, with more associations represented in the group stages,”
The revenue generated through broadcasted matches will help strengthening these clubs and facilitate their climb up the food chain of European football.
UEFA Europa Conference League Format
A total of 184 teams from 55 UEFA member associations (countries) will participate in the qualifying rounds to try and book their place in the final competition. No teams will be able to secure an automatic spot in the group stage via their domestic league.
The group stage will consist of 32 teams that will come through one of the following 3 routes:
- 17 teams will be from the Europa Conference League main path (featuring clubs from smaller leagues that didn’t win their domestic league title)
- 5 teams from the Europa Conference League champions path (featuring league champions that were knocked out of Champions League or Europa League qualifiers)
- 10 teams eliminated from the UEFA Europa League playoffs
These teams will then be split into 8 groups of 4 teams, with the 8 group winners progressing directly to the last 16. The 8 runners-up and 8 third-placed teams will compete in an additional round against each other – the knockout round playoffs – to determine which 8 teams will join the group winners in the round of 16. The last 16 round will then be followed by the quarter-finals, semi-finals and the final.
The inaugural Europa Conference League final will be hosted by recently opened 21,690-capacity National Arena (Arena Kombëtare) in Tirana, Albania. The winners will be rewarded with a spot in the following season’s Europa League group stage unless they have already qualified for the Champions League through via their domestic league.
How to qualify for the Europa Conference League and leagues that can qualify
There are two ways teams can qualify for the Europa Conference League: the Champions Path and the League Path.
The Champions Path is for teams that lost qualification for the Champions League group stage. Thus, they will get a second chance at glory.
For the League Path, each European nation is assigned a number of spots, based on rankings.
- Nations with ranking 1 to 5: one team
- Nations with ranking 6 to 15: two teams
- Nations with ranking 16 to 50 three teams
- Nations with ranking 16 to 50 three teams
- Nations with ranking 51 to 55: two teams
It is worth pointing out that each country will have the same amount of teams qualifying for continental football as they did before the launch of the Conference League. The tournament is essentially a secondary tournament for the lower teams of the existing Europa League tournament.
When will the Europa Conference League take place?
Qualifiers for the UEFA Europa Conference League will commence on the 8th of July 2021, with the group stage of the competition following on the 16th of September of the same year. Matches will be played on Thursdays at 17:45 GMT and 20:00 GMT, which is the same time as Europa League games. What this means is that there could be as many as 32 European club games played on Thursday between the two competitions.
Europa Conference League schedule & key dates:
- First qualifying round: 8th & 15th July 2021
- Second qualifying round: 22nd & 29th July 2021
- Third qualifying round: 5th & 12th August 2021
- Play-offs: 19th & 26th August 2021
- Group stage (Tournament begins): 16th & 30th September, 21st October, 4th & 25th November, 9th December 2021
- Knockout round play-offs: 17th & 24th February 2022
- Round of 16: 10th & 17th March 2022
- Quarter-finals: 7th & 14thApril 2022
- Semi-finals: 28th April & 5th May 2022
- Final: 25th May 2022
5 Reasons to Watch & Bet on the Europa Conference League
- Become more familiar with teams from forgotten leagues. How much do you know about teams in Switzerland, Israel or Latvia?
- Find betting value. With the quality of most teams relatively unknown, bookies’ odds won’t be as close to reality as they are in the top competitions. This gives you plenty of opportunity to exploit.
- It’s anyone’s trophy. A new competition with an aura of unpredictability – unlike the two UEFA competitions above it, anyone could triumph.
- Discover hidden gems scattered around Europe. This competition will be a golden stage for rising stars to display their talents to a wider audience.
- It will be charged with emotion. A competition like this will mean a heck of a lot to those involved, and it certainly won’t be lacking in passion or desire.
Popular Europa Conference League Betting Markets
With every new competition comes plenty of exciting betting markets, some of which are:
A wager on which team will win the trophy. This will be available both before and after the competition starts.
Best bookie for outright winner: Unibet
With so many games taking place within a few hours on Thursday nights, an ambitious accumulator bet may well be worth a shot. This is comprised of multiple selections that are combined into one bet, giving you greater odds in the process. Look out for accumulator offers – many bookies have started offering acca insurance type bets where your stake is given back to you as a free bet if one selection falls short, as well as acca odds boosts.
Best bookie for accumulator betting: BetVictor
Asian Handicap Market
This is especially useful when for matches with a stark difference in quality. Using the Asian handicap market, each team can be given a certain number of goal handicaps.
If you’re backing the favourite, you can boost the odds by giving them a minus handicap, meaning they’ll have to win by more than 1 goal for your bet to be successful. If you flip it on its head, you can back the underdog with a plus handicap, meaning they’ll have to avoid losing by more than 1 goal for you to win.
Best bookie for asian handicap betting: STSBet
A bet on which player will score the highest number of goals throughout the competition. With so many obscure names taking part, this won’t be an easy market to predict. Looking into the domestic records of the top goalscorer for every team could shed some light on where the value lies, however.
Best bookie for top goalscorer betting: Coral
Tip: We recommend using Kickform for Football Tips, Predictions and odds.
UEFA Europa Conference League Betting FAQs
Which betting sites are best for UEFA Europa Conference League?
When will the first edition of the Europa Conference League take place?
Qualifiers will begin on the 8th of July 2021, while the proper tournament will begin on the 16th of September of the same year. The final will take place on 25th May 2022 at the National Arena in Tirana, Albania.
When will games be played?
On the same Thursday nights as the Europa League, with games evenly split between the 17:45 GMT and 20:00 GMT slots.
How many teams will take part?
A total of 32 teams will contest the final tournament.
What will the winner of the tournament receive?
The winner will be awarded with a place in the following year’s Europa League group stage unless they have already qualified for the Champions League.
ThePuntersPage Final Say
As if the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League weren’t already enough, the UEFA Conference League is set to give us even more live action to look forward to. While it’s great to see the same giant clubs going toe-to-toe year in year out, we’re looking forward to discovering what Europe’s lower leagues have in store. Punters are always on the lookout for new opportunities to pounce on – and this competition might just be what they’ve been waiting for.