King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes is one of the most famous flat races in the sporting calendar, so you can be certain that all horse racing fans have already set their alarms for July 23rd. Below, we take a look at how to maximise your King George Stakes betting potential for one of the worlds’ most spectacular horse races.
- Tournament Structure for King George VI Stakes
- Best Betting Sites for King George Stakes
- Best Betting Sites for King George Stakes – Top 5 Ranked
- King George Stakes Odds, Tips, Promotions & Predictions
- 5 Reasons To Bet on King George Stakes
- Betting Sites With King George VI Live Streaming
- Popular King George Stakes Betting Markets
- History of King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes
- Similar Tournaments To King George Stakes
- Upcoming Sporting Events
- King George Stakes Betting FAQs
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
Tournament Structure for King George VI Stakes
The King George Cup Ascot takes place over the course of a weekend, 22 – 23 July 2022, with a total of seven races on each day. Though the race card for Friday hasn’t yet been announced, we do know that the main racing event will take place at 15.35 pm on Saturday.
- 11:00 am: Gates open
- 1:15 pm: First race
- 3:35 pm: King George VI and Queen Elisabeth QIPCO Stakes
- 5:20 pm: Last race
The King George Race Ascot is one of the richest UK horse races with the total purse from the main sponsor, the Qatar Investments & Projects Development Holding Company, of £1.25 million. The first-place winner receives £708,875.
If you plan on attending and joining the crowd of around 15,000 attendees, be aware that there’s a dress code. In all areas, apart from the Queen Anne stand, women must be in skirts below the knee and are encouraged to wear hats. Men are required to wear a collared shirt and tie along with a jacket. Ascot Racecourse does not permit replica sports shirts, training shoes, or bare chests.
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ - Offer for new customers at bet365. Min deposit requirement. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits and are available for use upon settlement of bets to value of qualifying deposit. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New customers only. Opt in, bet £10 at odds 2.00+ within 7 days, no cashout. Get 3x £10 Free Bets, set events at odds 2.00+. Plus a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw max £250. Plus 100 Free Spins. 100 Free Spins have no wagering. Bonuses and Spins expire in 7 days. Card payments only. Please Gamble Responsibly. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New customers only. Place your FIRST bet on any sportsbook market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £20. Only deposits made using cards or Apple Pay will qualify for this promotion. T&Cs apply. Paddy's Rewards Club: Get a £10 free bet when you place 5x bets of £10+. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first 5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4x 5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. No cashout, restrictions + Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply. See full terms below. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
Best Betting Sites for King George Stakes – Top 5 Ranked
King George Stakes Odds, Tips, Promotions & Predictions
The King George Stakes is an open-age flat race that’s run over a mile and a half. For sports bettors, it’s a great opportunity to enjoy the Sport of Kings.
King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes Betting Odds 2022
|Torquator Tasso||7/1||William Hill|
Betting Tips & Predictions for King George VI Stakes in 2022
- At the time of writing, there are a total of 15 horses on the race cards. But this field will be further reduced at the 5-day confirmation stage, as well as at the 48-hour decelerations. Being 3-year-old colts, Desert Crown, Westover, and Stone Age will have an 11lb weight-for-age allowance.
- Running just 2.5 lengths behind Desert Crown in the Derby was Westover. With the Sandown Classic Trial win, a 3rd place in the Epsom Derby and a massive 7-length win in the Irish Derby, he has great form. His trainer, Ralph Beckett said after the surprise Irish Derby win, “He′s a big horse and still a work in progress. He′s going to get better with age” - meaning this is a horse to keep your eye on, with odds of 5/4.
- The bay colt, Desert Crown, is the second favourite after Westover (7/4). Sir Michael Stoute′s champion crushed the competition at the Derby and has 3 wins from 3 starts. Desert Crown has certainly been earning his keep with total winnings of over £1 million.
- The German thoroughbred Torquator Tasso (7/1) is a 4-year-old colt. Probably the biggest upset was when he won the Prix de l′Arc de Triomphe in 2021, racing on heavy ground at Longchamp Racecourse. He started as the 72/1 outsider and won by ¾ of a length. Named German Horse of the Year 2021, he′s amassed winnings of over £2.9 million.
- Unfortunately, the King George Ascot 2021 winner Adayar will miss the defence of her title due to fitness concerns. It′s also been announced that another favourite of the bookies at 16/1, Emily Upjohn, will be heading to the Irish Oaks instead of Ascot.
King George Stakes Betting Promotions 2022
5 Reasons To Bet on King George Stakes
- With 15 of the top racehorses and jockeys of the world in the same race, it offers a huge range of exceptional betting opportunities.
- All the major bookmakers will have special betting offers along with some very tempting free bets, free odds, and even free cash.
- You are betting on one of the most prestigious flat races in the world.
- Because the King George Stakes takes less than 2.5 minutes, the betting results come in faster than with most sports, meaning that it is a much more exhilarating experience.
- For a real old-fashioned feel, you can still place your bets at the racetrack.
Betting Sites With King George VI Live Streaming
Popular King George Stakes Betting Markets
If you’re new to the world of horse race betting, the number of different betting markets available can make your head spin. So, let’s have a look at the most popular bets offered by all major bookmakers and see how they function.
Single Win Bet
By far the most common horse racing bet. Simply put, you bet on a horse to win. The minimum bets can be as low as £1, with the maximum wagers varying depending on the bookmaker. Single win bets have the longest odds, though do offer the largest payouts of any straight bets. An example would be a horse running at 40/1 – a successful £100 wager would receive a payout of £4,100. In truth, these are difficult bets to win as the odds of a single horse winning are relatively small due to the level of competition.
Choose one horse to finish first OR second place. There must be at least eight horses in the race in order to have a third-place dividend. A Place bet pays out less than a win bet, usually around ¼ of the odds of a win bet. Traditionally, these are written as fractions: 1/5 or 1/4 (one-fifth or one-quarter). With a single win bet, a horse might have won you £60. But with a place bet with place odds of 1/4, you would win just £15.
Your horse must finish either first, second, or third. Because this is one of the safest horse racing bets you can make, it pays out the lowest return. If, for example you make a £2 show bet with odds of 1/9, your potential winnings are just £2.22. The payout remains the same providing your horse finishes in the top three places. Keep in mind that the show odds are only a fraction of the win odds. So, if you want to be profitable, you’ll need a bigger number of winners.
You need to choose the horses that will finish in first and second place, and in the correct order. Start with choosing the two strongest contenders, and then pick one to place first and the other second. This is a single bet on both horses together, as opposed to an individual wager on each horse. Normally, the minimum stake is just £1. Take note that the winnings on an Exacta bet are unlimited as all winning tickets will share in a pool of all the wagers collected. An example would be in the 2009 Kentucky Derby, where a 50-1 runner beat the favourite for a massive $2,074.60 payout on a $2 bet.
A popular two-part bet: one part goes towards the selection to win, the other to the selection to place. Keep in mind this wager will cost you double the amount of a traditional Win bet. Imagine you bet £5 each-way on an 8/1 runner, at ¼ odds for the first three places. If the horse wins, you collect £60. If it places, you’ll receive £15. You can’t place an each-way bet with less than five runners. If there are five, six, or seven runners, there will be two places to bet on; each-way on a horse that finishes first or second, at 1/4 odds. With more than eight horses, the odds change to 1/5 on the first three-placed runners.
History of King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes
The first King George Ascot was run on July 21st, 1951, as part of the Festival of Britain. The race was an amalgamation of two separate races; “The King George” which was previously held in October, and “The Queen Elizabeth,” held in honour of the King’s wife, which was in July.
The idea behind the event was to create an international race over one mile, three furlongs and 211 yards (2,406 metres) for horses 3 years and older. It’s run on turf at the right-handed track at Ascot in Berkshire, England, and takes place every year in July.
Recent King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes Winners
|2021||Adayar||William Buick||Charlie Appleby|
|2020||Enable||Frankie Dettori||John Gosden|
|2019||Enable||Frankie Dettori||John Gosden|
|2018||Poet’s Word||James Doyle||Michael Stoute|
|2017||Enable||Frankie Dettori||John Gosden|
|2016||Highland Reel||Ryan Moore||Aiden O’Brien|
|2015||Postponed||Andrea Atzeni||Luca Cumani|
|2014||Taghrooda||Paul Hanagan||John Gosden|
|2013||Novellist||Johnny Murtagh||Andreas Wohler|
|2012||Danedream||Andrasch Starke||Peter Schiergen|
King George Stakes Key Stats
- The most successful horse is Enable, with wins in 2017, 2019, and 2020.
- Lester Piggott and Frankie Dettori are the leading jockeys, each having seven wins.
- The winning horse is automatically invited to the Breeders’ Turf Cup.
- Nijinsky, Mill Reef, and Shergar are some of the most famous winners.
- Ascot racecourse was founded in 1711 by Queen Anne.
- Novellist holds the track record time of 2 minutes, 24 seconds.
Similar Tournaments To King George Stakes
- 15-18 March 2022, Cheltenham Festival, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire: The highlight of the National Hunt Season is a four-day festival of Grade One action. With 28 races taking part over 4 days at the Cheltenham Racecourse in Gloucester, you’ll find thrilling steeplechase, hurdles, and flat racing. The main Gold Cup prize is worth £625,000.
- 7-9 April 2022, The Grand National, Aintree, Liverpool: With a prize of £1 million, this is probably the most recognised horse race in the world. The Aintree Racecourse near Liverpool is one of the toughest, with 30 fences being tackled by 40 runners.
- 3-4 June 2022, Epsom Derby Festival, Epsom, Surrey: This features two great British thoroughbred classics, The Oaks and The Derby. In total, this is the UK’s richest race with a combined pot of £15 million. These two flat races are run over 1 mile, 4 furlongs and 10 yards over the Epsom Downs in Surrey. It’s a test of strength, speed, and stamina.
- 14-18 June 2022, Royal Ascot, Ascot, Surrey: As much as a showcase for glamour, luxury, fashion and pageantry, each day sees the Queen in attendance. Royal Ascot is steeped in history and enjoys a rich heritage. There’s world-class racing action with the Queen Anne Stakes, The Gold Cup, and The Prince of Wales Stakes. You’ll find a mixture of both jump and flat racing.
- 7-10 September 2022, St. Leger Festival, Doncaster, Yorkshire: This is the oldest classic horse race in the UK. It features the famous St. Leger stakes with a prize of £700,000. All the countries leading stables vie to take part. An old racing saying states, “The fastest horse wins the Guineas: the luckiest the Derby – and the best horse wins the St Leger".
Upcoming Sporting Events
King George Stakes Betting FAQs
Many of the top bookmakers listed above will offer a live stream of the event.
Saturday, 23 July 2022, at Ascot Racecourse, Berkshire in the UK.
The total prize pool is £1.25 million, with the winner’s share being £708,875.
Do your homework: amongst other things, look at past racing history, the racecourse, the effects of ground conditions, the jockey, the other runners, and the weather forecast.
Odds are the amount of profit vs. the amount invested. For example, odds of 7/2 mean that for every £2 bet, there’s a potential £7 in returns.
The least complicated option would be any straight bet.
Start by dividing your total wager by the number of horses in the dead heat. Multiply the result by the odds given when you initially placed the bet.
ThePuntersPage Final Say
The King George Stakes represents all that’s great about UK horse racing; spending summer days enjoying champagne and strawberries whilst watching one of the season's most prestigious races is an unforgettable experience.
We hope that the information we've provided in this guide will help you maximise your King George Stakes betting potential. Good luck!