The Sony Open in Hawaii is a mid-January staged, FedEx Cup Series ranking, professional golfing event for players on the PGA Tour. Unlike many golf tournaments, this event has stayed at the same golf course, the Waialae Country Club in Honolulu, Hawaii, since its inception in 1965. Today, this event is the first full-field event of the golfing calendar to run in the new year, meaning that golf punters can enjoy some post-Christmas wagering with Sony Open betting.
- Tournament Structure for the Sony Open Hawaii
- Best Betting Sites for the Sony Open Hawaii
- Best Bookies for Hawaii Sony Open – Top 5 Ranked
- Sony Open Hawaii Betting Odds, Promotions, Tips & Predictions
- 5 Reasons to Bet on the Sony Open Hawaii
- Sony Open Hawaii Betting Sites With Live Streaming
- Popular Sony Open Hawaii Betting Markets
- History of the Sony Open Hawaii
- Recent Sony Open Hawaii Winners
- Sony Open Hawaii Key Stats
- Upcoming Sporting Events
- Similar Tournaments to the Sony Open Hawaii
- Sony Open Betting FAQs
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
Tournament Structure for the Sony Open Hawaii
- The Sony Open Hawaii takes place each year in the middle of January and is held at the Waialae Country Club in Honolulu, Hawaii, USA. Going off so early in the year means that this is the first fully participated PGA event of the new season. The first event of the season also takes place in Hawaii on the island of Maui and is called the Sentry Tournament of Champions, but this is limited to tournament winners from the previous season. Somewhat uniquely, the Sony Open has the power to invite as many as three emerging professional golfers of their choosing, which is how Michelle Wie first played this event when she was just 14 years old.
- Especially for this event, the front and back nines are switched around at the Waialae Country Club so that the 18th and final hole actually becomes the ninth, which contains a dogleg bend. The Sony Hawaii Open begins, as do all golf tournaments, on a Thursday, and finishes on the following Sunday. On each of the four days running from Thursday through Sunday, each of the golfers in the field will play a full round of golf over 18 holes.
- After 36 have been played by the close of play on the Friday, a cut is enforced in order to trim the field of players. Those that remain in the competition will play the final two days, finishing on Sunday. Once all of the golfers have finished on Sunday’s final day, the player who has amassed the highest below-par score is the winner of the Sony Hawaii Open. On occasions, stroke play golf tournaments such as this one can end in a draw between players tied on the same par, in which case a three hole playoff is employed in order to split the tied players and determine a winner.
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New customers only. Place your FIRST bet on any sportsbook market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £20. Only deposits made using cards or Apple Pay will qualify for this promotion. T&Cs apply. Paddy's Rewards Club: Get a £10 free bet when you place 5x bets of £10+. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ Min deposit requirement. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits and are available for use upon settlement of bets to value of qualifying deposit. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
*New UK customers (Excluding NI) only. Mobile exclusive. Min stake £10. Min odds Evs. Free bet applied on 1st settlement of any qualifying bet. 30 days to qualify. Free bets expire in 7 days. Cashed out/Free Bets won’t apply. Payment method restrictions. 1 Free Bet offer per customer, household & IP Address only. 18+. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ | New UK players only | Min deposit req. £10 | Certain deposit methods excluded | Place 1 sport bet (3+ selections) | Excl Horse Racing | Min stake £10 | Max stake £20 | Min Odds 1/5 (1.5) for each selection | Max FreeBet £20 for football only | FreeBet valid for 7 days| FreeBet stake not returned | Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ | New players only | Min deposit req. £10 ; excludes deposits via PayPal | Max stake £10 | Min Odds 1/1 (2.0) | Max FreeBet £10 | Excl Horse Racing | Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
Best Bookies for Hawaii Sony Open – Top 5 Ranked
#1 Paddy Power
Sony Open Hawaii Betting Odds, Promotions, Tips & Predictions
The provisional dates for the 2023 Sony Open in Hawaii are the 9th-15th January, with the tournament taking place as usual at the Waialae Country Club in Honolulu. We will post any updates or changes here when they are available.
Sony Open Winner Odds
We will publish the odds for the 2023 Sony Open in Hawaii when they are available.
Sony Open Hawaii Betting Tips & Predictions 2023
Our expert tips and predictions will be added here closer to the start date of the tournament.
Sony Open Hawaii Betting Promotions 2023
- At BoyleSports, golf betting can be very rewarding, as they offer a great welcome offer that gives £20 in free bets to newcomers who bet an initial £10 when they first sign up.
- At William Hill, punters can find very valuable golf odds, together with a bet £10 get £30 welcome offer – making them a great Sony Open betting site.
5 Reasons to Bet on the Sony Open Hawaii
- This is the first full field event of the golfing year.
- It has a prize fund of $6.6 million.
- It’s the 2nd leg of the Hawaiian Swing.
- The world’s best golfers are just getting into the swing of the new year.
- It is a hugely prestigious event.
Sony Open Hawaii Betting Sites With Live Streaming
- William Hill
Popular Sony Open Hawaii Betting Markets
Golf is an amazing bettor’s sport with a ton of options to take advantage of. One of the truly great things about golf betting is that, because the entry numbers are so vast, there is always value to be had – even on the tournament favourites. Moreover, because of the tournament formats, betting markets will open up based on two- or three-ball betting, or even certain players making or missing the cut, for example. As we said – a bettor’s dream, and with any luck, an online bookmaker’s nightmare.
Outright Winner Betting
Outright tournament betting doesn’t change from sport to sport, but some are easier to predict than others. The main purpose of the bet remains the same, though: to successfully predict the winning player – in this case, the golfer that wins the Sony Open by amassing the best score after 72 holes have been played. Even for beginners, betting doesn’t get simpler than this; however, if you are completely new to all of this, here’s a useful guide on how to place a bet.
Best Sony Open betting site for Outright Winner: Coral
First Round Leader Betting
As is quite common in golf, a player can race ahead on day one only to stutter and fall back on the following days. Fortunately, for the purposes of this bet, this wouldn’t matter if it happened to your pick. All that is required for your bet to pay out is for your selection to be on top of the Sony Open in Hawaii leaderboard at the end of play on the first day. If he falters after that, that’s his bad luck and not yours.
Best Sony Open betting site for First Round Leader: BetVictor
To Make the Cut Betting
Another great Sony Open betting option is to bet on someone making or missing out on the cut. The cut is a golfing term where the field of players is trimmed after two days' play, with any struggling players removed from the tournament. This bet tends to pay better if a well-known and high-ranking player that is expected to make the cut doesn’t, or if a low-ranking player not expected to make the cut does. One way to successfully gauge the best up and coming outsiders is to follow the very best betting tips.
Best Sony Open betting site for making or missing the cut: Unibet
Top 5, Top 10, Top 20 Finish Betting
Another way to bet on the Sony Hawaii Open is to place a wager on a player finishing among a certain number of places from the top. This could be as big as a top 20 finish or as small as a top five finish. As long as your pick manages to finish in the top number of players that you stated in your bet, then the wager is a winner. It does not matter where they finish so long as it’s in your allotted amount. It is worth noting that this is not the same as an each-way bet.
Best Sony Open betting site for top 5, 10, 20 finish: Betfair
History of the Sony Open Hawaii
Recent Sony Open Hawaii Winners
|2021||Kevin Na||United States|
|2019||Matt Kuchar||United States|
|2018||Patton Kizzire||United States|
|2017||Justin Thomas||United States|
|2015||Jimmy Walker||United States|
|2014||Jimmy Walker||United States|
|2013||Russell Henley||United States|
|2012||Johnson Wagner||United States|
|2011||Mark Wilson||United States|
Sony Open Hawaii Key Stats
- In 2017, Justin Thomas broke three records from the second round onwards, posting the 18-hole record (59), the 36-hole record (123), the 54-hole record (188) and, of course, the tournament record of 253.
- Of the Sony Open past winners, only Hubert Green, Corey Pavin, Lanny Wadkins, Ernie Els and Jimmy Walker have all won this competition twice.
- In 1983, Isao Aoki won the Sony Hawaii Open and, in doing so, became the first ever PGA Tour winner from Japan.
- Just four days after his 16th birthday, Tadd Fujikawa made the cut at the Sony Open in Hawaii in 2007, becoming the second youngest player to ever achieve that feat in an official PGA Tour event.
- In 2003, a local 14-year-old Michelle Wie entered this PGA event but sadly missed the cut.
Upcoming Sporting Events
Similar Tournaments to the Sony Open Hawaii
- 3rd – 6th February 2022, AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Held annually in February on three separate golf courses in California, this event features amateur participation.
- 10th – 13th February 2022, Phoenix Open: A real fan favourite on the PGA Tour and another early season event.
- 17th – 20th February 2022, Genesis Open: Following on from the two above and another part of the West Coast Swing, this Californian PGA event takes place in late February each year.
Sony Open Betting FAQs
The PGA Sony Hawaii Golf Open takes place, and always has, at Hawaii’s Waialae Country Club, which is located in Honolulu.
The Waialae Country Club is a par-72 championship course, and is played at 7,125 yards.
Yes, this is a common golf bet. However, remember that in the past decade only two non-Americans have won the event.
ThePuntersPage Final Say
The Sony Hawaii Golf Open is enjoyed by many golf punters looking to place a few early-season golf wagers. While not technically the first PGA tournament of the year, the Sony Hawaii Open golf tournament is the first to go off with a full field.
The event follows on from the Sentry Tournament of Champions which has a field of competitors that is completely restricted to tournament winners from the previous PGA season. This means there are more options for Hawaii Sony Open betting, such as betting on rookie golfers, for example.
Of course, Sony Hawaii Open betting also offers all the usual markets and options, making this a great golfing occasion and an awesome way to fully kick off the new PGA season, as well as the new year of sport calendar in general.