Maryland sports betting is thriving after lawmakers gave the green light for online sportsbooks to open there in November 2022. Here, we break down all you need to know about online sports gambling in the Free State, including all the legalities, top sportsbooks available, as well as markets available for you to bet on.
- Is Sports Betting Legal in Maryland?
- Sports Betting Revenue & Taxation in Maryland
- Comparison of TOP Sportsbooks
- Best Sports Betting Apps in Maryland
- Maryland Sports Betting Promotions
- Popular Types of Bets
- Local Team Sports Where To Bet On
- Famous Sports Events in Maryland 2023
- Maryland Sports Betting Timeline
- In Which States Is Betting On Sports Legal?
- Maryland Sports Betting FAQs
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
Is Sports Betting Legal in Maryland?
Sports betting in Maryland has been legal since November 2022. Residents were given the option whether to permit the activity after the United States Supreme Court repealed the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of 1992.
The locals opted to allow sports betting in the Free State, and once legalization was agreed locally in April 2021, the first retail sportsbook opened eight months later. However, it took more time for online sports betting to be given the green light as operators were forced to wait almost another year for permission to open their online betting sites.
Once lawmakers finalized the agreement, operators such as DraftKings1 and FanDuel were able to open their sites for registrations in the region for Maryland sports betting2. DraftKings, FanDuel, and BetMGM — among others — all have licenses granted through the Maryland Lottery and Gaming Control Agency.
These operators have already enjoyed strong presence in the state through their brick-and-mortar venues. They since brought their stellar sportsbooks into Maryland, offering users all the perks of their markets, odds and promotions, as well as other impressive features.
There's a wide variety of sports available when betting in Maryland, including college sports, and almost every event is available through the leading sportsbooks in the region. Betting here has already taken off dramatically with reports of record revenue figures for the top operators, which is also good news for the Free State due to tax regulation.
Up to 10 sportsbooks are operational in Maryland, but the regulation from the state allows up to 47 retail sportsbooks and 60 online sportsbooks to operate in the region. So, we should expect more sportsbooks to move into Maryland in the future.
Present & Future of Maryland Sports Betting
Maryland sports betting is legal and has been operational since 2021. Retail sportsbooks were the first to open, with DraftKings, FanDuel and BetMGM among the first to open venues in the Free State. Once online sports gambling was permitted, operators immediately launched their betting site and app in the region.
The regulations are simple for all residents to follow: bettors must be over the age of 21 and physically located in Maryland to bet online. Nothing has changed in regard to these regulations since they were passed in 2021, and will probably not change any time soon.
The industry is thriving in Maryland as a new state record was set in March 2023, with nearly $386 million in handle. It has continually grown since online sports betting was approved by the Maryland Lottery & Gaming Control Agency in November 2022.
Legalisation is currently being discussed to ensure that all betting partnerships at colleges are made public to protect the integrity of all sports. Further licenses have been approved to allow Super Book Sportsbook and Queens Sportsbook to operate in the Free State in the future.
Sports Betting Revenue & Taxation in Maryland
You do need to pay tax on your sports betting earnings in Maryland, the amount depending on your overall income. Your gambling winnings are collected through your state and federal taxes. The state tax in Maryland ranges between 2% and 5.75%, while there is also 24% withholding tax on all your gambling winnings.
Your taxable net income for an average single person starts with 2% at $1,000 and meets a threshold after earnings of $250,000, which is taxed up to 5.75% with a starting levy of $12,760. So, you will need to keep a record of your gambling winnings, however big or small. However, bear in mind that the tax on your winnings will be relative to your overall earnings.
The sportsbooks are taxed at a rate of 13% for both retail and online, which is significantly lower than some other states in the country. New York and Rhode Island's tax rate, for instance, is above 50%.
Where to Place Sports Bets in Maryland?
Comparison of TOP Sportsbooks
Maryland has 10 active sportsbooks in the region, but these three sportsbooks stand out from the rest of the field due to the overall quality of their product online.
One of the most recognizable brands in the sports betting industry, DraftKings has brought its outstanding sportsbook to Maryland. Users can expect to see a wide range of betting markets available for all sports across the board.
Its coverage of the top four sports in the United States is outstanding, with hundreds of betting markets available pre-game for all bet types, including moneyline, props, spreads, and totals. DraftKings also offers futures markets throughout the calendar year, ensuring that there is always a sports bet available for one of the leading four sports.
If you want to bet on the NFL, NBA, NHL, or MLB, DraftKings is one of the best places to be, offering excellent value on its betting odds across the board.
Given the healthy competition between Maryland sportsbooks, the leading operators will try to increase the value given to users. DraftKings is particularly noteworthy in the value it provides on its odds for the NFL.
The true strength of its product is the range of its markets and sports covered. As easily as you can find odds for the NFL or NBA, you can also find top odds for handball or cricket. DraftKings carries markets and odds for esports for titles including DOTA 2, Call of Duty, and League of Legends.
This bookie also offers an outstanding range of betting promotions, which can include bonus bets, profit boosts, and odds boosts across all sports, but particularly around the four major sports in the US. Their welcome offer for new customers is also great, with a deposit bonus 100% worth up to $1,000.
DraftKings has a great range of features online, such as cash-outs and same-game parlays. On the downside, one issue is the lack of livestreaming available to watch NFL and NBA games online — compared to its rivals, DraftKings has fallen behind in this regard.
Overall, DraftKings is one of the premier sportsbooks around, but still needs to fine-tune a few issues to make it stand apart from its rivals.
- Outstanding range of betting markets
- Offers premium value on odds for top sports
- Great betting site for functionality
- Innovative promotions and offers
- No live streaming
FanDuel is one of the best sportsbooks around, recognizable due to its look and notable daily fantasy game, and its clean aesthetics make navigating straightforward.
You’ll see straight away that there are extensive betting markets available for a wide range of sports. FanDuel ensures that it matches DraftKings in that regard, not only covering the major US sports, but also focusing on niche options such as Aussie rules and handball.
There are hundreds of betting markets available for the leading sports, ensuring you’ve got more than enough options for wagering online on the NBA, NFL, MLB and NHL. FanDuel offers great value on all of its markets, and even provides no juice odds for certain sports, allowing them to beat out their rivals on prices.
Look out for these markets for NBA betting, which is where FanDuel excels. It stands out from the crowd with its NBA product that includes special markets, features and promotions.
FanDuel appeals to new customers with a compelling sign-up bonus. The offers continue for existing customers with regular odds and profit boosts, as well bonus bets that are readily available for wagering on the NBA, NFL, and more.
FanDuel has outstanding live betting markets that provide the same range of wagers that would be available pre-game. Of course, the bookie offers same-game parlays for a variety of sports, allowing users to build wagers from one game.
Perhaps the element that gives it a slight edge over DraftKings is its livestreaming product, which gives users the opportunity to watch NHL games along with other sports such as European soccer. FanDuel has embraced the community feel of wagering and even has its own channel to offer betting tips.
FanDuel just has the edge over DraftKings for its overall betting experience online, although there isn't a huge difference between the two at the top of the industry.
- Tremendous betting app
- Great value on betting odds
- Regular promotions available
- Offers are too generic
BetMGM Sportsbook offers Maryland users an impressive product to use without the fine touches provided by its rivals. It has a brilliant reputation in the United States due its roots in Las Vegas and the BetMGM Grand Hotel, boasting one of the best gambling venues in Sin City. Its sportsbook does not disappoint, with a wide array of sports and betting markets.
BetMGM has the scope to match FanDuel and DraftKings, covering all of the leading sports to the fine details, as you would expect. There are ample betting markets for wagers on the NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB.
It also covers soccer, golf and tennis to a high standard, ensuring that bettors are not disappointed. Moreover, you can also expect markets for cricket, badminton and table tennis; but unlike FanDuel and DraftKings, you won't be able to find betting for esports.
BetMGM strives to offer the same value as you’ll find on DraftKings and FanDuel across all betting markets. Whether you’re betting on the moneyline, props, spreads or totals, you know you’re getting bang for your buck.
BetMGM provides good promotions that are visible straight away on its front page, starting with its welcome offer of a $1,000 sign-up bonus. You’ll also find frequent odds boosts as a regular customer, along with other promotions that can be geared around in-state teams such as the Baltimore Ravens and Washington Wizards.
This bookie’s standout feature is its livestreaming service that allows users to watch NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB games. Few sportsbooks can match the quality of this product, making BetMGM the place to be if you can’t watch the game in front of the television.
While you won't find the same look and feel as you would on FanDuel and DraftKings (which does let the product down slightly), BetMGM is an excellent operator to choose for betting in Maryland if you’re only focused on betting.
- Excellent live streaming product
- Good coverage of all sports
- Competitive value across the board
- Betting site not as eye-pleasing
- Lack of bonus bets compared to rivals
Best Sports Betting Apps in Maryland
FanDuel has the best app in the business, offering seamless functionality across Android and Apple devices, thus allowing users to place bets and navigate the app with ease. FanDuel’s app is designed perfectly for users on the go. If you wish to bet on fantasy sports, you will need a separate app, but that is also extremely well designed. FanDuel aesthetics set it apart from its rivals and you should rarely have issues regarding its speed or reliability.
DraftKings has a top betting app that allows users to access its sportsbook and fantasy product in one place. The only issue that it has compared to FanDuel is the aesthetics, which are not quite as clean and easy on the eye. Still, DraftKings’ app has sound functionality across Apple and Android devices. The speed and reliability are also not a problem, ensuring that you have an enjoyable mobile betting experience.
BetMGM Sportsbook has a solid app, but does not quite have the look and feel of FanDuel and DraftKings. It’s not quite as straightforward to use and can feel a little bit more of a challenge to find your betting markets and odds compared to the others. BetMGM has no problems with functionality across devices, and speed and reliability issues are few and far between.
Maryland Sports Betting Promotions
The best sportsbooks in Maryland provide excellent promotions for new customers to secure when joining online. Here are the best currently available in the Free State.
- DraftKings – DraftKings offers new users in Maryland the chance to secure a 20% deposit bonus worth up to $1,000. Customers can unlock their bonus after placing their deposit by entering bets to secure the playthrough offer.
- FanDuel – FanDuel gives users the chance to secure $150 in bonus bets for signing up online and placing a $10 deposit. New customers then have to bet $5 on any sport, and whatever the outcome of the bet, they’ll receive $150 in bonus bets within three days.
- BetMGM – BetMGM offers new customers up to $1,000 in bonus bets if their first wager fails. By signing up online and placing a deposit of at least $10, your first bet will be guaranteed up to $1,000 should your selection fail. If your first bet fails, you’ll receive the value of your first wager back within 48 hours to use as bonus bets across the sportsbook.
Popular Types of Bets
There are a litany of bets available on the top sportsbooks in Maryland, with the chance to wager on thousands of markets on almost every sport you can think of. Let's take a look at the most popular bets available online.
- Moneyline – A moneyline bet is as simple as they come. All you have to do is bet on the team or person you think will win the event. For example, in a game between the Baltimore Ravens and the Kansas City Chiefs, if you pick the Ravens to win and they are successful, you’ll win your stake back and the value of the odds in profit.
- Spread – The spread gives values to two teams in a game, where one is classed as the favorite and the other the underdog. The favorite needs to beat the spread points value to win, while if the underdog loses by less than the amount or even wins the game, they’re successful. For instance, the Baltimore Ravens may be the underdog against the Kansas City Chiefs. As a result, they’re handed a +2.5 value, whereas the Chiefs as the favorite are handed -2.5. This means if the Ravens win or lose by less than two points, a bet on the Ravens is successful. If the Chiefs win by three or more points, a wager on Kansas City is successful.
- Totals (over/unders) – Totals are a popular bet and very simple to understand. A value will be given to any event in a game, and all you have to do is bet whether the correct value will be over or under the sportsbook’s line. Let's say the Baltimore Ravens total points value against the Chiefs will be 20.5. You have to decide whether their points tally will be 21 points or more, or 20 points or less. These bets are available for a wide range of events in a game, including yards, runs, goals, sacks, steals, interceptions, touchdowns, and many more.
- Prop – This is a bet on whether an event will occur, and can be based on absolutely anything about the game you’re betting on. For instance, you’ll be posed a question, will the Ravens score a touchdown in the first quarter? All you have to do is pick yes or no. If you pick correctly, you’ll win your bet.
- Parlays – Parlay bets allow you to combine several betting markets from different games and place them into one big wager. It increases the value of your odds, but comes at a greater risk given the amount variables involved. These bets are common on NFL Sundays or for a big slate of NBA games on one night.
- Single-Game Parlays – This bet works in the same way as a parlay, but instead of using markets from different games, you use markets from one game into one large bet. If you know your team extremely well, this is a good wager to pick.
- Teasers – Teaser bets are similar to parlays. Here, you pick different spreads from different games to place into one large teaser bet. You can adjust the lines from different games to improve the value of your odds, but again it comes with a greater risk.
- Futures – Futures bets are placed on events that are taking place in the future in the season or a calendar year. It can be based on teams or a person, such as Super Bowl winner or MVP winner among many others. The earlier you place your bet, the better value you’ll receive, but it does come with a risk based on performance and injuries, so pick carefully.
Local Team Sports Where To Bet On
Maryland is home to a number of professional sports teams and two notable college sides. The Baltimore Ravens and the Washington Commanders are the most recognizable teams due to their exploits in the NFL.
The Ravens are two-time Super Bowl winners, most recently in the 2012 season, while the Commanders have won the crown three times, the last of which came in 1991. The Baltimore Orioles represent the Free State in the MLB, while the Washington Wizards still represent the region in the NBA — although the franchise is classified as being in the District of Columbia.
The University of Maryland and Georgetown University compete in the NCAA in a variety of sports, including football and basketball.
*Odds provided by FanDuel Sportsbook
Famous Sports Events in Maryland 2023
|Baltimore Orioles MLB 2023 season||April 2023 – September 2023|
|Preakness Stakes||May 20th 2023|
|Baltimore Ravens NFL 2023 Season||September 2023 onwards|
|Washington Commanders NFL 2023 Season||September 2023 onwards|
|Washington Wizards NBA 2023/24 season||October 2023 onwards|
Maryland Sports Betting Timeline
- 14th May 2018 – United States Supreme Court Act repeals the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of 1992.
3rd November 2020 – Maryland residents vote in favour of the Sports Betting Expansion Measure with 67.07% in favour of the motion.
- 18th May 2021 – Maryland governor Larry Hogan signs into motion HB0940 permitting sports betting in the Free State.3
- 15th July 2021 – Sports betting is officially permitted in Maryland after regulations are agreed with lawmakers across the state.4
- 9th December 2021 – Retail betting goes live in Maryland, with five sportsbooks opening brick-and-mortar locations in the Free State, including DraftKings and FanDuel.
- 23rd November 2022 – Online sports betting goes live in Maryland after 10 sportsbooks are granted licenses by the Maryland Lottery and Gaming Control Agency.
- 20th January 2023 – Fanatics Maryland Sportsbook opens in FedEx Field, the home of the Washington Commanders, becoming the first NFL stadium to house a sportsbook.
- 17th April 2023 – SuperBook Sports Lounge launches in Camden Yards, home of the Baltimore Orioles, becoming one of the first MLB stadiums to host a sportsbook.
In Which States Is Betting On Sports Legal?
After the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of 1992 was repealed by the Supreme Court, the decision to legalize sports betting was placed into the hands of state lawmakers. As of May 2023, 35 states have agreed to legalize gambling on sports, but each state has their own regulations.
Here is a list of the states that have legalized the activity and to what degree.
- Arizona – Online and retail sports betting available.
- Arkansas – Online and retail sports betting available
- Colorado – Online and retail sports betting available
- Connecticut – Online and retail sports betting available
- Delaware – Online and retail sportsbooks legal, only retail available
- Illinois – Online and retail sports betting available
- Indiana – Online and retail sports betting available
- Iowa – Online and retail sports betting available
- Kansas – Online and retail sports betting available
- Louisiana – Online and retail sports betting available
- Maine – Legal, not launched
- Maryland – Online and retail sports betting available
- Massachusetts – Online and retail sports betting available
- Michigan – Online and retail sports betting available
- Mississippi – Online and retail sports betting available
- Montana – Sports betting is available through State Lottery
- Nebraska – Retail sports betting available
- Nevada – Online and retail sports betting available
- New Hampshire – Online and retail sports betting available
- New Jersey – Online and retail sports betting available
- New Mexico – Only retail sports betting available
- New York – Online and retail sports betting available
- North Carolina – Only retail sports betting available
- Ohio – Online and retail sports betting available
- Oregon – Online and retail sports betting available
- Pennsylvania – Online and retail sports betting available
- Rhode Island – Online and retail sports betting available
- South Dakota – Only retail sports betting available
- Tennessee – Only online sports betting available
- Virginia – Online and retail sports betting available
- Washington – Only retail sports betting available
- West Virginia – Online and retail sports betting available
- Wisconsin – Only retail sports betting available
- Wyoming – Online and retail sports betting available
It is crucial to understand the laws and regulations of each state to ensure that you can place your bets legally. The top sportsbooks all have GPS technology built into their apps, so you won't be able to place bets in a state that does not permit mobile wagering, even if you’re a resident of a state that has legalized sports betting.
Maryland Sports Betting FAQs
Yes. Sports betting was legalized in Maryland in 2021.
There are up to 10 operational sportsbooks in Maryland for online and retail sports betting.
The best online sportsbooks in Maryland are DraftKings, FanDuel, and BetMGM Sportsbook.
Yes. Bettors in Maryland are able to bet on college sports for both in-state and teams across the United States.
Yes. The top sportsbooks in Maryland offer a wide range of betting bonuses, including bonus bets, profit boosts, odds boosts and many more.
ThePuntersPage Final Say
Maryland sports betting has been thriving since online wagering was legalized in November 2022. The leading sportsbooks now have a presence in the region, and residents of the Free State can enjoy a diverse range of betting markets as well as great value on their odds.
After posting record figures in March 2023, the handle in Maryland will only increase as further sportsbooks open in the Free State over the course of the year.
1 www.draftkings.com. (n.d.). DraftKings Slated to Launch Online Sportsbook in Maryland on November 23. [online] Available at: https://www.draftkings.com/about/news/2022/11/draftkings-slated-to-launch-online-sportsbook-in-maryland-on-november-23/ [Accessed 9 May 2023].
2 Staff, 7News (2022). After long delay, online sports betting goes live in Maryland on Wednesday. [online] WJLA. Available at: https://wjla.com/news/local/sports-betting-online-goes-live-in-maryland-larry-hogan-gambling-dave-forman-american-gaming-association-mary-drexler-maryland-center-on-problem-gambling-thanksgiving-world-cup [Accessed 9 May 2023]. (4)
4 msa.maryland.gov. (n.d.). Sports Wagering Application Review Commission, Maryland. [online] Available at: https://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/26excom/html/33sportswager.html [Accessed 9 May 2023].