One of the best things about being able to bet online is the fact that there are so many sports available, and with that also great market availability. But you may be wondering which sports are the best to place your bets on to get the best return? And who are the top bookmakers in the US to place your bets? Check out our exclusive review below to find out.
- Our List of the Best Sports To Bet On
- Best Sports To Gamble On
- Best USA Betting Sites in 2023
- Are There Any Sport That are Easier To Bet On?
- What Are the Best Leagues To Bet On?
- What Makes a Sport the Best to Bet on?
- What Makes a Specific Sport Right for You?
- Sports to Bet on FAQ
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
Our List of the Best Sports To Bet On
There is an extensive list of reasons why one specific option may be considered among the best sports to place bets on. We are going to stick to which sports we think you will enjoy the most and explain why we think they are best.
With this point in mind, here is our list of the top ten best sports that you can bet on at your favorite sportsbooks.
1. American Football
American football offers the perfect blend of strategic depth and high-intensity that will have you on the edge of your seat. This is a major reason why many consider it to be the most enjoyable sport to bet on.
When it comes to American football, the NFL truly is king. The Superbowl is the biggest football game of the year and one of the most watched sporting events in the world annually.
An added bonus is that there are plenty of great bookmakers to pick from for placing your NFL bets. And, because it’s so popular you can find quality odds and great promotions at any given time the football is on.
- Excellent Superbowl coverage
- An impressive list of unique, and exciting betting markets
- A sport that continues to gain in popularity across the globe
- A lower volume of games than many other sports
Popular Betting Markets
- Superbowl Winner: This betting market speaks for itself. You pick who you think will be the winner of the Superbowl. Bringing home this title is the dream of every player who hits the field each season. Picking a winner at the start gives you an excellent reason to be invested in the season.
- NFL Draft Specials: NFL Draft Specials is an exciting market that gives you a chance to bet on the future of the sport with NFL Draft betting.
- Over/Under Points: Over/Under markets are one of the most exciting options out there. This is particularly the case when you have a high-scoring game on your hands, making it the perfect pick for American football. In this market, you predict the number of points that will be scored in total by the end of the game.
Soccer is another option that must be included in any list of the best sports to wager on. It is one of the most popular sports globally and has gained popularity in the US market in recent years.
There are a large number of prestigious leagues around the world such as the English Premier League, LaLiga, MLS and the UEFA Champions League.
Due to its popularity, there is a long list of competing bookmakers that are looking to grab your attention which means there are consistently great odds on major soccer events on any of the industry's leading bookmakers.
And, it doesn’t stop there – there are some of the most interesting and exciting markets on soccer matches, and plenty of great promotions to snap up.
- Massive selection of soccer events throughout the year
- The odds are extremely competitive
- Many of the most popular betting markets are available
- The number of available choices might be overwhelming
Popular Betting Markets
- First Goal Scorer: Here you can pick which player you believe will be the first to score. It is a great way to add excitement to the opening minutes of a match.
- Double Chance: There are three key options in the ‘To Win’ betting market,also known as a 1X2 market. These options include either of the two teams winning or a match resulting in a draw. The Double Chance market allows you to pick two options instead of one. This dramatically boosts your chance of winning.
- Both Teams to Score: The Both Teams to Score betting market is ideal if you are not sure which team to back. It is one of many betting markets where you can bet on what kind of match you think will happen rather than picking a winner.
Basketball is one of the most watched sports in the USA and has gained popularity around the world in recent decades. When the game is played at its highest level, its lightning-fast nature makes for pure entertainment. There is no better example of this than the National Basketball Association (NBA).
Basketball is a sport where a team’s fortunes can rapidly change in a short amount of time, and games are often decided at the buzzer. If you love sports where dramatic comebacks occur regularly, then NBA basketball is for you.
These factors make the NBA a lot of fun to watch, and they also make it a great sport to bet on. NBA betting is popular around the world.
Basketball is perfectly suited for a variety of prop and live bets. Beyond this, the fact that the league's teams have such established histories and play each other so often adds to the fun for gamblers who love to spend time going over the stats.
- Teams play each other regularly
- The games are often close till the buzzer
- Live betting pairs well with NBA basketball
- Live streaming is generally not available because of licensing rights
Popular Betting Markets
- Conference Winner: Place your bet on the team that you think will win either the NBA's Eastern or Western conference. This is a great market to combine with an overall NBA Finals winner pick.
- Quarter Winner: NBA games are divided into four quarters. You can create a game within a basketball game when you bet on which team you think will score the most points in a specific quarter.
- Race to 30 Points: This is an exciting betting market where you wager on who you think will be the first team to get to a set number of points. Even if the team doesn't win the overall game, you can still win your bet. 30 is just an example, as it could be for any set number of points.
Known as America’s pastime, baseball is recurringly one of the most popular sports in the United States. Major League Baseball (MLB) is one of the world’s most storied and established sports leagues.It is made up of teams that have long histories playing one another.
The sheer number of games in a baseball season, along with the fact that any team can win on any given day, makes it a great sport for punters to bet on.
It is important to note that baseball is a sport where most bets are Moneyline-based. Though run lines and prop bets are available, they are not as popular with punters. It is a great sport for gamblers who simply want to pick a winner for each game.
Most MLB seasons consist of more than 2,400 games. This means that there is ample opportunity for punters who obsess over breaking down stats to find opportunities to gain an edge with MLB betting.
- A long season adds up to plenty of betting opportunities
- A large number of games provides an opportunity for a variety of bets
- There is a wealth of data/information to track
- Baseball can be a highly unpredictable sport
Popular Betting Markets
- Moneylines: Moneylines are the most popular option chosen by punters who enjoy betting on MLB baseball. This involves placing a bet on who you think will win the game. It is popular to bet on underdogs within the Moneyline betting market as this can reap significant rewards in the case that they pull off a win.
- Totals (Over/Unders): In baseball betting, totals are based on the number of runs scored in a game. You can bet on whether the total number of runs will be over or under the number that was set by the oddsmakers.
- Live/In-Game Betting: Betting on a baseball game as it is playing out is a popular option for punters in the US and around the globe. The odds continually update as the game plays out providing plenty of opportunity to place bets late into the action.
Ice hockey is a fast-paced and aggressive sport that reigns supreme with fans in Canada and also enjoys a significant following in the United States as the country's fourth most followed sport. It is also a popular sport in Europe and is steadily gaining a following in other regions of the world.
With these points in mind, it is no surprise that hockey is a popular sport for betting, with the highlight being the National Hockey League (NHL).
- An excellent sport for live betting
- A great sport to bet on if you like to use statistics in making betting choices
- NHL teams have plenty of history to factor in when placing bets
- Betting on hockey can feel intimidating if you’re not well-versed in the sport
Popular Betting Markets
- Puck Line: A puck line bet in hockey is a type of point spread bet. These bets are fixed at +/-1.5 goals, given the low-scoring nature of the sport. Punters commonly bet on puck lines whenever the favorite is expected to win by two or more goals.
- Goaltending Bets: Goaltending bets are a strategy that involves wagering money on a team that is currently on a losing streak. These bets focus on placing wagers on a goaltender who consistently concedes. They are commonly placed when an underdog is going against a heavily favored team.
- In-Play/Live Betting: In-play bets, which are placed while the action in a hockey matchup is ongoing, are among the most popular nets with punters who wager on the sport. In order to achieve success with in-play betting in hockey, it is important to be able to utilize statistics effectively.
Boxing is another of the world's favourites , but it differs in many ways from other options on this list. In boxing, it is all about the big-money events that take place during the year.
The fact that betting on boxing revolves around major events means that you can take advantage of a variety of promotions that are run by bookmakers who are looking to stand out from their competitors.
Though live streaming is not generally going to be available for major boxing events, the top boxing betting sites can help to cultivate a big fight night feel to a Pay-Per-View.
- Some of the biggest betting events of the year
- Great fight promotions focused on major events
- Unique betting markets and rulesets
- Betting opportunities are less common than with many other sports
Popular Betting Markets
- Round Group Betting: Picking the round that you think the fight will end in is another exciting market for fans of betting on boxing.
- Go the Distance: If you think the fight will go to the final bell with a winner decided on the scorecards, you can bet on it going the distance.
- Method of Victory: In this market, you bet on how you think the fight will end. This includes options like a knockout or a decision winner. You can also pick who you think the winner will be, regardless of the method.
7. Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
One of the major drawbacks of betting on boxing is removed from the sport of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA). The sport offers huge fights and major events. It also offers punters great promotional opportunities and competitive odds.
There are several major MMA promotions out there. The UFC is the industry leader, but a lot of great fights are also put on by promotions like Bellator MMA, One Championship and the PFL.
Where MMA really shines is the fact that there is an actual schedule with fight cards planned well in advance and readily available all year long. This makes it easy to enjoy watching your favorite combat athletes.
- A much more extensive schedule than boxing
- Big fights/major events benefits
- Great availability of investment across multiple fights due to logical booking
- High Pay-Per-View costs
Popular Betting Markets
- First-Round Victory: Due to the nature of MMA as a sport, it is common for fights to end early. It is also common for one fighter to dominate the action. This is the market for you if you think that an early victory is inevitable.
- Method of Victory: Just like in boxing, the method of victory market is one of the most popular for MMA betting. So popular that we had to add it even though we covered it in the boxing section. In MMA, you get to add the exciting possibility of a submission victory into the mix!
- Draw No Bet: The option of a draw is removed in this market. What this means is that if neither fighter leaves as the winner, it is like the wager was never made.
8. Racing Sports (Motorsports)
Motor racing sports are another popular option for many punters. There is something absolutely thrilling about predicting who you think will be the first to go across the finish line. Top motorsports leagues include NASCAR, the IndyCar Series and Formula 1.
- The rules of the sport are simple to understand
- Racing sports are widely available at top online bookmakers
- There are plenty of available markets
- There can be quite a few things to take into account when it comes to developing a successful betting strategy
Popular Betting Markets
- Outright winner: Pick the winner of the race to win.
- Lap Time: You can place bets on lap times for the qualifying rounds at motorsports events.
- Overall Season Champion: You can also bet on who you think will win the overall points title for a racing season.
9. Horse Racing
The availability of great odds is a key factor that makes horse racing the go-to option for many punters. Best Odds Guaranteed (BOG) promotions have played a major role in this. They are unique to these types of races, and they also offer a significant strategic advantage.
- One of the world's most popular sports to place bets on
- Great availability of live streaming
- Huge variety of markets and promotions
- Research is needed for making a well-informed t bet
Popular Betting Markets
- Forecast Bet: You can predict who you think will be the top two horses in their order of finish.
- To Win: Decide who you think the winner of the race will be.
- To Place: This market expands your winning opportunities. Your pick wins if it makes it into the top three (or more through some promotional offers).
Tennis is a back-and-forth matchup between two competitors. The fact that you can get some good odds on the sport only adds to its appeal. This is particularly common for major events like Wimbledon.
- Good availability of live-streaming coverage
- Tennis betting can add excitement to an already thrilling sport
- The various markets do a great job of breaking the game down into different segments
- It is a sport that might not be for everyone
Popular Betting Markets
- Handicap Betting: It is common for mismatches to occur in big tennis tournaments. This provides the perfect chance for a market to even out that difference through the use of one or more handicaps.
- Total Games Betting: This market is also known as Over/Under. You must predict the number of games you think the match will involve.
- First Set Winner: This market is very straightforward. You decide who you think will win the opening set or any individual set within the overall match. The fact that this market breaks tennis down into its various elements is a major reason why so many punters love it.
Best Sports To Gamble On
If you're new to sports betting, here are some of the best sports betting sites for beginners. They all offer chances to gamble on the best sports.
Are There Any Sport That are Easier To Bet On?
The reality is the fact that the specifics of a bet are generally more important than the sport being bet on means betting can be made easier if do your research. For this reason, it can be helpful to bet on sports that you are a fan of and understand well.
Coming up with a good sports betting strategy is the most important factor involved in making any specific option the best sport to bet on.
What Are the Best Leagues To Bet On?
The NFL is the pinnacle of American football and the most popular league to bet on within the sport. Its history dates to 1920, so there is plenty of statistical data that punters can utilize.
- The Superbowl is one of the most widely covered betting events of the year, with great promotions offered
- Plenty of betting market options
- The league’s teams have extensive histories with each other
- Each team only plays 16 games per regular season
- Draft specials
- Winner of the Superbowl
Given its status as the world’s top basketball league, NBA betting offers many benefits. The league has been around since 1946, and its teams have a tremendous amount of history with one another.
- Plenty of close games
- The teams play each other on a regular basis
- There are a lot of intriguing betting markets
- Licensing rights for the league means limited live-streaming availability
- Race to a certain point total
- Conference winner
- Quarter winner
The history of Major League Baseball goes back to the founding of the National League in 1876 and the American League in 1901. It is one of the most popular leagues in the United States and a great option for sports betting.
- A massive number of annual games
- Plenty of available statistics
- A variety of betting markets
- Baseball is a sport that can be highly unpredictable
- Live/in-game betting
The NHL is North America’s premier ice hockey league, with teams in both Canada and the USA. It is an organization with a strong fan base and is a popular sports betting option.
- A sport that pairs well with live betting
- The teams in the league have long histories and strong rivalries
- Excellent sport for those who are well-versed in its key statistics
- Can be an intimidating sport for those who are not familiar with it
- Goaltending bets
- Puck line
- Live betting
The Ultimate Fighting Championship is the pinnacle of the MMA sport. You will find the world’s best fighters signed to this popular sports league.
- An extensive annual schedule of events
- Plenty of major events during the year
- Similar types of markets as you find in boxing
- PPVs can be quite expensive
- Method of victory
- Draw no bet
- First round victory
What Makes a Sport the Best to Bet on?
The key things that determine the most profitable sport to bet on include:
- Market variety
- Availability on sportsbooks
- Research material availability
- Odds quality
- Promotional opportunities
What Makes a Specific Sport Right for You?
When choosing the best sport to bet on professionally for your specific needs, you need to remember that it is impossible to calculate everything objectively.
With this point in mind, you want to consider the following:
- Which sports are you the most passionate about?
- How much does the availability of live streaming matter to you?
- Which sports are you the most knowledgeable about?
- Which betting markets are you interested in?
- How good is the coverage of the sport you want to bet on?
Sports to Bet on FAQ
The best sport to place a bet on is a personal decision. You should choose the sports that you find to be the easiest to strategize effectively for. This will help to boost the amount of enjoyment that you get out of sports betting. However, each sport has its own advantages in the betting scene, with American Football being the number one choice because of its history and nature of the game.
Though we hesitate to say that any one sport is easier to bet on than another one, it is important to note that your own knowledge of a specific sport makes it much easier to predict outcomes effectively. Some sports offer better access to key statistics than others do and a wider range of available markets with some sports compared to others.
You can place bets on as many sports as you want to when you head to the best online bookmakers.
The fundamentals of how to win on sports bets remain the same regardless of which one you choose. You must make accurate predictions about outcomes within specific markets.
While you will certainly come across some sports where no bookmaker has added any markets, these cases are increasingly rare. The majority of sports are now available for online betting at the leading sportsbooks.
ThePuntersPage Final Say
Finding the best sport to bet on and win is a mixture of understanding the key advantages that certain markets and games have over others and your personal preferences.
When a specific sport has better odds than another one, it is easy to see why you might consider that one first. It is important that you also follow your sporting passion There are undeniable benefits to placing bets on sports that you personally follow. You are likely to have a better understanding of the ins and outs of these sports. This can help you to put together a better strategy.
At the end of the day, you should follow your passion when choosing a sport to bet on, but we also recommend trying some new sports out as well. You may just end up finding your new favorite sport for betting!