Recent changes to US law means online sports betting will soon be legalized in 35 states, opening up exciting opportunities for American bettors. In this comprehensive guide, we highlight the top US sports betting sites, providing you with valuable insights to help you choose the perfect platform for your needs.
- Best USA Betting Sites in 2023
- Things To Consider Before Choosing a US Betting Site
- Promotions & Bonuses in Online Bookies
- Payment Methods Accepted by US Betting Sites
- In Which States Is It Legal To Bet?
- Which Are the Most Trusted Betting Sites?
- Best Betting Sites for Each Sport
- Live Betting in the USA
- Daily Fantasy Sports Betting in the USA
- The Difference Between Legal and Offshore USA Betting Sites
- Best US Betting Sites FAQs
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
Things To Consider Before Choosing a US Betting Site
There are plenty of things to take into account when selecting a betting site, but below are what we believe to be the most important aspects.
If the bookmaker is licensed by relevant, trustworthy authorities, you shouldn’t have any concerns over your safety as an online bettor. However, it's imperative that the bookie also alerts their players how they’re protecting their personal data for the sake of transparency.
- Odds quality
With the number of US sportsbooks increasing, odds quality can be a decisive factor in staying ahead of the competition. Every bookmaker strives to provide competitive odds, though, so it can be challenging to decipher who’s offering the very best at any given time.
Thus, to make things a bit easier, we recommend you use our odds overround calculator.
- Promotions and offers
Bookmakers often reward bettors via promotions and offers. Every respectable bookie has a welcome bonus for new customers to take advantage, but existing promotions are crucial to retaining the interest of users.
These offers have got to be unique, exciting, and constantly updated to maintain a sense of freshness.
- Mobile app
Bettors love to place bets on the go, and mobile apps allow them to do so without much hassle. However, bookmakers don’t necessarily need to have an app to ensure their users can bet on the move. They merely need to ensure their website is compatible for mobile use.
Mobile apps should provide the same experience for users as the bookie’s website would.
- Live betting
In-play betting is massively popular in the US, and bookmakers must be on the ball to ensure they provide the best live experience for its users. Markets must be refreshed by the second, while an array of betting options should be available.
- Payment options
Now, this may not seem like a decisive factor, but how frustrating would it be if your preferred method of payment isn’t accepted by the bookmaker of your choice? The best bookies will offer a variety of banking options, with these methods all being safe and reliable.
Promotions & Bonuses in Online Bookies
Here’s a list of the most common and popular sportsbook promotions provided by bookmakers:
Deposit Match Bonus
These new customer offers are key to attracting new customers to a particular sportsbook. A deposit match bonus involves the bookmaker matching your first deposit – often up to a certain amount. So, if a new user makes a first deposit of $50, the bookmaker will match that and reward you $50 in bonuses.
This bonus typically grants rewards as bet credits, which can be used on the site’s sportsbook and subsequently turned into real cash should any of your bets win.
Some sportsbooks will also offer a first bet match promotion which is a similar premise, but instead of matching your first deposit, they’ll match your first bet stake.
No Deposit Bonus
A no deposit bonus is brilliant as you do not have to deposit any funds into your account in order to receive the reward on offer. You’ll qualify for the bonus by merely registering with the sportsbook, though you will likely have to enter a promo code to claim the offer.
This promotion comes with many perks as you've got the opportunity to try things out without risking your own funds.
Everybody loves putting on a parlay, right? Such bets are among the most popular among sports bettors, especially novices.
A parlay bet is when a better makes multiple wagers and combines them to create one big bet. They’re a great way to win big money, but they’re mightily difficult to pull off.
Enhanced parlays, or parlay boosts, are juiced-up versions of your standard combo bet. Sportsbooks will boost the odds of your parlays to increase potential payouts. These boosts are usually proportional to the number of selections in your parlay. The more selections, the bigger the boost.
This only adds to the entertainment of parlay betting, with bettors not having to do anything different to earn a boosted parlay. However, some bookmakers might make these enhanced parlays sport- or event-specific.
Money Back Betting Offers
This is typically a new customer offer in which the bookmaker refunds your first bet – usually via free bets – should it not win.
However, some sportsbooks will also offer money back offers for various sports such as soccer. For example, you could receive a refund if you place a goals-related bet on a soccer match that ends in a stalemate.
The offer essentially gives you a risk-free bet, though the catch here is that bookmakers will rarely refund customers with real cash. To make the most of this promotion, you’ve got to use the free bets you receive wisely.
Boosted bet promotions are common among various bookmakers, but they’re still a handy way of garnering greater value for your bets. Some bookmakers may randomly boost odds, but, for the most part, you will be able to see which markets have been boosted before the event begins.
The perks of boosted odds are obvious, but they could also tempt you into staking more. To combat this, some bookmakers limit how much you can bet on a boosted market.
As fun as parlays can be, they can also be incredibly frustrating. It only takes one erroneous selection for your entire bet, no matter how big it be, to lose. Thus, bookmakers have tried to get rid of such frustration by introduction parlay insurance. Now, this offer aren’t as common as enhanced parlays which are borderline ubiquitous, so it’s worth doing some research into which sportsbooks offer it.
The insurance gifts you a full or partial refund should just one leg of your parlay let them down. This refund will often manifest as a free bet as opposed to real cash.
Existing Customer Betting Offers
VIP/loyalty programs are imperative to retaining the interest of loyal customers, especially high rollers who want to be rewarded for their betting from the bookmaker itself. The very best sportsbooks offer generous rewards that transcend mere free bets and free spins. Some will offer their customers the chance to win the most incredible real-life experiences.
Special Events Promotions
Bookmakers will always put on a show when a major sporting event rolls around. Whether it’s the Super Bowl or March Madness, you can bet your bottom dollar that special promotions dedicated to such events are provided. March Madness brackets are common, and sportsbooks will give users the chance to win a lot of money should their bracket be accurate.
Payment Methods Accepted by US Betting Sites
Here are some of the most common payment methods supported by American bookmakers:
- PayPal: The hugely popular e-wallet is typically a safe bet for banking with a bookmaker, with almost every US operator allowing you to withdraw funds via PayPal. Just make sure the email account you use for your sports betting account is the same as your PayPal email. This payment option is incredibly efficient, with no fees involved.
- Credit and debit cards: While credit cards are no longer usable in the UK for online betting, that's not the case for the US, with Mastercard and Visa being the most popular. Regarding debit cards, the absence of any third-party service renders them incredibly easy to use. However, it’s not uncommon for fees to be associated with credit card deposits, and there’s no guarantee credit card companies will accept gambling deposits either.
- VIP Preferred (ACH): This is a popular method that allows customers in the US to pay by eChecks, and is widely available among American bookmakers, providing swift and efficient deposit and withdrawals. However, you must have an online bank account to use ACH when betting.
- Venmo: A payment service that allows users to send and receive money electronically, Venmo is another popular e-wallet used by online bettors. While it doesn’t boast PayPal’s reputation, it’s still pretty reliable. The concept in regard to depositing funds is also similar, though you will first need to download the mobile app and create an account before you can proceed any further. Nevertheless, it’s a safe and secure option.
- Play+/Prepaid cards: These are supported by most betting sites, with high acceptance rates being their major advantage. As long as you have a bank account or a debit/credit card, you can apply for a digital and physical Play+ card, which in turn can be described as middlemen in the gambling world as they eliminate the risk of deposits via banks being rejected. You can upload funds to your Play+ card, which will then allow you to deposit with ease.
- Wire transfers: Bank wire transfers are useful for high rollers, as it’s much easier to move large amounts of cash using this method. Fees are often incurred, though, while processing times are typically much longer compared to other options. If you withdraw funds via wire transfer, it better be worth it!
- PayNearMe: PayNearMe allows you to make deposits at various convenience stores including 7-Eleven and CVS. The official website shows a full list of available locations in your area. Depositing is simple with this method as you only need a PNM barcode and the requisite funds – which you'll need to have over to the retail clerk. You will then receive a code which is entered into your betting account to receive the funds. On the downside, you cannot withdraw funds using this method.
- In-person depositing: At the end of the day, you can always deposit and withdraw the old-fashioned way. Those that don’t like online banking could stick to in-person depositing, but there are obvious logistical drawbacks. You’ll have physically travel to a sportsbook or casino to deposit any funds so you can gamble.
In Which States Is It Legal To Bet?
Sports betting in the US was illegal up until 2018, when the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of 1992 was overturned by the Supreme Court.
We've provided a full breakdown below.
|State||Is sports betting legal in person?||Is sports betting legal online?|
Which Are the Most Trusted Betting Sites?
We’ve already discussed the qualities to consider when choosing a betting site, and trust certainly falls under the safety tree. You’ve got to be able to trust your bookmaker, right? So, how do you know that you can trust your bookie?
A trustworthy bookmaker will only allow you to deposit and withdraw funds using legitimate banking methods such as PayPal and Venmo. In addition, measures must be in place to ensure customers gamble responsibly, with an example of such measures being account limits. The most responsible bookmakers will have an array of tools for responsible gambling available.
Best Betting Sites for Each Sport
Everybody has their preferred sports on which they enjoy betting, so it’s important to know which betting site is right for you in this regard. Our list below has been compiled to help you out.
NFL – DraftKings
- The vast majority of betting sites cover the NFL extensively, but DraftKings’ coverage does stand out amongst the crowd. You can kickstart your betting journey with a generous welcome offer, after which you can claim promotion after promotion for weekly matchups.
Moreover, DraftKings’ micro-betting options are superb, allowing you to place bets on smaller, instantaneous events that occur during a sporting event. These could include the next point scored in a tennis match or the next team to score in a basketball game.
NBA – BetMGM
- BetMGM is regarded alongside DraftKings and FanDuel as a premier US bookmaker. At the time of writing, their coverage of the NBA is the most complete compared to its competitors, especially when it comes to promotions and prop bets.
You will also be able to livestream events, build one-game parlays, enjoy an endless list of live markets, and cash out early if necessary.
Horse Racing – DraftKings
- DraftKings’ recently launched DK Horse app has titled the horse racing stakes in their favour. The app, which is available in 12 states, is dedicated exclusively and has arrived in time for the 2023 Kentucky Derby. Its aim is to connect customers to pari-mutuel wagering on horse racing.
Esports – DraftKings
- While leading US bookmakers have often focused their interests on regular sports, some have drifted over to the virtual world - such as DraftKings.
Their coverage of esports is not yet extensive, but there’s enough for bettors to enjoy, including plenty of promotions.
UFC – FanDuel
- The hugely popular FanDuel supplies excellent coverage of the UFC. MMA has soared in popularity in recent years, with many bookmakers starting to offer much improved coverage to match the demand.
FanDuel provides impressive coverage for every sport they offer, and it’s no different with UFC. There’s an array of markets to choose from for any given fight, with greater attention being paid to bigger events.
You can bet on basic moneyline markets as well as method of victory and round winners. Promotions often feature on FanDuel’s UFC coverage, too, while parlay bets are easy to place.
Soccer – DraftKings
- The well-regarded DraftKings boasts the deepest soccer offering out of all the US bookmakers. You can access over 100 soccer leagues and an endless list of markets, while it’s easy to create soccer parlay bets too. DraftKings also has dedicated soccer promotions, which usually involve profit boosts on parlays.
Cricket – DraftKings
- The US has a long but overlooked history with cricket. The game’s never really taken off… until now (maybe).
Major League Cricket is coming to the States in 2023 ahead of the ICC T20 Men’s World Cup in 2024, which the US will co-host with the West Indies. There’s hope the upcoming inaugural MLC event will see the sport's popularity increase, but there are no guarantees.
Cricket betting isn’t always offered by American bookmakers, but DraftKings does provide some coverage. At the time of writing, you can bet on any upcoming T20 and One Day Internationals, as well as the 2023 Indian Premier League. Future major events such as the aforementioned T20 World Cup and the 2023 World Cup are also covered with outright markets available.
For immediate upcoming events, match and player props are accessible.
Live Betting in the USA
Live betting involves wagering on an event as it happens, and has already becoming massively popular, taking the US by storm.
There is a massive amount of different betting options here, including corners, yellow cards, fouls, throw in and many more, not to mention the possibility to bet on individual players.
Additionally, live betting offers the chance to turn the tide in your favor and secure a win within a single game, especially if a pre-made bet has been unsuccessful. It adds an element of thrill and keeps the excitement alive throughout the event.
All betting sites recommended in this article offer the option to place live bets, providing an exciting way to enhance your viewing experience while watching a your favorite sports.
Daily Fantasy Sports Betting in the USA
Betting on Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS for short) is an excellent alternative to regular sports betting and has been popular in America for a number of years. In several states, DFS was not considered sports betting as such, so it was legal even before 2018.
The general concept of fantasy sports involves bettors picking out a team made of individual players in a particular league. Points are earned depending on the performances of each player and accumulate weekly, so the team with the highest points wins the fantasy league. This often takes place throughout an entire season.
In Daily Fantasy Sports, the process of placing bets remains largely the same; however, the time frame is much smaller, often a single day or one game week. This means that every match week gives you the chance to win.
Winnings are paid out from a pre-determined pot prize, and amounts vary depending on the size of said pot, the importance of the game, and the number of bettors taking part. Daily Fantasy Sports betting is much more commonplace in the US compared to regular betting, with only a handful of states still considering it illegal.
Best Daily Fantasy Sports Betting Sites
Since Daily Fantasy Sports was already legal in 18 states prior to the law change in 2018, it is unsurprisingly popular within the US. There are two standout sportsbooks when comes to fantasy sports: DraftKings and FanDuel.
Both sites offer top-quality products, meaning that it’s really down to personal preference at the end of the day.
The Difference Between Legal and Offshore USA Betting Sites
When exploring various betting sites online, you may have encountered offshore platforms targeting American bettors. However, unlike operators who have obtained approval from the state in which they operate, these offshore sites have not undergone such scrutiny.
While in the past, before sports betting was legalized, these sites may have appeared as the only option, nowadays these unvetted sites should be best pushed aside. Always favor platforms that comply with legal requirements and offer a safer and more reliable betting experience.
How To Spot an Offshore Betting Site
Most of the largest offshore betting sites are well-designed, up to date, and offer many betting options, meaning that they are hard to tell apart from operators such as the ones we have recommended in this article. Below we've detailed two particular factors that will help you spot them.
- Regulators logos
USA betting sites that are legal and regulated will have a seal of approval at the site's header or footer, proving that they are in fact legitimate. They will also have the responsible gaming logo at the top of the page, which is a must for every trustworthy bookmaker.
- Contact Information
Another tell-tale sign is found in the site's contact information section. American operators will typically have their US offices exclusively located within the United States. On the other hand, offshore companies often have offices in various countries such as the Isle of Man and Malta. Sites that hold American licenses are required to maintain offices within the United States.
Why Shouldn’t You Use Offshore Betting Sites
So, what exactly are the problems with using a well-established offshore betting site?
For one thing, offshore sites do not owe any legal obligations to the United States. As a result, if you experience loss of funds or theft, you have no recourse through the government for legal support.
In addition, offshore sites are not subject to the rigorous regulatory oversight and scrutiny that legal US betting sites undergo. This increases the risk of unfair practices, fraudulent activities, and misuse of personal information.
Best US Betting Sites FAQs
To view the list of states which have legalized betting in the US, scroll up to our table above.
We at ThePuntersPage regard DraftKings, BetMGM, FanDuel, and Borgata Online as the four best bookmakers the US has to offer.
There are plenty of aspects to consider, but a good bookmaker will have a comprehensive sportsbook with an array of promotions. Security is paramount, too, as are competitive odds and their live betting coverage.
US bookmakers allow bettors to deposit funds by a variety of methods. However, the most common and reliable option is PayPal.
ThePuntersPage Final Say
In the above guide, we’ve explored the growing popularity of online sports betting in the US along with its currently thriving landscape. With numerous options available, American bettors now have ample opportunities to engage in exciting wagering experiences.
As always, we remind you to bet responsibly – and recommend that you take advantage of all of our guides to aid you on your betting journey!