Historically, Juventus and the two Milan clubs have dominated Serie A betting and transfers. Each club enjoyed a period of dominance, attracting the best players in the world with excellent wages.
Before and after the Italia 90 World Cup, AC Milan recruited the best players from Holland and other clubs in Italy. Ruud Gullit, Marco van Basten, and Frank Rijkaard complemented some of the best Italian players. The mix helped the club to a golden era of success, including two European Cups.
During the same era, Inter Milan became the destination for some of the best players from the German National team, with three significant Serie A transfers. Lothar Matthaus and Andreas Brehme were Inter Milan transfers and Inter won Serie A in 1988-89, and then Jurgen Klinnsman arrived.
Inter dominated Serie A from 2006 to 2010 with five titles. Then during the 2010s, Juventus became the major force in Italian football. However, the Premier League in England became wealthier and was the port of call for some players who would have instigated Serie A transfers in the past.
In 2020, the pandemic caused instability in the finances of Italian football, causing Juventus’s dominance of the 2010s to be halted in 2020-21 and 2021-22 when Inter and AC Milan won the league. These developments have impacted Serie A transfers during the 2022 summer transfer window.
- Serie A Transfers: Latest News & Outlook for the 2022 Summer Transfer Window
- Important Serie A Transfer Dates – 2022/23
- The 10 Biggest Serie A Incoming Transfers – 2021/22 Season and 2022 Summer Transfer Window
- The 10 Biggest Transfer Deals in Serie A History
- Notable Serie A Departure Transfers – Summer 2021, January 2022, and Summer 2022
- Transfer Betting in Other European Leagues
- Serie A Transfer Betting – FAQs
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
Serie A Transfers: Latest News & Outlook for the 2022 Summer Transfer Window
The transfer windows in Italy over the last two years have been badly affected by the pandemic. The major clubs have suffered financial problems that have been compounded by other non-playing issues. Even so, there have still been AC Milan transfers, as well as Inter Milan transfers and at Juventus.
These three clubs have huge fan bases in Italy and other parts of the world. They are also popular selections in betting on Serie A matches, but Empoli was the most profitable Serie A team to bet on during the 2021/22 season.
There was more optimism and confidence in finances leading up to Serie A transfers for 2022/23. Hence, towards the end of July, there were developments described below with Serie A transfers.
- It seems like Juventus have adopted a cost-cutting exercise by shipping out 16 squad members who were contributing to a high wage bill, one of these being Dutch international Matthijs De Ligt. Along with this, Giorgio Chiellini has moved to Los Angeles FC after 17 years of service at Juve. He owes the club or national team nothing, so he deserves his move to MLS. Angel di Maria is one of the key Serie A transfers to Juventus. He arrived in Turin after seven highly successful seasons with PSG, during which time he won five Ligue 1 titles and scored 92 goals in 295 matches. Defender Gleison Bremer has been brought in from Torino for a fee of almost £37m. However, a potentially controversial arrival is Paul Pogba. He returns to Juventus on a four-year contract after a relatively uninspiring spell with Manchester United.
Inter Milan Transfers
- Romelu Lukaku has returned to Inter Milan from Chelsea on a loan deal. The Belgian striker is a proven goal scorer who scored 64 goals in 95 appearances for the club over two seasons before his one-year stay in London. The loan fee was reported to be £6.9m for the 2022/23 season. Inter have also strengthened in defence with the purchase of Joaquin Correa from Lazio for £20m. His is a year-long loan deal, with an option to buy the player on a three-year contract after the loan spell. Henrikh Mkhitaryan was signed from Roma, while Ivan Perisic moved to Tottenham on a free transfer. He played under Antonio Conte at Inter, but the current Spurs boss sent him on loan to Bayern Munich. Arturo Vidal has also left on a free transfer to Flamengo in Brazil.
AC Milan Transfers
- There has been a relatively small amount of transfer activity with AC Milan in the early weeks of Serie A transfers in the summer window. Five players have departed so far, with two of those being loan deals. However, Franck Kessie moved to Barcelona with a buyout clause of over £425m. Only three players have moved in the other direction so far, but Milan may do more business before the end of the current transfer window. That includes Divock Origi, who arrives from Liverpool on a four-year contract, while Alessandro Florenzi comes in from Roma with a three-year deal.
Other Serie A Transfers
- Away from the top 3 teams, AS Roma managed to secure the services of La Joya – Paolo Dybala in what was quite a turbulent summer for the Argentine. It seems like Jose Mourinho was the key to making this fantastic transfer happen for the Giallorossi.
- Many internal Serie A transfers are for an undisclosed fee or loan deal. However, the Brazilian midfielder, Ederson, moved from Salernitana to Atalanta for about £18m. Atalanta also spent the best part of £38m in total on Jeremie Boga (from Sassuolo) and Merih Demiral (from Juventus).
- There was one other Serie A internal transfer in 2022/23 for disclosed fees of £8.5m (€10m) or more: Giovanni Simone from Cagliari to Verona for £8.90m.
- Andre Zambo Anguissa came to Napoli from Fulham for £12.70m, Augustin Alvarez joined Sassuolo from Penarol for just over £10m, and Matthias Olivera arrived at Napoli from Getafe at £9.32m. Lazio paid the same fee when they bought Luis Maximiano from Granada. Also, Sassuolo handed over £8.50m to Ghenk for the services of Kristian Thorsdtvedt.
Important Serie A Transfer Dates – 2022/23
Below are the important Serie A transfers dates for teams in the top Italian division. With Serie A transfers in 2022/23, clubs can bring in new players and sell those that are the subject of acceptable bids or surplus to requirements:
Opened: July 1 2022Closes: August 31 2022
The 10 Biggest Serie A Incoming Transfers – 2021/22 Season and 2022 Summer Transfer Window
The table below shows the most expensive fees paid on incoming Serie A transfers during the full 2021/21 season and the summer 2022 transfer window. Also included are transfers completed as of July 21 2022; bear in mind that there could be more lucrative moves still to come in the following months.
|Juventus (from Torino)
|Juventus (from Fiorentina)
|AS Roma (from Chelsea)
|AC Milan (from Chelsea)
|AS Roma (from Verona)
|Inter Milan (from Lazio)
|Fiorentina (from Stuttgart)
|Atalanta (from Sassuolo)
|Juventus (from Schalke 04)
|Atalanta (From Juventus)
The 10 Biggest Transfer Deals in Serie A History
|Juventus (from Real Madrid)
|Juventus (from Napoli)
|Matthijs de Ligt
|Juventus (from Ajax)
|Inter Milan (from Manchester United)
|Juventus (from Barcelona – exchanged for Miralem Pjanic)
|Napoli (from Lille)
|Lazio (from Parma)
|Juventus (from Parma)
|Lazio (from Valencia)
|Inter Milan (from Lazio)
Notable Serie A Departure Transfers – Summer 2021, January 2022, and Summer 2022
|Chelsea (from Inter Milan)
|Matthijs de Ligt
|Bayern Munich (from Juventus)
|Paris Saint-Germain (from Inter Milan)
|Chelsea (from Napoli)
|Rodrigo Del Paul
|Atletico Madrid (from Udinese)
|Arsenal (from Bologna)
|Brentford (from Bologna)
|Manchester United (from Juventus)
Transfer Betting in Other European Leagues
There has been plenty of transfer activity in the other main domestic leagues in Europe. Below we've summarised the big moves in and out of England, France, Germany and Spain. You can find activity related to these transfers on the best football betting sites.
After three weeks of the summer window, Premier League transfers were dominated by two players. Erling Haaland moved to Manchester City from Borussia Dortmund for more than £50.00m, while Raheem Sterling left City for Chelsea and a fee of £37.50m. Gabriel Jesus made the same move to London but his destination was Arsenal, who invested £45.00m in the Brazilian international.
Robert Lewandowski left Bayern Munich for Barcelona, while Haaland made the previously mentioned move to Man City. Sadio Mane travels from Liverpool to Bayern Munich, with a tough act to follow in Lewandowski. The release clause in his contract saw Xaver Shagler leave Wolfsburg for RB Leipzig as part of the Bundesliga transfer market.
PSG spent the most money on two individual players. Sporting CP received £37.00m for Nuno Mendes and Porto picked up £34.00m for Vitinha. The major outgoing transfers in the French league were topped by the £68.00m fee that Aurelien Tchouameni commanded with his move from Monaco to Real Madrid.
Lewandowski finally moved to Barcelona from Bayern Munich in a four-year deal, which was the main attraction in betting on La Liga transfers. Real Madrid’s biggest outlay was for Tchouameni. Leeds United received £55.00m when Raphinha moved to Barcelona, and Aston Villa paid Sevilla £26m to sign Diego Carlos.
Serie A Transfer Betting – FAQs
It’s different for every bookmaker. However, typically, when it comes to Serie A transfers, you can bet on a player’s next permanent club or which club that player will be at after the upcoming transfer window.
The summer transfer window opened on July 1 and closes on August 31 in Italy.
Normally all the top players would be possible markets for Serie A transfer betting. At the moment, we have found specials on Gianluca Scammacca and Samu Castillejo.
Cristiano Ronaldo is Serie A’s most expensive import. Juventus signed him from Real Madrid in 2018 for a record £105.3m fee.
ThePuntersPage Final Say
Admittedly, finding markets related to Serie A transfers is not so easy, but they will become more prominent when the transfer window opens. As clubs slowly recover financially from the strains of the pandemic, we should see a return to the usual chaotic nature of the Italian transfer market. Still, there are intriguing sub-plots to watch out for next year, and we’ve detailed in this guide how you can best exploit Serie A transfer betting.