Being the final event before the World Championship, the Darts Player Championship is an important tournament in the darts calendar as it determines the seeds for the Alexandra Palace showpiece. The event is held in Minehead with two stages on the go in the early rounds, and features the leading 64 players on the rankings from the qualifying tournaments over a fast and frenetic weekend of darts action.
- Tournament Structure for the Darts Player Championship
- Darts Player Championship Betting Odds 2022
- Darts Player Championship Betting Tips & Predictions 2022
- Darts Player Championship Betting Promotions 2022
- 5 Reasons To Bet on Darts Player Championship Finals
- Best Darts Player Championship Betting Sites
- History of the Darts Player Championship
- Key Stats & Facts
- Similar Tournaments to Darts Player Championship
- Darts Player Championship FAQs
- TPP Final Say on Darts Player Championship
Tournament Structure for the Darts Player Championship
64 players make it into the tournament and they are placed in the draw depending on where they ranked in money earned from the 30 qualifying competitions. This is known as the Players Championships Order of Merit and is based on the 30 Players Championship events during the season.
This method is different from most tournaments, which use global ranking instead.
While Gerwyn Price is the world number one, he is only seeded eighth in this tournament. Damon Heta is the number one seed in 2022. The first two rounds of the tournament are the best of 11 legs before the last 16, and quarter-finals go up to the best of 19 legs. Both the semi-finals and final are played in the same session over the best of 21 legs.
Darts Player Championship Betting Odds 2022
The Players Championship is one of the best betting heats of the year, with the draw often opening up due to the different order of merit. Here are the current odds for the tournament.
Darts Player Championship Finals Betting Odds 2022
|Michael van Gerwen||5/1||bet365|
Darts Player Championship Betting Tips & Predictions 2022
- Damon Heta is the top seed for this tournament and has the early draw to build up some confidence and get into a position to challenge for the title. The World Cup champion scores heavily and if he finishes strongly, then he can justify his top seed billing.
- Dave Chisnall has been one of the better players on the circuit over the last three months, and a TV title is the next step on his journey. He has reached the final here before, losing to Michael van Gerwen in 2016. He is a much better player now and with a kind draw he can go deep.
- Nathan Aspinall was the top seed until the last few qualifying competitions. The World Grand Prix finalist will start out as the third seed and also has an early draw he can capitalise on. We saw at the World Grand Prix that the longer the format, the better he gets; so if he can get through to round three, he could take some stopping.
- Ryan Searle was the beaten finalist in 2021 and has the sort of profile that can go well here too. He has a kind early draw, is a heavy scorer and usually finishes well. He is fairly local to Minehead as well and will have plenty of crowd support.
- Chris Dobey offered up signs of what he can do at the European Championship recently when he made the semi-final. He is another player who should be knocking on the door of a TV title. Dobey will be able to go under the radar for a lot of the tournament, and then when the heavy stuff comes along, he should have built up the confidence to have a big tilt at the title.
Darts Player Championship Betting Promotions 2022
- bet365 have an offer for new customers, where you get £50 when you bet £10, which is perfect for this tournament.
- Coral will give you a free £20 bet when you open an account and bet £5 with them.
- If you open up a Betfair account before the tournament begins, you will get a £30 free bet once you wager£10 on the sportsbook.
5 Reasons To Bet on Darts Player Championship Finals
- Climax all of the Player Championship tournaments
- It is all live on TV
- The draw is done before the tournament so you know who will play who
- It is the final tournament before the World Championship begins
- All the star names are involved along with some rising stars
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply. See full terms below. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first 5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4x 5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. No cashout, restrictions + Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New customers only. Opt in, bet £5 at odds 2.00+ within 7 days of registering, no cashout. Get 3x £10 Free Bets, set events at odds 2.00+. 7 day bonus expiry. Card payments only. T&Cs apply, see below. begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsibly
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
New 18+ UK customers only. Register using the promo code WELCOME40, deposit and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative Evens+) within 7 days of registration. First bet must be on Sports. £30 in Free Bets and £10 in Free Spins (50x20p) credited within 10 hours of bet settlement. Free Bet stakes are not included in any returns. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
History of the Darts Player Championship
There have been just seven winners of the Players Championship since the event was created in 2009. The format has gone through a number of changes through the years but became a 64-player tournament in 2016. It has been held in Minehead every year since 2012 with the exception of 2020, when the event was held behind closed doors in Coventry due to the pandemic.
Recent Darts Player Championship Winners
|2020||Michael van Gerwen||Mervyn King|
|2019||Michael van Gerwen||Gerwyn Price|
|2018||Daryl Gurney||Michael van Gerwen|
|2017||Michael van Gerwen||Jonny Clayto|
|2016||Michael van Gerwen||Dave Chisnall|
|2015||Michael van Gerwen||Adrian Lewis|
|2014||Gary Anderson||Adrian Lewis|
|2013||Michael van Gerwen||Phil Taylor|
Key Stats & Facts
- Only seven players have lifted this trophy: Paul Nicholson, Phil Taylor, Kevin Painter, Michael van Gerwen, Gary Anderson, Daryl Gurneyand Peter Wright.
- Michael van Gerwen has won the title six times – three more than any other player.
- Phil Taylor is the only other player to have won this title more than once.
- Mervyn King and Adrian Lewis are the only players to have lost more than one final without winning the title.
- The title has been won in a deciding leg in three finals – in 2020, 2020 and 2021.
Similar Tournaments to Darts Player Championship
- The World Championship is the biggest tournament of the year, held at Alexandra Palace in December and January. It follows the Players Championship.
- The Premier League is one of the biggest tournaments on the calendar. It is an invitation event and held weekly between February and May.
- The Gibraltar Darts Trophy is one of the leading tournaments on the European Tour. It is a qualifying event for the European Championship and takes place annually.
- The Grand Slam of Darts is held in Wolverhampton each November and features the major tournament winners and finalists from the previous 12 months.
Darts Player Championship FAQs
Based on our assessment, the best bookies for Darts Player Championship betting are 888sport, William Hill and Paddy Power.
The Players Championship can be watched on ITV4 in the UK. The majority of bookmakers stream a number of matches throughout the tournament as well.
Michael van Gerwen has won this title on six different occasions, the last time being in 2020. He has also won it in 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2019.
The prize fund for the tournament is £600,000 in 2022, up £100,000 from previous years. It has not yet been announced how the prize fund will be broken down.
The Players Championship 2022 will take place at the Butlins Resort in Minehead. The tournament begins on Friday 25 November and concludes on Sunday 27 November.
The most popular bets for the Players Championship are the outright winner, player to make the final, and nearer the time of the start of the tournament there will be markets for the winner of each of the four quarters.
TPP Final Say on Darts Player Championship
Taking place over three days and often throwing up surprise finalists because of the random nature of the draw, the Players Championship is always a fun event. This is a tournament where you can back favourites and outsiders and have a similar chance of getting a run for your money.