Head on out to the ball game with this extensive guide on MLB betting, which will not only tell you how to make the most of your baseball bets, but also lists which operators are best to place them with.
- Tournament Structure for the MLB
- Best Betting Sites for MLB
- MLB Betting Odds, Promotions, Tips & Predictions
- 5 Reasons to Bet on the MLB
- MLB Betting Sites With Live Streaming
- Introducing MLB Betting
- A Closer Look at our Favourite MLB Baseball Betting Sites
- MLB Betting Terminology
- Popular Major League Baseball Betting Markets
- History of the MLB
- Similar Tournaments to the MLB
- Baseball Betting Tips: Making the Most of MLB Betting
- Ultimate MLB FAQs
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
Tournament Structure for the MLB
A total of 30 teams compete in Major League Baseball, with 15 each from the National League and the American League. These include 29 sides from the USA along with a team from Canada. These teams play 162 games each season, and five teams in each league progress on to a postseason playoffs tournament that leads to the World Series. This is a best-of-seven championship series played by the champions of both leagues.
With over 69.6 million spectators, Major League Baseball has the highest total season attendance of any sports league in the world, and is the second-richest professional sport league by revenue after the USA’s National Football League (NFL).
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
Significant T’s & C’s The User must enter Bonus Code ‘COMMFREE90’ during registration Only available to users whio deposit via credit or debit cards New Customers Only. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New customers only. Opt in, bet £10 at odds 2.00+ within 7 days, no cashout. Get 3x £10 Free Bets, set events at odds 2.00+. Plus a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw max £250. Plus 100 Free Spins. 100 Free Spins have no wagering. Bonuses and Spins expire in 7 days. Card payments only. Please Gamble Responsibly. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ Minimum deposit of £10 using deposit code 30F - A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £10 placed on any sports market - Minimum odds of 1/2 (1.5) - Free bets credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days - Free bet stakes not included in returns - Casino Bonus must be claimed within 7 days. To withdraw bonus/related wins, wager bonus amount x40 within 14 days. Wagering requirements vary by game. Deposit methods, Withdrawal restrictions and Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ - Offer for new customers at bet365. Min deposit requirement. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits and are available for use upon settlement of bets to value of qualifying deposit. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply. See full terms below. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
MLB Betting Odds, Promotions, Tips & Predictions
MLB Betting Odds 2022
Outright MLB betting odds for the current season will appear here soon.
MLB Betting Tips & Predictions 2022
Our baseball betting tips for the 2022 MLB season will be published shortly.
MLB Betting Promotions 2022
5 Reasons to Bet on the MLB
- This is one of the richest sports in the world.
- The USA’s most popular sport.
- It’s the biggest competition in baseball.
- Because the world’s top players are here.
- For the good old American razzmatazz.
MLB Betting Sites With Live Streaming
- Paddy Power
Introducing MLB Betting
Major League Baseball is the top-level league in professional baseball. For UK or European readers who might not quite understand just how immensely popular the sport is, consider that it is the second wealthiest in the world despite overwhelmingly only taking place in the United States. During a game, two teams of 26 players try to score runs over nine innings, with the key contest coming down to the skills of the batter and the pitcher.
Understanding the Basics of Betting on Baseball
The rules of baseball betting are essentially pretty simple. While there are nuances to MLB tips, the basics of betting on baseball are largely the same as any other sport, finding bookmakers who carry Major League Baseball games isn’t an issue at all. In fact, you are more likely to be spoiled for choice.
Put simply, you register or sign in to your preferred online bookmaker (choosing licensed ones only is, of course, fundamental to acting on any baseball betting tips), deposit your funds, pick your market, pick your stakes, place your bet and hope for the best.
Clearing Up Odds Confusion
What became clear during our research for baseball betting is that many people did not understand the odds presented to them and in particular, some of the terminology used. Because this is an American sport, odds are often presented in their traditionally American form. We’re going to use an example to explain exactly how these work.
The above is an example from bet365. This may look confusing if you are used to fractional or decimal odds, but in reality, they are simply different ways of saying the exact same thing. They tell you both the return you will receive from your stake as well as your implied odds.
In this case, it would suggest that the Detroit Tigers have a 44.4% implied probability of winning. It would also suggest that the Philadelphia Phillies have a 59.2% chance of winning. The minus sign always suggests the favourite, and the plus sign suggests the underdog. Further solidifying this point are the returns. If you were to bet £5 on the Detroit Tigers and win, you would receive £11.25 back. If you bet the same amount on the Philadelphia Phillies and win, you get £8.44 back. Understanding these core concepts are as vital as any other baseball betting tips.
If you want to be able to understand how these calculations are done manually, check out our exclusive guide on betting odds. From a practical perspective, though, you can usually convert them to whatever kind of odds you are most comfortable with, and if you do not, your returns will be made clear on the betting slip anyway.
One vital part of understanding any MLB tips is not letting different terminology cloud your understanding. With regards to the terminology used, we will be going into some detail on baseball betting specifics a little further down this MLB betting guide. First, however, we'll go ahead and clarify what the term ‘baseball betting lines' means.
All you need to remember is that moneylines and betting lines not only mean the same thing, but also refer only to the odds given to the various markets. The odds and the name of the odds are different because that is what is traditional for American markets.
In every other regard, betting on baseball is the same as wagering on any other sport, and thus, terminology will have no further impact on our MLB betting tips today.
MLB 2022 Key Dates
It might not be among the most insightful MLB tips today, but make no mistake – there is no more important MLB betting news than the key dates of the season. With that in mind, here is what you’ve got to look forward to:
- 31st March – Opening day of the season
- 15th April – Jackie Robinson Day
- TBD – Major League Baseball Draft
- 19th July – 1st All-Star Game takes place in Atlanta
- 24th July – Hall of Fame Ceremony
- 31st March – 2nd October – MLB League Championship
- 13th June – 27th June – MLB World Series
Below is a list of all the teams involved in the 2022 season and their respective divisions. Unless we receive some drastic MLB betting news, you can expect these to remain the same.
- Baltimore Orioles
- Boston Red Sox
- New York Yankees
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Toronto Blue Jays
- Chicago White Sox
- Cleveland Guardians
- Detroit Tigers
- Kansas City Royals
- Minnesota Twins
- Houston Astros
- Los Angeles Angels
- Oakland Athletics
- Seattle Mariners
- Texas Rangers
- Atlanta Braves
- Miami Marlins
- New York Mets
- Philadelphia Phillies
- Washington Nationals
- Chicago Cubs
- Cincinnati Reds
- Milwaukee Brewers
- Pittsburgh Pirates
- St. Louis Cardinals
- Arizona Diamondbacks
- Colorado Rockies
- Los Angeles Dodgers
- San Diego Padres
- San Francisco Giants
A Closer Look at our Favourite MLB Baseball Betting Sites
There are no MLB baseball betting tips more pressing than finding a bookmaker which works for you. That’s why, alongside our top operators table, we’ve provided additional details for you to find your perfect baseball betting match.
Detailed review coming soon.
While BetVictor might focus on some of the more popular markets and does not have the same level of niche opportunities as some others on this list, those who are content with the selection will find a lot to love here.
Their sports welcome bonus is a generous one, granting you £40 for a mere £10 bet at the time of writing, and it is available on baseball too. Moreover, BetVictor provide a wonderful user-friendly experience and one of the finest mobile options anywhere. A few more left-field prop bets, and this one could have gone even further up our list of favourites.
- Great for casual players
- Usability is world-class
- Welcome bonus is both generous and relevant
- Tends to focus on more mainstream MLB betting markets
Detailed review coming soon.
Detailed review coming soon.
At this point, shall we just say that it would appear that 888sport are good at pretty much everything? We’re certainly gathering ample evidence, with them excelling in pretty much every betting discipline we can think of.
Baseball betting is no different – it benefits from 888sport’s marvellous selection of markets, aggressively competitive odds and wonderful live coverage. Odds boosts are also available across a wide variety of sports, meaning you never know when you’ll get lucky on your favourite MLB betting markets. Of course, they are also one of the absolute finest when it comes to mobile betting apps as well. If we had found promotions dedicated to baseball, they may have ranked even higher.
- Business as usual brilliance from 888sport
- Regularly top-ranking odds
- One of the finest options for mobile users
- No dedicated baseball betting bonuses
It is never a surprise to see bet365 topping any kind of best-of list, whether it’s the finest football sites, the best promotions, or just all-around best betting sites out there.
One of the reasons they are so successful is their market diversity is incredibly international; in other words, you don’t just expect sports that are relevant to English or European players. This, of course, makes them perfect for baseball betting markets. You’ll get an arguably unbeatable variety of markets here concerning individual games, as well as broader prop bets on the season, all adhering to that golden odds quality that this operator is so well-known for.
- Amazing market variety on baseball
- Consistently competitive odds
- Perfect all-rounder for those with broad tastes
- May need to go searching for some baseball markets, but they are there
MLB Betting Terminology
Because baseball betting often has very specific terminology many people aren’t used to, it can make you feel like you’ve fallen into a kind of parallel universe, where things look similar, but nothing is quite the same. Well, no need to be fret or let that impact your MLB betting strategy any longer, as all of that terminology is very simple when you break it down.
To help with your baseball betting strategy, we have decided to go through the most complex terminology related to MLB betting. We also have a general betting terminology guide that can aid your understanding of betting markets.
Above all, always remember that knowledge is all-important when it comes to utilising any MLB baseball betting tips.
- Betting Lines (Moneyline) – As discussed earlier, the betting line, or moneyline, is simply the terms of the bet. It can be converted into other odds, such as fractional or decimal. It tells you both the implied probability of the market as well as your potential returns. If you want to know how to read baseball betting lines, use either a betting calculator or a bet slip.
- The points spread /Covering the spread – This is also known as handicap betting in European and Asian markets, and it works largely the same way too. This market aims to even out the difference between mismatched teams, where the favourite must win by a certain number of points while the underdog must only not lose by a specified number of points. Another quite common phrase is to “cover the spread”, which is when you have backed the favourites and they have not only won the game, but have won it by enough points to make a point spread market bet on them successful.
- Run Lines – What is the run line in baseball betting? Well, this is the terminology used in baseball betting for spread betting – the two are often used interchangeably for this sport.
- Chalk – Betting chalk simply means you are betting on the favourite.
- Futures bet – These are bets that are taking place in the future, generally more than a week away at a minimum. They are often used in baseball to refer to bets which are only settled at the end of the season.
- Line Maker – This is another term for the bookmaker, deriving from the term betting lines.
- Prop bet – A prop bet can be any type of bet which deviates from what you would expect as standard for baseball betting markets. Some, such as World Series Winner do count as prop bets, but are still very common. Ultimately, though, the only limit is the imagination of the bookmaker. Using a bet builder will even allow you to create your own prop bets.
- Vig – Also known as “juice” in American betting markets, this is known elsewhere as the “overround” and is the amount above 100% all possible converted odds come to. It represents the advantage the bookmaker has over the punters. The closer this is to 100%, the better the quality of your odds.
- Dime – A bet to win $1000.
- Dollar – Confusingly, in baseball betting terminology, this means to win $100.
- Dog – This is short for the underdog, which is denoted by a + sign on the betting line.
Popular Major League Baseball Betting Markets
In this section, we look at some of the most popular MLB betting market options available.
Best MLB betting site for games lines betting: Betfair
Best MLB betting site for run line betting: Betfred
Best MLB betting site for Total Runs: Paddy Power
Best MLB betting site for American/National League Winner: Ladbrokes
Best MLB betting site for World Series Winner: Coral
History of the MLB
- The National League was formed in 1876, 25 years before the American League which was created in 1901. Two years later, both leagues signed the National Agreement and would cooperate with each other while remaining two separate organisations. This lasted until the end of the century, when the two leagues merged into one sole organisation led by the Commissioner of Baseball.
- By 1869, baseball had its first all-professional team in the Cincinnati Red Stockings. Prior to 1920 in an era referred to as the deadball era, home runs, where players hit the ball into the stands, were very rare. In 1919, baseball suffered a World Series fixing scandal known as the Black Sox Scandal. Nevertheless, the sport continued to grow in popularity and on April 15, 1947, Jackie Robinson became the first African-American to play professional baseball when he started at first base for the Brooklyn Dodgers. From the 1950s onwards, modern stadia and artificial turf began to change the game, and home runs became much more common.
Recent Major League Baseball Winners
|2022||Houston Astros||Philadelphia Phillies|
|2021||Atlanta Braves||Houston Astros|
|2020||Los Angeles Dodgers||Tampa Bay Rays|
|2019||Washington Nationals||Houston Astros|
|2018||Boston Red Sox||Los Angeles Dodgers|
|2017||Houston Astros||Los Angeles Dodgers|
|2016||Chicago Cubs||Cleveland Indians|
|2015||Kansas City Royals||New York Mets|
|2014||San Francisco Giants||Kansas City Royals|
|2013||Boston Red Sox||St. Louis Cardinals|
|2012||San Francisco Giants||Detroit Tigers|
MLB Key Stats
- Cy Young holds the record for the most career wins with 511.
- The person who has played the most All Star games is Hank Aaron.
- When Ichiro Suzuki made 262 hits in 2004, he broke the MLB record.
- Hugh Duffy boasts the highest single-season batting average with 440.
- The record for the longest hitting streak is 56 games and was set in 1941 by Joe DiMaggio.
Similar Tournaments to the MLB
- September – January, NFL: The USA’s professional American football league and richest competition in world sport.
- October – April, NHL: Made up of teams from Canada as well as the USA, this is the national league for ice hockey that culminates in the Stanley Cup.
- August – May, English Premier League: The planet’s biggest domestic soccer league.
Baseball Betting Tips: Making the Most of MLB Betting
The depth of baseball betting is one of its greatest strengths; however, all the different markets available can create so many opportunities that it may be difficult to know where to begin. If you follow each thread, you could fill books with everything a person could learn to improve their MLB betting expertise.
So, what we have decided to do here is pick five pieces of advice that we think can help everyone interested in baseball betting, from casual fans to those more experienced. A blueprint for baseball betting tips greatness, if you will.
1. Take Advantage of the Number of Games Played Each Season
Research is the backbone of smarter betting. Understanding all those statistics is a vital part of baseball betting success – and indeed, all kinds of sporting success. This is why our algorithm system for soccer betting, KickForm, is such an important tool.
The massive number of games played against similar teams makes this sport one of the easiest to research. You can easily find detailed information not just about how each team has been playing recently, but also how well they have played against their upcoming opponents in recent years. It is an absolutely crucial baseball betting commodity you’d be crazy not to take advantage of.
2. Know When to Back the Under Market
We’ve talked about how great and popular over/under markets are for baseball betting. Not only that, but the over market specifically is extremely popular. The reasoning behind this is simple: when it comes to something like total runs, people watch hoping for an exciting game, meaning a lot of runs.
This means that it is not uncommon to find the under market with quite generous odds as a result of operators trying to balance their books. It is not always the case, but is absolutely something worth looking out for.
3. Bet Across the Divisions!
There are six different divisions in Major League Baseball, and there is an East, Central and West division across both the American and National League. With only five teams per division, it’s obvious why these teams can end up playing each other a dizzying number of times. Want help getting your head around them? Our baseball betting tips say you could always bet a little on each. Perhaps by using an accumulator, with that idea in mind.
We’re not necessarily suggesting to bet a lot, of course – you should never bet more than you can afford to lose. However, even a very small amount on each can provide a thread of interest across all corners of the season, which can amplify your understanding of the sport tenfold. You can view it as a kind of research investment if all else fails.
4. Take Advantage of Media Hype
This piece of advice is similar in logic to what we gave with regards to the under market. When there is a heavy amount of betting one way, it can lead to some excellent odds opportunities. In this case, over betting on one market can occur as a result of media hype. The media often works on sensationalism rather than reasoning, meaning they may suggest a result to be more likely than can be considered reasonable. If people are influenced by that, you end up with a surge of betting one way or another. If you think there is an opportunity against that grain, you could end up with some very favourable odds.
5. Bet Early on Long-Term Futures
At the start of a season, it can be extremely hard to predict how a tournament is going to go. This poses a problem for bookmakers, for whom accuracy is their business. Betting early on long term futures, like a World Series Winner, can provide some pretty sensational odds, especially for those of you looking for big returns at a lower stake.
Ultimate MLB FAQs
The Major League Baseball can be viewed on BT Sport.
The regular season is scheduled to begin on 31st March and end on October 2nd.
Yes – unlike the 2021 season, which was cut short by the pandemic, at the time of writing, the 2022 season is expected to have the usual 162 games.
Yes – so long as the site is properly licensed. Although the online gambling laws in the USA can be convoluted, this does nothing to change the rules for betting on American sports.
They might look different. For instance, 1/5 as fractional odds are -500 in American odds, but what they represent is exactly the same, which is both a shared implied probability and return. Baseball betting may use American odds, but they are nothing to fear.
This is simply an American term for the odds given to opposing markets – different terminology, same meaning.
ThePuntersPage Final Say
We’ve talked a lot about understanding betting on baseball, as well as getting your head around different terminology and baseball betting strategy. But one thing we want to make clear before we go is that, when we considered our top five for MLB betting, how much enjoyment we felt you would get out of those sites was always at the forefront of our mind.
And of course, great odds, markets and betting opportunities are a big part of that, but you should never let strategic excellence be your only priority. Useability, for instance, and the ability to follow the sport and get us invested, was just as important. Ultimately, we cannot guarantee winnings, but, if you keep within your limits and make fun your focus, you should be able to use baseball betting to consistently improve your enjoyment of this sport. In the end, we’d say that is the most important of all the baseball betting tips.