Although traditional, quaint windmills can be spotted all across the country, the Netherlands has become largely renowned for its progressiveness. But how does it fare when it comes to online gambling? In this guide, we’ll list the best sports betting sites in the Netherlands and discuss the legality of online gambling, as well as what you should consider while sports betting in this country.
Table of Contents
- Best Betting Sites We Recommend in the Netherlands
- Top 6 Sports Betting Sites in the Netherlands – Ranked
- Betting in the Netherlands – The Current Situation
- Choosing a Good Betting Site in the Netherlands
- Popular Payment Methods in the Netherlands
- Which Sports Are Popular in the Netherlands?
- Best Netherlands Betting Sites FAQs
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
18+ begambleaware.org. New customers only. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus if first bet loses. Wagering requirements: sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), casino 35x. Unless forfeited the sportsbook bonus must be wagered before using the casino bonus. Bonus expires 7 days after opt-in. No deposit required for NI customers. Call 08081699314 to claim. Full T&Cs apply.
New customer offer. Place 5 x £10or more bets to receive £20in free bets. Repeat up to 5 times to receive maximum £100bonus. Min odds 1/2 (1.5). Exchange bets excluded. Payment restrictions apply. T&Cs apply.
18+ | New UK players only | Min deposit req. £10 | Certain deposit methods excluded | Place 1 sport bet (3+ selections) | Excl Horse Racing | Min stake £10 | Max stake £20 | Min Odds 1/5 (1.5) for each selection | Max FreeBet £20 for football only | FreeBet valid for 7 days| FreeBet stake not returned | T&Cs apply
Please note: betsson Welcome Offer not available for UK residents. This offer is only eligible to new customers who haven't used a sports welcome offer of Betsson before. Players will need to verify their age before being able to register an account. Bonus amount must be wagered 10x at a minimum odds of 1.50. System Bets do not count towards wagering. Wagering requirements must be met within 30 days for bonus money to become real money. Bonus money which has not been converted to real money after 30 days will be forfeited. The minimum Deposit for the Sport Welcome Bonus is €10.
18+ | New players only | Min deposit req. £10 ; excludes deposits via Neteller/Skrill/PayPal/Paysafe | Min Odds 1/1 (2.0) | Max FreeBet £10 | The bet token will not be included in any winnings and cannot be exchanged for real money | T&Cs apply
New Customers only; Min. deposit £15; Bonus amount 50% of deposit up to £50; Wager deposit and bonus 8x within 30 days; 4/5 Min. single odds or 2/5 min. acca selection odds; Max. stake contribution equal to the initial bonus; Certain bet types and payment methods excluded; See full terms; Terms apply; 18+
Top 6 Sports Betting Sites in the Netherlands – Ranked
Betting in the Netherlands – The Current Situation
For a nation praised for its liberal attitudes in many areas, it might surprise you to find that the Netherland’s gambling laws are somewhat complex, restrictive, and outdated. Having been pressed for years to get with the times, it looks like the Dutch government have finally listened. As we’ll discuss in a minute, the Remote Gambling Act– set to come into force in 2021 – will be bringing about a sea of changes for the better, as far as gamblers are concerned.
Is Online Sports Betting Legal in the Netherlands?
At the time of writing, the sports betting monopoly in the Netherlands is run by De Lotto and Scientific Games Racing B.V. Players can wager on sporting events at their shops and through the Toto website. It is currently illegal for any offshore operator to offer any form of online gambling in the Netherlands, since a single licence hasn’t been given out.
Despite this, the Dutch government have failed to control the illegal market, and hundreds of offshore operators still offer their services to Dutch users. It is important to note that it is not illegal for Dutch players to play at these sites. The players themselves will never face prosecution, since the Netherlands Gambling Authority doesn’t restrict any online gaming. In the worst-case scenario, they could lose their deposit if the bookie gets blocked.
The Future of Regulated Gambling in the Netherlands
With the Remote Gambling Act set to come into play in 2021, a lot will change for many online gambling websites. Online gambling will be formally legalised, and this will pave the way for licences to be issued to foreign competitors. Big names like bet365, who don’t currently serve Dutch players, will be expected to apply. There will be strict rules to adhere to, however:
- It will be mandatory for players to set maximum credit limits on their accounts, and operators will have to have a responsible gambling strategy in place.
- All operators working in the Dutch market will have to wipe their pre-existing player databases clean.
- Ads cannot target vulnerable groups.
- Advertising between 6am – 9pm everyday will be banned.
- Customer service agents must be able to communicate in Dutch.
- Player identity must be verified before registration can be finalised.
Choosing a Good Betting Site in the Netherlands
If you’re looking to take the risk now with an offshore betting website, we do have some advice for you:
- Safety: While it’s always vital to register with an operator you can trust, this is especially important in the Netherlands. Until the Remote Gambling Act, operators will not be supervised, and players will therefore not be guaranteed fairness or protection from gambling addiction. Be sure to check if the website is licensed from a reputable jurisdiction, such as the UK Gambling Commission.
- Language: Due to the strict regulations, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a bookmaker that offers Dutch as an option. Most sites will let you select English, German or French, though – choose the one you’re most comfortable with.
- Currency: Find a site which lets you bet in Euro – this will avoid you paying hefty exchange rates.
- Odds: You won’t get good value on your bets if your sportsbook isn’t offering you good prices. Use our odds overround calculator to find out its profit margin and determine whether you’re getting your money’s worth.
- VPN: This comes with its own set of risks, but locals, tourists or foreigners who want to bet on international companies not operating in the Netherlands often do so using a VPN. VPNs hide your IP address and fool bookmakers into thinking you’re accessing from an eligible country. If you’re caught, however, they’ll be within their rights to shut down your account.
Popular Payment Methods in the Netherlands
In an attempt to control the market, the Dutch government did try to block transactions with online bookmakers in the past. However, banks and payment service providers weren’t having it, and their efforts were unsuccessful. iDeal, a Netherlands-based payment method popularly used for online transactions, is offered by a variety of bookmakers, as well as international names like PayPal, Skrill, Neteller and bank cards.
Which Sports Are Popular in the Netherlands?
Football is the most popular sport in the Netherlands, which is unsurprising given the countless players that have mesmerised in the trademark orange national team shirt. The Eredivisie is the top league in the country, featuring storied clubs such as Ajax, Feyernoord and PSV.
Second on the list is hockey. The Netherlands proudly organised the 2014 Hockey World Cup in the Hague – a cup the Dutch team has won three teams – and people across the country love to come together to back their country.
Best Netherlands Betting Sites FAQs
👩⚖️ Is betting in the Netherlands legal?
No offshore bookmakers are licensed to offer online gambling services in the Netherlands. However, the Netherlands Gambling Authority doesn’t restrict any online gaming, meaning that a player engaging in online gaming cannot be prosecuted.
🦺 Is Holland betting Safe?
Until the Remote Gambling Act comes into play in 2021, players are unprotected in the face of any rogue sportsbooks, since the regulations don’t guarantee them of any protection. It is therefore crucial that players only register with trusted brands.
🏆 Which are these “trusted brands” you speak of?
Refer to our Best Betting Sites for Sports Betting in the Netherlands table above for a list of our recommended bookmakers.
ThePuntersPage Final Say
Whether you’re punting while on holiday or you’ve made the Netherlands your home, it’s always important to know the legality surrounding online betting. Significant changes are brewing in the market, and this spells great news for punters. Till then, we’ve listed the best sports betting sites in the Netherlands to ensure you don’t take any unnecessary risks on shady-looking bookmakers.