In this article, we include our list of the top 2 Bulgarian betting sites, as well as an overview of a few popular payments methods and a few points to keep in mind when comparing different operators.
- Online Betting in Bulgaria Explained
- Best Betting Sites We Recommend for Betting in Bulgaria
- Is Online Betting Legal in Bulgaria?
- Popular Payment Methods for Bulgarian Customers
- Live Betting in Bulgaria
- How to Bet Online in Bulgaria
- Choosing a Good Bulgarian Betting Site
- Other Country Betting Guides – Click Each Flag To Learn More
- Best Bulgarian Betting Sites FAQs
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
Online Betting in Bulgaria Explained
As the number of international betting sites allowed in Bulgaria continues to rise, online betting continues to become more popular among punters in the country. Whether it is betting on football, tennis, volleyball or any other sport, the options available are endless.
After pinpointing the best Bulgarian betting sites in the table above, we shall now look into the most important points worth keeping in mind when choosing which site to start using.
Best Betting Sites We Recommend for Betting in Bulgaria
18+ New UK players only | Min deposit req. £10 | Certain deposit methods excluded | Place 1 sport bet (3+ selections) | Excl Horse Racing | Min stake £10 | Max stake £20 | Min Odds 2/1 (3.0) | Max FreeBet £20 for football only | FreeBet valid for 7 days | FreeBet stake not returned | Full T&Cs apply. Bet Responsibly. BeGambleAware.org #ad
18+ Min Deposit: £5. Maximum Free Bet: £30. First bet on a Football or Horse Racing multiple with 3+ selections. Overall odds: 3.00 (2/1) or higher. Free Bets available upon settlement of the qualifying bet. This is offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered. 50 Bonus Spins credited on placement of qualifying Acca bet.50x bonus wagering applies as do weighting requirements, bonus Spins only available on selected games and expires 7 days after being awarded. Debit card deposits only (exclusions apply). Full T&Cs apply. Bet Responsibly. BeGambleAware.org #ad
Is Online Betting Legal in Bulgaria?
Gambling in general was illegal in Bulgaria up until 1993, similar to its neighbouring countries which were previously part of the Soviet Union. Online gambling in particular became legal in 2008, and was only regulated four years later in 2012 by the Gambling Act.
However, even when online gambling was legalised, there were many sites which were restricted and could not be accessed in Bulgaria since they did not hold a licence to operate within the country, or to accept Bulgarian customers either.
This was partially due to the high fees imposed by the Bulgarian government in order to regulate online gambling. The scenario changed in 2013, when the Gambling Reform Bill proposed a change in regulation which meant betting companies were asked to only pay a one-time licencing fee and a set percentage on turnover as tax.
Since that change, there have been a number of betting sites who have applied for the licence and have been operating within Bulgaria (or accepting Bulgarian punters) ever since. Having said that, there are still quite a number of large-scale betting sites which still do not have the necessary credentials, and hence have restricted Bulgarian punters from betting with them.
Bulgarian bettors are allowed to bet as long as they are at least 18 years old. As in some other countries, the government does not apply any tax on winnings from local or international betting sites.
Popular Payment Methods for Bulgarian Customers
By far the most popular payment methods among Bulgarian customers would be using the widely accepted debit and credit card options, such as VISA and Mastercard. Many betting sites also offer customers the opportunity to use e-wallets such as PayPal, Skrill and NETELLER.
If you are looking to make payments in Bulgarian lev (BGN), it is important to note that not all betting sites accept it – the highly regarded bwin do, however. Overall, though, we strongly suggest checking beforehand.
Live Betting in Bulgaria
The ability to bet in-play at international betting sites is now a standard everywhere. One of the few differences between live betting in Bulgaria and live betting in the UK would be which matches have live streaming available, given differences in the broadcasting rights in each country.
Other than that, you can rest assured that in-play betting will be available on matches going on around the world at nearly any time of the day. If live betting is what you are after, then we suggest checking out features such as cash out availability and live match stats, as well as historical statistics and bet builders.
How to Bet Online in Bulgaria
Provided you have chosen a betting site which accepts Bulgarian bettors, the rest of the process is fairly straightforward. You would need to create an account and provide a few legal documents to verify your identity.
After that, you would need to select a preferred method of payment and deposit your first funds into the account, and you should be ready to go. The next step would then be choosing which match you wish to bet on and to have a look at the markets available for that match.
The most popular sport in Bulgaria would probably be football, volleyball and tennis, with the country even having a few world-class exports of its own. Here we must mention Dimitar Berbatov, who played football for UK giants Manchester United, and Grigor Dimitrov, who was ranked world number 3 in tennis just a few years ago.
Choosing a Good Bulgarian Betting Site
When looking for the best Bulgarian betting sites, there are several variables to consider if you wish to make an informed choice. Here are a few of the most important features we look at.
- Sportsbook Variety: If it is sports that you are interested in, then you should make sure that the betting site in question offers a wide variety. Here, options may vary from football, archery, volleyball and snooker. Some large betting sites offer their customers more than 40 different sports to choose from.
- Pre-Match Odds: The most common type of markets offered are the pre-match markets, which basically allow punters to put their money on a team or a player to win or lose or to score or not score before the match even starts. At this point, it is a good idea to compare the number of different markets available on different betting sites so as to see which bookmaker offers the most extensive options. You may also compare the value of the pre-market odds too to find the most competitive odds for a particular match.
- Security: This one is paramount. No one wants to enter card details onto a site without the correct security measures in place. Keep an eye out for the padlock next to the URL in your browser – this means that any information you send towards or receive from that particular website is private.
- Customer Support: Most high-quality betting sites have made sure to keep customer support very high on their priority list. This can normally be seen by the number of options given to customers to reach out whenever they need, the most popular of which would be 24/7 live chat and email.
- Design and Usability: Lastly, when choosing a which betting site to use, you want to make sure that it designed in a manner that makes it easy to use, even across different devices. Many betting sites will have features such as Quick Deposits and Quick Bets to make the most popular tasks as easy as possible for punters. Navigating the site should also be straightforward, so if after accessing a betting site you feel lost because of the lack of menus or general organisation, then probably that is not the ideal betting site for you. Check out a few reviews or online forums to get an idea of what other punters have had to say about the betting sites you are considering.
Other Country Betting Guides – Click Each Flag To Learn More
Best Bulgarian Betting Sites FAQs
Based on our research and experience, bwin and 22Bet are the best Bulgarian betting sites.
Yes, online betting in Bulgaria became legal in 2008 for all adults over the age of 18.
Yes, some of them do. It will be much easier to find a betting site that accepts the euro and/or the British pound. If you wish to bet in BGN (Bulgarian lev), we suggest bwin.
Yes, many betting sites allow bank transfers. That being said, these normally require between 3-7 workings days to be processed successfully, so you might want to try using a debit/credit card for a faster service.
ThePuntersPage Final Say
Betting in Bulgaria involves few differences when compared to betting in the United Kingdom. With sites such as bwin available in the country while also accepting the Bulgarian lev, betting online has become easier than ever.
Our guide highlights all the important details a punter should look out for when choosing and comparing different bookmakers. As always, we remind all our readers to be responsible while betting, and to remember that enjoying yourself should be at the forefront of your experience.