Sports in Italy is huge, as is the online gambling market. The government has progressed from their closed market, relaxing certain regulations and giving outside operators the opportunity to enter the country, breathing new life into the industry in doing so. Below we mention the most important factors to consider when choosing the right betting site which accepts Italian players and residents.
- Online Betting in Italy Explained
- Is Online Betting Legal in Italy?
- Choosing a Good Online Italian Bookmaker
- Popular Payment Methods for Italian Bettors
- Live Betting in Italy
- How To Bet Online in Italy
- Other Country Betting Guides – Click Each Flag To Learn More
- Best Italy Betting Sites FAQs
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
Best Betting Sites We Recommend for Betting in Italy
€15 split as follows: FREE €5 + €5 Casino BLU + €5 in Slot ROSA free spins. Welcome Bonus is valid only for new registered customers using the promo code BB_TUTTO. The Bonus, equal to 50% of the first deposit up to €30, will be credited to you within 5 days from the date of the first deposit. The Bonus cannot be withdrawn and can be used for all online games offered by SNAI. T&Cs apply.
€5 on your First Deposit – Valid only for new customers. Bet €10 or more on sports bets on your first deposit and get €5 within 7 days from registration. 50% Bonus up to €300 – Valid only for new customers. Get a 50% bonus from multiple sports bets made within 7 days of registration. Bonus corresponds to 50% of the amount of the first deposit and does not exceed €300. T&Cs apply.
Register and make your first deposit. Select “BONUS 1a RICARICA SCOMMESSE FINO A 300€ REAL” to activate the welcome offer and receive a 100% Fun Bonus up to €100, which, when unlocked, can reach up to a REAL BONUS of €300. For the Fun Bonus to be activated, you need to deposit on single or multiple bets (excl. system bets) with a minimum multiplier of 1.50. The amount will be credited to you within 48 hours of receipt of the deposit. T&Cs apply.
Register on GoldBet.it and get 100% of your first deposit up to €500 in Bonus Sport + a Virtual Bonus of €5 + €250 in PlayBonus Slots. In addition to the Sport Welcome Bonus, if your first deposit is at least €20, you will also receive an additional €5 Virtual Bonus. The Virtual Bonus will be paid automatically upon your first deposit and can only be spent on Virtual Bets. Furthermore, if your first deposit is at least €20, you will receive €250 in PlayBonus Slots to be used on all the games in the “Play Bonus 501” section. T&Cs apply.
Log in to your account on Marathonbet.it. Make a deposit of at least €10 using the promo code SPORT2023. Get 50% of your deposit credited to your Bonus balance right away, up to a maximum of €20. To unlock the Welcome Bonus, place Live bets worth 4 times the amount you deposited plus the Bonus amount, on events with minimum odds of 1.50. T&Cs apply.
Offer is valid for new customers only. To verify your account, send or upload the photo of your identity card (both sides) directly from your account. Within 24 hours of verification, the fun bonus will be credited to your account. T&Cs apply.
Open an account and make a qualifying deposit of at least €5 to get a bonus of the same amount, up to a maximum of €100. Claim your deposit bonus by going to the ‘Customer' section from the Services menu, then clicking on ‘Offers', ‘Available offers' and ‘Request'. To unlock your deposit bonus, you have to wager the deposit amount once on any sports of your choice. T&Cs apply.
Register an account with LeoVegas, select the Sports welcome offer and enter your details. After logging in, go to the My Offers page and click on the ‘Deposit' button. Deposit at least €10. Bet the deposited amount (up to €400) at least 8 times, using real money, on sporting events with a minimum odd of 1.80. Select the option in your coupons to get the 50% bonus up to €200. T&Cs apply.
Online Betting in Italy Explained
Sports betting is one of the most popular forms of gambling in Italy, with the Italian sports betting industry seeing a huge growth in the last few years after online betting was legalised in 2006. There are physical betting shops all over the country, but the online betting industry in the country is rising in exponential numbers.
Before 2006, Italy was a no-go area in terms of online betting – the government had blacklisted over 500 online bookmakers to pave way for only two state-backed monopolies. However, after facing infringement proceedings by the European Union on the prohibition of non-Italian bookmakers, a decree was introduced in 2006, thereby liberalising the market.
Further developments have been made over the years to slowly but surely become more open to licensed betting sites within Italy. Although there are still many ways which the country can move forward, it has made major strides in the right direction. Currently, there are lots of online betting sites in Italy (both local and international) offering top-notch services, even resembling those in the United Kingdom.
Sports in Italy
Italy is one of the biggest sporting nations in Europe with a massive pedigree in many sporting events. Thanks to this, they play host to some of the biggest sporting events in Europe and beyond, which, being massive betting opportunities, will often be catered to by Italian bookmakers. These events include:
- Football: Serie A – Considered the fourth best football league in Europe and arguably the world.
- Tennis: The ATP Finals – The unofficial fifth Grand slam will be taking place in Turin until 2025.
- Rugby: Six Nations – Reserved for the six best European nations, Italy have an excellent rugby team but tend to struggle during the Six Nations.
- Golf: Italian Open – Previously part of the European Tour Rolex series, the Italian Open is the biggest golfing event in the country.
Is Online Betting Legal in Italy?
In a word, yes. Italy has come a long way to reach this point, however. Prior to 2006, betting was essentially illegal bar from a couple of state-owned businesses for sports and horse racing.
Following an inquiry by the European Union which found that Italy had blocked well over 500 betting sites from operating in the market, the Italian government were forced to change their ways.
After much deliberating, in March of 2010 a new law was officially passed by the government. This new legislation allowed for operators in the European Union and beyond to begin operating in Italy for the first time.
However, it's not quite that simple, because in order for a bookmaker to actually offer its services, it must first apply for an Italian licence. These are issued by the Agenzia delle Dogane e dei Monopoli, which is responsible for regulating the industry.
There are a number of requirements for bookmakers to comply to in order to be eligible for the permit, including keeping a high level of security, a certain amount of revenue production within Europe, and of course a payment to the authority of €350,000.
Laws for Online Betting in Italy
As you can imagine, a lot has changed in the tax laws over the years to ensure that the betting sector is well regulated. In October 2022, the relevant Italian authority lowered the tax on retail betting revenue to 20%. As a result, online bookmakers will now have to pay 24% of their gross betting revenues.
On another note, the law has introduced a minimum €1 bet and fix odds bets winnings will be capped at €50,000 (£44,320). Punters also do not need to pay tax on their winnings. Keeping a look out for these kinds of regulations are crucial whenever you bet online abroad.
In recent years, the betting business in Italy has suffered a financial setback due to a 2019 advertising law. The so-called “Dignity Decree” prohibits all forms of advertising for gambling companies, including jersey and stadium sponsors, meaning that both betting companies and sports clubs have lost contracts and potential revenue.
Choosing a Good Online Italian Bookmaker
Here are a few factors that you should keep in mind when choosing an Italian betting site:
- Choosing a good bookmaker is an important decision when betting in another country. In this case, we advise choosing a site based in Italy or at least one that is very popular among Italian punters, as these would be up to date with laws and regulations and can offer better odds on local sporting events.
- You should also look for bookies which offer the best odds on the market, as this is highly essential to enhancing your winnings. Your profit margin is tied to how competitive your odds are, so comparing and contrasting different sites for the prices they have available is not a bad idea.
- Choose a betting site which accepts the euro as a currency option to avoid paying for exchange rate fees.
- Consider an Italian bookmaker which offers plenty of promotions. Most of the sites listed on this page all come with a variety of bonuses, making for a superior betting experience.
Popular Payment Methods for Italian Bettors
There are several ways which bettors can deposit and withdrawal funds with an online Italian bookie, with most, if not all forms of payment methods available to local punters – depending on the site in question, of course.
The most preferred method for betting in Italy takes the form of debit and credit cards issued by Mastercard and Visa. Also popular are e-wallet platforms like NETELLER, PayPal, and Skrill, while other options such as Trustly and paysafecard are widely used too.
Being the national currency, the euro is the most widely accepted medium of exchange across local betting sites. It should be noted that deposits and withdrawals are free of tax, meaning there are no extra charges on your winnings.
Live Betting in Italy
Live betting is available in Italy, and practically works more or less the same way as it does in the United Kingdom.
The service has not only become much more popular, but it is now considered a must have for any bookie. All our nine bookies offer great live betting options, our top picks being Snai and Eurobet.
Livestreaming on the other hand isn’t as widespread as live betting. Due to broadcasting rights, options may vary from one operator to another. Therefore, it’s a good idea to check out the specific offerings of any site you are interested in before signing up.
We suggest Snai, Marathonbet, and Eurobet for livestreaming, as they offer a great range of other products too.
How To Bet Online in Italy
Betting online in Italy is as simple as betting in the UK, with a typically safe, quick and easy process involved. Simply follow the steps below to get started:
- Selecting your bookmaker: The first step is actually choosing the bookmaker, so this article should come in handy here! As previously mentioned, the sites we have recommended above all offer some amazing products – it is up to you to choose the one or ones which are best suited to you.
- Create your account: All you have to do in order to create an account is provide your basic details, including your address, mobile number, and username. You’ll then need to submit some form of verification for your details, such as a copy of your ID card, driver's licence or passport.Note: Some bookies may ask you to choose a welcome offer at this stage.
- Welcome offer and Depositing funds: At this point, you should make your first deposit ensuring that it is eligible for the welcome bonus you’ve chosen. This will be easy to do, as Italian betting sites accept a great deal of deposit and withdrawal options which we covered earlier in this article.
- Place your bets and withdraw your winnings: The best part of the process, you can begin betting on any sports or event on offer, make sure to use any promotional offers which may be available. Withdrawals are the same as deposits but there may be some changes in what services can be used to make withdrawals.
Sports betting in Italy is enormous with an estimated €1.17 billion made in revenue for online fixed odds and card games sector. Italians love their football betting sites and wager on football a lot, despite the fact that a significant amount of people also bet on volleyball and basketball.
Betting in Italy does not require any extraordinary strategy as the normal rudiments of picking a sporting event, wagering on your preferred betting lines and then executing the bet are mostly universal. If you are new to betting, you should to stick with more familiar betting markets until you gain enough experience to get involved in complex markets.
Other Country Betting Guides – Click Each Flag To Learn More
Best Italy Betting Sites FAQs
Snai, Eurobet, and Marathonbet are among the best betting sites in Italy.
Yes, online betting is legal in Italy. The Italian government has an institution totally dedicated to licensing and supervising betting activities both online and on land.
The euro, being the local currency, is widely accepted by online betting providers in Italy; however, when using international betting sites, other currencies will also be accepted.
The most preferred payment methods for betting in Italy are debit and credit cards issued by Mastercard or Visa, though other e-wallet platforms like NETELLER, Skrill, Trustly and paysafecard are also widely accepted.
No, deposits and withdrawals with online bookies in Italy are tax-free, so there is no income tax on your winnings.
ThePuntersPage Final Say
Notwithstanding the similarities between sports betting in Italy and in the UK, it is important to always read and understand the terms and conditions of your preferred bookie before signing up. If you come across something new and do not understand anything, you can contact the customer service of your betting site for clarity before proceeding. A lot of popular and international betting sites are operating in Italy, so be sure to go by this guide when choosing the best bookmaker that suits your needs.