The Ryder Cup golf competition takes place every two years on alternating courses in Europe and the United States. In this article, we describe in detail all the most important points about Ryder Cup betting, including odds, tips, predictions and the most popular betting markets worth keeping in mind.
- Tournament Structure for the Ryder Cup – 2021
- Best Betting Sites We Recommend for the Ryder Cup
- Best Bookies for Ryder Cup – Top 5 Ranked
- Ryder Cup Betting Odds, Promotions, Tips & Predictions
- 5 Reasons to Bet on The Ryder Cup
- Best Ryder Cup Betting Sites with Live Streaming
- Popular Ryder Cup Betting Markets
- History of the Ryder Cup
- Upcoming Sporting Events
- Similar Tournaments to the Ryder Cup
- Ryder Cup Betting FAQs
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
Tournament Structure for the Ryder Cup – 2021
The Ryder Cup pits a team of 12 men representing Europe against 12 men representing the USA. The selection process is different for both teams.
The European team, for example, is comprised of the top four players on the European points list which is otherwise known as the Race to Dubai. These are joined by the five leading players on the world points list, providing they haven’t qualified through the Race to Dubai.
Finally, the European team is completed by three wild card picks or captain’s picks. For the Americans, their captain has six wild card entries to select which will team up with the top six in the USA’s points list.
Play takes place over three days starting on a Friday and finishing on a Sunday. It is a match play tournament with a total of 28 matches, each played over 18 holes. On Friday and Saturday, there are four four-ball matches (between two teams of two golfers scoring for themselves) and four foursomes (between two teams of two golfers taking alternate shots).
On the final day there are 12 singles matches where players from both teams compete against each other. The winner or winners of each match earn a point for their team with half a point awarded for any tied round. At the end of the tournament, the team with the most points will be crowned the winner.
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New customers only. Place your FIRST bet on any sportsbook market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £20. Only deposits made using cards or Apple Pay will qualify for this promotion. T&Cs apply. Paddy's Rewards Club: Get a £10 free bet when you place 5x bets of £10+. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
• New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit, and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative price Evens+) within 7 days of registration. • First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto, and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 48 hours of bet settlement. • Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply. See full terms below. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ - Offer for new customers at bet365. Min deposit requirement. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits and are available for use upon settlement of bets to value of qualifying deposit. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first 5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4x 5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. No cashout, restrictions + Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
Best Bookies for Ryder Cup – Top 5 Ranked
Ryder Cup Betting Odds, Promotions, Tips & Predictions
The next edition of the Ryder Cup will begin in September 2022. We will be adding more information on the tournament closer to the starting date. Come back soon! In the meantime, why not check out our betting guide below and get yourself equipped for the competition.
Ryder Cup Betting Odds 2022
Ryder Cup Betting Tips & Predictions 2022
Check out our 2021 Tips below:
- The United States have home advantage which makes them the favourites, compelled all the more by the fact that no European fans, save for those that live in the US, will be present which should lead to hostile, if friendly, crowd.
- It’s hard to ignore that Team USA look to be the stronger of the two teams too. American captain Steve Stricker is able to call on eight of the top 10 in the world rankings, while his entire team are all within the world’s top 22.
- Padraig Harrington captains Europe for the tournament we have been made to wait an extra year for. Europe do at least have the world number one in their ranks in Spain’s Jon Rahm who at 7/2 looks a good shout to be top European points scorer. Elsewhere, Europe have five players in the top 20 of the world rankings so a lot will rest on the shoulders of the Spaniard as well as Rory McIlroy.
- Rahm has had a good year, winning his first major and finishing second in the FedEx Cup standings to Patrick Cantlay who has been selected for Team USA. As for his previous Ryder Cup performance, Rahm played in Paris three years ago, taking part in three matches, losing both his fourballs before winning his singles match with Tiger Woods.
- The other thing in the European team’s favour is experience. Harrington has packed his team with veterans such as Sergio Garcia, Lee Westwood and Ian Poulter who have racked up 25 matches between them. In all, Team Europe have called upon seven golfers from the group that won in 2018.
- In contrast, this is a relatively new American team who have six rookies in their ranks. Whether, given USA’s poor recent record, the move towards new blood over experience will pay off we will have to wait and see. It’ll certainly be interesting. World number two Dustin Johnson, former world number one Jordan Spieth and Brooks Koepka are the only USA golfers retained from Hazeltine in 2016 when the USA last won. Koepka has played two Ryder Cups so far, winning one and losing one, and can be backed to pick up the most points for Team USA at around 14/1.
- Based on the clues we pick up from the practise sessions, we can have an idea of which golfers may be paired together. For Europe that will likely mean Rory McIlroy teaming up with Ian Poulter and the all-Spanish duo of Jon Rahm and Sergio Garcia lining up Friday morning. That is how they were partnered in Wednesday's practice groups. We can probably expect Tommy Fleetwood and Lee Westwood to feature in the Friday-morning foursomes matches too.
- For the Americans, Jordan Spieth and Justin Thomas could well open up having been paired in Wednesday's practice group along with Xander Schauffele and Patrick Cantlay. Of that group, only Spieth and Thomas have any Ryder Cup experience which is where Europe will hope to capitalise and continue their dominance in the foursomes.
- Traditionally, the team that takes the lead on the Friday go on to win the competition. That has certainly been the case for the last three Ryder Cups and if Europe can get out ahead, then they could bring the trophy back to this side of the Ocean come Monday.
Ryder Cup Betting Promotions 2022
- Another of the best Ryder Cup betting offers available can be found at 888sport, where you can enjoy £30 in free bets for use on Ryder Cup (plus a £10 casino bonus) when betting £10.
- A great promotion that will work well with Ryder Cup betting is SportingBet’s welcome offer. This consists of up to £50 in free bets, a £10 casino bonus, an Odds Boost Token, and 20 free spins.
5 Reasons to Bet on The Ryder Cup
- It is one of the most eagerly anticipated events in golf.
- It is also one of the most prestigious.
- It only comes around every two years.
- You can bet on the two balls where players play against each other for team points.
- It features USA vs Europe!
Best Ryder Cup Betting Sites with Live Streaming
Popular Ryder Cup Betting Markets
Bookmakers offer a huge range of golf bets and, for the biggest events in golf, such as the Ryder Cup, they wil also run plenty of golf betting promotions.See below for the best Ryder Cup betting markets.
Ryder Cup – Who Will Lift the Trophy Betting
This is quite simply a bet on which team, the USA or Europe, will win and which captain will lift the famous Ryder Cup trophy on the final day. When Ryder Cup outright betting, don’t forget that the competition can end in a draw.
Ryder Cup – Correct Score Betting
Just like betting on the result of a football match, you can bet on the final score of the Ryder Cup. By predicting the result as well as the winner you will stretch the odds of the bet above.
Best Ryder Cup betting site for correct score: NetBet
Ryder Cup – Top Scorer Betting
Ryder Cup betting allows you to predict which golfer will finish as the highest earner of points over the three days of the tournament.
Best Ryder Cup betting site for top scorer: Novibet
Ryder Cup – Singles, Four-Balls and Foursomes Betting
As per the Ryder Cup structure that you'll find below, there are rounds of four-balls, foursomes and singles, all of which offer the chance to make a Ryder Cup bet on who the winner or winning pair of each match might be.
Best Ryder Cup betting site for Singles, Four-balls and Foursomes: SportNation
History of the Ryder Cup
In order to promote his seed business, Sam Ryder, a successful British seed salesman, created the concept of an international match between the United Kingdom and the United States. As a by-product of the tournament, it was also hoped that more American players would be encouraged to play in the Open Championship and, likewise, more British professionals to compete in the US Open.
The first Ryder Cup was intended for Wentworth Golf Club in 1926, but a strike meant that many of the US team could not attend, and a team of replacement players from British Commonwealth countries took part instead.
The first seeds of the Ryder’s tournament were sown, and a year later the first US VS UK event took place as planned in Worcester, Massachusetts, with the American team winning the inaugural tournament. The teams were made up of 10 players a side which later on, in 1969 to be exact, increased to 12 men per team.
By 1979, with the American side having won 15 of the previous 16 Ryder Cups, Jack Nicklaus proposed that the British team was expanded to include players from wider Europe to restore some competition to proceedings. The move worked, and the Ryder Cup became far more competitive as a result.
The Ryder Cup is now the most eagerly anticipated event in the game of golf. The 43rd Ryder Cup had to be cancelled in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but is set to take place in September 2021.
Past Winners of the Ryder Cup
|2018||Europe||17 ½ – 10½||France|
|2016||United States||17 - 11||United States|
|2014||Europe||16 ½ - 11 ½||Scotland|
|2012||Europe||14 ½ 13 ½||United States|
|2010||Europe||14 ½ 13 ½||Wales|
|2008||United States||16 ½ - 11 ½||United States|
|2006||Europe||18 ½ - 9 ½||Ireland|
|2004||Europe||18 ½ - 9 ½||United States|
|2002||Europe||15 ½ - 12 ½||England|
|1999||United States||14 ½ 13 ½||United States|
Ryder Cup Key Stats
- America’s Phil Mickelson has made most appearances in the Ryder Cup, a total of 12, than any other golfer.
- The highest scorer in Ryder Cup history is Spain’s Sergio García, who has banked a total of 25 ½ points for Europe.
- García also became the youngest ever player in the competition’s history in 1999 when he played for Europe in the famous Battle of Brookline at the age of 19 years and 258 days.
- At 51 years and 20 days in 1993, USA’s Raymond Floyd is the oldest Ryder Cup player of all time.
Upcoming Sporting Events
Similar Tournaments to the Ryder Cup
- 30th September – 3rd October 2021, Alfred Dunhill Links Championship: This event is built around two separate competitions, one for solo playing pros and one for amateur golfer and professional partner teams of two.
- 7th October – 10th October 2021, Shriners Hospitals Open: This charitable event takes place each October in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
- 2022 (dates to be confirmed), The Presidents Cup: This is a team tournament that works in the same way as the Ryder. The Presidents tests the USA team against the rest of the world with the exception of European players.
Ryder Cup Betting FAQs
The Ryder Cup will be broadcasted live and exclusive on Sky Sports.
Since 1979, the number of points needed to win the Ryder Cup is 14½ from the 28 available.
Yes, the Ryder Cup can be tied in which case the defending champions retain the trophy.
There are 12 players in each team.
The Ryder Cup tournament takes place over three days, starting on a Friday and ending on Sunday. There are four four-ball matches and four foursomes on Friday and Saturday. On Sunday – the final day – there are 12 singles matches where players from both teams (USA and Europe) compete against each other. The winner or winners of each match win a point for their team; any tied rounds are awarded half a point.
No. The Ryder Cup is not a singles stroke play event, but a team’s match play competition.
ThePuntersPage Final Say
The Ryder Cup pits the best players from Europe against the best golfers the USA has to offer. Every two years, these players compete on alternate sides of the Atlantic to see who can win the Ryder Cup, a tournament that has been going for close to 100 years. Like the less prestigious Presidents Cup, in which the USA takes on a team of internationals made up from non-European and non-American players, the Ryder Cup is a team competition and by far the biggest event in golf. Punters everywhere are looking forward to taking part in some Ryder Cup betting.