eSports Betting - The Ultimate Guide For Beginners
In this article we explain all you need to know about eSports betting including what eSports betting is, where you can bet on eSports, available eSports betting markets, where you can watch eSports and more.
eSports Betting – The Ultimate Guide To Betting On eSports
To some, it may be a completely new dimension within gambling, however eSports betting is becoming increasingly popular with analysts estimating that over 15 million people and $23billion will be wagered on eSports by 2020.
Where there’s competition, there’s bookmakers – and with the kind of projected figures mentioned above, it’s easy to see why more and more bookmakers wanting a piece of the pie are entering the eSports betting world.
What Are eSports?
eSports (also known as electronic sports) is a form of competitive video gaming that involves professional teams or individuals who compete against each other in a league or tournament setting either online or within a local area network (LAN).
The table below features bookmakers that currently offer eSports markets along with their current sign-up bonus. We’ve also put together a list of the best eSports sites if you’re looking for extra guidance.
The term eSports comprises of a wide range of games and genres. Deciding which game you want to bet on can be crucial for success. Bear in mind the following:
- What genres do you enjoy?
- Which games (if any) do you play?
- Which games (if any) are you most knowledgeable about?
eSports Betting Markets
There are a range of eSports betting markets available and the number will only increase. Below, we’ve listed some of the most popular markets that people bet on along with what the markets mean.
- Match Winner 2-Way – Who will win.
- Match Handicap – The alleged superior team will be given an appropriate handicap to level the playing field. For example, if you bet on Team X with a handicap of -1 goal, they must win by more than one goal to cover their handicap and win you your bet.
- Totals – The number of specified events (goals/kills/rounds etc) in a game being over or under a given figure set by the bookmaker.
eSports Betting Odds
Understanding betting odds and what they mean is extremely important. In simple terms, betting odds reflect the probability of a given outcome happening. For help with converting odds from fractional odds to decimal odds and vice versa you can use our Odds Conversion Table.
6 Factors To Consider When Betting On eSports
Below we’ve listed 6 things you should consider when betting on eSports. For a more detailed analyses you can read our eSports Tips & Advice article .
- Know the teams and players competing.
- Know the maps and formats.
- Stay on top of the latest strategies and tactics.
- Find value.
- Shop around for the best odds.
- Track your results.
Where Can I Watch eSports?
If you’re reading this then hopefully by now you’ll have a much clearer idea of what eSports betting is as well as what bookmakers allow you to bet on eSports and how the most popular markets work. eSports looks set to continue to grow so expect to see more and more coverage surrounding the new craze.