The Newmarket Cambridgeshire Meeting is a three-day race which takes place every September. In 2022, the meeting begins on September 22 and finishes on September 24.
The feature race of the meeting is the Cambridgeshire Handicap, which is run on the final day of the festival. This race is one of the most historic on the UK racing calendar, having first been run in 1839. It forms part of the ‘Autumn Double’ alongside the Cesarewitch, is for horses aged three and older, and run over nine furlongs.
- Tournament Structure for the Newmarket Cambridgeshire Meeting
- Cambridgeshire Handicap Odds, Betting Tips, Promotions & Predictions
- 5 Reasons To Bet on Cambridgeshire Handicap
- Best Betting Sites for Cambridgeshire Handicap Meeting Betting
- Betting Sites With Cambridgeshire Meeting Live Streaming
- Popular Cambridgeshire Meeting Betting Markets
- History of Cambridgeshire Handicap
- Similar Tournaments to Cambridgeshire Meeting
- Upcoming Sporting Events
- Cambridgeshire Meeting Betting FAQs
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
Tournament Structure for the Newmarket Cambridgeshire Meeting
- The three-day meeting will be held over the Rowley Mile track at Newmarket.
- Eight races take place on the first day, before seven on the second and third days.
- Over the course of the three days, there are 10 Class 1 races and a further six Class 2 races, including the feature race of the meeting.
- The shortest race of the meeting is six furlongs, with the longest one being two miles.
- The Cambridgeshire Handicap is usually run on a Saturday, where big crowds turn up to the racecourse to watch, while thousands follow via TV or live streaming.
- The winner of the Cambridgeshire Handicap wins £103,080, making it one of the more lucrative races across the UK racing calendar.
Cambridgeshire Handicap Odds, Betting Tips, Promotions & Predictions
The stature of the Cambridgeshire Handicap is such that it gets the prime slot in the meeting, meaning bookmakers take it seriously, offering great odds and plenty of promotions and offers.
For more on those, as well as the best betting tips and predictions, read on!
Cambridgeshire Meeting Betting Odds 2022
|Electrical Storm||16/1||William Hill|
|First View||16/1||William Hill|
Cambridgeshire Handicap Betting Tips & Predictions 2022
The Cambridgeshire Handicap is a flat race over 1m1f on the Rowley Mile course at Newmarket. This course has a 1m2f straight, so there will be no bends for the runners to negotiate – but there is the famous dip. That comes a furlong from the end of the race, as the penultimate furlong of the track is downhill before the runners and riders have to go uphill for the last furlong to the finish line.
The 1m1f distance isn’t a regular one among the big races on the UK scene, the bigger races tend to be over a furlong shorter or a furlong longer. However, there have been a few high-level races over this distance this season, such as the Earl of Sefton Stakes, the Strensall Stakes and the Fielden Stakes. Those races are different to this, though, in that this is a handicap. John Gosden is the leading trainer in this race, having won it five times.
- Mujtaba is the likely favourite for the race and arrives here having won a big race at Doncaster over a furlong further earlier in the month.
- His stablemate Protagonist has won twice over a furlong further and comes into this one in decent form, while Dual Identity is a market leader who has campaigned over a lot further than this, but goes up in class here.
Savvy Victory won at Goodwood last time out, but the ground might be a little too soft for him. Although Atrium has won his last two races, they have been over a furlong less and he might not get home here.
- Totally Charming went off third favourite for the Royal Hunt Cup but could only come home in ninth place. Something could have been wrong that day, and he’ll be a contender if he is fit here.
- Magical Morning looks the leading light for John Gosden, but was fourth from last in this race last year and has shown little to suggest it will be any more competitive here.
Cambridgeshire Meeting Betting Promotions 2022
There are a few promotions which can be used for the Cambridgeshire Handicap. Here are the pick of them:
- ITV Racing 4/1 Offer from bet365
On all races which are on ITV Racing, which the Cambridgeshire Handicap is, if you find a winner at 4/1 or more, then place a bet on the following ITV race. If it loses, get your stake back in full up to £50! With the favourite for this race likely to go off 4/1 or bigger, every horse in the race should suit this bet365 offer.
- Money back if second to the SP fav – BoyleSports
Place a bet with BoyleSports, and if your horse is beaten by the SP fav but finishes second, then you will get your money back. This offer is available up to £20.
- Best odds guaranteed – bet365, BoyleSports, BetVictor, Ladbrokes, William Hill
Place a bet on the race with any of the above bookmakers, and should you pick a winner and the horse wins at a bigger price than you originally backed it at, then you will get paid out at the bigger price! Hence the Best Odds Guaranteed name.
5 Reasons To Bet on Cambridgeshire Handicap
- The race is the biggest one of the weekend and therefore, takes place right in the middle of the day.
- This race is run over a straight 1m1f, which means that there is no luck of the draw as there might be if the race was run around a bend.
- The leading trainers and jockeys will be present in this race, so there are more and deeper betting options as a result.
- There are usually many more than 20 runners in the race, so some bookmakers will pay more places than normal, even though this is a handicap race
- Since the race is the headline attraction of a three-day meeting, we can watch and learn from the two days which precede it in order to help with selections.
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New customers only. Opt in, bet £5 at odds 2.00+ within 7 days of registering, no cashout. Get 3x £10 Free Bets, set events at odds 2.00+. 7 day bonus expiry. Card payments only. T&Cs apply, see below. begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsibly
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+, New customers only. Opt in, bet £10 on any sports (odds 2.00+) in 7 days. No cash out. Get 4x£5 sports free bets for set markets (odds 2.00+), which expire in 7 days. Offer is valid from 10:00 UK time on 16/01/2023. Card payments only. T&Cs Apply. begambleaware.org | Please Gamble Responsibly #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ - Offer for new customers at bet365. Min deposit requirement. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits and are available for use upon settlement of bets to value of qualifying deposit. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and Full T&Cs apply. Registration Required. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ | New UK players only | Min deposit req. £10 | Certain deposit methods excluded | Place 1 sport bet (3+ selections) | Excl Horse Racing | Min stake £10 | Max stake £20 | Min Odds 2/1 (3.0) | Max FreeBet £20 for football only | FreeBet valid for 7 days | FreeBet stake not returned | Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
Min Deposit: £5. Maximum Free Bet: £30. First bet on a Football or Horse Racing multiple with 3+ selections. Overall odds: 3.00 (2/1) or higher. Free Bets available upon settlement of the qualifying bet. This is offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered. 50 Bonus Spins credited on placement of qualifying Acca bet.50x bonus wagering applies as do weighting requirements, bonus Spins only available on selected games and expires 7 days after being awarded. Debit card deposits only (exclusions apply). 18+. Full T&Cs apply. . Bet The Responsible Way. Full terms apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
Betting Sites With Cambridgeshire Meeting Live Streaming
If you are not able to watch the race on television, there are a number of betting sites which live stream races, including the Cambridgeshire Handicap. Here is a list of all those that do:
Please note that certain sites require you to place a bet in order to watch, while for some you just need a funded account.
Popular Cambridgeshire Meeting Betting Markets
Win or Each Way
The main betting market for these races is the win or each way market. With the feature race likely to have in excess of 20 runners, some horse race betting sites may well pay six or even seven places on the race.
Enhanced Win Only
This market is not for the faint-hearted given the number of runners in it, yet can be rewarding if the horse you back wins. A lot of betting sites will offer you a bigger price on your selection to get you away from the each way part of a bet. It is a risk and reward one here.
A popular bet for any big race is the forecast. There are two kinds of forecast bet: the straight forecast or the reverse one. The straight forecast needs you to pick the first two horses home in the right order, whereas the reverse forecast allows you to get the first two past the post in any order.
Without the Favourite
A number of betting sites will offer up a market without the favourite in play. That means you get two chances for your selection to win – it can either win the race or come second to the betting favourite. Should either happen, you will get paid out in full.
To Be Placed
Most bookmakers will also offer up a market for a horse to be placed. This means that you win regardless of where your selection finishes, as long as it is in the quoted number of places. The price for this market is usually a lot lower than the win or each way ones.
History of Cambridgeshire Handicap
The Cambridgeshire Handicap was first run in 1839, and has had some really big name winners ridden and trained by some leading jockeys.
The race has always been run at Newmarket, and while the timing of the race has changed through the years, the length of the race and the host course never has.
Recent Cambridgeshire Handicap Winners
|2021||Bedouin’s Story||Jamie Spencer||Saeed bin Suroor|
|2020||Majestic Dawn||Paul Hanagan||Paul & Oliver Cole|
|2019||Lord North||Frankie Dettori||John Gosden|
|2018||Wissahickon||Frankie Dettori||John Gosden|
|2017||Dophin Vista||George Wood||Martyn Meade|
|2016||Spark Plug||Jimmy Fortune||Brian Meehan|
|2015||Third Time Lucky||Adam Beschizza||Richard Fahey|
|2014||Bronze Angel||Louis Steward||Marcus Tregoning|
|2013||Educate||Johnny Murtagh||Ismail Mohammed|
|2012||Bronze Angel||William Buick||Marcus Tregoning|
Cambridgeshire Handicap Key Stats
- John Gosden is the leading trainer in the race with five wins.
- Nat Flatman and George Fordham are the leading jockeys with four wins each.
- Frankie Dettori and Dean McKeown are the only jockeys to have won the race three times in the last 45 years.
- Rambo’s Hall (1992) at seven was the oldest winner since Baronet in 1980. He was eight.
- No horse has won this race more than two times.
- Seven horses have collected the trophy twice. They are: Hackler’s Pride, Christmas Daisy, Sterope, Prince de Galles, Baronet, Rambo’s Hall and Bronze Angel.
- The 2020 and 2021 winners had an SP of 40/1. The biggest priced winner of the race was Spanish Don in 2004.
- Only 2 favourites (Educate and Lord North) have won the race since 2007.
- Educate is the only horse to carry more than 9-5 to victory since 1995.
Similar Tournaments to Cambridgeshire Meeting
- 15th April 2023, Grand National: The biggest horse race in the world, which takes place at Aintree Racecourse on the second Saturday of April annually. This is a National Hunt steeplechase race over 30 fences and the marathon trip of 4m4f.
- 20th – 24th June 2022, Royal Ascot: The biggest race meeting in the world, where horses head to Ascot racecourse from around the globe for a five-day festival of flat racing. Races throughout the five days are raced over various distances for some of the biggest prizes in racing.
- 2nd June 2023, The Epsom Oaks: The third of the classics of the UK flat racing season. This is a race which takes place at Epsom racecourse over 1m4f and is restricted to fillies.
- 3rd June 2023, The Epsom Derby: The most prestigious flat race in the world, held 24 hours after the Epsom Oaks at the same racecourse. This is over the same distance as the Oaks but is for the male horses. Crowds of over 100,000 have been known to attend.
- 29th July 2023, Glorious Goodwood: This is a summer meeting held over five days, which takes place at the Sussex track of Goodwood, and is where some of the leading runners and riders in racing descend on the track. The Goodwood Cup and Sussex Stakes are among the feature races of the meeting.
Upcoming Sporting Events
Cambridgeshire Meeting Betting FAQs
The Cambridgeshire Meeting is a three-day flat racing meeting which is held every September at Newmarket.
The feature race of the Cambridgeshire Meeting is the Cambridgeshire Handicap. This race is a Class 2 handicap run on the final day of the meeting.
There are a number of good bookmakers for the meeting, but the best one is bet365 as they provide some great offers as well as allowing you to stream the races.
If you are in the UK, you can watch the meeting on ITV Racing. Most betting sites live stream the race if you have a funded account or place a bet.
The 2022 Newmarket Cambridgeshire Meeting begins on Thursday 22nd September and concludes on Saturday 24th September.
ThePuntersPage Final Say
The Cambridgeshire meeting in Newmarket promises to be a fascinating race, especially with no rain expected in the lead-up to the contest, which should allow for good ground for the horses to race on. Mujtaba is expected to go off as the favourite, but preference is for his stablemate Protagonist, who should have no problems getting the trip and getting in off the same mark it won at last time round.
To keep up with the runners and riders before the big race, make sure you check out our racecards page, and check our beginners guide to horse racing betting if you are new to the sport.