Ravens v Chargers Betting Preview, Odds & Tips | 06/01/19
Ben Rolfe (@benrolfe15) previews Baltimore Ravens v Los Angeles Chargers and provides us with his best bets for Sunday’s monster AFC Wildcard weekend clash by analysing team news, potential line-ups, head-to-head, key stats and facts and more.
Baltimore Ravens v Los Angeles Chargers Betting Preview, Odds & Tips
- Date: 06/01/19
- Time: 18:05
- Venue: M&T Bank Stadium
- Channel: Sky Sports Action
We saw this game in Los Angeles just a few weeks ago and the Ravens came out on top in a tight tense affair. This time the game will take place in Baltimore and the Ravens will naturally look to keep it tight once again. In the last game they smothered the Ravens offence and left them struggling to make plays at every point.
Saying all that the way the Ravens offence is structured meant that Chargers still had a chance to win the game late in the fourth quarter. That has been the way the Ravens have played recently and is the major downside of their run first offence. They will never accelerate away from any team and there will always be a chance for their opponents.
The Ravens will once again look to lean heavily on their run game, with their pass game being used to mix it up and keep the Chargers off balance. The Chargers defence will need to remain disciplined if they are going to prevent the Ravens breaking off big plays. It will be a long day for a defence which is built superbly to stop the modern passing offence, but perhaps no so this throwback run heavy style of offence.
Injury wise there is not much to talk about for the Ravens. At least not when you are looking at the major parts of this team.
The Chargers have more questions. Melvin Gordon is expected to suit up but there are question marks about Austin Ekeler’s health. Losing Ekeler is a blow but in Justin Jackson they have someone who can provide a change of pace from Gordon.
Head To Head
- The Ravens lead the head to head series 7-5
- The Ravens have won the last two games between the two teams, including the game played earlier this season in Los Angeles.
Key Stats & Facts
- The Chargers are 7-1 on the road this season. Given that one of their home games was in London and they lost on the road to the Rams, they are 8-0 when playing outside of Los Angeles.
- The Ravens averaged 229.6 rushing yards per game over the last seven games, with Gus Edwards and Lamar Jackson both totalling over 500 yards in that time.
- In the last matchup between the two the Ravens held the Chargers to 198 total yards, the team’s fourth-lowest in Rivers’ 13 seasons.
- Lamar Jackson has fumbled the ball in his last eight games. He has totalled 11 fumbles but has only lost four of them. Although those four have all come in the last five games.
- Los Angeles Chargers 13/10
- Baltimore Ravens 7/10
My belief is that this game will still be up for grabs in the fourth quarter. In all of the Ravens last four games both teams have had the chance to win the game late in the fourth quarter. In the previous match between these two the Chargers were driving with the chance to take the lead late in the fourth quarter. Therefore, I am going to take the Chargers getting the points in this game.
The previous game between these two had just 32 points and it never really looked like going over 40. There was some possibility of bad weather in Baltimore for this game, but it looks like it will be relatively fine. However, I still do not see this matchup being high scoring and I would be shocked if both teams went over 20 points. Therefore, I am taking the under at 41.5 points for this game.
A temptation for me in terms of anytime touchdown scorer would be to look at the Ravens defence. They turned Rivers over three times in the last game and scored a defensive touchdown. However, at 4/1 I am not sure the value is there, so I would only lean to that bet. The biggest value bet for me is Justin Jackson at 12/1 as an anytime touchdown scorer. With Ekeler questionable and Gordon battling injury, Jackson has a real shot to get into the end zone this weekend.
Gus Edwards has rushed for over 60 yards in all his last seven games. His over/under in this game is set at 58.5 rushing yards and I absolutely think he can reach that.