Redskins v Cowboys Betting Preview, Odds & Tips | 22/11/18
Ben Rolfe (@benrolfe15) previews Washington Redskins @ Dallas Cowboys and provides us with his best bets for the big Thanksgiving NFC East showdown by analysing team news, potential line-ups, head-to-head, key stats and facts and more.
Washington Redskins @ Dallas Cowboys Betting Preview, Odds & Tips
- Date: 22/11/18
- Time: 21:30
- Venue: AT & T Stadium, Texas
- Channel: Sky Sports Action
This game looks extremely to how it did three weeks ago. The Redskins were sitting at 5-2 and the Cowboys were coming off their bye at 3-4. The Redskins have suffered some major injuries since then, losing some key offensive linemen and their quarterback Alex Smith. They now sit at 6-4 and just one game ahead of the Cowboys.
The Cowboys are now on a two game win streak, both on the road against playoff teams from last season. They have rushed for 303 yards in the last two games and broken their habit of having turnovers in every other game. Now they are coming home to face a depleted team, who are starting their backup quarterback for the first time this season on a short week.
Both of these teams are dominated by defence and rank in the bottom-10 for points scored and yards gained. They have both leaned heavily on the run game this year from an offensive point of view but they also both defend the run extremely well,
Alex Smith broke two bones in his lower leg in the Redskins game against the Texans and Colt McCoy will be starting at quarterback for the Redskins in this game. There will also be shortages on the offensive line and at wide receiver which will limit the offensive potential of this team.
Geoff Swaim will miss numerous weeks with a broken wrist and Sean Lee is likely missing. Otherwise it is hard to know too much given the short week. It looks like Michael Gallup may be out after the desperately sad news about his brother’s death. David Irving is expected to be out and that would be a fairly significant loss.
Head To Head
- The Cowboys lead the all-time series 70-43-2
- The Cowboys had won eight of the previous 10 games entering this season.
- This will be the third year in a row these teams have met on Thanksgiving with the Cowboys having won both of them (38-14 in 2017 & 31-26 in 2016).
- The Redskins won the previous game this season between the two 20-17 in Washington.
Key Stats & Facts
- The Washington Redskins rank 25th in total yards and 27th in points scored
- The Dallas Cowboys ran 27th in total yards and 25th in points scored.
- The Redskins have forced the third most turnovers (21) and the second most fumbles (10)
- The Cowboys defence rank in the top five in preventing passing touchdowns, rushing yards, rushing touchdowns and rushing yards per attempt,
- Both teams rank in the bottom 10 for passing yards and passing touchdowns.
- Washington Redskins 59/20
- Dallas Cowboys 1/3
It is almost impossible to look beyond the under in this game which opened at 40 points. These two teams have both really struggled on offense this season. The Cowboys could only score 22 points against a leaky Falcons defense and the Redskins have offensive line issues and a backup quarterback. I would also look to take the under on total touchdowns in this game. This game is likely to involve a field position battle and should come down to the kickers.
The Cowboys are widely 8.5 point favourites this week and I think it is too much. The Redskins offense is shredded but I just do not see the Cowboys scoring enough points to win by that much. However, I am not betting on Colt McCoy on the road on a short week. My temptation would be to throw this game in a six point teaser with the early game, taking the Cowboys down to 2.5 point favourites or the Redskins up to being within 14.5 points.
In terms of other bets I like Dak Prescott to score with his legs at some point in the game. Prescott has four touchdowns so far this season, including in his last two games and all four coming in the last five games.Otherwise the value in this game is free Thursday Night Football rather than from a gambling point of view.