Eagles v Saints Betting Preview, Odds & Tips | 13/01/19
Ben Rolfe (@benrolfe15) previews Philadelphia Eagles @ New Orleans Saints and provides us with his best bets for Sunday’s divisional round faceoff in the Big Easy by analysing team news, potential line-ups, head-to-head, key stats and facts and more.
- Season record: +68.52 units on 90 selections
- Playoff record: +15.18 units on 15 selections
Philadelphia Eagles @ New Orleans Saints Betting Preview, Odds & Tips
- Date: 13/01/19
- Time: 21:40
- Venue: Mercedes Benz Superdome, New Orleans
- Channel: Sky Sports USA
This is a repeat of one of the more difficult to believe regular season games we saw this year. The Saints demolished the Eagles 48-7 in Week 11 and at the time it seemed like they had all but ended the Eagles playoff hopes. Only one ream in history has avenged a 40-plus point regular-season loss in the postseason (Jets vs. Patriots in 2010).
The Eagles come into this game on an extremely good run off form. Since that terrible performance in New Orleans the Eagles have won six of the last seven games. The only game they lost was an overtime game against the Dallas Cowboys. Since Nick Foles took over as the Eagles quarterback this season, they are 4-0. The Eagles secondary is ravaged but their pass rush has stepped big time the last few weeks. They need to do that again this week to prevent Drew Brees and the Saints shredding them.
After losing in Week 1 the New Orleans Saints only lost two more times this season. One of those losses was in Week 17 when they rested many offensive starters. The other game came when they were smothered by a strong Dallas Cowboys defence. However, since demolishing the Eagles in Week 11 the saints offence has looked a little off colour. They have only managed to reach the 30-point mark twice in the last six games, having reached it in 8-of-11 before that. Their defence has carried them over that period and now looks like one of the best units in the league.
The Saints have four tackles and a guard who are considered questionable. When you are facing an incredibly talented defensive line, which has a ton of depth then that is a bad sign for this offence. The positive is that Ted Ginn and Alex Okafor should both suit up.
The expectation is that both Alshon Jeffery and Golden Tate will suit up this week. However, there are question marks over two important parts of this team. Jason Peters absence would be extremely detrimental to the offensive line and the same can be said if Michael Bennett and the defensive line.
Head To Head
- The Philadelphia Eagles lead the all-time series 16-12.
- The Saints have won four of the last five games between the two teams, and four of the last five played in New Orleans.
- Drew Brees is 2-0 when facing the Eagles in the postseason, both previous wins were by three points or less.
- Nick Foles only playoff loss was to the Saints in the 2013 Wild Card game (26-24)
Key Stats & Facts
- The Saints finished the season with the best points differential in the league (+151).
- Drew Brees has never lost a playoff game in the Superdome (5-0), which is tied for the highest postseason win percentage.
- Nick Foles has the highest passer rating in NFL history in the postseason, 105.2.
- On third downs in the postseason, his passer rating is 141.9, his completion percentage 76% and his TD-to-INT ratio is 5-0.
- The Eagles coach Doug Peterson has won his first four playoff games as a head coach.
- Philadelphia Eagles 16/5
- New Orleans Saints 5/19
Ultimately everything in this game points to a Saints victory. However, you cannot deny the Nick Foles effect in this game. There is an opportunity here to thread the needle, as we have discussed many times over the last two weeks. I think the Eagles can keep this game with the eight-point spread, but I also think the Eales win. Therefore, a bet on the Saints to win by 1-10 makes a nice combination with the Eagles and the points.
I am going back to the Dallas Goedert well this week. He came up twice in big spots for the Eagles and I think they look his way at key moments once again. The value remains nice on him to find the end zone this week once again.