Patrick Gillen (@PatrickGillen94) previews Man United v Tottenham and provides us with his best bets for Monday night’s crucial Premier League clash at Old Trafford, analysing team news, potential line-ups, head-to-head, key stats and facts and more.
Man Utd v Tottenham Betting Preview, Odds & Tips
- Date: 27/08/18
- Time: 20:00
- Venue: Old Trafford (Manchester)
- Channel: Sky Sports Main Event
Manchester United will be desperate to bounce back after suffering a shock 3-2 defeat away to Brighton last Sunday.
Jose Mourinho has come under intense criticism this week following the defeat and a win would go a long way to clearing the media storm surrounding the club.
Mourinho’s men won’t have it easy, though, as they welcome an in-form Tottenham side who are looking to continue their 100% winning start to the season.
Spurs have so far claimed three points from both Newcastle and Fulham and head north to Manchester hoping to make it three wins from three.
Doing so would take Tottenham level on points with Liverpool, Chelsea and Watford who have all won each of their opening three fixtures.
The Red Devils will be encouraged by their recent home record against Tottenham as the London side have lost on their last four visits to Old Trafford, without even finding the back of the net once.
The Lilywhites will look, as ever, to front-man Harry Kane to end the drought, after the Englishman finally broke his Premier League barren spell in the month of August.
Spurs’ number 10 had reached over 1000 minutes of August action without finding the net before breaking his hoodoo with a trademark clinical finish in the 3-1 win over Fulham at Wembley.
Manchester United could welcome back Alexis Sanchez after the Chilean missed out on the defeat to Brighton.
Both Nemanja Matic and Antonio Valencia are expected to be available having both trained this week.
Hugo Lloris may be excluded from the Tottenham squad after the Spurs captain was charged with drink driving having being arrested in the early hours of Friday morning.
Victor Wanyama is still not ready to take part as the midfielder recovers from a knee injury.
Heung-Min Son’s participation in the Asian Games with South Korea means that the forward remains unavailable.
Man Utd Potential Starting XI: De Gea, Valencia, Bailly, Smalling, Lindelof, Young, Matic, Fred, Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku.
Tottenham Potential Starting XI: Vorm, Trippier, Alderweireld, Sanchez, Vertonghen, Davies, Dier, Eriksen, Alli, Moura, Kane.
Stats & Facts
- Only in the 1992-93 season have the Red Devils lost more than one of their opening three matches of a Premier League campaign.
- A London team has not won away against Manchester United in the Premier League since Spurs' victory on New Year's Day 2014. Since then, London clubs have taken just seven points from a possible 66 at Old Trafford.
- United's next Premier League home defeat will be their 50th in the competition at Old Trafford. Thirty one percent of those defeats have happened since Sir Alex Ferguson left as manager.
- Since taking over ahead of the 2016-17 season, Jose Mourinho has guided his team to 153 points – 16 fewer than Spurs and 32 less than Manchester City.
- Mauricio Pochettino has won 199 matches in all competitions as a manager, including 123 with Tottenham.
- Harry Kane has only scored once in eight league games against Manchester United. His solitary goal in 645 minutes in this fixture is his worst Premier League ratio against any of the 26 different teams he has scored against.
- Kane has scored 18 goals versus established top-six opposition in the Premier League, which is two more than Romelu Lukaku despite playing 2,008 minutes fewer than the Belgian in those games.
- Pochettino has lost 11 competitive fixtures against Jose Mourinho, more than against any other manager.
Head To Head
Man United – 90 – D 48 – Tottenham – 51
Man Utd 31/20 – D 23/10 – Tottenham 2/1 (BetVictor)
A wounded Manchester United has historically been a dangerous animal to contend with and, given United’s dominant record at home to Spurs in the Premier League, they will fancy themselves to get the three points. However, with their fragile backline and Spurs’ undoubted quality in attacking areas, a score draw bet may prove profitable.