What is a Yankee bet? How does a Yankee bet work? In this article, we answer both these questions as well as explain how to place a Yankee, what an each-way Yankee is, any relevant Yankee bet examples and how to use a Yankee bet calculator.
What is a Yankee Bet?
For starters, think of Yankee bet as a type of multi-bet accumulator. Here, you back four selections across four different events. Now, 11 wagers are created out of these and placed on the four selections. These bets are — 6 doubles, 4 trebles, and one four-fold accumulator.
With this, you have a total of 11 possible winning combinations, instead of just the one that you would’ve had with only a four-fold. It is very similar to Lucky 15; the only difference being that a Yankee bet doesn’t feature the four single bets.
In a nutshell:
- A Yankee bet is a four-selection wager that comprises 11 bets – 6 double bets, 4 treble bets, and 1 four-fold acca. Therefore, a £1 Yankee will total to £11.
- Your winnings from a Yankee bet depend on the number of selections that land, and the odds riding on them. Remember that there isn’t the element of a single bet here. Hence, a minimum of two selections will have to land for you to get a payout.
Once you add your selections to the bet slip, a Yankee bet will look something like this:
Doubles: Any combination of 1-2; 1-3; 1-4; 2-3; 2-4; 3-4 MUST WIN for a payout
Trebles: Any combination of 1-2-3; 1-3-4; 2-3-4; 1-2-4 MUST WIN for a payout
Four-fold Acca: 1-2-3-4 MUST WIN for a payout
- The best part is that you can place a win-only Yankee or an each-way Yankee if you wish. Understand that a win-only Yankee would be the ideal choice if the four selections don’t carry the most impressive odds.
- On the other hand, should the selections have longer odds, consider an each-way Yankee as the takeaway can still be sizeable.
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply. See full terms below. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first 5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4x 5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. No cashout, restrictions + Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
• New UK customers only. Register using the promo code BETFRED60, deposit, and place first bet of £10+ on Sports (cumulative price Evens+) within 7 days of registration. • First bet must be on Sports. £20 in Free Bets to be used on Sports, £10 in Free Bets to be used on Lotto, and 50 Free Spins (20p per spin) credited within 48 hours of bet settlement. • Further £20 in Free Bets credited 5 days after settlement. Bonuses have a 7-day expiry. Payment restrictions apply. SMS verification and/or Proof of I.D and address may be required. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
*New UK customers (Excluding NI) only. Mobile only. £20 in FREE Bets (FB) as £10 in sports bets & a £10 casino bonus (CB). Min stake £10. Min odds Evs. FB applied on 1st settlement of any qualifying bet. FB 7 day expiry. 1 FB offer per customer, household & IP address only. Payment restrictions. 14 days to accept £10 CB, then active for 3 days. CB 5x wagering & max redeemable £100. Game restrictions apply. Cashed out/Free Bets won’t apply. 30 days to qualify. 18+. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ | New players only | Available until 23:59 GMT 31.12.2025 Each challenge has its own TCs. Eligible Bets must be placed for each respective Challenge during the Promotional Period including the following: ACCA, Football, In-Play, and Casino. Each challenge has its own set of TCs and can only be completed 1x. Available to claim: 20 Free Spins, £10 Free Bet, 50% Back up Free Bet up to £20, £10 Casino Bonus when you wager £50+. If all are completed you will receive Max £20 Free Bet to be used on any sport. Gamble Responsibly. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
Yankee Bet Calculator
A Yankee bet calculator will let you work out your predicted Yankee bet winnings:
How to use a Yankee Bet Calculator
- 1Begin by selecting the odds format, choosing from decimals, fractions, or American odds.
- 2Select whether you wish to input the Total Stake or Stake per Bet using the drop down menu.
- 3Input the amount you wish to bet.
- 4Input the Odds for each bet.
- 5The calculator will process the amounts and you can select whether your bet will or has won, lost, or is void.
- 6Select Reset to calculate another Yankee bet.
How does a Yankee Bet Work?
Let us use an example to make things clearer. Suppose we have four football matches, and you have chosen to back the following four selections in the Full-time Result market:
- Liverpool to win against West Ham United
- Manchester City to win against Newcastle United
- Manchester United to win against Chelsea
- Tottenham Hotspur to win against Fulham
If you place a Yankee bet, the following 11 bets are made:
- Liverpool will beat West Ham; Manchester City will beat Newcastle United
- Liverpool will beat West Ham; Manchester United will beat Chelsea
- Liverpool will beat West Ham; Tottenham Hotspur will beat Fulham
- Manchester City will beat Newcastle United; Manchester United will beat Chelsea
- Manchester City will beat Newcastle United; Tottenham will beat Fulham
- Manchester United will beat Chelsea; Tottenham Hotspur will beat Fulham
- Liverpool will beat West Ham; Manchester City will beat Newcastle United; Manchester United will beat Chelsea
- Liverpool will beat West Ham; Manchester City will beat Newcastle United; Tottenham Hotspur will beat Fulham
- Liverpool will beat West Ham; Manchester United will beat Chelsea; Tottenham Hotspur will beat Fulham
- Manchester City will beat Newcastle United; Manchester United will beat Chelsea; Tottenham Hotspur will beat Fulham
1 Four-fold Acca
- Liverpool will beat West Ham; Manchester City will beat Newcastle United; Manchester United will beat Chelsea; Tottenham Hotspur will beat Fulham
- Returns depend on the number of selections that land, as predicted. For example, the chances of all the four selections winning are lower than any two of them coming through. Therefore, if all the four land, you would be paid out on the 1 four-fold acca, 6 doubles, and 4 trebles they create.
- Should (any) two selections (Liverpool and Manchester City, for example) win, you would only be paid out on the 1 double.
- Should (any) three selections (Liverpool, Manchester City, and Manchester United, for example) win, you’d be paid out on the 1 treble and 3 doubles.
- Also, you must keep in mind that the original stake gets multiplied by 11 (since 11 bets are made) to cover every variation. This means that if you stake £2, the total stake would equal £22 (£2 x 11).
- The more substantial the stake, the larger the payout will be.
As long as you fancy a few goal-scorers or think you can predict the correct score in a game, it is really straightforward to place a Yankee bet. For instance, in the below example, you can place a £1 Yankee with William Hill on Barcelona to beat Bayern Munich, Man City to beat Lyon, Atlético Madrid to beat Leipzig, and Atalanta to beat PSG. The total stake will be £11.
Likewise, a £1 Yankee with CORAL on PSG to beat Atalanta, Barcelona to beat Bayern Munich, Lyon to beat Man City, and Leipzig to beat Atlético Madrid can place you in the ballpark of £659.70 (if all selections win). Here, the total stake will also be £11.
Where to Place a Yankee Bet?
You can place a Yankee bet on any sport, as long as you back four selections across four different events. However, much like accumulator bets, the most popular sports for a Yankee are football, horse racing, and greyhound racing.
How to place a Yankee bet on football
This is easy. Choose your selections from four different matches and head to the online bet slip. Scroll down and click on the ‘Yankee bet’ option. Enter your stake, and find your estimated winnings. You will get a payout should at least two selections land.
Most leading bookmakers will allow you to place a Yankee bet across markets, including the classic Match Betting and other popular ones like Both Teams to Score and First Goalscorer. You can mix and match markets as well. For instance, two selections can be from the Match Betting market, while the other two can be from the First Goalscorer and Both Teams to Score markets.
As can be seen from the example below, you can place a £2 Yankee bet with Ladbrokes on Man City to beat Lyon (Match Betting), Barcelona vs. Bayern Munich (Both Teams to Score), a 1-0 first-half score to Atlético squaring off against Leipzig (First Half Correct Score), and a 2-1 ‘away’ victory to PSG vs. Atalanta (Correct Score).
The total stake will be £22.
How to place a Yankee bet in horse racing and greyhound racing
It works exactly the same way as it does in football. Simply select the four horses or greyhounds you fancy across four different events, head to the bet slip, and type in the stake. Check your estimated winnings. You will get a payout if at least two selections land.
Let's use a bet on greyhound racing as an example. With Ladbrokes, you can place a £2 Yankee bet on Savana Maestro to win the 18:17 Crayford, Mays Cain to win the 19:24 Crayford, Farloe Outlander to win the 17:28 Hove, and Mayfield Oreo to win the 18:41 Newcastle.
The total stake will be £22.
Can I place an Each-Way Yankee?
Of course you can place an each-way Yankee, and you place it the exact same way. All you have to do is check the ‘E/W’ box next to the ‘Yankee bet’ option on the slip. Remember that:
- While placing an each-way Yankee bet, you are essentially doubling the number of bets from 11 to 22 — 11 for your selections to win, and 11 for them to place.
- It also means that your stake now gets multiplied by 22. Therefore, the initial outlay of £1 will now stand at £22. All in all, think your stake through before placing an each-way Yankee.
- Even if none of the selections win, but finish in their ‘place’ positions, you’d still be paid out handsomely with an each-way Yankee. In essence, each-way Yankee betting creates a better chance for returns.
- Alternatively, you might want to back some selections to win and others to place. Simply check the ‘E/W’ box next to the selections on the bet slip. The number of bets, in a scenario like this, stays at 11.
- Usually, each-way Yankee bets are available for horse racing and greyhound racing. These are incredibly popular, particularly during the two highlights of the National Hunt calendar – the Cheltenham Festival betting sites and bet on Grand National 2022 – because of the competitive field size.
You can wager an each-way Yankee with any of the bookies we recommend. For instance, you can place an each-way Yankee with Ladbrokes on Epatante to win the 9:00 Champion Hurdle, Honeysuckle to win the 9:40 Mares’ Hurdle, Fury Road to win the 11:00 National Hunt Chase, and Appreciate It to win the 7:00 Ballymore Novices’ Hurdle in the Cheltenham Festival Outright market.
Advantages of a Yankee Bet
Now that you know what a Yankee bet is and how it works, you might be thinking, “Wait a minute… I could wager the same money on a four-fold and take home more”.
Probably yes, but remember that for your four-fold accumulator (or any traditional acca, for that matter) to pay, all selections have to land. All you have is just one winning combination; should even one of the selections disappoint, you’d have to leave empty-handed.
But, with a Yankee bet:
- You have not one, not two, but 11 possible winning combinations.
- More importantly, you only need 50% of the selections to win, for a guaranteed return on your investment.
That is precisely why a Yankee bet is an excellent strategy to diversify your wager and spread the risk.
The only downside is that it requires 11x the original stake, considering you have 11 bets instead of one. But if you are confident about the form of your selections, you can do very well with a Yankee bet.
Yankee vs. Super Yankee vs. Lucky 15
- Super Yankee/Canadian
Also called a Canadian bet, a Super Yankee bet works much like a Yankee; the only difference is that here, you must back five selections (across five different events) instead of four.
- Lucky 15
A Lucky 15 bet also features four selections. However, there is a difference. Like a Yankee bet, a Lucky 15 has all the 11 bets + an additional four singles (one for every selection). Therefore, a Lucky 15 bet has 15 bets in total.
- Yankee vs. Super Yankee vs. Lucky 15
|Parameter||Yankee||Super Yankee||Lucky 15|
|Number of selections||4||5||4|
|Number of bets||11||26||15|
|Bet structure||6 doubles + 4 trebles + 1 four-fold acca||10 doubles + 10 trebles + 5 four-fold accas + 1 five-fold acca||4 singles + 6 doubles + 4 trebles + 1 four-fold acca|
Yankee Bet FAQs
A Yankee bet is a type of multi-bet accumulator. It is a four-selection wager that consists of 11 bets – 6 double bets, 4 treble bets, and 1 four-fold accumulator.
As long as you have four selections, you can place a Yankee on multiple sports. However, the most popular sports for placing this kind of bet are football, greyhound racing, and horse racing.
A non-runner doesn’t affect the Yankee bet in the way that all the 11 bets stand. With one winner and one non-runner in a double, you’d be paid out at the single winner’s value. Likewise, with two winners and one non-runner in a treble, you’d be paid out at the value of the double (since two winners). Similarly, three winners and one non-runner in a four-fold would see you get paid at the value of the treble (since three winners) created.
Of course you can. Just tick the E/W checkbox next to the ‘potential returns’ on your bet slip. Remember that an each-way Yankee automatically doubles the original stake. That said, it increases your chances of getting a payout, considering there would be 22 bets now – 11 bets for your selections to win, and 11 for them to place.
The Yankee bet is similar to the Lucky 15, but without the four single bets. That is, while a Yankee bet consists of 11 selections, Lucky 15 consists of 15.
A Yankee bet is perfect if you believe that two (or more) of your selections would be sure-fire winners. However, the wager doesn’t pay if only one of your selections land. Minimum two selections have to come up for you to get a payout from a Yankee bet.
ThePuntersPage Final Say
Designed to hedge against the risks of not getting a payout, a Yankee bet is undoubtedly the ideal choice if you feel confident about the minimum two selections coming through. It follows that you can take home sizeable winnings even if two of the selections don’t land.
That being said, because of this security, a Yankee bet could be a little less rewarding when compared to a treble bet, for instance. With the latter, all three selections must land if you were to get a payout. That way, the risk is slightly more, but so are the rewards. To know more you can also check out our detailed analysis on types of system bet.
However, no matter what the wager is, we recommend you to be careful with your money. It is easy to go overboard with all the excitement, but impossible to get back what you may lose in the process. Be sure to read up on some of the proven strategies for sports betting and read our bookmaker reviews to make informed decisions.
Bet intelligently, bet responsibly.