Newcastle v Man Utd Betting Preview, Odds & Tips | 02/01/19
Josh Waudby (@Josh_Waudby) previews Newcastle v Manchester United and provides us with his best bets for Wednesdays televised showdown by analysing team news, potential line-ups, head-to-head, key stats and facts and more.
Newcastle v Manchester United Betting Preview, Odds & Tips
- Date: 02/01/19
- Time: 20:00
- Venue: St James Park
- Channel: Sky Sports Main Event
Newcastle will be looking to put 2018 behind them and start the new year off with a fresh performance against high flyers Manchester United. The Magpies ended 2018 with only 1 win in their 7 previous games, leaving them just 3 points clear of the drop zone.
United had a contrasting end to 2018, with 3 wins on the spin under new boss Solskjaer. He really has been getting the best out of his attacking players, especially 90 million pound man Pogba. He looks a completely different player now and it starting to prove exactly what makes him one of the most valuable players in the world.
Both teams will be looking to start the new year with a bang, United have managed to claw themselves back and are now only 8 points outside of the top 4. Newcastle managed to beat United in the last time the pair met at St James Park, a 1-0 victory with a goal from Matt Ritchie.
For Newcastle they will be once again without Ki Sung-Yong due to his international duties with South Korea at the Asian cup.
United will be without Centre back trio Rojo, Smalling and Bailly. The respective pair are still injured and Bailly will start his suspension after his late red card against Bournemouth last time out.
Potential Newcastle Starting XI: Dubravka, Yedlin, Schar, Dummett, Ritchie, Shelvey, Diame, Kennedy, Perez, Rondon.
Potential Manchester United Starting XI: De Gea, Young, Lindelof, Jones, Shaw, Herrera, Matic, Pogba, Lingard, Rashford Lukaku.
Head To Head
- United have won 2 of the previous 5 meetings between the pair, Newcastle have 1 win with the other 2 settled as a draw.
- Newcastle have beaten United only twice at St James Park in the last 10 years.
- United have only failed to score 4 times away against Newcastle in the past 20 years.
Key Stats & Facts
- Since the appointment of Solskjaer United have been on relentless forming, scoring 12 goals in just 3 games.
- After a brief turnaround in form, Newcastle have struggled as of late with only 1 win in their last 7, with 3 draws and 3 losses.
- Rondon and Pogba both boast a good scoring record of late, Rondon netting 5 in his last 8, with Pogba notching 4 in just 3 games.
- Newcastle 5/1
- Draw 16/5
- Manchester United 3/5
Although Man Utd have been playing superb in the attack, their defence is still below par. With a list of injury’s and suspensions it will again be a re-jigged back 4.
Rondon has 5 goals in his last 8 games and will be seeking to continue this form against an unstable United back line.