The Wells Fargo Championship is a PGA Tour golf tournament that takes place in early May at the Quail Hollow Club in Charlotte in North Carolina, USA, making for some great Wells Fargo betting opportunities. We explore this and more in detail throughout this guide, bringing you the best tips and predictions for this event.
- Tournament Structure for the Wells Fargo Championship
- Best Betting Sites for the Wells Fargo Championship
- Best Bookies for Wells Fargo Championship – Top 5 Ranked
- Wells Fargo Championship Betting Odds, Promotions, Tips & Predictions
- 5 Reasons to Bet on The Wells Fargo Championship
- Wells Fargo Championship Betting Sites With Live Streaming
- Popular Wells Fargo Championship Betting Markets
- History of the Wells Fargo Championship
- Similar Tournaments to the Wells Fargo Championship
- Upcoming Sporting Events
- Wells Fargo Championship FAQs
- ThePuntersPage Final Say
Tournament Structure for the Wells Fargo Championship
- The Wells Fargo Championship is a standard professional PGA Tour stroke play event, with players competing for a combined prize pool of $7.9 million. Play lasts for four days - Thursday through Sunday - with a cut enforced after Friday, designed to cull the stragglers in the field. Those that make the cut will stay and compete during the following two days. By the close of play on Sunday, the tournament should have found its winner - if not, a playoff over three holes will be held to give the tournament another chance to find its champion, which is what happened in 2004-2006 and 2011-2013.
- The Quail Hollow Club, home to the 2021 Presidents Cup, is famous for possessing one of the toughest holes on the entire PGA Tour known as the Green Mile, which covers holes 16, 17, and 18. Many a campaign has torpedoed here, with the under-par scores shattering as players are defeated by bogeys or worse during these final three holes.
- For starters, the 16th hole, which is par 4, sits on the edge of a lake. The 17th hole is par 3 and includes a pond feature that runs alongside the length of the hole, while the final hole is a narrow par 4, which has a bunker on the right and a creek winding along the entire left flank, making it extremely dangerous.
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New UK+IRE Customers only. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first 5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4x 5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. No cashout, restrictions + Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New customers only. Opt in, bet £10 at odds 2.00+ within 7 days, no cashout. Get 3x £10 Free Bets, set events at odds 2.00+. Plus a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw max £250. Plus 100 Free Spins. 100 Free Spins have no wagering. Bonuses and Spins expire in 7 days. Card payments only. Please Gamble Responsibly. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ - Offer for new customers at bet365. Min deposit requirement. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits and are available for use upon settlement of bets to value of qualifying deposit. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
New customers using Promo code H30 only, Min £10/€10 stake, min odds 1/2, free bets paid as 2 x £15/€15, free bets credited after settlement of first qualifying bet, free bets will expire 30 days after the qualifying bet is placed, payment method/player/country restrictions apply. See full terms below. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
T&Cs APPLY, 18+ ONLY
18+ New customers only. Place your FIRST bet on any sportsbook market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund for this offer is £20. Only deposits made using cards or Apple Pay will qualify for this promotion. T&Cs apply. Paddy's Rewards Club: Get a £10 free bet when you place 5x bets of £10+. Full T&Cs apply. BeGambleAware.org #ad
Best Bookies for Wells Fargo Championship – Top 5 Ranked
#4 William Hill
#5 Paddy Power
Wells Fargo Championship Betting Odds, Promotions, Tips & Predictions
Golf is quite simply one of the best sports around when it comes to betting. Its format suits any wager due to the variety of markets it throws up, together with long-priced favourites that result from the huge field of competitors fighting it out every week of the year.
The 2022 renewal of the Wells Fargo Championship will begin on Thursday the 5th of May and conclude on Sunday the 8th of May. Play will take place at the Quail Hollow Club in Charlotte, North Carolina, USA. Here, players will be forced to successfully navigate the infamous Green Mile, which takes its name from the 1999 Stephen King book of the same name.
Holes 16, 17 and 18 in this course are considered to be the toughest of their kind in golf, presenting quite a challenge to any player hoping to win this annual PGA event.
Wells Fargo Championship Betting Odds 2022
|Corey Conners||20/1||William Hill|
|Matthew Fitzpatrick||22/1||Bet Victor|
|Tony Finau||22/1||Bet Victor|
|Russell Henley||33/1||Bet Victor|
|Keegan Bradley||33/1||William Hill|
Wells Fargo Championship Betting Tips & Predictions 2022
The odds are all in favour of Northern Ireland's Rory McIlroy successfully defending his title this year, however do surprisingly low odds on Corey Conners (currently ranked 31st) suggest that many are expecting a great performance by the latter. Despite only having a single career win so far, Conners is currently in good form and if he manages to capitalise on his competitors possible slip-ups, then he could land himself his second title.
Two other players we will be keeping a close eye on are Tony Finau and Russell Henley.
Wells Fargo Championship Betting Promotions 2022
- William Hill make a great betting partner for the Wells Fargo Championship, with their Bet £10, Get £30 in free bets (credited as 2x£15 bets) welcome offer opening a world of betting opportunities.
- Alternatively, you might like the look of a bonus offering double winnings (up to £100), available with LeoVegas.
5 Reasons to Bet on The Wells Fargo Championship
- The PGA Tour will be in full swing.
- It takes place a fortnight before the PGA Championship and is a good form indicator.
- The action is top-class.
- All of the top golfers will be there.
- Players must take on the thrilling Green Mile.
Wells Fargo Championship Betting Sites With Live Streaming
- William Hill
Popular Wells Fargo Championship Betting Markets
Golf invariably offers better value than other sports because there are very large fields at the start of a competition, meaning that the odds, even on world number ones and tournament favourites, can be much larger than they would be elsewhere.
In addition, a massive range of alternative betting opportunities arise from the way the game is played and the formats of the tournaments. The Wells Fargo, with its infamous Green Mile trio of holes, is no different. Below, we've compiled the best and most popular betting markets for this event.
Outright bets are simplest wager in the game: a straightforward bet on a player to win the tournament or not. All you need to do is make your selection and back it up with a stake of your choosing. If your pick turns out to be crowned the victor of the Wells Fargo Championship, then you'll get a payout which, this being golf, should be quite significant. If your selection does not win, then you won't see any returns.
Best Wells Fargo Championship betting site for Outright Winner: Coral
An each-way bet is designed to give punters a little bit of bettors’ insurance. What we mean by that is that it allows for your selection to not quite win, but still result in a payout. For twice the stake, your selection can come within what are known as ‘places'. The bet itself when staked is one part win, one part place.
In the pre-internet era, places at golf tournaments would usually mean finishing in the top three or four, but today, with all of our online bookmakers, this could mean any number of places due to the competitive nature of the industry. Because of this, it is worth checking on how many places the bookies are offering on each-way bets at the Wells Fargo Championship.
Best Wells Fargo Championship betting site for each-way betting: Paddy Power
1st Round Three Ball-Betting
The idea behind three-ball betting in golf is that punters bet on which player in a three-player group will shoot the lowest round of the group. These bets are normally available in the 1st and 2nd rounds of a tournament, but are based on the outcome of just one solitary 18-hole round. It does not matter how well your pick does in the wider tourney; all that matters is that they post the best score of the players that they have been grouped within the three-ball betting market.
Best Wells Fargo Championship betting site for first round three-ball betting: BoyleSports
Winner of The Arnold Palmer Award
The PGA Tour’s annual Rookie of the Year is now called the Arnold Palmer Award, the winner of which is decided by jury vote. A previous Arnold Palmer award was given to the highest earner of the season, while Rookie of the Year awards have been presented on the PGA Tour since 1990. Past winners include Tiger Woods, Ernie Els, Vijay Singh, Rickie Fowler and Jordan Spieth, so if you have been watching closely and have a good enough idea of who might win this award, this might very well be the bet for you.
Best Wells Fargo Championship betting site for Winner of the Arnold Palmer Award: Mr Green
History of the Wells Fargo Championship
- One of the younger stops on the PGA Tour, the Wells Fargo Championship started out in 2003. Back then it was called the Wachovia Championship, a title that lasted until 2009 when it was renamed the Quail Hollow Championship.
- In 2017, Quail Hollow hosted the PGA Championship, forcing the Wells Fargo Championship to relocate temporarily to the Eagle Point Golf Club, also in North Carolina.
Recent Wells Fargo Championship Winners
|2021||Rory McIlroy||Northern Ireland|
|2019||Max Homa||United States|
|2017||Brian Harman||United States|
|2016||James Hahn||United States|
|2015||Rory McIlroy||Northern Ireland|
|2014||J. B. Holmes||United States|
|2013||Derek Ernst||United States|
|2012||Rickie Fowler||United States|
Wells Fargo Championship Key Stats
- In the 2015 edition, Rory McIlroy shot a course record of 61.
- That same year, Rory went on to win the championship for a second time, but his winning margin of seven strokes remains a tournament record.
- To give you a feel for what the Green Mile does to form, since 2003, professional golfers here have posted an aggregate 1,144 under par on holes 1 through 15. For the final three holes – The Green Mile – that equivalent score is 6,305 OVER par.
- In that time, 1,444 shots have landed in the Green Mile water hazards.
Similar Tournaments to the Wells Fargo Championship
- May 26th – 29th 2022, Charles Schwab Challenge: One of five invitational PGA events, the Charles Schwab takes place each year in Fort Worth, Texas at the Colonial Country Club.
- June 2nd – 5th 2022, The Memorial: Founded by the legendary Jack Nicklaus, the Memorial Tournament is one of the most rewarding on the tour, offering an extra year’s exemption for the winner.
- June 16th – 19th 2022, US Open: One of only four majors on the PGA Tour held each year, the 2022 US Open will be held at Torey Pines in San Diego, California.
Upcoming Sporting Events
Wells Fargo Championship FAQs
Sky Sports is the TV home of the PGA tour in the UK, and hence will also be broadcasting the Wells Fargo Championship.
Bookmakers will all be running their own promotions for this, so there is no hard rule on how many places are paid.
The Wells Fargo Championships boasts a collective purse of $8.1 million, with the winner taking home $1.458 million in prize money.
The weather at this time of year in Charlotte, North Carolina, is generally warm with temperatures around 20°C.
This a par-71 course and event.
Yes – most, if not all, bookmakers will run a three-ball betting market.
ThePuntersPage Final Say
The par-71 Wells Fargo Championship is one of the most eagerly anticipated stops on the PGA Tour – not least because of the dramatic endings this tournament has rewarded us with in the past. It’s a beefy course, reserved for the absolute best, and, of course, all players must walk the Green Mile four times if they are to be in with a shout of winning. But, with a winning paycheque of $1.458 million on offer, it is most definitely worth it.